Siata (Società Italiana Auto Trasformazioni Accessori in English Italian Car Transformation Accessories Company) was an Italian car tuning shop and manufacturer founded in 1926 by amateur race car driver Giorgio Ambrosini.
Siata initially sold performance parts to modify and tune cars manufactured by Fiat. After World War II, the company began making its own sports cars under the Siata brand until its eventual bankruptcy following the first Arab oil embargo in the mid-1970s.
Production of the Siata's first wholly original design the Siata Amica began in 1948 and continued through 1952. The Amica was powered by a Fiat 500 cc engine capable of producing 22 horsepower with an optional 750 cc unit producing 25 horsepower. The Amica was available in both two-seater convertible/spider and coupé configurations.
A specially modified Amica known as the Fiat Siata 500 Pescara won the 1948 Italian Road Racing Championship fitted with a five-speed manual gearbox and a modified 500 cc engine producing 40 horsepower. Only two 500 Pescaras were ever built with only one surviving model. The surviving car also competed in the 1991 Historic Millie Miglia.
The Daina was based on heavily modified Fiat 1400 mechanics; the frame was reinforced and shortened while the engine was tuned by Siata. The Daina could be had with a 1.4L (1,395 cc), 1.5L (1,500 cc) or 1.8L (1,817 cc) overhead valve I4 engine, all of which were sourced from Fiat. From 1950 to 1958 there were approximately 50 Daina Series cars produced. However, only a few of the Series were produced after 1953. About 20 Daina Sport (coupes) are thought to have been built, only six are known to exist today. A cabriolet version called the Gran Sport comprised most of the Daina Series cars. The Gran Sport had a steel body with an aluminum hood designed by Stabilimenti Farina (3 all aluminum bodied Gran Sports were made as well) but when they closed in 1953, Bertone took over production with a coupe model of their own design called the "Sport".
Following the Amica, Siata introduced the 300BC Barchetta Sport Spider in 1951. The Barchetta Sport Spider was designed by Mario Revelli de Beaumont and built by Nuccio Bertone and Rocco Motto. Around 50 production models were created and predominantly featured either a 750 cc Crosley or 1100 cc Fiat engine. During this time Siata also created the Cucciolo ("puppy") motor sold in kit form by Ducati and later used to power Ducati's first complete mopeds and motorcycles starting in 1952.
Siata introduced the 208S in 1953 featuring Fiat's 2.0 liter 8V engine. 35 cars were produced between 1953 and 1955 priced at 5300 dollars and available in both convertible and hard top. The car rose to prominence after actor and race car driver Steve McQueen purchased model BS523 from Los Angeles-based Siata importer Ernie McAfee in the mid-1950s. McQueen reportedly re badged the car with Ferrari emblems and dubbed the car his "Little Ferrari".
In 1968, after a detailed market research among Italian youth, Siata launched the Siata Spring, a sports car based on parts from Fiat 850, with a front end styled by Enrico Fumia in 1966. The Siata Spring was produced until 1970, when Siata went bankrupt, but the assembly line was purchased by a newly formed company called ORSA (Officina Realizzazioni Sarde Automobili). They moved it to an assembly plant near Cagliari, where it resumed the production of the Spring, which was now based on the SEAT 850 Special. Because of this the engine displacement increased to 903cc with 47BHP, and it gained disc brakes on the front wheels and a higher top speed of 125 km/h (77.6 mph). Due to the 1973 oil crisis sales of sports cars in Italy went down, forcing ORSA to end the production of the Spring in 1975.
Siata raced in the Mille Miglia and the Italian Road Racing Championship in 1948, 1949, 1950, 1951, 1952 and 1955. A 1500 cc Siata Daina driven by Dick Irish and Bob Fergus finished 1st in its class and third overall at the 1952 12 Hours of Sebring.
The 3rd Grand Prix, 12 Hours of Sebring, was the inaugural round of the first F.I.A. World Sports Car Championship and was held at the Sebring International Raceway, on 8 March 1953.2017 IAAF World Cross Country Championships – Senior women's race
The Senior women's race at the 2017 IAAF World Cross Country Championships was held at the Kampala in Uganda, on March 26, 2017.
The exact length of the course was 9,858 m (33m start, 4 full laps of 2,000 m and a final lap of 1,825m).Complete results for individuals.Automobili Stanguellini
Automobili Stanguellini is an Italian maker of small sports cars, based in Modena and founded by Vittorio Stanguellini; it was most active between 1946 and 1960. They continued to produce competition cars until 1981, when Vittorio Stanguellini died; thenceforth, the company devoted to vintage cars.Bandini-Maserati 1500
The Bandini-Maserati 1500 is a racing car, produced in 1953 by Bandini Automobili.
In the 1950s, non-exclusive trade agreements between Ilario Bandini and Italian-American Tony Pompeo, provided for the export of cars with no engine to be installed in a second manufacturing process in the United States].
More and more cars like the sport siluro were exported, containing Siata, Offenhauser, Saab, MG and Alfa Romeo engines.In particular this car, which results from the registers Bandini, have been exported on February 15, 1954, was designed and built in 1952 to house the Maserati A6 1,500 cc (92 cu in) engine and run in the category FM League SCCA (Sports Car Club of America). The chronicles record its use by the American drivers Bernhard Vihl, George Parrington and David Michaels and it also raced in the 12 Hours of Sebring in March 1955.Bandini 1100
The Bandini 1100 is a car model produced from 1947 until 1950 by the Italian company Bandini Cars. It was the successor to the early 1946 model. A racing version was produced under the name Bandini 1100 siluro.Bandini 1100 siluro
The Bandini 1100 Siluro is a racing car produced from 1947 to 1949 by Bandini Automobili in Forlì, Italy.
The 1100 Siluro was the first Bandini model created expressly for racing. The style and materials were selected for speed, performance and weight-savings. The name Siluro (English: torpedo) was chosen to acknowledge the aerodynamic shape and was thought to be a good omen for the races. Initially, to reduce weight and simplify repairs, they were not even painted.
The 1100 Siluro first participated in competitions in 1949. These included Italian competitions such as the "Giro dell'Umbria" (Lap of Umbria), the "Pescara Circuit", and the "Senigallia Circuit", as well as more important, internationally recognized events, such as Mille Miglia. It was driven by Richard W. Gent at Watkins Glen in the 1951 Grand Prix, introducing the cars to the auto-sports fans of the United States.Bandini 750 sport siluro
The Bandini 750 sport siluro (torpedo) is a racing car, produced from 1950 to 1956 by the Italian company Bandini Cars.
Born in 1950, this new type marked the consecration of Bandini as an international challenger in the smaller classes. The 750 sports torpedo brought to Forlì the SCCA H Modified Championship in 1955 and 1957 and the SCCA South-West division championship from 1961 until 1963. They also had many victories in different categories on both sides of the Atlantic Ocean.
The first Siluros had cycle fenders. Later rules stipulated that cars must have attached fenders so owners simply added aluminum to the fenders and connected them to the body. The Bandini factory then produced them with fully attaching fenders. These fenders could be removed and a tonneau cover placed over the passenger seat which made the cars eligible for the Formula Three open wheeled class.Ducati Cucciolo
The Ducati Cucciolo was a 4-stroke clip-on engine for motorized bicycles conceived during and shortly after World War II by a Turin lawyer, Aldo Farinelli, and developed with a self-taught engineer, Aldo Leoni.
During the war, Aldo Farinelli began working with the small Turinese firm Siata (Società Italiana per Applicazioni Tecniche Auto-Aviatorie) with the idea of developing a small engine that could be mounted on a bicycle. Farinelli's and Leone's first prototype was running on the streets of Turin in Autumn of 1944. The yapping sound of the engine's short stubby exhaust inspired the name Cucciolo ("little puppy") for the motor. Weighing a little over 17 pounds (7.7 kg) and giving 180 miles per US gallon (77 km/l) when installed in a bicycle.On July 26, barely one month after the official liberation of the country, Siata announced their intention to sell Cucciolo engines to the public. It was the first new automotive design to appear in postwar Europe. Some businessmen bought the little engines in quantity and installed them in frames, thus offering for sale the first complete units.Soon demand outstripped the limited production capabilities, so Siata found a manufacturing partner in Borgo Panigale, near Bologna. Ducati was a well-known name in electronics and appliances, and in the post-war torn Italy, it was seeking new opportunities to employ its workers and facilities, so a licensing agreement with Siata was reached. Production rose from 15 units in 1946 to over 25,000 in the following years, when Ducati reached an exclusive agreement for the production.
In 1952, with 200,000 Cucciolos already sold, Ducati finally offered its own complete moped based on the successful little pull rod engine, removing the pedals and adding a 3 speed gearbox, creating the model 48 (produced until 1954) and model 55E and 55R. The model 48's fuel tank was integrated into the frame, and a swingarm type rear suspension. The following models were becoming more and more real motorcycles, with pressed-steel frames. The engine capacity grew to 60 cc, models 60 and 60 Sport, and finally to 65 cc, 65 Sport, 65T, 65TL and 65TS.
The Cucciolo engine was gradually replaced by the 98 model line which started in 1952 and its production ended when the 65 line was dropped in 1958.Enrico Fumia
Enrico Fumia (born 16 May 1948) is an Italian automobile and product designer. He is best known for his work with the car design firm Pininfarina, helping to design and package a new sports car version of the Alfa Romeo, which included front-wheel drive and traversely-mounted engines. Today he runs Fumia Design Studio.Eupithecia siata
Eupithecia siata is a moth in the family Geometridae. It is found in Iran.Fiat 1300 and 1500
The Fiat 1300 and Fiat 1500 are automobiles which were manufactured by the Italian automaker Fiat from 1961 to 1967. They replaced the Fiat 1400 and Fiat 1200 coupé, spyder and cabriolet. The 1300 and 1500 were essentially identical except for their engine displacement, as indicated by their model names. They were available as a saloon and station wagon, and as convertible and coupé models which shared little mechanically with the other body styles except the 1500 engine.
The car's 75 hp engine combined with its lightweight construction was unusual for the time, especially when considering the price. Front wheels were equipped with disc brakes with four-pot calipers while rear brakes were alloy drums.The 1300/1500 and their derivatives were also assembled by Yugoslavia's Zastava and Fiat's German subsidiary, Neckar Automobil AG, as well as in South Africa. The floorpan of the 1500 C was used as a basis for the 1500s replacement, the Fiat 125, while another model, the Polski Fiat 125p, made by the Polish FSO, was created by mating the body of 125 and mechanicals (engines, gearbox, transmission, suspension) of 1300/1500. In the Italian range, the 1300 was replaced by the Fiat 124 in 1966, and the 1500 by the Fiat 125 a year later.In total, 1,900,000 units were produced worldwide.Fiat 850
The Fiat 850 (Tipo 100G) is a small rear-engine, rear-wheel-drive car manufactured and marketed by Italian car manufacturer Fiat from 1964 to 1973.Fiat 8V
The Fiat 8V (or "Otto Vu") is a V8-engined sports car produced by the Italian car manufacturer Fiat from 1952 to 1954. The car was introduced at the 1952 Geneva Motor Show. The Fiat 8V got its name because at the time of its making, Fiat believed Ford had a copyright on "V8". With 114 made, the 8V wasn't a commercial success, but did well in racing. Apart from the differential the car did not share any parts with the other Fiats (but many parts were made by Siata and they used them for their cars). The 8V was developed by Dante Giacosa and the stylist Luigi Rapi. The engine was a V8 originally designed for a luxury sedan, but that project was stopped.
The Fiat V8 had a 70 degree V configuration, displaced 1,996 cc and was fitted with two twin-choke Weber 36 DCF 3 carburettors. In its first iteration (type 104.000) the engine had a compression ratio of 8.5:1 and produced 105 PS (77 kW; 104 hp) at 5,600 rpm, giving the car a top speed of 190 km/h (118 mph). Improved type 104.003 had different camshaft timing for 115 PS (85 kW; 113 hp) at 6,000 rpm; finally type 104.006 with an 8.75:1 compression ratio, revised camshaft timing and fuel system put out 127 PS (93 kW; 125 hp) at 6,600 rpm.
The engine was connected to a four speed gearbox. The car had independent suspension all round and drum brakes on all four wheels.
Top management were preoccupied with more run of the mill projects, however, and only 114 of the high-performance coupés had been produced by the time the cars were withdrawn from production in 1954. Nevertheless, they continued to win the Italian 2-litre GT championship every year until 1959.34 of the cars had a factory produced bodywork by Fiat's Reparto Carrozzerie Speciali ("Special Bodies Department"). Some cars had the bodywork done by other Italian coachbuilders. Carozzeria Zagato made 30 that they labelled "Elaborata Zagato". Ghia and Vignale also made bodyworks. Most were coupés, but some cabriolets were made as well.An example fitted with a factory-style glass-fibre reinforced plastic body was displayed at the 1954 Turin Motor Show. The composite bodyshell—produced by Fiat's experimental bodywork department—weighed just 48.5 kg (106.9 lb). This 8V currently resides in the Centro Storico Fiat in Turin.Franco Scaglione
Franco Scaglione (26 September 1916 – 19 June 1993) was an automobile coachwork designer.Siata 208 CS
The Siata 208 CS is an Italian sports car produced by Siata. Introduced in 1952, it is the coupe counterpart to the Siata 208s released that same year.Siata 208s
The Siata 208S (Sport) is an Italian sports car produced by Siata. Presented in 1952, the 208 Sport wore a lightweight sports spider aluminum body designed by Giovanni Michelotti and built by Rocco Motto. Only 35 208s Spiders were produced, including the two Bertone designed prototypes. It is the roadster counterpart to the Siata 208 CS.Siata Daina
The Siata Daina is an Italian car produced by Siata from 1950-1958. The Daina was available as a coupé or a convertible and had custom bodies by Stabilimenti Farina, Bertone and other coach builders.Stabilimenti Farina
Stabilimenti Industriali Farina (Turin, 1906–53) was an Italian automotive coachbuilder established by Giovanni Carlo Farina (1884–1957) in 12 Corso Tortona.
Among famous employees were his brother Battista Farina, who was here from the start in 1906 to 1928, before he in 1930 established what became Pininfarina. Pietro Frua worked here from 1928 to 1939, before starting his own company. Up until 1930 Felice Mario Boano was here and Giovanni Michelotti started his career with Farina in the mid 1930s. Also Franco Martinengo and Alfredo Vignale were employed by Stabilimenti at early stages of their careers.
Before World War II it did some Lancia Artena and Alfa Romeo 6C. The founder retired in 1948, and the firm was run by his son Attilia Farina (1908–93). At this time they made Fiat 1100/Fiat 1500 and the quite similar Simca 8. In 1950 Attili's brother Giuseppe Farina (1906–66) became the first world champion in Formula 1.
Stabilimenti Farina closed in 1953. Among the later builds were four Jowett Jupiters, ten Ferrari 166 (some by Michelotti) and a Ferrari 212, before Ferrari in 1952 started its collaboration with Battista's Pininfarina.