Seekonk is a town in Bristol County, Massachusetts, United States, on the Massachusetts border with Rhode Island. It was incorporated in 1812 from the western half of Rehoboth. The population was 14,371 at the 2016 census. Until 1862, the town of Seekonk also included what is now the City of East Providence, Rhode Island. The land in the western half of the town was given to Rhode Island by the United States Supreme Court as part of a longstanding boundary dispute with Massachusetts.
Seekonk Town Hall
Location in Bristol County in Massachusetts
|• Type||Open town meeting|
|• Town Administrator||Shawn E. Cadime|
|• Board of Selectmen||David J. Andrade|
David F. Viera
David S. Parker
|• Total||18.32 sq mi (47.7 km2)|
|• Land||18.22 sq mi (47.4 km2)|
|• Water||0.10 sq mi (0.3 km2)|
|Elevation||50 ft (15 m)|
|• Density||782.0/sq mi (301.9/km2)|
|Time zone||UTC-5 (Eastern)|
|• Summer (DST)||UTC-4 (Eastern)|
|Area code(s)||508 / 774|
|GNIS feature ID||0618286|
The earliest known inhabitants of Seekonk were Native Americans from the Wampanoag Tribe. The name Wampanoag means People of the Morning Light. This name refers to the geographical area of the tribe. Living in the East they would be the first people to greet the sun each morning. The area now known as Seekonk and Rehoboth provided agricultural and water resources with abundant food supplies. During the warm summer months the Natives spent time near the rivers and oceans in what is now Southeastern Massachusetts. In the winter months the Natives lived inland, including several locations in Seekonk. At one time there were three Native American villages in the area we now call Seekonk.
There have been many spellings of the name Seekonk. Some of the various spellings include Seconch, Sink Hunk, Secquncke, Seaconke, and Squannakonk. The symbol of the goose in flight is used on the Town Seal.
The chief of the Wampanoags at the time the colonists settled in Southeastern Massachusetts was known as Massasoit Ossamequin had been seriously affected by a plague just prior to the arrival of the Pilgrims at Plymouth. A large number of Wampanoag Indians had been killed by this illness. Most historians believe this plague to have been yellow fever.
Massasoit decided to make a peace treaty with the new immigrants for a number of reasons. Perhaps the most important factor was that the Wampanoags were fearful of being overtaken by the Narragansett Indians who lived nearby. Ossamequin believed an alliance with the English would help to secure the safety of his people.
In 1641, the local Native Americans had granted a large part of modern-day Seekonk to purchasers from Hingham, including Edward Gilman Sr., Joseph Peck, John Leavitt and others. In 1653 Ossamequin and his son Wamsetto, also known as Alexander to the English, signed a deed granting the land that is now Seekonk and the surrounding communities to Thomas Willitt, Myles Standish and Josiah Winslow.
The Wampanoags were paid 35 pounds sterling by the English settlers, for instance, for the sale to Willitt, Standish and Winslow.
Three of the earliest English men to settle in the area now known as Seekonk and Providence were William Blackstone, Roger Williams and Samuel Newman. These men and their followers proved it was possible to provide a living away from the coastal areas. This allowed groups of individuals to separate themselves from Puritan control. In turn this led to a greater diversity of culture and religious and philosophical freedom. It was only by forming alliances with the Native Americans in both the Wampanoag and Narragansett tribes that these early settlements were able to flourish.
Massasoit lived until he was 80 years old. While he lived, his people and the settlers lived in relative peace. He was followed in power by his son Wamsetto, also known as Alexander. This chief died shortly after his father and was replaced by his brother Metacomet, also known as King Philip.
In 1675, King Philip's War began and both sides saw this as an opportunity to claim the land for their people and their way of life. Metacomet and his people ultimately lost the war, and the chief was killed by a mixed group of English and Indian fighters led by Benjamin Church. He was beheaded and his head stayed on public display on a pole in Plymouth for 25 years.
For the next 200 years the area we now call Seekonk was primarily a farming community. Accounts of Town Meetings during these years communicate just how contentious deciding what was best for this area could be. Boundary disputes were common and the land that is now Rehoboth, East Providence, Pawtucket and Seekonk was claimed by both Rhode Island and Massachusetts. In 1812 the border disputes were settled by the courts and the present town of Seekonk was incorporated. Two industrial villages developed to supplement the agricultural economy, with such businesses as the Rumford Chemical Works, but what had been the industrial area of the town in the late-18th and early-19th century was lost when East Providence was incorporated in 1862 taking half of the town's territory, two-thirds of its valuation and more than two-thirds of its population. The town remained basically agricultural into the 20th century, although the Kent Manufacturing Company did make tennis racquets and croquet sets on the upper reaches of the Tenmile River. With the opening of the Providence and Taunton street railway in 1891, Seekonk became increasingly a residential suburb of Providence.
Very few farms still exist in Seekonk. Developers have turned the farms into housing divisions and Seekonk is used largely as a suburban home community for people who work in the Rhode Island and Boston areas. It is now well known for its retail area along Route 6, which includes a movie multiplex, many different chain stores and restaurants, Seekonk Speedway, a 1/3 mile oval track located along Route 6, as well as Seekonk Grand Prix, with multiple amusement rides and miniature golf. Although there has been a great deal of building in Seekonk since the Wampanoags first lived here one can still see many of the "black" Canada geese which give the town its name.
According to the United States Census Bureau, the town has a total area of 18.4 square miles (48 km2), of which, 18.3 square miles (47 km2) of it is land and 0.1 square miles (0.26 km2) of it is water. The total area is 0.54% water. It is bordered by Rehoboth to the east, Barrington, Rhode Island and Swansea to the south, East Providence and Pawtucket, Rhode Island to the west, and Attleboro to the north. Much of the population is concentrated in two areas; one, the Lebanon Mills and Perrins Crossing neighborhoods in the north, and the other, the southern neighborhoods of Luthers Corners and South Seekonk, mostly located between Interstate 195 and Route 44. Seekonk is just five miles (8 km) east of Providence, Rhode Island, and is 48 miles (77 km) southwest of Boston.
The town has three golf courses Ledgemont Country Club (private), Pawtucket Country Club (private) and Firefly Golf Course (public). Slater Memorial Park in Pawtucket lies just over the Seekonk line, next to Pawtucket Country Club. The Town lies within two watershed areas, the Ten Mile River Watershed and the Narragansett Bay Watershed.
The town can be accessed through one interstate, I-195, as well as Route 6, Route 44, Route 152 and Route 114A. Seekonk has its own exit on I-195, Massachusetts Exit 1, Route 114A, which provides easy access to Route 6 to the south and Route 44 to the north. Route 152, while not connected to any other state route in town, is a major route running between East Providence and Attleboro.
From the south end of town, access can be had by the Rhode Island Public Transit Authority (RIPTA) stop on Commerce Way.
From the north end of town, easy access can be had to Interstate 95 and the South Attleboro stop of the MBTA's commuter line between Providence and Boston. That end of town is also served by a regional transit authority, the Greater Attleboro Taunton Regional Transit Authority (GATRA). The town's nearest airport is T.F. Green Airport in Warwick, Rhode Island, near Providence 13 miles (21 km) away. Logan International Airport is the nearest international airport, 50 miles (80 km) away in Boston.
Source: United States Census records and Population Estimates Program data.
As of the census of 2000, there were 13,425 people, 4,843 households, and 3,874 families residing in the town. The population density was 733.0 people per square mile (282.9/km²). There were 4,947 housing units at an average density of 270.1 per square mile (104.3/km²). The racial makeup of the town was 96.57% White, 0.52% African American, 0.28% Native American, 0.95% Asian, 0.00% Pacific Islander, 0.51% from other races, and 1.18% from two or more races. 0.74% of the population were Hispanic or Latino of any race.
There were 4,843 households out of which 35.7% had children under the age of 18 living with them, 67.6% are married couples living together, 9.5% had a female householder with no husband present, and 20.0% were non-families. 16.8% of all households were made up of individuals and 8.8% had someone living alone who was 65 years of age or older. The average household size was 2.77 and the average family size was 3.12.
In the town, the population was spread out with 25.3% under the age of 18, 6.1% from 18 to 24, 28.7% from 25 to 44, 26.4% from 45 to 64, and 13.5% who were 65 years of age or older. The median age was 40 years. For every 100 females, there were 94.3 males. For every 100 females age 18 and over, there were 92.6 males.
The median income for a household in the town was $56,364, and the median income for a family was $62,361. Males had a median income of $42,404 versus $29,782 for females. The per capita income for the town was $24,058. 2.4% of the population and 1.7% of families were below the poverty line. 3.0% of those under the age of 18 and 2.2% of those 65 and older were living below the poverty line.
In the year 2000 the population was 13,425, with 6,517 males (48.5%) and 6,908 females (51.5%). Popular ancestries of the population include Portuguese (22.0%), Irish (21.4%), English (16.7%), French (14.4%), Italian (11.9%) and French Canadian (6.4%).
On the state level, Seekonk is part of the Fourth Bristol state representative district, including Rehoboth and parts of Norton and Swansea, and the Bristol and Norton state senatorial district, including part of the city of Attleboro and all or parts of the towns of Dover, Foxborough, Mansfield, Medfield, Norton, Rehoboth, Sharon and Walpole. Seekonk's state representative is Steve Howitt representing the 4th Bristol District. Seekonk is patrolled by Troop D (Southeast District), 4th Barracks (located in Middleborough) of the Massachusetts State Police. On the national level, the town is part of Massachusetts Congressional District 4, which is represented by Joe Kennedy. The state's Senior (Class I) Senator is Elizabeth Warren, and the state's Junior (Class II) Senator, is Ed Markey.
Seekonk is governed by an open town meeting led by a board of selectmen. The town has a central police station, led by Chief Frank John, on Route 44, and a central post office at the corner of Routes 44 and 114A. The Seekonk Public Library is located near the center of town along Route 152. The town also has a branch of the YMCA.
Seekonk's current board of selectmen are: David J. Andrade (Chairman), Nelson Almeida (Vice Chairman), Christopher Zorra, David Veira, and Michelle Hines. The current Town Administrator is Shawn E. Cadime.
The Seekonk Fire Department provides all fire and paramedic services to the town. The Department responded to 3,157 calls for emergency services in fiscal year 2017. There are 38 Career Firefighters, consisting of 4 groups of 9 Firefighters. 2 Monday-Friday day-time Captains and Chief of the Department, Michael Healy. The Fire Department operates the following stations and apparatus:
|Seekonk Fire Department Company No. 1||1||170 County Street||NOT MANNED||1942|
|Richard C. Banna Memorial Fire Station||2||30 Pine Street||Career- staffing of 1 Engine and ALS Rescue||2014|
|Seekonk Public Safety Headquarters||3||500 Taunton Avenue||Full-time Career personnel||2005|
Seekonk has its own public school system, with four active schools. The town has two elementary schools: Mildred H. Aitken Elementary School (serving the north and central parts of town), and George R. Martin Elementary School (serving the south). North Elementary School, which celebrated its 95th anniversary in 2006, was closed during the summer of 2006 due to budget cuts. Dr. Kevin M. Hurley Middle School, recently renamed for a popular town educator, is located along Route 152 and serves the entire town's 6th through 8th grade population. Seekonk High School is located near the center of town. Its athletics teams are nicknamed the "Warriors," and its school colors are Columbia blue, navy blue,and white though traditionally the school colors are Columbia blue and white. The school uses the "spear" logo made famous by Florida State University and, formerly, the Washington Redskins. Seekonk is the southernmost member of the Tri-County Regional Vocational Technical High School district, which is centered in Franklin. High school students may also choose to attend Bristol County Agricultural High School in Dighton, or any of a number of religious schools in the surrounding communities (the closest school in-state being Bishop Feehan High School in Attleboro).
Alvah Hunt (c. 1798 Seekonk, Bristol County, Massachusetts – October 28, 1858 New York City) was an American merchant and politician.Barrington River (Rhode Island)
The Barrington River is a tidal extension of Runnins River in the U.S. states of Rhode Island and Massachusetts. It flows approximately 6 km (4 mi). There are no dams along the river's length.Coles Brook
Coles Brook is a small stream that begins east of Pine Street in Rehoboth MA, and flows in a southwest direction to Central Pond and the James V. Turner Reservoir and the on the border of Seekonk, Massachusetts and East Providence, Rhode Island. It is a tributary of the Ten Mile River.The brook is 5.3 miles long and has three small dams along its course. The brook flows through the Caratunk wildlife reservation in Seekonk, which has large portions of open space and wildlife, and is the site of Native American Camps, where artifact have been uncovered.
The Coles Brook is on the list of impaired waterways, due to pathogens, although it has still been rated a Class B waterway fishable, swimmable.Cristina Nardozzi
Cristina Nardozzi is an American model and beauty pageant titleholder who has competed in the Miss USA 2005 pageant but Unplaced.
In late 2004 Nardozzi won the Miss Massachusetts USA 2005 title in Quincy, Massachusetts. She represented her state at the Miss USA 2005 pageant held in Baltimore, Maryland in April 2005 but failed to place. The nationally televised pageant was won by Chelsea Cooley of North Carolina.
Nardozzi, a Communications major at Bridgewater State College was a three-year member of the women's indoor track and field program and holds their high jump record at 5'4". In August 2003 she was one of forty finalists selected to compete in the Sports Illustrated Fresh Faces Swimsuit Model Search. Nardozzi has worked as an intern in the sports department at WHDH 7 in Boston and aspires for a career in television broadcasting.Nardozzi, Jennifer Fairbank (Miss Hawaii USA 2005), Kristen Berset (Miss Florida USA 2004), Tamiko Nash (Miss California USA 2006), Ellen Chapman (Miss California USA 2004), Angelique Breux (Mis California USA 1999) and Lindsay Douglas (Miss Kansas USA 2002 appeared on NBC's new show 1 vs. 100 which aired September 2006. She may appear as a cocktail waitress in the film Ocean's Thirteen.
She was a contestant on Fear Factor in 2005 on the Miss USA episode #5.29.
Nardozzi is a co-owner of Sashes & Crowns, a pageant and modeling coaching organization, along with Tara Darby (Miss Alabama USA 2004 and finalist in Miss USA 2004).George Claghorn
George Claghorn (July 17, 1748 [O.S. July 6, 1748] – February 3, 1824) was an American patriot and shipwright. He served as an officer and was wounded in the American Revolutionary War. After the war, he was awarded the rank of colonel in the Massachusetts militia. Claghorn was the master shipbuilder of the USS Constitution (a.k.a. "Old Ironsides"), which he and Samuel Nicholson built for the early United States Navy during the years 1794–1797. The Constitution is the oldest naval vessel in the world that is still commissioned, afloat and seaworthy.Jennifer Holmes (actress)
Jennifer Holmes (born August 23, 1955, in Seekonk, Massachusetts) is an American television actress.
Holmes is best known for her role as Leslie Vanderkellen, a fabulously rich, world-class skier who takes the job of hotel maid "to find out what it's like to be average," on the first season of Newhart. She left the show after the first season and was replaced by Julia Duffy who portrayed Leslie's cousin, Stephanie Vanderkellen.
Holmes also appeared in the 1979 slasher film The Demon starring Cameron Mitchell, and acted opposite Mitchell again in the 1982 film Raw Force. She also appeared in the TV movie versions of Hobson's Choice (1983) and Samson and Delilah (1984). In 1985, she starred in Misfits of Science, a short-lived television series about a group of superheroes who fight crime for a scientific think tank.
In the 1980s, Holmes was also a guest star on many television shows, including The Rockford Files, Lou Grant, Fame, Webster, The Love Boat, Murder, She Wrote, Hart to Hart and Voyagers!, Tales of The Unexpected (TV series)John Gregorek
John Gregorek (born 15 April 1960) is an American former middle-distance runner who competed in the Summer Olympics in 1980 (boycotted) and 1984. His son, John Gregorek Jr., is also a competitive middle-distance runner, who competed in the 2017 World Championships.John Gregorek Jr.
Johnny Gregorek Jr. is an American middle distance runner. He competed in the 2017 World Championships in the 1500m, where he placed 10th in a time of 3:37.56.Martin House (Seekonk, Massachusetts)
The Martin House is a historic house at 940 County Street in Seekonk, Massachusetts.
The house is a frame structure with clapboard exterior. It is two and a half stories, plus an 18-foot square monitor above. It has an entrance porch with two Doric columns. There are eight rooms distributed around a central hall plan. The house was built c. 1799–1801, and is stylistically similar to houses built at the time in Newport, Rhode Island. It was listed on the National Register of Historic Places in 1974.North Seekonk, Massachusetts
North Seekonk is a census-designated place (CDP) in the town of Seekonk in Bristol County, Massachusetts, United States. The population was 2,643 at the 2010 census.Providence Airport
Providence Airport was an airfield operational in the mid-20th century in Seekonk, Massachusetts.Rumford, Rhode Island
Rumford, Rhode Island is the northern section of the city of East Providence, Rhode Island. It borders Seekonk, Massachusetts, Pawtucket, Rhode Island, and the Ten Mile River (Seekonk River). Rumford has been part of three towns and two states: Rehoboth, Massachusetts, Seekonk, Massachusetts, and East Providence, Rhode Island. It became part of Rhode Island in 1862. Rumford Baking Powder was made in the town at the Rumford Chemical Works and was named after Sir Benjamin Thompson, Count Rumford.
Wannamoisett Country Club was established in Rumford in 1898 on land rented from Rumford Chemical Works, and it hosts the Northeast Amateur Invitational Golf Tournament each year. The 1931 PGA Championship was played here.About 150 acres (61 ha) of the Rumford area was listed on the National Register of Historic Places in 1980, encompassing the historic heart of old Seekonk and the 19th-century center of East Providence.Seekonk High School
Seekonk High School is a public high school operated by Seekonk Public Schools in Seekonk, Massachusetts. It serves the district's 9–12 student population. The school's mission statement is "All students will achieve their maximum potential by becoming responsible, productive citizens and life-long learners."Seekonk Meadows Park
The Seekonk Meadows Park (or simply The Meadows) is a park located in Seekonk, Massachusetts. It is located in the central portion of the town, on an eight-acre former landfill, surrounding the Seekonk Public Library. Upon its official opening on June 23, 2012, it became the towns first park.Seekonk Public Schools
Seekonk Public Schools is a school district that serves Seekonk, Massachusetts. It currently operates four schools, and serves Pre-K to 12th grade. The superintendent of schools is Dr. Richard "Rich" Drolet.Steve Howitt
Steven S. Howitt is the current member of the Massachusetts House of Representatives for the 4th Bristol district.Steven D'Amico
Steven J. D'Amico (born February 21, 1953 in Providence, Rhode Island) is an American politician who represented the 4th Bristol District in the Massachusetts House of Representatives from 2007–2011 and served as town meeting member in Seekonk, Massachusetts from 1989–1995.Ten Mile River (Seekonk River tributary)
The Ten Mile River is a river within the U.S. states of Massachusetts and Rhode Island. It flows approximately 22 miles (35 km) and drains a watershed of 54 square miles (140 km2).The North Attleborough National Fish Hatchery is located in its upper reaches, and the river offers stocked trout fishing in the spring.
The Ten Mile River was badly polluted in the mid 1900s but has subsequently been remediated. Although there are still issues with metals and sediments in the water, the river and nearly all its tributaries are now designated as Class B waters (fishable, swimmable).Wilde River
Wilde Brook is a stream in Seekonk, Massachusetts and Pawtucket, Rhode Island. It begins at Bitersweet Pond in Seekonk and flows 5.2 miles to its confluence with the Ten Mile River in Pawtucket.
Municipalities and communities of Bristol County, Massachusetts, United States
|Cities and towns|
|Cities and towns|
|Cities and towns|