San Fabian, officially the Municipality of San Fabian, (Pangasinan: Baley na San Fabian; Ilokano: Ili ti San Fabian; Tagalog: Bayan ng San Fabian), is a 1st class municipality in the province of Pangasinan, Philippines. According to the 2015 census, it has a population of 83,025 people.
It has a land area of 8,129 hectares.
|Municipality of San Fabian|
Map of Pangasinan with San Fabian highlighted
|Region||Ilocos Region (Region I)|
|District||4th district of Pangasinan|
|Founded||March 21, 1717|
|Barangays||34 (see Barangays)|
|• Type||Sangguniang Bayan|
|• Mayor||Constante Batrina Agbayani|
|• Vice Mayor||Leopoldo Manalo|
|• Electorate||46,269 voters (2016)|
|• Total||81.28 km2 (31.38 sq mi)|
|• Density||1,000/km2 (2,600/sq mi)|
|Time zone||UTC+8 (PST)|
|IDD : area code||+63 (0)75|
|Climate type||tropical monsoon climate|
|Income class||1st municipal income class|
|Revenue (₱)||160.5 million (2016)|
|Poverty incidence||11.65 (2012)|
The town used to be called Angio, and had been a mission territory of friars of the Dominican Order during the Spanish era. It is named after Saint Fabian who was a pontiff and saint of the Roman Catholic Church.
Around 1818, San Fabian had a boundary dispute with Mangaldan. The boundary between the two towns was the Angalacan river, which sometimes overflows because of floods. The boundary dispute was settled in 1900, when the mayor of San Fabian agreed to meet the mayor of Mangaldan and the two reached an agreement with a boundary marker being erected at Longos between the towns of San Fabian and Mangaldan. The agreement was signed by Juan Ulanday, Nicolas Rosa, Vicente Padilla, Marcelo Erfe, and approved by the American Commander Capt. Ferguson.
During the Philippine–American War, hundreds of Pangasinense soldiers and soldiers of the Philippine government died in San Fabian battling the Americans. After the pacification of Pangasinan by the United States, the first town President of San Fabian was Ińigo Dispo. In 1903, the town of Alava became a part of San Fabian and became a mere village or barrio.
During World War II, the liberation of US Naval and Marine forces in Pangasinan started when troops under Gen. Walter Krueger landed on Lingayen, Mangaldan and San Fabian beaches. San Fabian landing zones were called White and Blue beaches, names which continue until the present time.
On October 13, 2012, the Kapisanan ng mga Brodkaster ng Pilipinas (KBP)-Pangasinan Chapter initiated a tree-planting activity, “broadcastreeing” which covered 10 barangays (Alacan, Cayanga, Guilig, Longos, Mabilao, Poblacion, Rabon, Tempra, Tiblong and Tocok). The Department of Labor and Employment (DOLE-1) released P495,000 as livelihood assistance to 30 farmers of the San Fabian Dairy Association.
The present mayor of San Fabian is Mayor Constante Batrina Agbayani.
Prominent members of San Fabian were Chief Justice Andres Narvasa, former Mayor and Senior Board Member of Pangasinan Atty. Conrado Pinlac Gubatan, Dr. Gregorio Tercero De Guzman, Atty. Perfecto V. Fernandez. Current Vice Mayor is Marinor B. De Guzman.
|Mayor:||Constante B. Agbayani|
|Vice Mayor:||Marinor B. De Guzman|
|Liga ng mga Barangay President:||Hercules P. Magliba (Nibaliw Magliba)|
|SK Federation President:||Mary Ruth Victoria H. Agbayani (Mabilao)|
|4||Tempra-Guilig||3,886||16||Nibaliw East||2,464||28||Inmalog Norte||1,469|
|5||Poblacion||4,002||17||Nibaliw Narvarte (Nibaliw West Compound)||2,422||29||Tiblong||1,136|
|6||Nibaliw Vidal (Nibaliw West Proper)||3,405||18||Binday||2,254||30||Bolaoen||1,159|
|8||Angio||3,227||20||Longos Proper||2,233||32||Nibaliw Central||979|
|11||Mabilao||2,713||23||Ambalangan-Dalin||2,190||San Fabian Total||83,025|
|Population census of San Fabian|
|Source: Philippine Statistics Authority|
The 1768 Parish of Saint Fabian, Pope and Martyr Church (Vicariate of Sto. Tomas de Aquino has Catholic population of 47,679, under Parish Priest, Rev. Oliver E. Mendoza. It belongs to the Roman Catholic Archdiocese of Lingayen-Dagupan.
Coastal San Fabián in northern Pangasinán is bounded by the Añgalacán River, Cayañga with neighbors Santo Tomás (La Unión), Sison, Pozorrubio, San Jacinto, Mañgaldán, all of Pangasinan and the Lingayen Gulf. San Fabián was barangay Anguio ("anguio" means "a tree of most bitter fruit").
The January 9, 1716 Petition of the Provincial of the Dominican Fathers to the Royal government for the fouSan Fabián "to stave off the assaults of the pagan Igorots." was granted on March 21, 1717 by acting Governor General José Torralba and Governor, Fernando Bustamante on August. In 1718, San Fabián became a vicariate (or parish) under Fr. Andrés Caballero (1718-1720) succeeded by Vicar, Fr. Manuel del Río (1720-1721, 1729-1732), Provincial of the Dominican Order and later, Nueva Segovia Bishop.
After the British invasion (1762-1765), Fr. Valentín Marín, O.P. described the new San Fabian Church: "The church, all of brick, including the main altar was built by Fray Francisco Ferrer, a Dominican lay brother, who was an excellent carpenter, after the British invasion. The convent and belfry were also of brick." Fr. Raymundo Suárez, O.P. stated that "the construction of the imposing bell tower of the church in Lingayén". Fr. Manuel Mora, OP Secretary of the Provincial in 1804, reported on that the convent had a brick building for Bishop Bernardo Ustáriz which served as "casa de comunidad".
Fr. Suárez stated the reason of the 1856 burning of the church and the convent: "For this the sacristan was held responsible because, having gone up to the tower to ring the bell for the curfew at 10 o'clock in the evening, he carelessly threw the cigarette-end on the nipa roofing which, as a result, caught fire at once." The church walls were built with those colonial architecture. Fr. Juan Gutiérrez (1859-1862) rebuilt the church and the sanctuary (1857 and 1860) in cruciform (59.85 meters long and 11.40 meters wide; at the cruciform, 20 meters).
In 1863, Mañgaldán parish priest, Fr. Ramón Fernández (1863-1866) repaired the convent was repaired. The massive earthquake of March 16, 1892 damaged on the church and convent which was later rehabilitated. The mortar and stone tribunal (Municipal building) constructed in 1822 was also destroyed. In 1830, Fr. Domingo de la Peña (who built the cemetery fenced with solid brick walls (1802 to 1835), served as San Fabián Kura Paroko.
The November 16, 1899 issue of Libertas told tales of San Fabian education and schools. The Kura Paroko of San Fabián (1718 to 1898) were: *1718, Fr. Andrés Caballero; 1720, Fr. Manuel del Río; 1722, Fr. Juan Salinas; 1723, Fr. Antonio Labarria; 1729-1731, Fr. Manuel del Río; 1733, Fr. Andrés Caballero; 1735-1737, Fr. Tomás Albendea; 1739, Fr. Luís Delfín; 1741-1743, Fr. Benito Pereira; 1745, Fr. Manuel Arango; 1747, Fr. Cayetano Meneses; 1749, Fr. Pedro Fontanes; 1751-1753, Fr. Juan González; 1755, Fr. Luís Delfín; 1757, Fr. José Jubero; 1759, Fr. Antonio del Riego; 1763, Fr. Domingo Boada; 1765, Fr. Juan Vega; 1769, Fr. Domingo Boada; 1781, Fr. Francisco García; 1785, Fr. Juan Sanchez; 1789-1790, Fr. Gabriel de la Riva; 1794, Fr. Pedro Lanza; 1798, Fr. Blas Diez; 1802-1833, Fr. Domingo de la Peña; 1835; 1837, 1841-1845, Fr. Nicolas Fuentes, Fr. Manuel Manzano (assistant); 1849-1855, Fr. Francisco Maestre; 1859, Fr. Juan Gutiérrez; 1863, Fr. Ramón Fernández, Fr. Bonifacio Cavero (assistant); 1867, Fr. Lucio Asencio; 1871-1874, Fr. Gregorio Paz; 1878-1886, Fr. Juan Fernández; 1890-1894, Fr. Juan Terrés. (Source: Acta Capitulorum Provincialium, Provinciae Sanctissimi Rosarii Philippinarum, Ordinis Praedicatorum).
The Hispano-American war of 1898 caused 2,200 pesos damage to San Fabián church and the convent . The last Spanish parish priest of San Fabián was Fr. Juan Terrés (1890-1898). Aglipayanism of Gregorio Aglipay attracted many followers in Pangasinán.
San Fabián Filipino Parish Priests were: Fr. Domingo de Vera (1899 to 1920); Fr. Agripino Bañez (1920-1926); Fr. Alejandro Ignacio (1926-1927) and Fr. Benigno Jiménez (1927-1935); Msgr. Licerio Barnachea (1935-1937); Fr. José Valerio (1937-1939), Msgr. Barnachea (the Apostleship of Prayer) and Fr. Juan Bello (1939-1940). In 1940, Fr. Miguel Busque was Parish Priest. In January 1945 the church, the convent and bell tower were destroyed, under the term of Fr. Resurreción Parica and Fr. Busque.
From 1955, Engr. Santiago Alhambra, parish lay ministrer and Fr. Francisco Posadas (1944-1952) and Fr. Emeterio Domagas repaired the church and portion of the convent using the War Damage Rehabilitation Funds. San Fabián was Diocesan host of Feast of Christ the King solemnities in 1951 with the Legion of Mary organized.
Fr. Domingo Montano (1952-1955) was assisted by Fr. José Velasco, founding the Adoracion Nocturna Filipina. Fr. Francisco Gago (1955-1968) added the church tower amid the Cursillo Movement with assistance of Fr. Eugenio de Vera succeeded by Fr. Rufino López who found the Catholic Women's League, the Knights of Columbus and the Holy Name Society.
In 1962, Fr. Rufino López, (1968-1970) built the Archdiocesan School of San Fabián. Under Msgr. Oscar Aquino and first Director and Mr. Floro Torres, first principal's terms, the partial renovation of the front part of the convent was initiated by Fr. Gago, succeeded by Fr. Peter Aquino. Msgr. Antonio Palma in 1970 improved the church altar. Fr. Benigno Serafica, assisted by Fr. José Tapia, in 1972 were succeeded by Msgr. Oscar Aquino from 1974 to 1977 with assistants were Msgr. Emilio Abalos and Fr. Pedro Quirós, founding the Bayanihan Movement.
From 1977 to 1981, Msgr. Pedro Sison improved on the church with the Mt. Carmel Chapel and bone repository. Fr. Abraham Esquig (1981-1987) founded the Shalom Movement and added the canopy on the church façade. In 1987, Msgr. Rafael Magno built the parish center amid the Christ the King Vicariate celebration in 1996, the San Fabian Couples for Christ and the Mother Butler's Guild founding. Msgr. Segundo Gotoc was a guest priest. Fr. Oliver Mendoza succeeded in 2003 and restored the bell tower.
(Sources: González, J. Ma. O.P., Labor Evangélica y Civilizadora de los Padres Dominicos en Pangasinán (1587-1898), University of Santo Tomás Press, Manila: 1946, pp. 80–81; Acta Capitulorum Provincialium Provinciae Sanctissimi Rosarii Philippinarum Ordinis Praedicatorum Ab anno 1700 ad 1906. (3 volumes); Typis Collegii Sancti Thomae, Manilae: 1878-1906 (respectively); Fernández, P., O.P., "The Dominican Towns In Pangasinán," in the Boletín Eclesiástico de Filipinas, May–June 1985, pp. 199–203).
Socrates B. Villegas started in January 2012, construction of the Theology Seminary in Palapad (San Fabian). Pro Ecclesia et Pontifice awardee, Architect Susana Castillo designed the future seminary for 80 seminarians.
Alacan station is a defunct station of the Philippine National Railways Northrail in Brgy. Alacan, San Fabian, Pangasinan.Balungao
Balungao, officially the Municipality of Balungao, (Pangasinan: Baley na Balungao; Ilokano: Ili ti Balungao; Tagalog: Bayan ng Balungao), is a 4th class municipality in the province of Pangasinan, Philippines. According to the 2015 census, it has a population of 31,106 people.The town is located in the south-eastern part of the province bordering the province of Nueva Ecija to the south. Balungao is partially urban community with an area of 7,325 hectares (18,100 acres).Bonuan Gueset
Bonuan Gueset is the most populated barangay in Dagupan City, The Philippines. It accounted for about 13.6% of the Dagupan City's population. It is also one of the Barangays of which the famous Bonuan Boneless Bangus is homed.Campaigns of the Philippine–American War
During the Philippine–American War between 1899 and 1902, the United States Army conducted nine military campaigns. Two additional campaigns were conducted after the official end to the war on July 4, 1902 in connection with the Moro rebellion, which continued until 1913. Some other significant actions occurred outside of organized campaigns, both during the war itself and in the post-war period.Ermin Garcia
Ermin E. Garcia Sr (1921 in San Fabian – May 20, 1966 in Dagupan) was a Filipino journalist and newspaper publisher. A street in Brgy. E. Rodriguez, Quezon City was named after him.Five Star Bus Company
Pangasinan Five Star Bus Company, Incorporated, or simply known as Five Star, is one of the largest bus companies in the Philippines. It serves routes mainly to the provinces of Pangasinan, Nueva Ecija, Tarlac, Nueva Vizcaya, Quirino, Isabela and Cagayan Since it took management of at least three bus companies which includes Bataan Transit, First North Luzon Transit and the 2010 Luzon Cisco Transport, Five Star has been one of the most successful bus companies in the Philippines.
The Five Star Bus Company has been a successful bus company and together with its sister companies: Bataan Transit, Victory Liner, First North Luzon Transit, Luzon Cisco Transport, Bicol Isarog Transport System and Peñafrancia Tours and Travel Transport serve destinations through Luzon.Lingayen Gulf
The Lingayen Gulf is a large gulf on northwestern Luzon in the Philippines, stretching 56 km (35 mi). It is framed by the provinces of Pangasinan and La Union and sits between the Zambales Mountains and the Cordillera Central. The Agno River drains into Lingayen Gulf.List of Catholic seminaries
This is a list of Catholic seminaries in the world, including those that have been closed. By the 2012 Pontifical Yearbook, the total number of candidates for the priesthood of the world is 118,990 at the end of the year 2010. These students are in 6,974 seminaries around the world; 3,194 diocesan seminaries and 3,780 religious seminaries.List of Philippine National Railways stations
Philippine National Railways used to provide passenger services in two directions from the capital, thus serving various towns and cities north and south of Manila. This list contains stations of both Northrail and Southrail, and the various spur lines from both Northrail and Southrail, as well as stations within Metro Manila. The Northrail is also known as the Green Line, while the Southrail is also known as the Orange Line. Former termini or terminal stations are in bold and former or defunct stations are in italic.List of canonically crowned images
The following list enumerates the various Marian, Josephian, and Christological images venerated in the Roman Catholic Church, by which a Pope has officially issued a Papal bull of canonical coronation either by the Pontiff, a Papal legate or a Papal nuncio.
The very first Marian image crowned without a direct papal approval was by Cardinal Francesco Sforza Pallavicino with La Madonna della Oropa on 30 August 1620. The first Marian image Pontifically crowned was the painted image of La Madonna della Febbre (Madonna of Fever) on 27 May 1631 by Pope Urban VIII through the Vatican Chapter located at the Sacristy of Saint Peter's Basilica.
The solemn prescription of ritual to crowning images is embedded in Ordo Coronandi Imaginem Beatae Mariae Virginis published by the Holy Office on 25 May 1981. Prior to 1989, papal bulls concerning the authorization of canonical coronations were handwritten on parchment. After 1989, the Congregation for Divine Worship and the Discipline of the Sacraments began issuing the specific recognition to crown a religious image, spelling out its approved devotional title and authorizing Papal legate. Several venerated images of the Child Jesus and Saint Joseph have also been granted a Pontifical coronation.Luzon Cisco Transport
Luzon Cisco Transport, Incorporated or simply known as Cisco Bus is a provincial bus company in the Philippines by the Hernandez Clan, and had service to Nueva Ecija, Pangasinan and ZambalesMabilao, Pangasinan
Barangay Captain: Constante Agbayani
Languages: Pangasinense, Ilokano, Tagalog and English
Mabilao is one of the 34 barangays of the first class municipality of San Fabian, in the Province of Pangasinan, Philippines. It was once one of the largest barangays of San Fabian until its division in the 1990s forming the new barangay of Alacan.
It is a coastal barangay where the main source of income of the residents is primarily fishing and farming. Tourism also had an influence on its residential human index through private resorts and cottages during the summer.
It is home of Mabilao Elementary School, Mabilao National High School and the Happy Ripples Beach Resort.
The barangay is governed by a Barangay Captain with six barangay Councillors and appointed Secretary, Treasurer and Tanods.Mary Help of Christians
Mary Help of Christians (Latin: Sancta Maria Auxilium Christianorum; Spanish: Nuestra Señora María Auxiliadora de los Cristianos; Filipino: Maria, Mapag-ampon sa mga Kristiyano), is a Roman Catholic Marian devotion with a feast day celebrated on May 24.
Saint John Chrysostom was the first person to use this Marian title in year 345 as a devotion to the Virgin Mary. Don Bosco also propagated Marian devotion under this title. The title of Mary Help of Christians is associated with the defense of Christian Europe (Latin and Greek), the north of Africa and the Middle East from non-Christian peoples during the Middle Ages.
In 1572, during the expansion of the Islamic Ottoman Empire intended to invade Christian Europe, Pope Pius V invoked Christian armies and its victory achieved was consequently attributed to the intercession of Mary under this title. Ultimately, Pope Leo XIII granted a canonical coronation towards the Marian image bearing the same title on 17 May 1903, now permanently enshrined within the Basilica of Mary Help of Christians.Perfecto V. Fernandez
Perfecto V. Fernandez, popularly known as Pecto, or Atty. Fernandez is a Filipino lawyer, professor and writer.
Perfecto V. Fernandez was born on May 31, 1931 in San Fabian, Pangasinan and obtained his law degree in 1957. Thereafter he took the bar, and was the 10th placer in the 1958 bar exams. He was married to the former Albina Peczon in 1959.
He was a law professor, a writer of law books, bar reviewer and lecturer and political commentator in the Philippines. Fernandez was an authority on constitutional law and labor law, being part of the Philippine jurisprudence project (UP Law Center) and wrote a number of papers on labor law, constitutional law and libel Law. He was the former chief legal counsel of the University of the Philippines, a bar reviewer in UST, UE, FEU and UM.Philippine National Railways
The Philippine National Railways (PNR) (Filipino: Pambansang Daambakal ng Pilipinas) is a state-owned railway company in the Philippines, operating a single line of track on Luzon. As of 2016, it operates one commuter rail service in Metro Manila and local services between Sipocot, Naga City and Legazpi City in the Bicol Region. PNR began operations on November 24, 1892 as the Ferrocarril de Manila-Dagupan, during the Spanish colonial period, and later becoming the Manila Railroad Company (MRR) during the American colonial period. It became the Philippine National Railways on June 20, 1964 by virtue of Republic Act No. 4156. The PNR is an agency of the Department of Transportation.
PNR used to operate over 1,100 km (684 mi) of route from La Union to the Bicol Region. However, neglect reduced PNR's service. Persistent problems with informal settlers in the 1990s contributed further to PNR's decline. In 2006, Typhoons Milenyo and Reming caused severe damage to the network, resulting in the suspension of the Manila-Bicol services. In 2007 the Philippine government initiated a rehabilitation project aiming to remove informal settlers from the PNR right of way, revitalize commuter services in Metro Manila, and restore the Manila-Bicol route as well as lost services in Northern Luzon. In July 2009, PNR unveiled a new corporate identity and inaugurated new rolling stock. Long-distance Bicol services resumed in June 2011, but were suspended again in October 2012, leaving only local service between Naga and Sipocot. Local service between Naga and Legazpi resumed in October 2015.Pilipinas Got Talent (season 5)
The fifth season of Pilipinas Got Talent is a talent show on ABS-CBN. The show premiered on January 23, 2016, replacing the temporary weekend block Kapamilya Weekend Specials, which temporarily filled the timeslot of second season of Your Face Sounds Familiar after it ended on December 13, 2015. It was originally aired at 9:30 PM, however, after Dance Kids ended, it was moved to an earlier timeslot of 7:30 PM to give way for I Love OPM.
The season ended on May 22, 2016 with interpretative dance duo Power Duo winning the season — the first season not won by a singing act.Public holidays in the Philippines
This is a list of public holidays in the Philippines.Telephone numbers in the Philippines
Telephone numbers in the Philippines follow an open telephone numbering plan and an open dial plan. Both plans are regulated by the National Telecommunications Commission, an attached agency under the Department of Information and Communications Technology (DICT).
The Philippines is assigned an international dialling code of 63 by ITU-T. Telephone numbers are fixed at seven digits, with area codes fixed at one, two, or three digits (a six-digit system was used until the mid-1990s; four to five digits were used in the countryside). Mobile phone numbers are always 10 digits (three digits for the service provider, plus a seven-digit number).
When making long-distance calls in the Philippines, the prefix 0 for domestic calls and 00 for international calls are used.USS Paragua (1888)
USS Paragua was a schooner-rigged iron gunboat in the United States Navy during the Philippine–American War. Paragua was one of four Arayat class gunboats built by the Manila Ship Co. for the Spanish navy in 1887–88. Her sister ships were the USS Samar (PG-41), USS Pampanga (PG-39) and USS Arayat.
Arayat, Samar, Pampanga and Paragua all were 243 tons. Samar was the first completed in 1887 and was 116 ft, while the other three, built at the same time in 1887–88, were 121 ft long. They were a scaled down design based on the larger El Cano at 620 tons and 166 ft that had been built in Spain. The primary design criterion was a shallower draft, seven feet or less, and length, in order to better adapt to the shallow reefs and rivers of the Philippines. For their small size, the boats were quite fast, maneuverable, and heavily armed.
Paragua was laid down for the Spanish Navy by the Manila Ship Company, Cavite, Philippine Islands, in March 1887 and launched in January 1888. She was named for the island of Palawan, known as Paragua prior to 1905. When the Spanish–American War broke out in April 1898, Paragua was part of the Spanish Pacific Fleet based at Manila, Philippines Paragua was one of ten gunboats put up for sale in early 1899 by the Spanish navy at its former base on the southern island of Basilan following the signing of the Treaty of Paris that ended the Spanish–American War. The gunboats were purchased by a syndicate of private individuals put together by General Elwell Otis, the U.S. Army commander, in order to prevent their being acquired by the Philippine Revolutionary government. The Army bought the ships from the syndicate and then sold them to the U.S. Navy in early May 1899. Paragua was commissioned on 29 May 1899, Ensign W.C. Davidson, commanding.
|Climate data for San Fabian, Pangasinan|
|Average high °C (°F)||31
|Average low °C (°F)||21
|Average precipitation mm (inches)||4.3
|Average rainy days||3||2||3||5||14||17||22||23||21||13||7||4||134|
|Source: World Weather Online|
Places adjacent to San Fabian, Pangasinan
Articles Related to San Fabian, Pangasinan