Roy McMillan

Roy David McMillan (July 17, 1929 – November 2, 1997) was a shortstop, coach and manager in Major League Baseball. From 1951 through 1966, McMillan played for the Cincinnati Reds, Milwaukee Braves, and New York Mets. He batted and threw right-handed. Following his retirement as a player, McMillan managed the Milwaukee Brewers and New York Mets. He was born in Bonham, Texas.

In a 16-season career, McMillan posted a .243 batting average with 68 home runs and 594 runs batted in in 2,093 games played.

McMillan, who spent 10 seasons with the Cincinnati Reds, was his team's glue between the infield and outfield in the 1950s. He won the first three Gold Gloves for the shortstop position (1957 in MLB, 1958-59 in the National League), and in 1954, he set a since-surpassed major league record of 129 double plays.

Twice named to the NL All-Star team (1956–57), McMillan also played with the Milwaukee Braves and New York Mets and finished his career in 1966. In 1970 he returned to Milwaukee as first-base coach with the Brewers, served as interim skipper in 1972 between Dave Bristol and Del Crandall, then coached for the New York Mets. In 1975, he replaced Yogi Berra as the Mets' interim manager. Late in his career, he was a scout for the Montreal Expos based in Bonham.

McMillan was inducted into the Cincinnati Reds Hall of Fame in 1971. He died in Bonham in 1997.

Roy McMillan
Roy McMillan 1953
McMillan in about 1953
Shortstop / Manager
Born: July 17, 1929
Bonham, Texas
Died: November 2, 1997 (aged 68)
Bonham, Texas
Batted: Right Threw: Right
MLB debut
April 17, 1951, for the Cincinnati Reds
Last MLB appearance
August 3, 1966, for the New York Mets
MLB statistics
Batting average.243
Home runs68
Runs batted in594
Managerial record27–28
Winning %.491
As player

As manager

Career highlights and awards


In 1957, McMillan and six of his Redleg teammates—Ed Bailey, Johnny Temple, Don Hoak, Gus Bell, Wally Post and Frank Robinson—were voted into the National League All-Star starting lineup, the result of a ballot stuffing campaign by Reds fans. Bell remained on the team as a reserve, but Post was taken off altogether. Bell and Post were replaced as starters by Hank Aaron and Willie Mays.

External links

1956 Major League Baseball All-Star Game

The 1956 Major League Baseball All-Star Game was the 23rd playing of the midsummer classic between the all-stars of the American League (AL) and National League (NL), the two leagues comprising Major League Baseball. The game was held on July 10, 1956, at Griffith Stadium in Washington, D.C. the home of the Washington Senators of the American League.

1957 Major League Baseball All-Star Game

The 1957 Major League Baseball All-Star Game was the 24th playing of the midseason exhibition baseball game between the all-stars of the American League (AL) and National League (NL), the two leagues comprising Major League Baseball. The game was held on July 9, 1957, at Busch Stadium in St. Louis, Missouri, the home of the St. Louis Cardinals of the National League. The game was marked by controversy surrounding Cincinnati Redlegs fans stuffing the ballot box and electing all but one of their starting position players to the game. The game resulted in the American League defeating the National League 6–5.

1961 Cincinnati Reds season

The 1961 Cincinnati Reds season was a season in American baseball. It consisted of the Reds winning the National League pennant with a 93–61 record, four games ahead of the runner-up Los Angeles Dodgers, but losing the World Series in five games to the New York Yankees. The Reds were managed by Fred Hutchinson, and played their home games at Crosley Field. The Reds were also the last team to win the National League in the 154-game schedule era, before going to a 162-game schedule a year later.

Cincinnati's road to the World Series was truly a remarkable one, as the Reds went through significant changes in a single season to improve from a team that won just 67 games and finished 28 games behind the eventual World Series Champion Pittsburgh Pirates in 1960. The architect of the turnaround was the Reds' new general manager Bill DeWitt, who left his role as president and general manager of the Detroit Tigers after the end of the 1960 season to replace Gabe Paul as the Reds' GM. Paul was hired as the general manager of the expansion Houston Colt .45s.

DeWitt, who had a short history of successful trades in Detroit including acquiring Norm Cash and Rocky Colavito, went to work at the 1960 Winter Meetings for Cincinnati. DeWitt found trade partners in the Milwaukee Braves and the Chicago White Sox. In essentially a three-team trade, the Reds acquired pitchers Joey Jay and Juan Pizarro for slick-fielding shortstop Roy McMillan on Dec. 15, 1960. On that same day, the Reds then traded Pizzaro and pitcher Cal McLish to the White Sox for third baseman Gene Freese. It was the fourth time Freese had been traded in 18 months. Most recently, the White Sox had acquired Freese from the Philadelphia Phillies for future all star Johnny Callison in December 1959.

Reds owner Powel Crosley, Jr. died suddenly of a heart attack at his home in Cincinnati 13 days before the start of the season. DeWitt would eventually purchase 100% of the team ownership from Crosley's estate by year's end.

The Reds began the season with Freese at third base, sure-handed Eddie Kasko moved from third (where he played in 1960) to shortstop and long-time minor leaguer Jim Baumer at second base. Baumer was one of MLB's "feel good" stories. After playing in nine games with the White Sox in 1949 as an 18 year old rookie, Baumer returned to the minor leagues and didn't make it back to the big league for 11 years. The Reds drafted Baumer during the Rule 5 draft after the Pittsburgh Pirates left him unprotected. After a solid spring training with the Reds, Baumer was named starting second baseman to open the season. As the season began, expectations were low for the Reds among baseball "experts." The Reds won their first three games, but then went into a slump, losing 10 of 12. To the surprise of many, it was the Reds' offense that struggled most. Baumer in particular was hitting just .125. DeWitt then made a bold move on April 27, 1961, trading all-star catcher Ed Bailey to the San Francisco Giants for second baseman Don Blasingame, catcher Bob Schmidt and journeyman pitcher Sherman Jones. Blasingame was inserted as starter at second base, and Baumer was traded to the Detroit Tigers on May 10 for backup first baseman Dick Gernert. Baumer never again played in the majors.

On April 30, the Reds won the second game of a double-header from the Pittsburgh Pirates to begin a 9-game winning streak. Exactly a month after the trade of Bailey, the Reds began another win streak, this time six games, to improve to 26-16. Those streaks were part of a stretch where the Reds won 50 of 70 games to improve to 55-30. Cincinnati led Los Angeles by five games at the All Star break.

After the break, the Dodgers got hot and the Reds floundered. After the games of August 13, Los Angeles was 69-40 and led Cincinnati (70-46) by 2½ games, but six in the loss column as the Dodgers had played seven fewer games than the Reds due to multiple rainouts. On Aug. 15, the Reds went into Los Angeles to begin a three-game, two-day series highlighted by a double-header. In the first game of the series, Reds' righty Joey Jay bested Sandy Koufax and the Dodgers, 5-2, as Eddie Kasko had four hits and Frank Robinson drove in two for Cincinnati. In the Wednesday double-header, knuckle-baller Bob Purkey threw a four-hit shutout as the Reds won Game 1, 6-0. In Game 2, Freese hit two home runs off Dodgers' lefty Johnny Podres and Jim O'Toole hurled a two-hitter as the Reds completed the sweep with an 8-0 victory. The Reds left Los Angeles with a half-game lead. It was the Dodgers' fourth-straight loss in what would turn out to be a 10-game losing streak to put the Dodgers in a hole, while the Reds stayed in first-place the rest of the season.

The Reds clinched their first pennant in 21 years on Sept. 26 when they beat the Cubs, 6-3, in the afternoon and the Dodgers lost to the Pittsburgh Pirates, 8-0, in the second game of a doubleheader. The Reds earned a chance to face the mighty New York Yankees in the 1961 World Series.

Outfielders Frank Robinson and Vada Pinson led the Reds offense while starting pitchers Bob Purkey, Jim O'Toole and newcomer Joey Jay were the staff standouts. Robinson (37 homers, 124 RBI, 117 runs scored, 22 stolen bases, .323 average) was named National League MVP. Pinson (208 hits, .343 average, 101 runs scored, 23 stolen bases) and a Gold Glove recipient, finished third in MVP voting. Purkey won 16 games, O'Toole won 19 and Jay won an NL-best 21 games. Jay also finished a surprising fifth in NL MVP voting, one spot ahead of future Hall of Famer Willie Mays who hit 40 home runs and drove in 123 for the Giants, such was the respect the Baseball Writers had for Jay's contributions to the Reds' pennant.

At a position (3B) that the Reds had received little offensive production from in the recent years leading up to 1961, Freese provided a major boost, slugging 26 home runs and driving in 87 runs to go with a .277 average.

Hutchinson, a former MLB pitcher, was masterful in his handling of the pitching staff as well as juggling a lineup that included part-timers (and former slugging standouts) Gus Bell, Wally Post (20, 57, .294) as well as Jerry Lynch (13, 50, .315). For the second straight season, Lynch led the National League with 19 pinch hits. Hutchinson was named Manager of the Year.

1964 New York Mets season

The 1964 New York Mets season was the third regular season for the Mets. They went 53–109 and finished 10th in the NL, 40 games behind the World Series Champion St. Louis Cardinals. They were managed by Casey Stengel. They played home games at Shea Stadium, which opened on April 17 of that year.

1965 New York Mets season

The 1965 New York Mets season was the fourth regular season for the Mets. They went 50–112 and finished 10th in the NL. They were managed by Casey Stengel and Wes Westrum. They played home games at Shea Stadium. As WOR-TV, the team' television broadcaster, began to be broadcast on cable starting that year via microwave relay throughout much of the Northeastern United States, it made the Mets the first major league team to broadcast its games via satellite to viewers outside its home city. Home and away games were aired on cable to regional viewers in this part of the country.

1972 Milwaukee Brewers season

The 1972 Milwaukee Brewers season involved the Brewers' finishing sixth in the American League East with a record of 65 wins and 91 losses. Because of the move of the Washington Senators to Texas, the Brewers shifted from the AL West to the AL East.

1975 New York Mets season

The 1975 New York Mets season was the 14th regular season for the Mets, who played their home games at Shea Stadium. Initially led by manager Yogi Berra followed by Roy McMillan, the team had an 82–80 record and finished in third-place in the National League's Eastern Division.

Al Moran

Richard Alan Moran (born December 5, 1938) is an American former Major League Baseball shortstop who played in 1963 and 1964 for the New York Mets. Born in Detroit, he threw and batted right-handed and was listed as 6 feet 1 inch (1.85 m) tall and 190 pounds (86 kg).

Moran attended Detroit Catholic Central High School. Originally signed by the Boston Red Sox before the 1958 season, Moran was sent as the player to be named later on January 14, 1963, to complete a trade with the Mets that occurred initially on December 11, 1962. In the deal, the Red Sox sent a player to be named later (Moran), Tracy Stallard and Pumpsie Green to the Mets for Félix Mantilla.

Moran made his big league debut on April 9, 1963, at the age of 24 against the St. Louis Cardinals. Facing pitcher Ernie Broglio, Moran went 0–3 in his debut. The rest of the team didn't fare much better in that game – Broglio held them to two hits, collecting the shutout.

Overall in his rookie season, Moran collected 64 hits in 331 at-bats for a .193 batting average. The team as a whole hit only .219 that year, so his average wasn't too far below the team average.

In 1964, Moran was replaced at shortstop by light-hitting Roy McMillan, so Moran appeared in only 16 games that year. In 22 at-bats, he collected five hits for a .227 batting average. He played his final big league game on May 10, 1964, against no other than the St. Louis Cardinals.

Overall in his two-year career, Moran played in 135 games, collecting 69 hits in 353 at-bats for a .195 batting average. He hit five doubles, two triples and one home run, scoring 28 runs and driving 27 runs in. He stole three bases in 10 tries, walking 38 times and striking out 62 times. He had a .951 fielding percentage.

Moran retired from professional baseball in 1966 after nine seasons.

Alex Grammas

Alexander Peter Grammas (born April 3, 1926) is an American former professional baseball infielder, manager and coach. A native of Birmingham, Alabama, Grammas played in Major League Baseball (MLB) for the St. Louis Cardinals, Cincinnati Redlegs and Chicago Cubs. He threw and batted right-handed, and was listed as 6 feet (1.8 m) tall and 175 pounds (79 kg).

Grammas attended Mississippi State University and signed with the Chicago White Sox in 1949. During his third season in the ChiSox' farm system, he was acquired by Cincinnati in 1951 and continued his minor league apprenticeship in the Reds' organization. Loaned to the New York Yankees' Kansas City Blues affiliate in 1953 (Cincinnati at the time lacked a Triple-A farm team), Grammas collected a career-high 179 hits and batted .307. He was named the American Association's All-Star shortstop.

With Roy McMillan blocking his path in Cincinnati, the Redlegs traded Grammas in December 1953 to the St. Louis Cardinals; the trade marked an unusual "ping-pong" trend in Grammas' playing career, as he would bounce between Cincinnati (prior to 1954: 1956–58) and St. Louis (1954–56; 1959–62) during the 1950s. The Cardinals finally broke the pattern in June 1962 by trading Grammas to the Cubs, where he finished his career (1962–63).

Grammas was the Cardinals' starting shortstop in 1954, 1955 and 1959 and ranked no lower than third in fielding percentage among National League shortstops each season; he finished his career with a .969 overall fielding mark. He was a reserve infielder with the Redlegs and Cubs. All told, he appeared in 913 games played over ten MLB seasons, collecting 512 hits, with 90 doubles, ten triples, 12 home runs and 163 runs batted in. He batted .247 lifetime.

Ballinger Cats

The Ballinger Cats were a Longhorn League baseball team based in Ballinger, Texas, United States that played from 1947 to 1950. They were affiliated with the Cincinnati Reds in 1948. As well, they played their home games at Ballinger Rec. Park that season. In their first year of existence, 1947, they won the league championship under manager Stuart Williams.

Multiple major league players spent time either playing and/or managing for the team, including Bill Atwood, Lindsay Brown, Charlie English, Buddy Hancken, Roy McMillan and 46-year-old George Milstead.Ballinger was home of minor league baseball teams from the 1920s to its disbandment in the late 1950s. The Ballinger Browns were affiliated with the bygone St. Louis Browns in the 1930s and early 1940s. Today, the Ballinger Cats name is back but they are members of the Central Texas Collegiate League, a woodbat summer league of collegiate level players.

Dave Bennett (baseball)

David Hans Bennett (born November 7, 1945) is a retired American professional baseball player. The right-handed pitcher, listed as 6 feet 5 inches (1.96 m) tall and 195 pounds (88 kg), had a 12-year pro career (1963–74) but appeared in only one Major League game, which was for the 1964 Philadelphia Phillies.

Bennett worked just one inning—the ninth—in relief on June 12 against the New York Mets at Connie Mack Stadium. He allowed a leadoff triple to Joe Christopher, then wild pitched him home. He later allowed a double to veteran Mets' shortstop Roy McMillan, who was left stranded. Bennett struck out Charley Smith and issued no bases on balls. The game, won by the Mets 11–3, had been started by Dave Bennett's older brother and teammate, Dennis, who took the loss.Bennet attended Yreka High School and in 1963 he was signed as an amateur free agent (prior to the establishment of the Major League Draft). He pitched in the Phillies' farm system for seven years before being dealt to the Pittsburgh Pirates organization (with minor leaguer Mike Everett) for catcher Del Bates, on January 28, 1970.

George Crowe

George Daniel Crowe (March 22, 1921 – January 18, 2011) was a Major League first baseman. He attended Franklin High School in Franklin, Indiana, graduated from Indiana Central College, now the University of Indianapolis, in 1943 and played baseball and basketball. He was the first Indiana "Mr. Basketball". He was a first baseman with a nine-year career from 1952–1953, 1955–1961 and played for the Boston Braves, Milwaukee Braves, Cincinnati Redlegs and St. Louis Cardinals (all of the National League). Crowe hit 31 home runs in 1957, filling in most of the season for the injured Ted Kluszewski.

Crowe also played with the Negro National League's (Rochester) New York Black Yankees in 1948, and played professional basketball for the barnstorming New York Renaissance Big Five (aka "Rens"). In 1947 Crowe played basketball for the integrated Los Angeles Red Devils, a team that also included future Brooklyn Dodger Jackie Robinson. In 1950, Crowe played baseball for the Hartford Chiefs, a minor league team in the Eastern League. He also played winter ball with the Cangrejeros de Santurce (Santurce Crabbers) of the Puerto Rico Professional Baseball League in the 1954-55 season where as a teammate of Willie Mays, Roberto Clemente, Buster Clarkson and Bob Thurman, Crowe formed part of the Escuadron Del Panico (Panic Squadron) which led the Crabbers to the league championship and eventually to win the Caribbean World Series.

He was elected to the National League All-Star team in 1958, although Crowe was not used in the All-Star Game. Coincidentally, the year before, fans of his team — the Cincinnati Redlegs (as the Reds were called at the time) — had been involved in a ballot stuffing campaign to put all of the team's regulars in the starting lineup. Ed Bailey, Johnny Temple, Roy McMillan, Don Hoak, Frank Robinson, Gus Bell and Wally Post had been "voted" into the lineup, but Crowe was beaten out in the final vote tally by future Cardinal teammate Stan Musial. Crowe set a record (later broken by Jerry Lynch and subsequently by Cliff Johnson) for most pinch-hit home runs in major league baseball history with 14.

When he switched fielding positions from first base to second base against the Chicago Cubs on the 14th of June, 1958, he completed a double play wearing his oversize "mitt". This led to a rule change that if a first baseman went to field at second or third base, they had to replace their "mitt" with a fielder's glove.He was the younger brother of Ray Crowe, who was the head coach of the Crispus Attucks High School teams that won two consecutive State titles in 1954-55 and 1955–56, led by Oscar Robertson.

Gus Bell

David Russell "Gus" Bell, Jr. (November 15, 1928 – May 7, 1995) was an American outfielder in Major League Baseball from 1950 through 1964, who played with the Pittsburgh Pirates, Cincinnati Reds, New York Mets and Milwaukee Braves. He batted left-handed and threw right-handed; in a 15-year career, Bell was a .281 hitter with 206 home runs and 942 RBIs in 1741 games. Defensively, he recorded a career .985 fielding percentage at all three outfield positions.

Joe Frazier (baseball)

Joseph Filmore Frazier (October 6, 1922 – February 15, 2011) was an outfielder and manager in Major League Baseball. He was signed as an amateur free agent in 1941, but did not play in the major leagues until 1947. After 1947, he spent parts of three seasons in the 1950s, primarily with the St. Louis Cardinals. In 1956, at the age of 33, he finished his playing career after having played in 217 games.

He then had a successful career as a minor league manager, first in the Houston Astros organization, and then, beginning in 1968, in the New York Mets farm system. He managed in Mankato of the Northern League, then Pompano Beach in the Florida State League. He would win the pennant in 1971 with Visalia of the California League. He then went on to win league championships with Memphis and Victoria in the Texas League.

Frazier, managing the Tidewater Tides in 1975, won the International League championship. The Tides had to win 22 of their last 33 games to finish the regular season in a first-place tie with the Rochester Red Wings. The Tides then won a one-game playoff behind the four-hit pitching of Nino Espinosa. The Tides advanced to win the Governors' Cup by defeating Charleston three games to none, and then Syracuse, three games to one. They then went on to the Junior World Series, losing to Evansville of the American Association four games to one.Following that successful 1975 season, Frazier was promoted to manager of the parent Mets on October 3, replacing interim manager Roy McMillan. At his introductory press conference, Mets General Manager Joe McDonald said, "Joe Frazier has consistently proved to us his ability to handle players. Winning is what it's all about, and Joe Frazier is a winner." Frazier himself added, "I'm the type of manager who stresses fundamentals. I think a man should go from first to third on a hit and second to home. I demand hustle. If I have my way, you're going to see a Mets' club next year that will hustle."Frazier managed the Mets to an 86–76 record in 1976, good for a third-place finish and an improvement over their 82-80 record from the previous season. But Frazier's Mets got off to a poor start in 1977, and following a 15-30 record, Frazier was replaced as Mets manager by Joe Torre, who was an active player on the Mets roster at the time.

In 1982 he was the manager of the Louisville Redbirds, the AAA affiliate of the St. Louis Cardinals. The team finished in second place with a record of 73–62. He was succeeded as manager of the Redbirds by Jim Fregosi.

Johnny Temple

John Ellis Temple (August 8, 1927 – January 9, 1994) was a Major League Baseball second baseman who played for the Redlegs/Reds (1952–59; 1964); Cleveland Indians (1960–61), Baltimore Orioles (1962) and Houston Colt .45s (1962–63). Temple was born in Lexington, North Carolina. He batted and threw right-handed.

Temple was a career .284 hitter with 22 home runs and 395 RBI in 1420 games. A legitimate leadoff hitter and four-time All-Star, he was a very popular player in Cincinnati in the 1950s. Throughout his career, he walked more often than he struck out, compiling an outstanding 1.92 walk-to-strikeout ratio (648-to-338) and a .363 on-base percentage. Temple also had above-average speed and good instincts on the base paths. Quietly, he had 140 steals in 198 attempts (71%).

In 1957, Temple and six of his Redleg teammates—Ed Bailey, Roy McMillan, Don Hoak, Gus Bell, Wally Post and Frank Robinson—were voted into the National League All-Star starting lineup, the result of a ballot stuffing campaign by Redlegs fans. Bell remained on the team as a reserve, but Post was taken off altogether. Bell and Post were replaced as starters by Hank Aaron and Willie Mays.

Temple enjoyed his best year in 1959, with career-highs in batting average (.311), home runs (8), RBI (67), runs (102), hits (186), at-bats (598), doubles (35) and triples (6). At the end of the season he was sent to Cleveland for Billy Martin, Gordy Coleman and Cal McLish.Temple also played with Baltimore and Houston, and again with Cincinnati for his last major season, where he was a part-time coach. In August 1964, he cleaned out his locker after having a fight with fellow coach, Reggie Otero. When Fred Hutchinson had to leave the Reds due to his health, Cincinnati management decided to go with only two coaches and not reinstate Temple.After his baseball career was over, Temple worked as a television newsman in Houston, Texas and got involved with a business that sold boats and RVs. The business failed causing Temple to lose everything, including his home. In 1977, Temple was arrested and charged with larceny of farm equipment. Through the efforts of his wife, who wrote a public letter to The Sporting News, Temple got legal assistance. He gave testimony to the South Carolina assembly against his criminal partners.Temple died in Anderson, South Carolina in 1994 at the age of 66.

Rawlings Gold Glove Award

The Rawlings Gold Glove Award, usually referred to as simply the Gold Glove, is the award given annually to the Major League Baseball players judged to have exhibited superior individual fielding performances at each fielding position in both the National League (NL) and the American League (AL), as voted by the managers and coaches in each league. It is also awarded to women fastpitch softball players in the National Pro Fastpitch as of 2016. Managers are not permitted to vote for their own players. Additionally, a sabermetric component provided by Society for American Baseball Research (SABR) accounts for approximately 25 percent of the vote. Eighteen Gold Gloves are awarded each year (with the exception of 1957, 1985, 2007, and 2018), one at each of the nine positions in each league. In 1957, the baseball glove manufacturer Rawlings created the Gold Glove Award to commemorate the best fielding performance at each position. The award was created from a glove made from gold lamé-tanned leather and affixed to a walnut base. Initially, only one Gold Glove per position was awarded to the top fielder at each position in Major League Baseball; however, separate awards were given for the National and American Leagues beginning in 1958.

Richie Myers

Richard Myers (April 7, 1930 – June 24, 2011) was an American Major League Baseball player. Listed at 5' 6", 150 lb., Myers batted and threw right-handed. He was born in Sacramento, California.

Myers had a nine-year minor league career as a shortstop before joining the Chicago Cubs during the 1956 season, appearing in four games as a pinch runner and pinch hitter.

In his only MLB at-bat on April 29, 1956, against the Cincinnati Redlegs at Crosley Field, Myers pinch hit for Cub pitcher Vito Valentinetti and grounded out to shortstop Roy McMillan against Cincinnati starting pitcher Art Fowler. As a pinch runner, he appeared in three other games but failed to score a run.

His 1948–1956 minor league career largely took place with his hometown Sacramento Solons of the Pacific Coast League, where he spent all or part of seven of his nine professional seasons. Myers posted a .261 batting average with 45 home runs in 937 games and a .964 fielding percentage at shortstop.Following his retirement, Myers worked for the city of Sacramento as a street maintenance supervisor. In 2006 Myers moved to Yreka, California, where he died at the age of 81 following complications from a fall.

Tyler Trojans

The Tyler Trojans were a minor league baseball team based in Tyler, Texas that played on-and-off from 1924 to 1950. The team played in the East Texas League (1924–1926, 1931, 1936–1940, 1946, 1949–1950), Lone Star League (1927–1929, 1947–1948) and West Dixie League (1935). The team was affiliated with the New York Giants in 1935 and 1936, the Cleveland Indians in 1939, the St. Louis Browns (1940) and Cincinnati Reds (1947–1949).

The squad won league championships in 1924, under manager Pop Kitchens, in 1938, under managers Doug Taitt, Fred Browning and Red Rollings and in 1940, under managers Bobby Goff and Sam Hancock.

Multiple Major League Baseball players spent time with the team, most notably later Major Leaguer Phil Weintraub and All-Stars Roy McMillan and Harry Walker.

Virgil Stallcup

Thomas Virgil Stallcup (January 3, 1922 – May 2, 1989) was an American professional baseball shortstop who played in seven Major League seasons from 1947 through 1953. Nicknamed ′′Red′′, the native of Ravensford, Swain County, North Carolina, threw and batted right-handed, stood 6 feet 3 inches (1.91 m) tall and weighed 185 pounds (84 kg).

Stallcup attended Clemson University. He was originally signed by the Boston Red Sox before World War II, and was selected by the Cincinnati Reds in the Rule 5 draft after the 1946 season, when Stallcup batted .304 in the Class B Piedmont League. After his debut with the Reds on April 18, 1947, he was sent to the Jersey City Giants for seasoning, and he responded by hitting .338 with 15 home runs in 76 games. From 1948 to 1951, Stallcup was Cincinnati's starting shortstop, but he never batted higher than .254; he twice hit eight home runs in a season. During the 1951 season, he was platooned with 21-year-old Roy McMillan, though he still saw the majority of the action at shortstop. However, the following season, McMillan became the everyday shortstop, and in May, Stallcup was traded to the St. Louis Cardinals, where he ended his MLB career as a utility infielder. Overall, Stallcup batted .241 with 22 home runs in 587 games.

After briefly managing in minor league baseball, Stallcup left the game. He died at age 67 by suicide in Greenville, South Carolina, by shooting himself in the chest.

Cupp is featured in Death in Vegas music video for the song Dirge.

Milwaukee Brewers managers


This page is based on a Wikipedia article written by authors (here).
Text is available under the CC BY-SA 3.0 license; additional terms may apply.
Images, videos and audio are available under their respective licenses.