Sisak children's concentration camp officially called "Shelter for Children Refugees" was a concentration camp during World War II located in Sisak, set up by the Ustaše government of the Nazi-puppet state, the Independent State of Croatia, for Serbian, Jewish and Romani children. It was part of the Jasenovac extermination camp.
During the existence of Independent State of Croatia, the Croatian Ustaše established numerous concentration camps like those in Jasenovac, Đakovo, and Jastrebarsko in which many Serbian, Jewish and Romani children died as inmates.
In Sisak, near the town of Jasenovac, Sisak-Moslavina County in Croatia, the Ustaše presence was vigilant. Early in 1942, the local synagogue was looted and destroyed, and the building turned into a worker's hall. The settlers of Sisak were quickly brought to Ustaše attention, and those of them who were Serbian or Jewish were tormented. One example is Miloš Teslić, a Serb whose eyes were cut out, arms sawn off, chest burned with a hot iron, and heart cut out.
The concentration camp was opened on 3 August 1942 following the Kozara Offensive. It was part of an assembly camp, officially named the "Refugee Transit Camp",. The concentration camp at Sisak was officially called "Shelter for the refugee children," under the auspices of the "Ustasha Female Lineage" and "Ustasha Security Service", and under the direct control of Dr Antun Najžer, a physician. The camp was located in several buildings in Sisak: the former Yugoslav Falconry Association (the so-called "Sokolana"), the Sisters of St. Vincent nunnery, the saltwork Rice warehouse, the Rajs Saltworks warehouse, the Novi Sisak elementary school and the so-called "Karantena" (Quarantine). All these buildings were totally unsuitable for housing children. For example, in the Falconry association, there were no doors; it was drafty because the whole construction was set up for drying salt. Children, even the smallest ones who were only a few months old, had to lie on the floor with only a thin layer of straw, with no clothes or blankets.
The first group of children arrived on 3 August 1942; there were 906 of them. The very next day another group of 650 children came; the third group, which arrived on 6 August, had 1,272 children. In the Teslić glasshouse and the newly-built barracks, "Karantena", a general concentration camp for men, women, and children had been created. During August and September, 1942, Ustaše housed 3,971 children at Sisak, children whose parents had been selected for forced labor in Nazi Germany. From August, 1942, to 8 February 1943, a total of 6,693 children were imprisoned at the Sisak camp, mostly Serbian children from Kozara, Kordun, and Slavonia. When a typhus epidemic broke out, Najžer ordered the transfer of the infected children to the improvised hospital, which, however, increased mortality among the children.
Testimony of Jana Koh, the Croatian Red Cross secretary that time:
The barracks were connected by the corridors guarded by the Ustashas. Not far from the ambulance, from another barracks, the sad cries of the children were heard. There was set, on the bare floor, four hundred children: newborns, children from a few weeks or months, up to ten years of age. How many children came, and where they were dispatched, could no longer be found out. The children in the children's barracks cried inexorably and were calling their mothers, who were only a few steps away from the children, but the fascist criminals did not let mothers to approach their children. Older children tell us through tears, that they can not calm the little ones, because they are hungry, there are no one to change diapers of the little ones, and they are afraid that everyone will die. These children, who have not yet reached the age of ten, swear to us, "Come on, sister, bring us mothers, bring at least mothers to these little ones. You will see, if you do not bring them their mothers, they will suffocate, by the tears alone."
Testimony of Lazar Marguljes, a physician from Osijek, Croatia:
I've noticed that the Zagreb Red Cross food shipments were never handed out to the children. By conducting medical examination of the children, I often visited these places: the unfinished Sokols home, in which the children were lying on a bare concrete floor or, at best, to a little straw. In the so-called Hospital, in a small school in Old Sisak, in which there were no beds, the children were lying on the floor with some strawn and contaminated straw, clad in bloody feces and covered with swarms of flies. The children were naked and barefoot, without blankets. When the typhoid fever broke out in Sokols home, physician Najžer ordered that the infected children be transferred to the so-called Hospital, in which there was no infection, what has caused a mass death of the children there.
The children's camp (described as a camp for "upbringing and re-education") in Sisak was established upon Pavelic's orders  and operated for five months, from August, 1942 to January, 1943. As mentioned above, 6,693 children passed through its gates, out of which records say between 1,152 and 1,630 died. It was the only concentration camp in Europe for children. The children, of Serbian, Roma, and Jewish origins, aged between 3 and 16, were housed in abandoned stables, riddled with filth and pests. Malnutrition and dysentery seriously impaired the children's health. They were fed daily a portion of thin gruel and treated horribly by the Ustaše guards. "Witnesses recount seeing an Ustashe soldier pick up a child by the legs and smash its head against a wall until it was dead, ..."
Humanitarians managed to move 2,200 children from the camp to Zagreb. Families from Sisak and surrounding villages took from the camp and sheltered 1,630 children; and 1,691 children were returned to their families after the war.
After the war, those people who had survived concentration camps and returned from Germany started searching for their children. The records kept at the camp, with information about each child, were maintained by Diana Budisavljević and were moved from the camp to Zagreb during the war. There were some 30,000 records about these children in the files. These files were confiscated by Yugoslav OZNA and the public were not allowed access to them.
On the Reis saltworks building a memorial plaque was erected for the children who died in the camp - in 1958. In the early 1990s this memorial plaque was destroyed. A monument dedicated to the children imprisoned in the camp was erected nearby the Sisak Cultural Center and a commemorative plaque erected on the Center building. This commemorative plaque was also destroyed in the early 1990s. The camp children's cemetery was landscaped in 1974 and a monument erected. Today the cemetery is not maintained and in a ruined state. On the monument it is recorded that the cemetery contains 2,000 children's graves.
“We had a similar treatment [in Auschwitz] as children in the Ustasa-German camp in Sisak”, said the Croatian-born Lustig. “They had doctor [Antun] Najzer [the camp's commander], we had the infamous doctor Mengele,” he said.
The Serbian Army of Krajina (Serbian: Српска војска Крајине/Srpska vojska Krajine, СВК/SVK), also known in English as the Army of the Republic of Serb(ian) Krajina, was the armed forces of the Republic of Serbian Krajina (RSK), a Serb breakaway state in Croatia during the Croatian War of Independence (1991–95). The army was officially established on 19 March 1992. The RSK covered an area of some 17,028 km² at its peak, and was located entirely inland and thus had no navy. The military, along with the self-proclaimed Republic of Serbian Krajina, dissolved in 1995 following the Croatian Operation Storm.Association for Serbian language and literature in Croatia
Association for Serbian language and literature in Croatia is a nonprofit professional organization that brings together scientists and technical workers engaged in studying and teaching of Serbian language and literature in Croatia. The association operates throughout Croatia and its headquarters is in Vukovar.
In early 2011, the association issued first edition of the Proceedings which was presented at many schools and institutions in Croatia and the region. Publishing of the book was financed from funds of Vukovar city, Trpinja, Markušica, Šodolovci, Erdut municipalities and from private donations.The association has organized a number of seminars.In their work, the association collaborates with professors from the University of Belgrade, University of Zagreb, University of Novi Sad and with Matica srpska, Joint Council of Municipalities, The Institute for the Serbian language in Belgrade etc.Church of St. Peter and Paul, Bolman
Church of St. Peter and Paul (Croatian: Crkva svetog Petra i Pavla, Serbian Cyrillic: Црква светог Петра и Павла) in Bolman is a Serbian Orthodox church in eastern Croatia. The church is dedicated to St. Peter and Paul.Church of St. Peter and Paul, Tepljuh
Church of Saint Peter and Paul in Tepljuh is Serbian Orthodox church in Croatia.Church of St. Stephen, Borovo
The Church of St. Stephen (Croatian: Crkva svetog Stefana, Serbian Cyrillic: Црква светог Стефана) in Borovo is a Serbian Orthodox church in eastern Croatia. The church was built in the period from 1761 to 1764. Under its patronage was carried out first educational activities in the village. Church is listed in Register of Cultural Goods of Croatia. Iconostasis with 49 icons and other inventory is also specifically listed in Register.Democratic Alliance of Serbs
The Democratic Alliance of Serbs (Croatian: Demokratski savez Srba or DSS, Serbian Cyrillic: Демократски савез Срба, ДСС) is a social democratic political party of Serbs in Croatia.Gymnasium Vukovar
Gymnasium Vukovar (Serbo-Croatian: Gimnazija Vukovar/Гимназија Вуковар) is a secondary school situated in Vukovar, Croatia. Gymnasium Vukovar carries the educational programs of general secondary school, science and language direction. Classes are held in Croatian and Serbian language. In the school year 2007/2008, 384 students were enrolled. Of these, there were 248 female and 136 male students.High School Dalj
High School Dalj is a public high school in Dalj, Erdut municipality, Croatia. The school offers the students the following educational programs: Economist, Commercial Officer (in Serbian), Agricultural Technician and Agricultural Technician General. In accordance with rights derived from Erdut Agreement Serbian minority in this school use right of education in minority language. For this reason, students can attend classes in Croatian or Serbian language and Serbian Cyrillic alphabet.Independent Democratic Serb Party
The Independent Democratic Serb Party (Croatian: Samostalna demokratska srpska stranka or SDSS, Serbian Cyrillic: Самостална демократска српска странка, СДСС) is a social democratic political party of Serbs of Croatia.Krajina dinar
The dinar (Serbian Cyrillic: динар) was the currency in the Republic of Serbian Krajina between 1992 and 1994.Krka monastery
Krka Monastery (Croatian: Samostan Krka, Serbian Cyrillic: Манастир Крка) is a Serbian Orthodox monastery dedicated to the Archangel Michael, located near the river Krka, 3 km east of Kistanje, in central Dalmatia, Croatia. It is the best known monastery of the Serbian Orthodox Church in Croatia and it is officially protected as part of the Krka National Park.
It dates back to the 14th century.Main Staff of the Army of the Republic of Serb Krajina
The Main Staff of the Army of the Republic of Serb Krajina (Serbian: Главни штаб Српске војске Крајине / Glavni štab Srpske vojske Krajine) was the highest professional and staff organ for preparation and use of the Army of the Republic of Serb Krajina in war and in peace.
The Main Staff was formed on 16 October 1992, and its activities started on 27 November of the same year. During its existence, the Main Staff had constant problems with personnel.Museum of Serbs of Croatia
Museum of Serbs of Croatia (Croatian: Muzej Srba u Hrvatskoj, Serbian Cyrillic: Музеј Срба у Хрватској) was a public museum in Zagreb, which was specialized in history of Serbs of Croatia. Museum existed from 1946 till 1963 when it became part of Croatian History Museum. Today, part of the material is kept in Museum of Metropolitanate of Zagreb and Ljubljana, part in Prosvjeta, some in Museum of Croatian History and part of them were destroyed in mining of Museum of Metropolitanate of Zagreb and Ljubljana on 11 April 1992 during War in Croatia. In 2009, on 65 anniversary of Prosvjeta, organization has launched an initiative for restoration of museum work.Orahovica Monastery
The Orahovica Monastery is a Serbian Orthodox monastery in Orahovica, Croatia. It is mentioned in 1583 when it was a seat of the Požega metropolitanate and an important culturo-religious center, located in the then Virovitica County. It is thought to have been built before the end of the 15th century.Privrednik
Srpsko privredno društvo "Privrednik" (Serbian Cyrillic: Српско привредно друштво "Привредник"; English: Serbian Business Association "Privrednik") is an organization of Serbian minority in Croatia, which is aimed to creating and increasing economic opportunities in rural areas where majority of Serbs live in Croatia, as well as development of professional skills of individuals. Privrednik is a registered nongovernmental, nonprofit and nonpartisan organization.Radio Borovo
Radio Borovo (Serbian Cyrillic: Радио Борово) is Serbian language radio station serving primarily Serb national minority in the eastern Croatia. It has a local broadcasting license for the municipality of Borovo, Croatia. Its frequency is 100,7 MHz FM and it is listened in Vukovar-Srijem and Osijek-Baranja County and in Vojvodina in neighboring Serbia Radio Borovo is an independent radio station privately owned, registered as a limited liability company - "Rhapsody", with 75% of initial capital owned by workers, and 25% owned by the municipality of Borovo. This radio station is the most popular minority radio station in Croatia. Through 2011 radio stations celebrated its twentieth anniversary. Due to its promotion of human and minority rights radio station is often collaborateing with the NGO sector.Serb People's Radical Party
The Serbian People's Radical Party (Serbian: Српска народна радикална странка, Srpska narodna radikalna stranka) was an ethnic Serb political party in Austria-Hungary.
It was a sister party of the People's Radical Party in Serbia.
It was one of the founders of the Serbo-Croat coalition (1905) that governed the Kingdom of Croatia-Slavonia, but it left the Coalition soon afterwards.
In 1918, it had two representatives in the National Council of Slovenes, Croats and Serbs.Slana concentration camp
Slana concentration camp was a concentration and extermination camp on the Croatian island Pag.
The camp was established in June 1941 in Metajna. It was established by Mijo Babić and controlled by the Ustaše, who had been installed as rulers of the puppet state of Croatia by Adolf Hitler and Benito Mussolini. Slana was a men's camp. Most prisoners were Jews, Serbs and Croatian communists. The commander of the camp was Ivan Devčević, who was also a commander of the 13th Ustaša battalion which was garrisoned in the camp.The camp was closed in August 1941 by the Italian military, who feared that the brutality of the Ustaše would provoke unrest in the region. Historians have estimated the death toll in Slana and the women's camp Metajna to be between 4,000 and 12,000. During the first weeks the inmates mainly died of physical abuse, exhaustion, hunger and thirst. When the transports became more frequent and the camp lacked space, the Ustaše began to execute many prisoners. The Author Ante Zemljar wrote a book about what happened in Slana in 1941: Charon and Destinies.St. Basil of Ostrog Monastery
St. Basil of Ostrog Monastery (Serbian Latin: Manastir Sv. Vasilija Ostroškog) is a Serbian Orthodox monastery dedicated to Saint Basil of Ostrog located in the village of Crnogorci near the town of Imotski in Dalmatia, Croatia. The construction of the monastery began in 2005, and it had been suspended in 2006 after protests from the municipality of Podbablje.
|Sui generis body|