Sheffield Inner Ring Road is a dual-carriageway circling central Sheffield, South Yorkshire, England. Built from the 1960s onwards the Ring Road connects to the Sheffield Parkway, which itself connects with the M1 motorway. Many of Sheffield's current and under construction major office premises and luxury apartments are located on the Ring Road.
It is formed mostly from the north-south A61, coming in from Chesterfield as the Unstone-Dronfield Bypass, Chesterfield Road South, Meadowhead, Chesterfield Road, London Road and Queens Road, joining the ring road itself at Suffolk Road. The A57 (as The Parkway) approaches Sheffield from the east (M1 jct 33) and arrives at Park Square Roundabout, the start of the ring road. Travelling clockwise, the ring road consists of Sheaf Street, Sheaf Square, Suffolk Road (anticlockwise) and Shoreham Street (clockwise), St Mary's Road, St Mary's Gate, Hannover Way, Upper Hannover Street, Netherthorpe Road and Hoyle Street, terminating at Shalesmoor, where the A61 turns north-west the Sheffield's northern suburbs and onto Barnsley. The South portion of the inner ring road follows most of the course of the B6070 before the dual-carriageway sections were built. The B6070 now only applies to Granville Road and Rutland Road at either ends of the southern portion of the ring road.
The Sheffield Northern Relief Road is the scheme closing a hole in the Inner Ring Road. Work began work in 1999, with phase 1 finished in 2000 as Cutlers Gate and was subsequently renamed late in 2008 as Derek Dooley Way, in honour of the late Sheffielder who played football for Sheffield Wednesday before breaking his leg and going on to perform a number of backroom roles across the city at Sheffield United. Derek Dooley Way named section runs from the Parkway to the Wicker. In 2005 work started on the remainder, closing the gap from there to Shalesmoor and ended at the end of 2007. This section goes from Shalesmoor, down Moorfields, turning north at the junction with Gibraltar Street via a newly built road, meeting Corporation Street. It then crosses a new bridge before making its way to the Wicker through what was disused factories. There, at Junction 9, Bridgehouses, the road diverges, with part linking up to the Cutlers Gate section as described to join the Parkway where motorists may then turn right to continue on the ring road to Park Square and part heads underneath the viaduct and links to Spital Hill, Savile Street and Burngreave Road for connections to Attercliffe, Carbrook and the northeast of Sheffield at Meadowhall Centre/Tinsley. Nursery Street, the Wicker and Exchange Place were downgraded as part of the project.
|Sheffield Inner Ring Road|
|left and right assume clockwise direction of travel|
roads which only allow access to, and not exit from the IRR have not been included, for example Milton Street (
|Left exits||Junction||Right exits|
|Parkway (for Darnall, Handsworth and Woodhouse suburbs, Sheffield City Airport, Sheffield Business Park, Advanced Manufacturing Park Outer Ring Road and M1)||1
|Broad Street (for Cricket Inn Road, Wybourn Estate)
Duke Street (for Manor Top and Manor Estate)
|Commercial Street (for City Centre, Ponds Forge and Bus Station)|
Broad Street (for The Square)
Exchange Place (for Castlegate Quarter, Furnival Road, Victoria Holiday Inn and The Wicker south end)
|Sheffield Midland Station and Sheaf Valley Quarter||-|
|Shrewsbury Road (for Manor Top)
Granville Road (for The Sheffield College)
Queens Road for routes south to Chesterfield
Shoreham Street (for Bramall Lane football ground and routes south to Chesterfield)
|Shoreham Street (for BBC Yorkshire's Radio Sheffield HQ the Leadmill and CIQ)|
|Mary Streetac (for CIQ)||-||no exit|
|Eyre Street (for CIQ, the Moor parking, Heart of the City Parking, The Moor Quarter, and Town Hall)||4
|Bramall Lane (for Bramall Lane Football ground, Heeley Mosque, Gleadless Valley and routes south to Chesterfield)|
|London Roadc (for London Road Shops and restaurants and unofficial Chinatown, Abbeydale Road restaurants and Meersbrook Park)||-||South Lane (for the Moor and DWP, DfES and Home Office in the Moorfoot Building)|
|Ecclesall Road (for shopping, boutiques, restaurants and Hunter's Bar, plus routes to the south-western suburbs of Dore, Totley and Ecclesall and the Peak District)||5
|Moore Street (for The Moor Quarter, Devonshire Quarter, Heart of the City, BT tower, Grosvenor Hotel, pubs and bars)|
|Broomhall Streetc (for Broomhall and the Groves suburbs)||-||no exit|
|Broomspring Lanec (for Broomhall)||-||Gell Streetac (for West End parking, Devonshire Quarter|
|no exit||-||Leavygreave Road (for University St. George's Campus)|
|Western Bank (for University West Campus, Children's Hospital+A&E, Central Sheffield University Hospitals, Weston Park and its Museum)
Bolsover Street (for Crookesmoor and Walkley suburbs) and Crookes Valley Park
|Broad Lane (for St. George's Quarter, University St. George's Campus and Cathedral Quarter)|
|Morpeth Street||-||no exit|
|Meadow Street (for Upperthorpe and Infirmary Road shops)||-||Meadow Street (for St. Vincent's Quarter)|
|no exit||-||Doncaster Street (for St. Vincent's Quarter)|
|Penistone Road (for Hillsborough, Grenoside, Ecclesfield and Chapeltown suburbs, Hillsborough shops, Hillsborough - Sheffield Wednesday FC and Owlerton stadia, Northern General Hospital and routes north to Barnsley)||7
|Ebenezer Streetac (for Neepsend and Kelham Island)||-||Shepherd Streetc (for Kelham Island and St. Vincent's Quarter residential areas)|
|Russell Streetac||-||Gibraltar Streetc|
|Cotton Mill Row (for Alma Street, Fat Cat Pub and Kelham Island Industrial Museum)||8
|Plum Lane (for Riverside Quarter, River Don and Castlemore)|
Corporation Street (for West Bar, Law Courts and Paradise Square)
|Alma Street (for Fat Cat Pub and Kelham Island Goit)
Mowbray Street (for Neepsend)
Chatham Street (for Residential areas Neepsend and Burngreave)
|Bridge Street (for Castlegate)|
Nursery Street (for Spitalfield and riverside)
|Spital Hill (for Burngreave)
Saville Street (for Lower Don Valley inc Valley Centertainment, Sheffield Arena)
|c - clockwise travel only. ac - anticlockwise travel only|
For an explanation of the Quarters, see Sheffield City Centre's Quarters
The A61 is a major trunk road in England connecting Derby and Thirsk in North Yorkshire by way of Alfreton, Clay Cross, Chesterfield, Sheffield, Barnsley, Wakefield, Leeds, Harrogate and Ripon. The road is closely paralleled by the M1 motorway between Derby and Leeds.A roads in Zone 6 of the Great Britain numbering scheme
List of A roads in zone 6 in Great Britain starting east of the A6 and A7 roads and west of the A1 (road beginning with 6).Bridgehouses railway station
Bridgehouses railway station was the terminal station of the Sheffield, Ashton-under-Lyne and Manchester Railway from its opening in 1845 until the opening of the Wicker Arches, a 660-yard (600 m) long viaduct across the Don Valley, which supported the new Sheffield Victoria opened on 15 September 1851. On 1 January 1847 a ½-mile connecting line to the Wicker station of the Midland Railway had been constructed in order to increase goods traffic and enable wagon transfers. This short steeply graded line, enclosed within a tunnel for almost its entire length was known locally as the Fiery Jack.By this time the railway operating company had become the Manchester, Sheffield and Lincolnshire Railway, which in 1899 became the Great Central Railway. From 1851 Bridgehouses became the company's terminal for goods and cattle traffic. It remained open for freight until 1965.
The station was approached by a ramp from Nursery Street and on the opposite corner a public house was built. Originally named "The Manchester Railway Hotel" its frontage was damaged in the Sheffield Flood of 1864 and was rebuilt (look at the alignment to the main building). It was renamed "The Manchester Hotel" and in spring 2006, after a short period of closure, it became "The Harlequin", taking the name from a recently demolished pub which stood a short distance away in Johnson Street.
Part of the station site is now used as a car park and part of the retaining wall along Nursery Street has been demolished to make way for the northern section of Sheffield's Inner Ring Road. It has been suggested that this retaining wall might have contained stones from Sheffield Castle.
Before the building of the "Borough Bridge", which carries Corporation Street across the River Don to reach Nursery Street, passenger access to the station from the city area was by a footbridge, depicted by an unknown artist, c. 1840. On the night of 11 March 1864, when the waters of the Great Sheffield flood poured over the bridge, a vast quantity of timber and debris came down with the force of a battering ram, and carried the footbridge away. A successor to this bridge is still standing adjacent to the new bridge which carries the Inner Ring Road over the River Don, although it is in need of restoration.
The terminal was the subject of a BBC local television documentary "Engines must not enter the potato siding" which contained vintage film and memories from former railway workers and which was broadcast in November 1969 at the time of the rationalisation of goods traffic in the Sheffield area and the opening of the new Sheffield Freight Terminal in Brightside Lane. This was adjacent to the site of the former Midland Railway locomotive sheds and yard. The potato siding was situated high above the road and had a wooden floor, fine for wagons and vans but as the title says, not locomotives.Corporation Street
Corporation Street may refer to:
Corporation Street, Birmingham
Corporation Street, Manchester
Corporation Street Bridge, Manchester
Sheffield Inner Ring RoadList of Statutory Instruments of the United Kingdom, 1995
This is a complete list of all 1,872 Statutory Instruments published in the United Kingdom in the year 1995.List of ring roads
Below is a list of ring roads from around the world.Listed buildings in Sheffield City Centre
This is a list of listed buildings in Sheffield City Centre. For the purposes of this list, the city centre is defined as being equivalent to the S1 postcode district. For other areas inside the Sheffield Inner Ring Road which are sometimes regarded as part of the city centre, see listed buildings in S2, listed buildings in S3, listed buildings in S4 and listed buildings in S10.Moorfoot Building
The Moorfoot Building is a large office building in Sheffield, South Yorkshire, England, in the form of a step pyramid. It is located at the foot of The Moor (a pedestrianised shopping street), close to the Sheffield Inner Ring Road. Before its construction, The Moor continued across St Mary's Gate onto London Road. The building opened in July 1981.The building is based around three wings; the East Wing, the West Wing & the North Wing, and floors were originally numbered in the US style with the ground floor as Floor 1 or First Floor. Amongst the facilities originally constructed in the building was a staff restaurant and bar on Floor 2 and a full sized squash court in the basement.
As the construction of the building across The Moor effectively severed the traditional access to The Moor from London Road, to satisfy planning conditions, Moorfoot was designed to allow pedestrian access 'through' the building. The pedestrian walkway began with an elevated ramp near the corner of Young Street and South Lane, before proceeding via a tunnel through the building (including a section with a glazed roof as the route crossed the base of an open area in the East Wing. The walkway exited the building above the car park and used sloping ramps to bring the route back to ground level on The Moor near the Entrance to the building. The route was dependent on the completion of a further planned development (where the Premier Inn hotel is currently located) and as this development did not take place, the route was never completed or opened to the public.
The building was previously known as the Manpower Services Commission Building and was the headquarters of that agency. It later contained offices belonging to several departments of the British Government, namely:
Department of Employment
Department for Children, Schools and Families
Department for Innovation, Universities and Skills
Department for Work and Pensions
Home OfficeThe building was purchased by Sheffield City Council in the late 2000s with the government departments as sitting tenants pending their relocation. In 2010 the British Government vacated the property, and were replaced by the council's Children, Young Peoples and Families Directorate and Central Finance Service.
It was planned that the building would eventually be demolished and the site form part of a new business district.
However, in the summer of 2011, many departments from Sheffield Town Hall moved into the Moorfoot Building. In January 2013 Henry Boot Construction announced the award of a contract to refurbish a large part of the building for Sheffield City Council. The multimillion-pound project was to deliver vital services upgrades and a refurbishment to the majority of the building in order to provide office space for SCC employees.National Centre for Excellence in the Teaching of Mathematics
The National Centre for Excellence in the Teaching of Mathematics (NCETM) is an institution set up in the wake of the Smith Report to improve mathematics teaching in England.
It provides strategic leadership for mathematics-specific CPD and aims to raise the professional status of all those engaged in the teaching of mathematics so that the mathematical potential of learners will be fully realised.
Please note: some of the content on this page is now out of date. For an up-to-date view of the NCETM's work, please go to the Centre's website.Octagon Centre
The Octagon Centre, built in 1983, is a multi-purpose conference centre and music venue at the University of Sheffield, England. Situated in the Western Bank campus, it is joined by a skyway to University House and comprises an eight-sided auditorium with a capacity of 1,500 (1,000 seated), offices, meeting rooms, and a lounge with bar and patio.
The Octagon is used for a variety of purposes, including examinations, lectures, graduation ceremonies, conferences, music concerts and club nights.River Don, Yorkshire
The River Don (also called Dun in some stretches) is a river in South Yorkshire and the East Riding of Yorkshire, England. It rises in the Pennines and flows for 70 miles (110 km) eastwards, through the Don Valley, via Penistone, Sheffield, Rotherham, Mexborough, Conisbrough, Doncaster and Stainforth. It originally joined the Trent, but was re-engineered by Cornelius Vermuyden as the Dutch River in the 1620s, and now joins the River Ouse at Goole. Don Valley is the local UK parliamentary constituency near the Doncaster stretch of the river.Sheffield ring road
Sheffield Ring Road may refer to
Sheffield Inner Ring Road (also known as Sheffield Northern Relief Road)
Sheffield Outer Ring Road
M1, a north–south motorway in England connecting London to Leeds