Named after Lord Sandhurst, the Governor of Bombay between 1895 and 1900, the station was built in 1910 using funds from the Bombay City Improvement Trust, which he helped raise. The Sandhurst Road railway station (upper level servicing the Harbour Line) was built in 1921. The supporting pillars of the edifice bear the inscription "GIPR 1921 Lutha Iron Works, Glasgow". The fabricated metal was imported from the United Kingdom.
In January 2017, Lokmat reported that Central Railways planned to demolish the station in order to construct the fifth and sixth railways lines between CST and Kurla. CR plans to construct a new Sandhurst Road station on P D'Mello Road.
|Mumbai Suburban Railway station|
|Owned by||Ministry of Railways, Indian Railways|
|Line(s)||Central Line, Harbour Line|
|Platforms||4 (2 Ground Main Line + 2 Elevated Harbour Line)|
|Structure type||At Grade and Elevated|
|Platform levels||Ground + Elevated|
|Fare zone||Central Railways|
Location within Mumbai