Saugus Town Hall
|• Type||Town Manager–Board of Selectmen/Representative town meeting|
|• Town Manager||Scott Crabtree|
|• Board of Selectmen||Debra Panetta|
|• Total||11.8 sq mi (30.6 km2)|
|• Land||10.8 sq mi (28.0 km2)|
|• Water||1.0 sq mi (2.6 km2)|
|Elevation||21 ft (6 m)|
|• Density||2,300/sq mi (870/km2)|
|Time zone||UTC-5 (Eastern)|
|• Summer (DST)||UTC-4 (Eastern)|
|Area code(s)||339 / 781|
|GNIS feature ID||0619454|
|Website||Town of Saugus, Official Web Site|
Saugus was first settled in 1629. Saugus is a Native American (Algonquin) name believed to mean "great" or "extended". In 1637, the territory known as Saugus (which also contained the present day cities and towns of Swampscott, Nahant, Lynn, Lynnfield, Reading, and Wakefield) was renamed Lin or Lynn, after King's Lynn in Norfolk, England.
In 1646, the Saugus Iron Works, then called Hammersmith, began operations. It was the first integrated iron works in North America as well as one of the most technologically advanced in the world. The Iron Works produced over one ton of iron a day, but was not financially successful. It closed around 1670.
In September 1687, Major Samuel Appleton was said to have given a speech from a rocky cliff near the Iron Works denouncing the tyranny of Colonial Governor Sir Edmund Andros. The place where he is said to have delivered the speech became known as Appleton's Pulpit.
Nearly 100 men from Saugus fought in the American Revolutionary War. Saugus' preacher, Parson Joseph Roby, worked to strengthen the spirit of independence in Saugus and was instrumental in seeing that Saugus sent a large contingent to fight in the war.
In 1805 the Newburyport Turnpike (now U.S. 1) was built. About four miles of this road was built in Saugus. At first the turnpike was considered a mistake, as it was built over hills and swamps and grass soon grew over the road bed. From 1840 to 1846, the tolls were discontinued and it became a public highway. The invention of the automobile resulted in an increase of traffic on the Turnpike. In 1933 the road was widened and an overpass was added to separate the traffic on Route 1 and Main Street. In the 1950s new businesses began moving to Route 1. Today the businesses along Route 1 generate millions in dollars for Saugus.
The Lynn territory was shortened beginning in 1814 with the incorporation of Lynnfield. On February 17, 1815, present-day Saugus was officially incorporated as a town. The first town meeting was held on March 13, 1815 in the parish church. At the time of its incorporation, Saugus' population was 784. Its main industry was agriculture.
Saugus' first post office was established in 1832 in East Saugus. In 1858 two more were established - one in Saugus Center and one in Cliftondale. Now only the Cliftondale post office remains in Saugus.
The first town hall was built in 1837. It was built with $2,000 of the United States revenue surplus distributed by President Andrew Jackson. It is currently an American Legion hall. In 1875, the town built its second and current town hall on Central Street. The construction of the town hall put Saugus in a $50,000 debt. For this and other reasons the neighborhood of East Saugus sought to be set off from Saugus and annexed to the city of Lynn. East Saugus was unable to get a bill in both houses of the state legislature, and the issue was dropped after the town appropriated $5,000 for the laying of water pipes through East Saugus.
Passenger trains ran through Saugus from 1853 to 1958 on the Saugus Branch Railroad. There were three Saugus Branch stations in Saugus (Saugus Center, Cliftondale, and Pleasant Hills) and two just outside the town's borders in Lynn (East Saugus) and Revere (Franklin Park).
During the American Civil War, 155 Saugonians enlisted in the Union Army and eight others enlisted in the Union Navy. Saugus native Gustavus Fox served as the United States Assistant Secretary of the Navy during the war. The USS Saugus, a Union Navy monitor named after the town was launched in December 1863. Following the war Henry E. Hone donated a large granite monument to the town of Saugus. The monument, which was designed by Melzar Hunt Mosman and cost $10,000 to build, contains the names of all of the men from Saugus who served during the Civil War on bronze tablets. Above the tablets are two bronze statues, one of a soldier and one of a sailor. It is topped by a granite statue of woman wearing a helmet with an eagle on the top and holding a shield in her right hand, which serves as an allegorical representation of the United States. The monument was erected in the rotary at Saugus Center in 1875.
Following the Civil War, the Cliftondale section of Saugus became a major producer of tobacco as many of the southern tobacco plantations had been destroyed. Waitt & Bond became a major producer of cigars and the snuff factory in East Saugus was the nation's largest producer of that product.
From 1859 to 1905, Saugus was home to the Franklin Park harness racing track. also known as the Old Saugus Race Track or Saugus Race Course. It closed in 1905 after local citizens complained about the questionable patrons that the racetrack attracted. In 1911 the racetrack became an airfield. In 1912, the property was purchased by the General Aviation Corporation who named it Atwood Park in honor of their most famous pilot, Harry Atwood. The airfield saw the first airmail delivery in New England on May 30, 1912. Pioneer aviators Ruth Bancroft Law and Lincoln J. Beachey flew at Saugus. The airport closed in the 1920s.
On October 8, 1900, George E. Bailey was murdered at Breakheart Hill Farm in Saugus. His legs and torso would be found nine days later in Floating Bridge Pond in Lynn. His head and arms were found there the next day. After a highly publicized investigation and trial, John C. Best was found guilty of murder. He was executed on September 9, 1902.
In 1934, Breakheart Hill Forest, a private hunting retreat located in North Saugus, was purchased by the Metropolitan District Commission for use as a state park. Shortly after purchasing Breakheart, the MDC turned the land over to the Civilian Conservation Corps, which built roads and trails, planted trees, and restored two dams on the property. In 1936, Breakheart Reservation was opened to the public.
Following a June 2, 1947, referendum, the town adopted a Plan E form of government. Saugus became the first town in Massachusetts to accept this form of government. On February 16, 1948, James Shurtleff was unanimously chosen by the Board of Selectmen to become the first Town Manager of Saugus.
In 1948, archaeologist Roland W. Robbins began excavating the site of the Saugus Iron Works, which had become hidden by underbrush since its closure. Based on the archeological evidence gathered by Robbins as well as historical documents and conjecture, the First Iron Works Association, with funding from the American Iron and Steel Institute, reconstructed the Saugus Iron Works. The Saugus Iron Works was opened on September 18, 1954 and operated as a private museum from 1954 until April 5, 1968, when it was renamed the Saugus Iron Works National Historic Site and became part of the National Park Service system.
Saugus is home to the oldest barber shop in the United States. The 112-year-old George's Barber Shop is located in the Cliftondale section of Saugus.
In the 1970s, the town, led by Town Manager Francis Moorehouse, attempted to transform the area around Route 107 by having an oil refinery and a garbage incineration plant built. Although the refinery plans fell through in October 1975, the incineration plant was completed. It would become the first commercially successful incineration plant in the U.S. and is still in operation today.
During the 1990s and 2000s, the town's Capital Improvement Plan, designed by Edward J. Collins, Jr., resulted in the construction of the new public safety building, senior center, library and public works facility. The Saugus Town Hall and the Stackpole Field clubhouse were renovated. In 2001, Town Manager Steven Angelo was able to secure federal funds to dredge the Saugus River, a project that had lingered since the 1960s.
The Saugus American Little League team represented New England in the 2003 Little League World Series. The team finished the tournament in 4th place. Its come-from-behind victory over Richmond, Texas in the tournament's quarterfinals was nominated for the Best Game ESPY Award.
According to the United States Census Bureau, the town has a total area of 11.8 square miles (30.6 km2), of which 10.8 square miles (28.0 km2) is land and 1.0 square mile (2.6 km2), or 8.53%, is water. The town lies just inland from Massachusetts Bay, divided from the ocean by the Point of Pines neighborhood of Revere. The southern end of town is dominated by Rumney Marsh, which lies along the Pines River, a tributary of the Saugus River. The Saugus River flows through town, and is fed by several brooks. There are several ponds within town, including parts of Birch Pond, Hawkes Pond and Walden Pond. Part of the Lynn Woods Reservation, and most of the Breakheart Reservation and Rumney Marsh Reservation lie within town.
Saugus is divided into several neighborhood villages, including Saugus Center, East Saugus, North Saugus, Pleasant Hills, Lynnhurst, Oaklandvale, Hammersmith Village, Golden Hills, Blacksmith Village, Bristow and Cliftondale. Of these, the majority of the town's population resides in Lynnhurst, Pleasant Hills, Cliftondale, East Saugus and Saugus Center; Oaklandvale and North Saugus are much less densely populated. The town lies at the southern end of Essex County (though it is not the southernmost town in the county; Nahant extends just south of the town). The town is bordered by Lynnfield to the north, Lynn to the east, Revere (in Suffolk County) to the south, and Melrose and Wakefield to the west, in Middlesex County. The town also shares a common point with the city of Malden, where it also meets Melrose and Revere. Saugus lies 8 miles (13 km) southwest of Salem, 9 miles (14 km) northeast of Boston, 24 miles (39 km) southwest of Cape Ann and 20 miles (32 km) south of the New Hampshire state line.
U.S. Route 1 passes through town along a divided highway, with five exit ramps throughout town. This stretch of Route 1, though not a full controlled access highway (it is lined with a major shopping district, including the Square One Mall), is a major commuter route out of Boston, heading towards the interchange of Interstate 95 and Massachusetts Route 128 in Lynnfield. Route 1 through Saugus was once known for its abundance of kitschy roadside commercial architecture, including the 68-foot neon cactus of the Hilltop Steakhouse, though since the 2000s some of these landmarks have been demolished or fallen into disrepair. The route is also shared by a 3/4-mile long concurrency with Route 129, which passes through North Saugus before joining Route 1 to head northward into Lynnfield. Route 99 terminates at Route 1 as well, in the southern end of town. Route 107 passes through the town as the Salem Turnpike through the Rumney Marsh, crossing the Saugus River into Lynn over the Fox Hill Bridge.
The Newburyport/Rockport Line of the MBTA Commuter Rail passes through the southeast corner of town, between two stations in Lynn (at the GE plant and at Central Square) and one in nearby Chelsea. The Blue Line of the MBTA's subway line terminates in Revere; there has been talk of extending the subway into Lynn. Saugus is also served by several MBTA bus, linking the town with nearby train lines. The nearest airport is Boston's Logan International Airport.
|* = population estimate. |
Source: United States Census records and Population Estimates Program data.
As of the census of 2010, there were 26,628 people, 10,318 households, and 7,144 families residing in the town. The population density was 2,373.7 people per square mile (916.5/km²). The racial makeup of the town was 91.9% White, 4.0% Hispanic or Latino, 2.7% Asian, 2.1% Black or African American, 0.1% Native American, 0.0% Pacific Islander, 1.6% from other races, and 1.6% from two or more races.
There were 10,318 households out of which 17.1% had children under the age of 18 living with them, 53.0% were married couples living together, 11.5% had a female householder with no husband present, 4.7% had a male householder with no wife present, and 30.8% were non-families. The average household size was 2.55 and the average family size was 3.09.
In the town, the population was spread out with 4.5% under the age of 5, 5.2% from 5 to 9, 5.7% from 10 to 14, 5.9% from 15 to 19, 5.6% from 20 to 24, 5.6% from 25 to 29, 5.5% from 30 to 34, 6.4% from 35 to 39, 7.3% from 40 to 44, 8.1% from 45 to 49, 8.4% from 50 to 54, 7.5% from 55 to 59, 6.9% from 60 to 64, 4.9% from 65 to 69, 3.8% from 70 to 74, 3.6% from 75 to 79, 2.9% from 80 to 84, and 2.3% who were 85 years of age or older. The median age was 43.9 years.
The median income for a household in the town was $85,301, and the median income for a family was $95,782. Males had a median income of $53,219 versus $42,783 for females. The per capita income for the town was $25,524. About 3.1% of families and 4.2% of the population were below the poverty line, including 4.5% of those under age 18 and 7.2% of those age 65 or over.
Since 1947 Saugus has had a Plan E form of government, which is a combination of representative town meeting and Town Manager. Saugus was the first town in Massachusetts to accept this form of government. This plan included a Single transferable vote voting system, but this was abandoned in 1950.
Elections for all seats on the Board of Selectmen, School Committee, Town Meeting, and Housing Authority are held biennially in odd-numbered years.
The Town Manager serves as the chief administrative manager and chief fiscal officer of Saugus, Massachusetts. He or she is appointed by the Board of Selectmen.
Saugus representative town meeting consists of 50 members; five for each of the town's ten precincts. The annual town meeting is held on the first Monday in May. At the first town meeting after each election of town meeting members, a moderator of all town meetings shall be elected by the body. The moderator must be a town meeting member.
The Town of Saugus is protected by the 52 paid, professional firefighters of the Town of Saugus Fire Department (SFD). The Saugus Fire Department currently operates out of 2 firehouses, running 2 engine companies and 1 ladder company with Engine 1 near Cliftondale Square. And Engine 3 and Ladder 1 near Saugus center (Monument Square). SFD is commanded by Chief Michael Newbury, a Deputy chief and a "group" Captain per shift.
Saugus Community Television or SCTV is a Public-access television station that provides local television programing to the community.
SCTV broadcasts to Saugus Comcast cable subscribers on channel 8 (public-access), channel 9 (government), and channel 22 (educational).
|archive-date=(help). Retrieved 3 December 2011.
Arthur F. Spinney Jr. (born November 8, 1927 in Saugus, Massachusetts, died May 27, 1994 in Lynn, Massachusetts ) was a guard who played nine seasons with the Baltimore Colts in the National Football League. Spinney attended Boston College. He missed the 1951 and 1952 NFL seasons due to military service.
After his career he served as an offensive line coach for Boston College and the Boston Patriots under Mike Holovak and was also a public relations official. For a brief time, Spinney worked for the American Biltrite Rubber Company of Cambridge, Massachusetts, as a consultant to its Sports Surfaces Division. In 1972, along with Lawrence J. Warnalis of Medford, Massachusetts, Spinney was awarded U.S. Patent number 3661687 which recognized Biltrite's artificial grass product Poly-Turf as well as its associated layers of product, applied on top of asphalt, as the proper way to construct a football or soccer field with artificial turf. This provided maximum comfort and safety to the players.Art Statuto
Arthur John Statuto (July 17, 1925 – March 2, 2011) was an American football center who played for the Los Angeles Rams of the National Football League and the Buffalo Bills of the All-America Football Conference.Boardman House (Saugus, Massachusetts)
The Boardman House, also known as the Scotch-Boardman House or the Bennett-Boardman House, is a historic house located at 17 Howard Street, Saugus, Massachusetts. Built about 1692, it was designated a National Historic Landmark in 1961 because of the remarkable amount of original building material still present in the house. It has been owned by Historic New England since 1914, and is open to the public on select weekends between June and October.Derek Falvey
Derek Falvey (born March 19, 1983) is an American baseball executive who is currently the Executive Vice President and Chief Baseball Officer for the Minnesota Twins of Major League Baseball (MLB). Prior to joining the Twins, Falvey was an executive for the Cleveland Indians.Donald Wong
Donald H. Wong (born January 15, 1952) is an American businessman and state legislator serving in the Massachusetts House of Representatives. He represents the Ninth Essex District, consisting of parts of Lynn, Lynnfield, Wakefield and Saugus. He is also the President of Mandarin House, Inc., which manages the Kowloon Restaurant. Wong is a third-generation Chinese American.Wong served as a member of Saugus Town Meeting from 2005 to 2007 and as Chairman of the Saugus Board of Selectmen from 2007 to 2011. He has also been a member of the Massachusetts Asian American Commission.On November 2, 2010, Wong defeated Democratic incumbent Mark Falzone by 382 votes. He and 2nd Norfolk District Representative Tackey Chan were the first Asian-Americans elected to the Massachusetts Legislature. Wong is a member of the House Ways and Means Committee, a ranking member of the Joint Committee on Transportation, and a member of the House Committee on Personnel and Administration. He was reelected unopposed in 2012, defeated Democrat Christopher Finn in 2014, 60.5% to 39.4%, and defeated Democrat Jennifer Migliore in 2016 54.5% to 44.7%.Edward J. Collins Jr.
Edward J. Collins Jr. was an American government official for the state of Massachusetts, the town of Saugus and the city of Boston. He is the namesake of the Edward J. Collins Jr. Center for Public Management at the University of Massachusetts Boston.Franklin Park (race track)
Franklin Park also known as the Franklin Trotting Park, Franklin Driving Park, Old Saugus Race Course, and the Old Saugus Race Track was an American Harness racing track located in Saugus, Massachusetts.Gustavus Fox
Gustavus Vasa Fox (June 13, 1821 – October 29, 1883) was an officer of the United States Navy, who served during the Mexican–American War, and as Assistant Secretary of the Navy during the Civil War.Lynn Fells Parkway
Lynn Fells Parkway is a parkway in Greater Boston, Massachusetts, in the United States. It is maintained by the Massachusetts Department of Conservation and Recreation. The road runs from the end of Fellsway East in Stoneham, eastward through Melrose, and ends in Saugus at US Route 1. The parkway serves as a connector between the Middlesex Fells Reservation and Breakheart Reservation.Paul G. Hewitt
Paul G. Hewitt (born March 22, 1931) is an American physicist, former boxer, uranium prospector, author, and cartoonist. Born in Saugus, Massachusetts, Hewitt lives in St. Petersburg, Florida with his wife.Prankers Pond
Prankers Pond (also Lily Pond or Pranker Pond) is one of the largest lakes in Saugus, Massachusetts, United States. It is the center of a recreational area that also includes hiking and picnicking areas. The pond lies east of U.S. Route 1 and southwest of Birch Pond. Named for Edward Pranker, the owner of the Pranker Mills, who built the dam that created the pond, it lies at 42.4745403°N 71.0125512°W / 42.4745403; -71.0125512, at an altitude of 26 feet (8 m).Rumney Marsh Reservation
Rumney Marsh Reservation is a Massachusetts state park occupying over 600 acres (240 ha) in the town of Saugus and city of Revere. The salt marsh is located within the Saugus and Pines River estuary and provides habitat for many different migratory birds and marine life. The park is managed by the Massachusetts Department of Conservation and Recreation.Saugus (YTB-780)
Saugus (YTB-780) was a United States Navy Natick-class large harbor tug. Named for Saugus, Massachusetts, she was the third U.S. Naval vessel to bear the name.Saugus Advertiser
The Saugus Advertiser is the oldest newspaper covering the town of Saugus, Massachusetts still in print. It is the newspaper of record in Saugus as it is currently the only place Saugus legal notices are printed.Saugus Field
Saugus Field also known as Atwood Park was an early American airfield located in Saugus, Massachusetts. It was used by pioneer aviators Harry Atwood, Ruth Bancroft Law, and Lincoln J. Beachey.Saugus High School (Massachusetts)
Saugus High School is an American public secondary school located in Saugus, Massachusetts.Saugus River
The Saugus River is a river in Massachusetts.
The river is 13 miles (21 km) long, drains a watershed of approximately 47 square miles (120 km2), and passes through Wakefield, Lynnfield, Saugus, and Lynn as it meanders east and south from its source in Lake Quannapowitt in Wakefield (elevation 90 feet) to its mouth in Broad Sound. It has at least eight tributaries: the Mill River; Bennets Pond Brook; the Pines River; Hawkes Brook; Crystal Pond Brook; Beaver Dam Brook; Strawberry Brook; and Shute Brook.
Although Native Americans called the river Aboutsett ("winding stream"), European settlers first called it the River at Saugus, where Saugus (possibly a native word for "long") arguably named the beach running from Swampscott to Revere (there are competing theories as to the origin of the word "Saugus"). In early European times, alewives and bass were harvested from 1632 onwards. The Saugus Iron Works used water power from the river in by 1642, and the river subsequently attracted grist mills, chocolate mills, wool and flannel mills, and a tannery.Square One Mall
Square One Mall (formerly the New England Shopping Center) is a 125 store shopping mall located along US Route 1 (Broadway) between Main Street and Essex Street in Saugus, Massachusetts. Anchor stores include Sears, Macy's, Dick's Sporting Goods, Best Buy, T.J. Maxx, and BD's Furniture.
The mall was a $100 million project undertaken by New England Development Corporation to redevelop the former New England Shopping Center which consisted of Sears, Service Merchandise and the former General Cinemas which had closed in the mid-1980s. The construction of the mall was unique since it incorporated the previously built structure of Sears, signs of this being the difference in building materials between Sears and the rest of the mall. The mall opened for business on August 17, 1994.The mall is credited with bringing sprawl and strip development to Saugus, especially along the Route 1 corridor. Route 1 through the area is a 6 lane highway (3 lanes in each direction) with a speed limit of 50 mph (80 km/h).
Filene's Basement, one of the malls former anchors, filed for bankruptcy protection on May 4, 2009. New York’s Crown Acquisitions, made a bid to buy Filene's Basement including their famous Downtown Crossing location which closed in 2007. All Filene's Basement stores closed in December 2011.
In 2015, Sears Holdings spun off 235 of its properties, including the Sears at Square One Mall, into Seritage Growth Properties. Sears downsized its store to the lower level in 2017 and part of the auto center is expected to become LongHorn Steakhouse and Xfinity in 2019. The upper level of Sears is now vacant.Town Manager of Saugus, Massachusetts
The Town Manager of Saugus, Massachusetts, is the chief administrative manager of Saugus, Massachusetts. Saugus has a Town Manager/Representative town meeting (Plan E) system of government. The Town Manager’s Office is located in Saugus Town Hall. Scott Crabtree has been town manager since March 30, 2015 and previously held the position from 2012 to 2014.
Saugus has had more instability with the Manager's position compared to other towns. This high rate of turnover has been used by some opponents of the Town Manager form of government as an example of why their community should not adopt it.
Municipalities and communities of Essex County, Massachusetts, United States
|Cities and towns|
|Cities and towns|
|Cities and towns|