Rutland County Council is a unitary authority responsible for local government in the historic county of Rutland in the East Midlands of England. The current council was created in April 1997. The population of the Council at the 2011 census was 37,369.
As a unitary authority, the council is responsible for almost all local services in Rutland, with the exception of the Leicestershire Fire and Rescue Service and Leicestershire Police, which are run by joint boards with Leicestershire County Council and Leicester City Council.
Rutland County Council
|Founded||1 April 1997[a]|
|Preceded by||Rutland District Council|
Leicestershire County Council
Chairman of the Council
Cllr Kenneth Bool, Conservative
since 1 June 2015
Leader of the Council
Cllr Oliver Hemsley, Conservative
since 5 February 2017
since October 2006
Length of term
|First past the post|
|7 May 2015|
|2 May 2019|
|Catmose House, Oakham|
The unitary is seen as a re-creation of the old Rutland County Council that was established in 1889 by the Local Government Act 1888 and ended in 1974 by the Local Government Act 1972, when Rutland was reconstituted as a district of Leicestershire. The Local Government Commission for England in 1994 recommended that Rutland District (and Leicester City) should become unitaries and leave the two-tier Leicestershire. Rutland unitary authority came into existence on 1 April 1997.
The Council consists of 26 councillors, representing sixteen electoral wards of the county. It has all-out elections on a four-year cycle and follows a district pattern, with elections held in May 2007, May 2011 and May 2015.
The ceremonial head of the Council is the Chairman, and the executive follows the leader and cabinet model.
|2015 election||2019 election|
The county is divided into electoral wards, returning one, two or three councillors. The current wards were first adopted for the 2003 local elections.
|Braunston & Belton||1||Parishes of Ayston, Belton, Braunston, Brooke, Leighfield, Preston, Ridlington, & Wardley|
|Cottesmore||2||Parishes of Barrow, Cottesmore, Market Overton & Teigh|
|Exton||1||Parishes of Ashwell, Burley, Egleton, Exton, Hambleton, Horn & Whitwell|
|Greetham||1||Parishes of Clipsham, Greetham, Pickworth, Stretton & Thistleton|
|Ketton||2||Parishes of Barrowden, Ketton, Tinwell & Tixover|
|Langham||1||Parish of Langham|
|Lyddington||1||Parishes of Bisbrooke, Caldecott, Glaston, Lyddington, Seaton, Stoke Dry & Thorpe By Water|
|Martinsthorpe||1||Parishes of Gunthorpe, Lyndon, Manton, Martinsthorpe, Morcott, Pilton & Wing|
|Normanton||2||Parishes of Edith Weston, Empingham, Normanton, North Luffenham, South Luffenham|
|Oakham North East||2||Oakham Northwest of Burley Road/Mill Street/South Street and East of the railway|
|Oakham North West||2||Oakham North of Braunston Road and West of the railway
|Oakham South East||2||Oakham Southeast of Burley Road/Mill Street/South Street and East of the railway|
|Oakham South West||2||Oakham South of Braunston Road and West of the railway|
|Ryhall & Casterton||2||Parishes of Essendine, Great Casterton, Little Casterton, Ryhall & Tickencote|
|Uppingham||3||Parishes of Uppingham & Beaumont Chase|
|Whissendine||1||Parish of Whissendine|
On 23 June 2016 Rutland voted in only the third major UK-wide referendum on the issue of the United Kingdom's membership of the European Union in the 2016 EU Referendum under the provisions of the European Union Referendum Act 2015 where voters were asked to decide on the question “Should the United Kingdom remain a member of the European Union or leave the European Union” by voting for either “Remain a member of the European Union” or “Leave the European Union”. The county produced one of the narrowest results in the country by voting to “Leave the European Union” by a majority of just 260 votes. The result went against the views of the local MP Alan Duncan who had campaigned for a "Remain" vote.
The result was declared in Oakham early on 24 June 2016 by the "Counting officer" (CO) Helen Briggs.
|United Kingdom European Union membership referendum, 2016 |
|Leave the European Union||11,613||50.57%|
|Remain a member of the European Union||11,353||49.43%|
|Invalid or blank votes||18||0.08%|
|Registered voters and turnout||29,390||78.20%|
The 2011 Rutland County Council election took place on 5 May 2011. The whole of Rutland County Council was up for election.2015 Rutland County Council election
The 2015 Rutland County Council election took place on 7 May 2015 to elect members of Rutland County Council in England. This was on the same day as other local elections.Ayston
Ayston is a village and civil parish in the county of Rutland in the East Midlands of England. It is about one mile (1.6 km) north-west of Uppingham, close to the junction of the A47 and A6003. The population of the village was less than 100 at the 2011 census and is included in the civil parish of Ridlington. The placename means Aethelstan's farm or settlement; the estate was granted to Aethelstan, a minister of Edward the Confessor, in 1046.
Ayston is part of Braunston & Belton ward which has one councillor on Rutland County Council.
The Grade II* listed St Mary the Virgin's Church came into the care of Churches Conservation Trust in April 2014.Barleythorpe
Barleythorpe is a village and civil parish in the county of Rutland in the East Midlands of England. It is located about a mile (1.6 km) north-west of Oakham. The population at the 2001 census was 178, increasing to 207 at the 2011 census.Barleythorpe Hall was a home of Lord Lonsdale until 1926. It was later an elderly person's home until 2006. It was sold to Hazelton Homes who in 2018, transformed the building into luxury apartments.
Alongside was the training and conference centre of EEF East Midlands and Mid-Anglia which was sold to Rutland County Council in 2011. The building was refurbished and let to Rutland County College and Oakham United Football Club. In August 2017 the college moved back to their main site at Great Casterton and Rutland County Council opened a serviced business centre called The King Centre, named after former Leader of Rutland County Council, Terry King, who retired in 2016. The building is now home to around 30 small businesses and a café which is open to the public.
Until January 2007, Main Street was the A606 but the village now benefits from the Oakham Bypass. New housing estates are being built in the parish as Oakham expands. Barleythorpe parish has one shop namely the supermarket Aldi.Barrowden
Barrowden is a village in Rutland in the East Midlands of England.
The population of the civil parish was 506 at the 2011 census.
There is a church, a village hall, a doctor’s surgery and pharmacy, a community shop, a mobile library, a recreational field with cricket club and a pub, The Exeter Arms.
The parish church is dedicated to St Peter. In an ancient tradition's rushes or hay are laid on the floors of nave and porch for St Peter's Day (29 June).
Barrowden is part of Ketton ward on Rutland County Council. The Rutland Round and Jurassic Way long-distance paths pass through the village.
Marianne Mason (1807–1884), a farmer's daughter who taught at the Baptist Sunday school at Barrowden, married Thomas Cook here on 2 March 1833.
The village was served by Wakerley and Barrowden railway station from 1873 to 1966. The station was across the Welland in the neighbouring parish of Wakerley.Belton-in-Rutland
Belton-in-Rutland is a village and civil parish in the county of Rutland in the East Midlands of England. The population at the 2001 census was 345 increasing to 348 at the 2011 census. It is situated about six miles (9.6 km) south-west of Oakham and about four miles (6.4 km) west of Uppingham and overlooks the A47.
The village has one Public House, The Sun Inn.
Belton was renamed Belton-in-Rutland in 1982 to distinguish the village from Belton in Leicestershire.
Belton is part of Braunston & Belton ward which has one councillor on Rutland County Council.HM Prison Ashwell
HM Prison Ashwell was a Category C men's prison located in the parish of Burley, in the county of Rutland, England. The site of the former prison is located about two miles south of the centre of the village of Ashwell, alongside the road to Oakham and opposite the former kennels of the Cottesmore Hunt.
The prison closed in 2011 and Rutland County Council acquired it from the Ministry of Justice in early 2013. The site has been redeveloped as Oakham Enterprise Park, a business park for office and light industrial use.Ketton
Ketton is a village and civil parish in Rutland in the East Midlands of England. It is about 8 miles (13 km) east of Oakham and 3 miles (5 km) west of Stamford, Lincolnshire. The 2011 Census recorded a parish population of 1,926, making it the fourth largest settlement in Rutland, after Oakham, Uppingham and Cottesmore.
The village has an outstanding primary school with 204 children currently on roll.
Ketton gave its name to the Ketton Rural District of Rutland which existed from 1894 to 1974. Ketton ward, which also includes the parishes of Barrowden, Tinwell and Tixover has two councillors on Rutland County Council.Leicester City Council
Leicester City Council is a unitary authority responsible for local government in the city of Leicester, England. It consists of 54 councillors, representing 22 wards in the city, overseen by a directly elected mayor. It is currently controlled by the Labour Party and has been led by Mayor Sir Peter Soulsby since his election on 6 May 2011. The main council building is City Hall on Charles Street, but council meetings are held in the 19th-century Town Hall.
As a unitary authority, the council is responsible for running nearly all local services in Leicester with the exception of the Leicestershire Fire and Rescue Service and Leicestershire Constabulary which are run by joint boards with Leicestershire County Council and Rutland County Council.Lyndon, Rutland
Lyndon is a small village in the county of Rutland in the East Midlands of England. The population of the civil parish was 80 at the 2001 census, including Pilton and increasing to 124 at the 2011 census.Thomas Barker (1722–1809) of Lyndon Hall kept a detailed weather record from 1736 to 1798. William Whiston (1667–1752), best known for his translation of Josephus, died at the Hall, the home of his son-in-law, Samuel Barker on 22 August 1752. The Hall is owned by the Conant family.
Lyndon Estate WebsiteMorcott
Morcott is a village and civil parish in the county of Rutland in the East Midlands of England. The population at the 2001 census was 329 falling slightly to 321 at the 2011 census. It is located about seven miles (11 km) south-east of the county town of Oakham on the A47 and A6121 roads. A prominent reconstructed windmill can be seen from both East and West-bound approaches to Morcott along the A47.Rutland County Council designated Morcott a Conservation Area in 1981, one of 34 conservation areas in Rutland which are “of special architectural or historic interest, the character or appearance of which it is desirable to preserve or enhance”.Normanton, Rutland
Normanton is a village and civil parish on the eastern shore of Rutland Water in the county of Rutland in the East Midlands of England. The population remained less than 100 at the 2011 census and was included in the civil parish of Edith Weston.
Normanton Hall was a seat of the Earls of Ancaster and an important centre of their estates. The stable block of their hall is now Normanton Park hotel. In the 18th century the village was cleared to make a park for the estate of the Heathcote family with the population mainly re-housed in Empingham.
In the 1970s much of the parish was flooded by the construction of the Rutland Water reservoir.
St Matthew's Church is a Grade II listed building, built in classical style. The tower and the western portico were built by Thomas Cundy Jr between 1826 and 1829, based on the design of St John's, Smith Square in Westminster, while the nave and apse were constructed in 1911, by J. B. Gridley of London. The building was once the private chapel for the Normanton Estate, but it was de-consecrated in 1970, and was to have been demolished as part of the reservoir construction, as its floor was below the proposed water level. Following a public outcry, the lower half was filled with stone and rubble, and a concrete cap constructed just below the level of the windows. An embankment was built around the church leaving it a prominent feature on the water's edge. The structure formerly housed a museum recording the history of Rutland Water, which is now located in the visitor centre. The structure is now used as a venue for civil weddings and concerts.
Normanton is the name of a ward of Rutland County Council, returning two councillors. The ward includes Edith Weston, Empingham, North Luffenham and South LuffenhamOakham Castle
Oakham Castle, in Oakham, Rutland, was constructed between 1180 and 1190 for Walchelin de Ferriers, Lord of the Manor of Oakham. The Castle is known for its collection of massive horseshoes and is also recognised as one of the best examples of domestic Norman architecture in England.Admission to the castle is free. Owned and managed by the Rutland County Council, Oakham Castle is licensed for civil ceremonies. The Castle was temporarily closed for an extensive restoration of the Castle, including the curtain wall. Oakham Castle was awarded a £2.165 million grant from the Heritage Lottery Fund in 2014 following a joint bid by Rutland County Council, Oakham Town Council and the Friends of Rutland County Museum. The castle reopened on 30 May 2016.Rutland
Rutland is a landlocked county in the East Midlands of England, bounded to the west and north by Leicestershire, to the northeast by Lincolnshire and the southeast by Northamptonshire.
Its greatest length north to south is only 18 miles (29 km) and its greatest breadth east to west is 17 miles (27 km). It is the smallest historic county in England and the fourth smallest in the UK as a whole. Because of this, the Latin motto Multum in Parvo or "much in little" was adopted by the county council in 1950. It has the smallest population of any normal unitary authority in England. Among the current ceremonial counties, the Isle of Wight, City of London and City of Bristol are smaller in area. The former County of London, in existence 1889 to 1965, also had a smaller area. It is 323rd of the 326 districts in population.
The only towns in Rutland are Oakham, the county town, and Uppingham. At the centre of the county is Rutland Water, a large artificial reservoir that is an important nature reserve serving as an overwintering site for wildfowl and a breeding site for ospreys.
Rutland's older cottages are built from limestone or ironstone and many have roofs of Collyweston stone slate or thatch.Rutland County Council (disambiguation)
Rutland County Council may be:
Rutland County Council
Rutland County Council (Vermont)
Rutland Scout County (The Scout Association)Rutland County Council elections
Rutland is a unitary authority and ceremonial county in England. Until 1 April 1997 it was a non-metropolitan district in Leicestershire.Scouting in Vermont
Scouting in Vermont has a long history, from the 1907 to the present day, serving thousands of youth in programs that suit the environment in which they live.Uppingham Community College
Uppingham Community College is a mixed secondary school located in Uppingham in the English county of Rutland.It was previously a community school administered by Rutland County Council. Uppingham Community College then briefly became a foundation school before being converted to academy status in April 2011. However the school continues to coordinate with Rutland County Council for admissions.
Uppingham Community College offers GCSEs, BTECs and vocational courses as programmes of study for pupils. The school specialises in STEM (Science, Technology, Engineering and Mathematics), and has additional resources and programmes of study to support the specialism.Vale of Catmose
The Vale of Catmose is an area of relatively low-lying land, much of which is flooded by Rutland Water, in western Rutland, England.The Catmose College (1972 - 2009 the Vale of Catmose College) is a school located in Oakham. Catmose is the name of the offices of Rutland County Council. Catmose Vale was the name of a former hospital in Oakham.