St. Andrew's Cathedral was the main Russian Orthodox cathedral of Kronstadt. The church was built in 1805–1817 to Andreyan Zakharov's designs to replace a wooden church dating from 1718. It was dedicated to Andrew the Apostle, the patron saint of the Russian Navy.
Zakharov's elegant design proved influential. It was replicated in Izhevsk (see Alexander Nevsky Cathedral) and in Yekaterinoslav (see Transfiguration Cathedral), among other cities of Imperial Russia.
St. Andrew's Cathedral was demolished under the Soviet regime in 1932. Plans for its rebuilding have been announced.
|St. Andrew's Cathedral|
of Saint Andrew Apostle
Charles Cameron (lead architect)|
Andreyan Zakharov, A.N. Akutin
|Architectural style||Late Empire style|