Scremerston is a village in Northumberland, England. The village lies on the North Sea coast about 3 miles (5 km) south of Berwick-upon-Tweed and adjacent to the A1, providing access to Newcastle upon Tyne to the south, and to Edinburgh to the north.
Old A1 running through Scremerston
|OS grid reference|
|Sovereign state||United Kingdom|
|EU Parliament||North East England|
The lands historically were held by the Radcliffe family, Earls of Derwentwater, but when James the last earl was tainted in 1716 the lands were granted to the Commissioners of Greenwich Hospital. At the end of the nineteenth century the sole landowners are given as the Lords of the Admiralty.
Geological variations in this area allowed many coal seams to develop, some two feet thick, and were among the earliest coal formations in Britain. There were extensive collieries and manufactories of lime, bricks and tiles around Scremerston, and this, as well as agriculture, were the mainstays for employment for people in the area.
The soil is of a clay nature, perfect for the making of bricks and tiles. Crops such as wheat, beans, barley, oats and turnip were grown. The parish is largely agricultural, but the influence of mining is responsible for the growth of the township, though today all of those mines have been closed.
The Devil's Causeway passes the village less than 1 mile (2 km) to the west. The causeway is a Roman road which starts at Port Gate on Hadrian's Wall, north of Corbridge, and extends 55 miles (89 km) northwards across Northumberland to the mouth of the River Tweed at Berwick-upon-Tweed.
The Anglican church of St. Peter's, built in the Early English style, was consecrated in 1842. There was also a Primitive Methodist chapel built in 1886 at a cost of nearly £400. The population for 1851 is given as 1,152 people though by 1891 it had fallen to 890.
Berwick RFC, which plays in the Scottish leagues, is based here.
Ancroft is a village and civil parish (which includes the village of Scremerston) in Northumberland, England. Prior to 1844, Ancroft lay within the Islandshire exclave of County Durham. It is south of Berwick-upon-Tweed, and has a population of 885, rising slightly to 895 at the 2011 census.There are several suggestions as to how Ancroft got its name. It might be an abridged version of "Aidan's-croft" - the croft of St Aidan who was the first Bishop of Lindisfarne (Holy Island). Alternatively, it might be that as the church is dedicated to Saint Anne, the village took its name from the church - "St Anne's croft". A third suggestion is simply that it means one croft or solitary croft - "ane croft".
There was surely more than one croft here when the church was built, probably towards the end of the 11th century; but in common with most of this region, the community declined in the latter part of the 13th century because of the continual border raids by the Scots. This turbulent history is reflected in the number of castles and peel towers in the vicinity, besides the fortified tower that was added to the church in the thirteenth century.
Because of the repeated incursions by Scots, this northern part of what we now call Northumberland was placed in the charge of the prince-bishops of Durham. They were powerful and wealthy men who had the resources to defend the border. That is why this area was still part of County Durham until the mid 1800s.After the accession of James I (James VI of Scotland) to the throne of England in 1603 there seems to have been a return of people to the village. But in 1667 the plague struck Ancroft, The victims were carried out into the fields where they were covered with shelters made from branches of broom. After death both bodies and shelters were burned in a rudimentary and fruitless attempt to control the spread of the disease. To this day a field to the south of the village is called "Broomie Huts". In desperation the authorities of the day ordered that the plague-affected cottages should be burned to the ground. The mounds where the cottages stood, and the former village street, can still be seen in the field between the main road and the burn.
By the time of Queen Anne (1702–1714) the village was flourishing once more, with a population of over one thousand. The main industry, other than farming, was shoe and clog making. Sailors of the Royal Navy wore shoes or slippers from Ancroft. The naval specification required footwear with no metal parts - an obvious precaution to avoid sparks in a wooden ship loaded with gunpowder and tarred rope! Boots were also made for the British army - the Duke of Marlborough's troops marched to victory shod in Ancroft boots. A village tradition claims that each of the one hundred trees on the southern skyline represents a cobbler.
Several of the local settlements originated around coal mines, an industry which is being redeveloped in today's open cast sites.Ashington railway station
Ashington railway station was a station serving the town of Ashington in Northumberland, Northern England. It was on the branch to Newbiggin-by-the-Sea.
British Railways closed the station in 1964, but it has been the object of a reopening campaign since at least the 1990s.Bedlington railway station
Bedlington railway station was a railway station that served the town of Bedlington, Northumberland, England from 1850 to 1964 on the Blyth and Tyne Railway.Berwick RFC
Berwick Rugby Football Club is a rugby union team that was founded in 1926, and reformed in 1968. The team is based in the town of Berwick-upon-Tweed, just over the border in England. They are affiliated to the English Rugby Football Union and the Scottish Rugby Union. They play in the Scottish Rugby Union East Regional League Division 1.
Berwick play their home games at Scremerston.Fourstones railway station
Fourstones railway station was a railway station that served the village of Fourstones, Northumberland, England from 1837 to 1967 on the Tyne Valley Line.Goswick railway station
Goswick railway station served the hamlet of Goswick, Northumberland, England from 1870 to 1964 on the East Coast Main Line.Kenton Bank railway station
Kenton railway station, later known as Kenton Bank, is a closed railway station that was served by the Ponteland Light Railway, operated by the North Eastern Railway. It was located close to what is now the B6918.Kielder railway station
Kielder railway station is a closed railway station that served the village hamlet of Kielder, Northumberland.Lambley railway station
Lambley railway station is a former railway station which was 4¾ miles up the Alston Line which ran from the junction at Haltwhistle.List of places in Northumberland
Map of villages in Northumberland compiled from this list
This is a list of places in Northumberland, in England. The area covered is the ceremonial county, hence the exclusion of places traditionally regarded as being in Northumberland which are now in Tyne and Wear for administrative and ceremonial purposes. See the list of places in England for places in other counties.List of schools in Northumberland
This is a list of schools in Northumberland, England.Lucker railway station
Lucker railway station served the village of Lucker, Northumberland, England, from 1847 to 1965 on the East Coast Main Line.Meldon railway station
Meldon railway station was a stone built railway station with goods sidings in Northumberland on the Wansbeck Railway between Morpeth and Reedsmouth to the south of the village of Meldon.Reedsmouth railway station
Reedsmouth is a closed railway station in Northumberland, England. It was a junction station where the Wansbeck Railway (Morpeth to Reedsmouth) joined the Border Counties Railway (Hexham to Riccarton Junction).Scremerston Formation
The Scremerston Formation is a geologic formation in England. It preserves fossils dating back to the Carboniferous period.Scremerston railway station
Scremerston railway station was a railway station that served the village of Scremerston, Northumberland, England from 1847 to 1951 on the East Coast Main Line.Seaton Delaval railway station
Seaton Delaval railway station was a railway station that served the village of Seaton Delaval, Northumberland, England from 1841 to 1965 on the Blyth and Tyne Railway.Seghill railway station
Seghill railway station was a railway station that served the village of Seghill, Northumberland, England from 1841 to 1965 on the Blyth and Tyne Railway.Velvet Hall railway station
Velvet Hall railway station was a railway station which served the village of Horncliffe in Northumberland, England.