The seminary land was founded in 1946 when the Diocese of Honolulu obtained the 22 acre (89,000 m²) estate of Harold K.L. Castle, which was built in 1927. It is located above Maunawili valley in the Koolaupoko district of the island of Oahu. It currently serves as the residence of the bishop of Honolulu. At its peak the seminary accommodated some 70 high school and college students from Guam, other Pacific Islands and the State of Hawaii.
Prior to his elevation to the episcopate as auxiliary bishop of Honolulu, Msgr. Joseph Ferrario, was a professor of Greek and Latin at Saint Stephen's. Among his many students was Roman Catholic deacon and Hawaiian comedian, Frank Delima, known for his sardonic portrayal of a fictitious Roman prelate, Monsignor Vermicelli.
This page is based on a Wikipedia article written by authors
Text is available under the CC BY-SA 3.0 license; additional terms may apply.
Images, videos and audio are available under their respective licenses.