St Luke's Church
|OS grid reference|
|• London||145 mi (233 km) SSE|
|Sovereign state||United Kingdom|
|EU Parliament||Yorkshire and the Humber|
Don Valley Academy member of Delta Academies Trust (formerly Don Valley School and Performing Arts College) is a mixed 11–18 Academy located in Scawthorpe, Doncaster, South Yorkshire, England. The school also has a Sixth Form centre.Doncaster
Doncaster (, ) is a large town in South Yorkshire, England. Together with its surrounding suburbs and settlements, the town forms part of the Metropolitan Borough of Doncaster, which had a mid-2017 est. population of 308,900. The town itself has a population of 109,805 The Doncaster Urban Area had a population of 158,141 in 2011 and includes Doncaster and neighbouring small villages. Part of the West Riding of Yorkshire until 1974, Doncaster is about 17 miles (30 km) north-east of Sheffield, with which it is served by an international airport, Doncaster Sheffield Airport in Finningley. Under the Local Government Act 1972, Doncaster was incorporated into a newly created metropolitan borough in 1974, itself incorporated with other nearby boroughs in the 1974 creation of the metropolitan county of South Yorkshire.Hangthwaite
Hangthwaite Castle was an earthwork motte and bailey castle founded by Nigel Fozzard. It stood in the 11th century and is situated just north of Scawthorpe, Doncaster, South Yorkshire, England. In the 13th century, a fortified house called Radcliffe Moat (53.5554°N 1.1639°W / 53.5554; -1.1639 (Radcliffe Moat)) replaced Hangthwaite Castle as a local fortification. Nowadays, only the motte and the ditches remain. Encased by the wide wet ditch, the motte defends a bean-shaped eastern bailey and a small north-western mound, which is possibly a barbican.It is known locally as Castle Hills, with a school, just a few hundred yards away bearing the name Castle Hills Primary School.List of schools in Doncaster
This is a list of schools in the Metropolitan Borough of Doncaster in the English county of South Yorkshire.List of settlements in South Yorkshire by population
This is a list of settlements in South Yorkshire by population based on the results of the 2011 census. The next United Kingdom census will take place in 2021. In 2011, there were 34 built-up area subdivisions with 5,000 or more inhabitants in South Yorkshire, shown in the table below.Scawsby
Scawsby is a village and community area on the west of Doncaster, South Yorkshire, England on the A635, close to the A1(M). It was historically part of the West Riding of Yorkshire. It is about 2 miles north-west of Doncaster and about 4.5 miles north-east of Conisbrough.
Scawthorpe, Marr, Cusworth, Sprotbrough and Bentley are close-by villages.
The local parish church in the village is the Church of St Leonard and St Jude.
It is in the civil parish of Sprotbrough and Cusworth, which had a population of 12,166, decreasing slightly to 12,134 at the 2011 Census. Cusworth Hall is located there.
Listed buildings in the village include 17th century Scawsby Hall and a Tudor cottage.In 2012, BBC News reported on Scawsby Fisheries, a fish and chip shop on Rowena Drive which attempted for charity the world fish and chip portion record, with a fry of 33lb (15kg) of battered cod alongside 64lb (29kg) of chips.On Barnsley Road is the local primary school, Scawsby Saltersgate Junior School, with Scawsby Saltersgate Infant School, Scawsby Community Centre (Ullswater Walk), Scawsby Health Centre, and two public houses, Scawsby Mill and The Sun (originally the Sun Inn).
Scawsby Day College of Education operated here in the village, until it closed in 1976. Rosedale School, Ridgewood School and Stone Hill School are all other schools in Scawsby.
The village is mainly on the A635 but areas lie on streets like Cusworth Lane and the A638.
The village has many shops; a OneStop, a Londis Convenience Store, a First Stop Food and Drinks and the Sun Service Station on York Road. Altogether, it has four public houses, The Sun, the Scawsby Mill, the Roman Ridge and York Bar W M C Working Mens Club, on the corner of Cusworth Lane and the A638.
Capital FM is available in this area, as one of the most popular radio stations. Classic FM, Hallam FM, Heart Yorkshire and many others are also available here. Viking FM and BBC Radio Humberside also over-lap into this area.Scotterthorpe
Scotterthorpe is a hamlet in the civil parish of Scotter and the West Lindsey district of Lincolnshire, England. It is 2.5 miles (4.0 km) south from the M180 motorway, 9 miles (14 km) north-east from Gainsborough, 5 miles (8 km) south from Scunthorpe, and 1 mile (1.6 km) north-east from the village of Scotter.
In the 1086 Domesday Book Scotterthorpe is written as "Scaltorp", in the West Riding of Lindsey and the Hundred of Corringham. It comprised 12 households, 4 villagers and 8 freemen, with 2 ploughlands and a meadow of 30 acres (0 km2). In 1066 Alnoth and Eskil were Lords of the Manor, which, by 1086, had been transferred to the Abbey of St Peter, Peterborough, which was also Tenant-in-chief. Mills states that the name of village of "Scalthorpe" derives from the Old Scandinavian: "an outlying farmstead or hamlet of a man called Skalli".English Heritage calls an earlier deserted medieval village of Scotterthorpe, "Scawthorpe", being just south-west of the present settlement, with evidence of tofts (homesteads with land), and indicating that there is no mention of its existence later than 1100 CE.Scotterthorpe is recorded in the 1872 White's Directory as a hamlet of Scotter, others being Susworth and Cotehouses. Revenue and taxes came from the "Town and Constable's Land", created after the early 19th- century enclosure of Scotter, with above 9 acres (0.04 km2) given to Scotterthorpe to support the hamlet as a constablewick [historically an area of land under the charge and jurisdiction of an appointed constable who would oversee parish civil and criminal law, and church law]. There were nine farmers in the hamlet.