Sixth Avenue – officially Avenue of the Americas, although this name is seldom used by New Yorkers – is a major thoroughfare in New York City's borough of Manhattan, on which traffic runs northbound, or "uptown". It is commercial for much of its length.
Sixth Avenue begins four blocks below Canal Street, at Franklin Street in TriBeCa, where the northbound Church Street divides into Sixth Avenue to the left and the local continuation of Church Street to the right, which then ends at Canal Street. From this beginning, Sixth Avenue traverses SoHo and Greenwich Village, roughly divides Chelsea from the Flatiron District and NoMad, passes through the Garment District and skirts the edge of the Theater District while passing through Midtown Manhattan.
Sixth Avenue's northern end is at Central Park South, adjacent to the Artists Gate traffic entrance to Central Park at Center Drive. Historically, Sixth Avenue continued north of Central Park, but that segment was renamed Lenox Avenue in 1887 and co-named Malcolm X Boulevard in 1987.
|Other name(s)||Avenue of the Americas|
|Owner||City of New York|
|Length||3.7 mi (6.0 km)|
|Location||Manhattan, New York City|
|South end||Church / Franklin Streets in Tribeca|
|Herald Square in Midtown|
|North end||Central Park South / Center Drive in Midtown|
|East||Fifth Avenue (north of Waverly Pl)|
|West||Varick Street (south of Houston St)|
Seventh Avenue (north of Houston St)
Sixth Avenue was laid out in the Commissioners' Plan of 1811. As originally designed, Sixth Avenue's southern terminus was at Carmine Street in Greenwich Village, and it continued northward to 147th Street in Harlem. Central Park was added to the street grid in 1857, and created an interruption in Sixth Avenue between 59th and 110th Streets. Proposals to extend the street south of Carmine Street were discussed by the city's Board of Aldermen as early as the mid-1860s. The IRT Sixth Avenue Line elevated railway (the "El") was constructed on Sixth Avenue in 1878, darkening the street and reducing its real-estate value. In the early and mid 1800s Sixth Avenue passed by the popular roadhouse and tavern, Old Grapevine, at the corner of 11th Street, which at the time was the northern edge of the city.
In late 1887, the Harlem portion of what was then considered Sixth Avenue was renamed Lenox Avenue for philanthropist James Lenox; it was later co-named Malcolm X Boulevard, in honor of the slain civil rights leader, a century later.
Starting in 1926, as part of the construction of the Holland Tunnel, Sixth Avenue was widened and extended from Minetta Lane to Canal Street. Smaller side streets in the extension's path were also demolished or incorporated into the extended avenue. The Sixth Avenue extension also allowed for the construction of the Independent Subway System (IND)'s Eighth Avenue line, which was to run below Sixth Avenue south of Eighth Street. To accommodate the new subway, buildings were condemned and demolished to extend Sixth Avenue southward. Construction of the extension resulted in considerable dislocation to existing residents, as ten thousand people were evicted to make way for the Sixth Avenue extension. One historian stated that most of the displaced residents were "Italian immigrants who knew no other home in America". According to the WPA Guide to New York City, the extension resulted in blank side walls facing the "uninspiring thoroughfare" and small leftover spaces. Dozens of buildings, including the original Church of Our Lady of Pompeii, were demolished. The Sixth Avenue extension was opened to traffic in 1930, and the subway line was completed two years later. Sixth Avenue, the only numbered avenue to extend south of Houston Street, thus became the southernmost numbered avenue in Manhattan. House numbering of existing buildings was adjusted.
By the 1930s, a coalition of commercial establishments and building owners along Sixth Avenue campaigned to have the El removed. The El was closed on December 4, 1938 and came down in stages, beginning in Greenwich Village in 1938–39. The replacement Sixth Avenue subway, which ran between Houston and 53rd Streets with a transfer to the Eighth Avenue line at West Fourth Street, opened in 1940.
The demolition of the Sixth Avenue elevated railway also resulted in accelerated commercial development of the avenue in Midtown. Beginning in the 1960s, the avenue was entirely rebuilt above 42nd Street as an all-but-uninterrupted avenue of corporate headquarters housed in glass slab towers of International Modernist style. Among the buildings constructed was the CBS Building at 52nd Street, by Eero Saarinen (1965), dubbed "Black Rock" from its dark granite piers that run from base to crown without a break; this designated landmark is Saarinen's only skyscraper.
In the mid-1970s, the city "spruced up" the street, including the addition of patterned brick crosswalks, repainting of streetlamps, and new pedestrian plazas. Special lighting, rare throughout the rest of the city, was also installed.
The avenue's official name was changed to Avenue of the Americas in 1945 by the City Council, at the behest of Mayor Fiorello La Guardia, who signed the bill into law on October 2, 1945. The intent was to honor "Pan-American ideals and principles" and the nations of Central and South America, and to encourage those countries to build consulates along the avenue. It was felt at the time that the name would provide greater grandeur to a shabby street, and to promote trade with the Western Hemisphere.
After the name change, round signs were attached to streetlights on the avenue, showing the national seals of the nations honored. However, New Yorkers rarely used the avenue's newer name, and in 1955, an informal study found that locals used "Sixth Avenue" more than eight times as often as "Avenue of the Americas". The street has been labelled as both "Avenue of the Americas" and "Sixth Avenue" in recent years. Most of the old round signs with country emblems were gone by the late 1990s, and the ones remaining are showing signs of age.
Sights along Sixth Avenue include Juan Pablo Duarte Square; with the polychrome High Victorian Gothic Jefferson Market Courthouse, currently occupied by the Jefferson Market Library; the surviving stretch of grand department stores of 1880 to 1900 in the Ladies' Mile Historic District that runs from 18th Street to 23rd Street; the former wholesale flower district; Herald Square at 34th Street, site of Macy's department store; Bryant Park from 40th to 42nd Streets; and the corporate stretch above 42nd Street, which includes the Bank of America Tower, W. R. Grace Building, International Center of Photography, Rockefeller Center — including the Time-Life Building, News Corp. Building, Exxon Building and McGraw-Hill Building, as well as Radio City Music Hall. The Steinway Hall of New York was moved to 1133 Sixth Avenue in 2016.
Sixth Avenue is served by the New York City Subway with the IND Sixth Avenue Line (B, D, F, and M trains) north of Houston Street, and the IND Eighth Avenue Line (A, C, and E trains) south of Greenwich Avenue. The Harlem portion of Sixth Avenue (Lenox Avenue) is served by the IRT Lenox Avenue Line (2 and 3 trains) north of Central Park North (110th Street). The PATH's Uptown Hudson Tubes to New Jersey also run under Sixth Avenue (JSQ–33, HOB-33, and JSQ-33 (via HOB) trains) from 9th to 33rd Streets.
Avenue of the Americas, a name rarely used by New Yorkers
New Yorkers stubbornly resist calling Sixth Avenue by the name it has officially borne since the La Guardia years
14th Street/Sixth Avenue is an underground New York City Subway station complex in the Chelsea district of Manhattan on the IRT Broadway–Seventh Avenue Line, the BMT Canarsie Line and the IND Sixth Avenue Line. It is located on 14th Street between Sixth Avenue (Avenue of the Americas) and Seventh Avenue. It is served by the:
1, 2, F, and L trains at all times
3 and M trains at all times except late nightsA connection is available from this complex to the PATH station at 14th Street and Sixth Avenue. There is a direct passageway from this complex to the PATH station's southbound platform; transferring between this complex and the northbound PATH platform requires exiting onto street level first.32 Avenue of the Americas
32 Avenue of the Americas, also known as the AT&T Long Distance Building, or simply the AT&T Building, is a 27-story landmarked Art Deco skyscraper located in the Tribeca neighborhood of New York City. The building reaches a height of 549 feet (167.3 m) up to its twin spires, and was completed in 1932. It is located by the intersections of Walker Street, Lispenard Street, Church Street and the Avenue of the Americas.
The structure is currently the 369th tallest building in New York City The tower was designed by the architectural firm of Voorhees, Gmelin and Walker, and contains 1,150,000 square feet (107,000 m2) of office space. It is managed by the privately held Rudin Management Company.34th Street–Herald Square (New York City Subway)
34th Street–Herald Square is an underground station complex on the BMT Broadway Line and the IND Sixth Avenue Line of the New York City Subway, and is the third-busiest station in the system with 39,672,507 passengers entering the station in 2017. It is located at Herald Square in Midtown Manhattan where 34th Street, Broadway and Sixth Avenue (Avenue of the Americas) intersect, and is served by the:
D, F, N, and Q trains at all times
M and R trains at all times except late nights
B and W trains on weekdays42nd Street–Bryant Park/Fifth Avenue (New York City Subway)
42nd Street–Bryant Park/Fifth Avenue is an underground New York City Subway station complex, consisting of stations on the IRT Flushing Line and IND Sixth Avenue Line, formerly without direct connection, now connected by a pedestrian tunnel. Located at 42nd Street between Fifth Avenue and Sixth Avenue (Avenue of the Americas) in Manhattan, it is served by the:
7, D, and F trains at all times
M train at all times except late nights
B train on weekdays
<7> train on weekdays in the peak direction47th–50th Streets–Rockefeller Center (IND Sixth Avenue Line)
47th–50th Streets–Rockefeller Center is an express station on the IND Sixth Avenue Line of the New York City Subway. It is located along Sixth Avenue (Avenue of the Americas) between 47th and 50th Streets, on the west side of Rockefeller Center. The station is served by the D and F trains at all times, the M train at all times except late nights, and the B train on weekdays.57th Street (IND Sixth Avenue Line)
57th Street is a station on the IND Sixth Avenue Line of the New York City Subway. Located at the intersection of 57th Street and Sixth Avenue (Avenue of the Americas) in Manhattan, it is served by the F train at all times and the M train during weekends and weekday evenings. North of the station, the Sixth Avenue Line turns east and becomes the IND 63rd Street Line.
First announced in 1962, the 57th Street station was opened on July 1, 1968, at the cost of $13.2 million. The station was a terminal station until 1989, after which all service was extended to 21st Street–Queensbridge. The station was temporarily served by shuttle trains in the 1990s during the 63rd Street Line's reconstruction. From July to December 2018, the station was closed for an extensive five-month renovation.63rd Street Shuttle
The 63rd Street Shuttle was the name given to three shuttle trains that served the 63rd Street Lines of the New York City Subway during various times from 1997 to 2001.Broadway–Lafayette Street/Bleecker Street (New York City Subway)
Broadway–Lafayette Street/Bleecker Street is a New York City Subway station complex in the NoHo district of Manhattan on the IRT Lexington Avenue Line and the IND Sixth Avenue Line. It is served by the:
6, D, and F trains at all times
B train on weekdays
M train at all times except late nights
<6> train during rush hours in the peak direction
4 train during late nightsThe complex comprises two stations, Bleecker Street (IRT) and Broadway–Lafayette Street (IND). The transfer between the downtown IRT platform and the IND platform has been within fare control since May 19, 1957, and the corresponding free transfer from the uptown IRT platform to the rest of the station opened on September 25, 2012.D (New York City Subway service)
The D Sixth Avenue Express is a rapid transit service in the B Division of the New York City Subway. Its route emblem, or "bullet", is colored orange since it uses the IND Sixth Avenue Line in Manhattan.The D operates at all times between 205th Street in Norwood, Bronx, and Stillwell Avenue in Coney Island, Brooklyn. Daytime service operates local in the Bronx and express in Manhattan and in Brooklyn (between Atlantic Avenue–Barclays Center and 36th Street, bypassing DeKalb Avenue). During rush hours in the peak direction, service operates express between Fordham Road in the Bronx and 145th Street in Manhattan. Late night service operates local in the Bronx and Brooklyn (stopping at DeKalb Avenue) and express in Manhattan.
In its early years, the D ran to World Trade Center in Lower Manhattan via the lower IND Eighth Avenue Line. From 1954 to 1967, the D ran via the IND Culver Line to Coney Island. With the completion of the Chrystie Street Connection, service was rerouted via the BMT Brighton Line, running there from 1967 to 2001. A short-lived yellow D service ran via the BMT Broadway Line in Manhattan to the Brighton Line in Brooklyn, while orange D service used the Sixth Avenue, Central Park West, and Concourse Lines in Manhattan and the Bronx.Delancey Street/Essex Street (New York City Subway)
Delancey Street/Essex Street is a station complex shared by the BMT Nassau Street Line and the IND Sixth Avenue Lines of the New York City Subway, located at the intersection of Essex and Delancey Streets on the Lower East Side of Manhattan, just west of the Williamsburg Bridge. It is served by the:
F and J trains at all times
M train at all times except late nights
Z skip-stop train during rush hours in the peak directionIn addition to the two track levels—the BMT platforms are on the upper level, and the IND platforms are on the lower—an intermediate mezzanine built for the IND platforms provides the passenger connection between the two lines. As the BMT and the IND were originally separate systems, the transfer passageway was not within fare control until July 1, 1948. The full-time entrance is on the north side of Delancey Street, on either side of Essex Street.Duarte Square
Juan Pablo Duarte Square, usually shortened to Duarte Square, is a 0.45-acre (0.18 ha) triangular park in New York City bound by Sullivan Street, Grand Street, Sixth Avenue and Canal Street.Grand Street (IND Sixth Avenue Line)
Grand Street is a station on the IND Sixth Avenue Line of the New York City Subway. Located at the intersection of Grand Street and Chrystie Street in Chinatown and the Lower East Side of Manhattan, it is served by the D train at all times and the B on weekdays. Opened on November 26, 1967, this station was one of two added as part of the Chrystie Street Connection. It is also a proposed station on the Second Avenue Subway, whose fourth phase would include new platform(s) connecting to the existing platforms.IND Sixth Avenue Line
The IND Sixth Avenue Line is a rapid transit line of the B Division of the New York City Subway in the United States. It runs mainly under Sixth Avenue in Manhattan, and continues south to Brooklyn. The B, D, F, and M trains, which use the Sixth Avenue Line through Midtown Manhattan, are colored orange. The B and D trains use the express tracks, while the F and M trains use the local tracks.
The Sixth Avenue Line, constructed in stages during the 1930s, was the last trunk line built by the Independent Subway System (IND) before it was incorporated into the modern-day New York City Subway. It was more difficult to build than other subway trunk lines in New York City because construction had to proceed around, over, and under existing tunnels and elevated structures. The Sixth Avenue Line replaced the Interborough Rapid Transit Company (IRT)'s Sixth Avenue elevated, which closed in 1939. The first section of the line opened in 1936 from West Fourth Street to East Broadway with service provided by Eighth Avenue Line trains. This section was initially referred to as the Houston-Essex Street Route. The Sixth Avenue subway was completed in 1940, providing service north of West Fourth Street, connecting to the Queens Boulevard Line and the Eighth Avenue Line.
Initially, the Sixth Avenue Line carried only local service, since there were no express tracks between 34th and West 4th Streets. In 1967 and 1968, the Chrystie Street Connection was completed, connecting the line with former BMT lines in Brooklyn via the Manhattan Bridge and with the BMT Jamaica Line over the Williamsburg Bridge. Two new stations at 57th Street and Grand Street, as well as a pair of express tracks between 34th and West 4th Streets, were built to provide the necessary capacity for the new service to Brooklyn.
There are branches on both ends of the line. On the south end, the express tracks used by the B and D trains diverge to Grand Street and the Manhattan Bridge. The local tracks continue through the Rutgers Street Tunnel and to York Street in Brooklyn (used by the F train) or via the Chrystie Street Connection and the Williamsburg Bridge to the BMT Jamaica Line in Brooklyn (used by the M train). On the north end, north of 47th–50th Streets–Rockefeller Center, the express tracks diverge to Seventh Avenue–53rd Street and the IND Eighth Avenue Line, while a spur used by the F and M trains continues under Sixth Avenue to 57th Street and the 63rd Street Lines; the local tracks, used by the M train, merge with the IND Queens Boulevard Line and continue to Queens.IRT Sixth Avenue Line
The IRT Sixth Avenue Line, often called the Sixth Avenue Elevated or Sixth Avenue El, was the second elevated railway in Manhattan in New York City, following the Ninth Avenue Elevated.
The line ran south of Central Park, mainly along Sixth Avenue. Beyond the park, trains continued north on the Ninth Avenue Line.Jay Street–MetroTech (New York City Subway)
Jay Street–MetroTech is a New York City Subway station complex on the IND Fulton Street, IND Culver, and BMT Fourth Avenue Lines. The complex is located in the vicinity of MetroTech Center (near Jay and Willoughby Streets) in Downtown Brooklyn. It is served by the:
A, F and R trains at all times
C train at all times except late nights
N train during late nights only
A few rush-hour W trips in the peak direction.The complex consists of two distinct, perpendicular stations, formerly known as Jay Street–Borough Hall and Lawrence Street–MetroTech. The Jay Street–Borough Hall station was built by the Independent Subway System (IND) in 1933, while the Lawrence Street station was built by the Brooklyn–Manhattan Transit Corporation (BMT) in 1924. Despite being one block away from each other, the two stations were not connected for 77 years. As part of a station renovation completed in 2010, the Metropolitan Transportation Authority (MTA) built a passageway to connect the two stations and made the complex fully compliant with the Americans with Disabilities Act of 1990. Both stations also contain "money train" platforms, which were formerly used to deliver MTA token profits to neighboring 370 Jay Street.Second Avenue (IND Sixth Avenue Line)
Second Avenue is a station on the IND Sixth Avenue Line of the New York City Subway, located at the intersection of Second Avenue and Houston Street on the border between the East Village and the Lower East Side, in Manhattan. It is served by the F train at all times.Seventh Avenue (IND lines)
Seventh Avenue is a station on the IND Sixth Avenue Line and the IND Queens Boulevard Line of the New York City Subway. Located at the intersection of Seventh Avenue and 53rd Street in Manhattan, it is served by the D and E trains at all times, and the B train weekdays. The station is announced as Seventh Avenue–53rd Street, in the style of other stations that orient east-west along 53rd Street (such as Fifth Avenue/53rd Street and Lexington Avenue–53rd Street), as well as to prevent confusion with Seventh Avenue along Flatbush Avenue in Brooklyn, which is also served by the B.Sixth Avenue MRT station
Sixth Avenue MRT station (DT7) is an underground Mass Rapid Transit (MRT) station on the Downtown Line in Bukit Timah, Singapore.
Despite its name, this station is located directly underneath the traffic junction of Bukit Timah Road and Fourth Avenue. It was described by the media as the first MRT station to be located within a private residential area.West Fourth Street–Washington Square (New York City Subway)
West Fourth Street–Washington Square is an express station and transfer stop on the IND Sixth Avenue and IND Eighth Avenue Lines of the New York City Subway, located at the intersection of West Fourth Street and Sixth Avenue (Avenue of the Americas) in Greenwich Village, Manhattan. It is served by:
A, D, E, and F trains at all times;
B train on weekdays;
C and M trains at all times except late nights
Streets of Manhattan