Rothes (/ˈrɒθɪs/; Scottish Gaelic: Ràthais) is a town in Moray, Scotland, on the banks of the River Spey, 10 miles south of Elgin on the A941. The town has a population of 1,252 (2011). A settlement has been here since AD 600.
High Street, Rothes
|Population||1,252 (2011 census)|
|OS grid reference|
|Sovereign state||United Kingdom|
|Postcode district||AB38 7xx|
|Dialling code||01340 831 & 832|
At the south end of the village lie the remains of Rothes Castle ( built on a hill by Peter de Pollok about 1200 to command traffic up and down this stretch of Strathspey. The castle's remains consist of a fragment of the massive outer wall overlooking the High Street of Rothes town. The castle was four storeys high, with a portcullis guarding the entrance to the inner courtyard and a drawbridge that crossed the dry moat, which ran between the outer wall and the hill on which the castle stood. Sir Norman Leslie, the castle's owner, was host to King ),Edward I of England on 29 July 1296, during his triumphal march through Scotland following its conquest by him in 1296. On the visit, Sir Norman pledged his allegiance to the king.
In the 1390s Rothes Castle and its lands were passed to the Leslie family, who would later become the Earls of Rothes. Some of the earliest houses in Rothes were built from stones of the castle, which were taken by villagers to build dwellings after the castle was set alight and destroyed in 1662. The town can clearly be seen on maps even before this date. The villagers had burnt the castle to its current state, since it had become a refuge for tramps and thieves after being abandoned. Rothes's earls sold their Moray estates to the Seafield family around 1700, and by this time Rothes had grown past the immediate area of the now long-ruined castle, into a village aligned east-west along the line of the burn running into the Spey. After selling up, the earls of Rothes moved to Fife, buying land which, much later, would become the site of the new town of Glenrothes.
An official notice by James, Earl of Findlater, of intention to feu a town on the Mains of Rothes was placed on 12 December 1763 to the Elginshire Council, and in 1766 the Seafields laid out plans for a crofting township to align north-south along the valley. This forms the genesis of most of the road patterns in Rothes today. The planned town formed a cross to replicate the Saltire in honour of St. Andrew. It overlay its old unplanned predecessor, which can still be seen on the ground. A formal let of 23 tenements by the earl were placed on 1 March 1790.
Rothes was inhabited long before the castle was built; as far back as AD 600; missionaries had visited the area and built a chapel on Chapel Hill.
Rothes is home to four distilleries—Speyburn-Glenlivet Distillery, Glen Grant Distillery, Glen Spey Distillery and Glenrothes Distillery. Caperdonich distillery was the fifth in the town but was mothballed in 2002 and demolished in 2010.
The Helius CoRDe Biomass Plant was a joint venture by the Combination of Rothes Distillers Ltd and Helius Energy. It was officially opened by Charles, Duke of Rothesay, on 16 April 2013. It burns a combination of whisky distillery by-products and wood chips to create enough electricity to power up to 9,000 homes.
In addition to the distilleries, Forsyths Ltd is a major employer in the town. They specialize in fabrication for the oil and gas industry and the alcoholic-beverage industry. In the oil and gas sector they provide structural steelwork, piping, pressure vessels, umbilical/pipe reels and tanks. In the alcohol sector they provide distillation equipment for distilleries' construction, plant upgrades and expansion projects. They also provide equipment for both domestic and international beer, wine and spirit producers. Forsyths' portfolio includes Grants of Dufftown Ltd, Forblast, McCormacks, G&A Construction, Castelhill Services and Northern Fabricators.
Before 1968 Rothes had a railway station in the centre of town, which featured staggered platforms and unusual architecture. On the Orton line, it opened to passenger traffic on 23 August 1858 and was served by the Morayshire Railway. An extension to the line, from Rothes to Craigellachie, was opened on 23 December 1858. A new line between Elgin and Rothes was opened to freight on 30 December 1861 and to passengers on 1 January 1862. The Orton line closed on 31 July 1866, and on 4 November 1968 the Elgin to Rothes line was closed to freight and passengers. Today, nothing remains of the station.
Rothes lies on the A941 and is easily accessible by car. The town is also served by regular buses to and from Elgin, which also travels to Craigellachie, Aberlour and Dufftown.
Rothes F.C. are the town's senior football team, playing their games at Mackessack Park in the Highland Football League. Rothes Amateurs are the town's other football team and play in the Moray District Welfare League on the town's park. Rothes also has a bowling club, a tennis club and a golf club. One can fish on the River Spey or go to the Glen of Rothes Trout and Coarse Fishery just outside the town.
Rothes Police Station is the only station in the area that is manned 24 hours a day; it covers the whole of Speyside. All the other stations in the valley were closed due to cut-backs. Rothes is also manned by a retained fire station and a GP's surgery.
Rothes Visitor Centre, locally known as The Cottage has been open since 1995, provides a range of useful services. Tourist information leaflets are available and the volunteers have lots of knowledge about the surrounding area.
Rothes Primary School, which opened in 1916, educates the town's children from primary 1 to 7, at which point they further their education at Speyside High School, located 5 miles south in Aberlour.
Before Speyside High School was opened in August 1976, Rothes Primary School was also a junior secondary school, taking pupils up to 3rd year. From 3rd to 6th year the pupils had to go to Elgin Academy. In 1966 it was reduced to a 2-year secondary and from August 1969 all secondary education was carried out at Elgin Academy. Until Speyside High School was fully established as a secondary education facility, the Rothes Primary 7 pupils had the option of attending either Elgin (if a sibling attended) or the new Speyside complex.
Rothes has a very long history of flooding. On numerous occasions, houses have been flooded from a combination of the Back Burn, the Burn of Rothes and the Black Burn.
The £25 million Rothes Flood Alleviation Scheme was devised to alleviate flooding from these burns. The works were completed in May 2011, £2.4 million under budget.
The works were
The works were programmed to suit various environmental constraints, including salmon spawning.
The scheme provides a standard of flood protection of at least 1 in 100 years plus an allowance for climate change.
Rothes has an oceanic climate typical of Northern Scotland, characterised by relatively mild, damp winters and cool cloudy summers. The area averages 76 air frosts a year. Like much of Europe, Rothes's climate is insulated somewhat by the Gulf Stream, a warm ocean current originating near the gulf of Mexico. This warm ocean current makes Rothes's climate significantly milder during the winter than expected for its latitude.
The 2015–16 Highland Football League started on 25 July 2015 and ended on 7 May 2016.2019–20 Highland Football League
The 2019–20 Highland Football League (known as the Breedon Highland League for sponsorship reasons) will be the 117th season of the Highland Football League, and the 6th season as the fifth tier of the Scottish football pyramid system. The season will begin on 27 July 2019 and is scheduled to end on 18 April 2020. Cove Rangers are the defending champions, but cannot defend their title after being promoted to Scottish League Two.Clan Leslie
Clan Leslie is a Lowland Scottish clan.Earl Rothes
Earl Rothes is Child Ballad 297 and is listed as #4025 in the Roud Folk Song Index. Child offers no comment on the ballad beyond its basic story, listing it among the final ballads in a five-volume work that covered 305 of the form.Earl of Haddington
Earl of Haddington is a title in the Peerage of Scotland. It was created in 1627 for the noted Scottish lawyer and judge Thomas Hamilton, 1st Earl of Melrose. He was Lord President of the Court of Session from 1616 to 1625. Hamilton had already been created Lord Binning in 1613 and Lord Binning and Byres, in the County of Haddington, and Earl of Melrose, in the County of Roxburgh, in 1619. These titles were also in the Peerage of Scotland. The title of the earldom derived from the fact that he was in possession of much of the lands of the former Melrose Abbey. However, Hamilton was unhappy with this title and wished to replace it with "Haddington" (a title which was then held by John Ramsay, 1st Earl of Holderness and 1st Viscount of Haddington, but on whose death in 1626 both peerages became extinct). In 1627 he relinquished the earldom of Melrose and was instead created Earl of Haddington, with the precedence of 1619 and with limitation to his heirs male bearing the surname of Hamilton. This derived from the fact that he considered it a greater honour to take his title from a county rather than from an abbey. Hamilton was a member of the prominent Scottish family of that name and descended from John de Hamilton, younger son of Walter de Hamilton (or Walter Fitzgilbert), who was granted the feudal barony of Cadzow and who is also the ancestor of the Dukes of Hamilton and Dukes of Abercorn.
Lord Haddington was succeeded by his eldest son, the second Earl. He was a staunch Covenanter. Haddington served as Governor of the Castle of Dunglass, and was killed by a massive explosion there in 1640. His eldest son, the third Earl, died childless at an early age and was succeeded by his younger brother, the fourth Earl. On his death the titles passed to his son, the fifth Earl. He married Margaret Leslie, 8th Countess of Rothes (died 1700), daughter of the noted statesman John Leslie, 1st Duke of Rothes, who had received a re-grant of the earldom of Rothes in 1663 which allowed it to be passed on to his daughter (see the Earl of Rothes for earlier history of this title). According to the regrant of 1663, the earldom of Rothes was not allowed to be united with the earldom of Haddington. The couple were therefore in 1689 granted a patent of the marriage contract, which stated that the earldom of Rothes should descend to their eldest son, the Hon. John, while the earldom of Haddington should be inherited by their second son, the Hon. Thomas. According to this patent Lady Rothes was succeeded by her eldest son John, the ninth Earl (who assumed the surname of Leslie; see the Earl of Rothes for further history of this branch of the family).
Lord Haddington was succeeded accordingly by his second son Thomas, the sixth Earl. He obtained a new charter of the earldom. He sat in the House of Lords as a Scottish Representative Peer from 1716 to 1735 and served as Lord-Lieutenant of Haddingtonshire from 1716 to 1735. He was also appointed Hereditary Keeper of Holyrood Palace. His eldest son Charles Hamilton, Lord Binning, married Rachel (died 1773), daughter of George Baillie, of Mellerstain House and Jerviswood. Through this marriage Mellerstein House and the Jerviswood estate came into the Hamilton family. Lord Binning predeceased his father. Lord Haddington was therefore succeeded by his grandson, Thomas the seventh Earl (the eldest son of Lord Binning), who married Mary Lloyd, née Holt (great-niece of Sir John Holt, Lord Chief Justice 1689-1709). On his death the titles passed to his son Charles, the eighth Earl. He was a Scottish Representative Peer from 1807 to 1812 and Lord-Lieutenant of Haddingtonshire from 1804 to 1823. He was succeeded by his son, the ninth Earl. He was a Tory politician and served as Lord-Lieutenant of Ireland from 1834 to 1835 and as First Lord of the Admiralty (with a seat in the cabinet) from 1841 to 1846. In 1827, one year before he succeeded his father in the earldom, he was created Baron Melros, of Tyninghame in the County of Haddington, in the Peerage of the United Kingdom.
Lord Haddington resigned the office of Hereditary Keeper of Holyrood Park in 1843 for a compensation fee of £40,000. He was childless and on his death in 1859 the barony of Melros became extinct.
The ninth Earl was succeeded in the Scottish titles by his second cousin, the tenth Earl. He was the son of George Baillie of Jerviswood (who had assumed the surname of Baillie in lieu of Hamilton), son of the Hon. George Hamilton, younger brother of the seventh Earl. He assumed in 1859 by Royal licence the additional surname of Hamilton to that of Baillie. Lord Haddington was a Scottish Representative Peer in the House of Lords from 1859 to 1870 and served as a government whip in the 1866–1868 Conservative administration. On his death the titles passed to his son, the eleventh Earl. He was Lord-Lieutenant of Haddingtonshire from 1876 to 1917. In 1858 Haddington assumed by Royal licence the additional surname of Arden after that of Baillie-Hamilton. His eldest son George Baillie-Hamilton, Lord Binning (1856–1917), was a brigadier-general in the army. However, he predeceased his father. Lord Haddington was therefore succeeded by his grandson, the twelfth Earl. He was the son of Lord Binning. He sat in the House of Lords as a Scottish Representative Peer from 1922 to 1963 (when all Scottish peers were granted the right to sit in the House of Lords) and served as Lord-Lieutenant of Berwickshire from 1952 to 1969. He was succeeded by his only son, the thirteenth Earl (1941–2016), in 1986. As of 2017 the titles are held by his only son, the fourteenth Earl, who succeeded in 2016.
Several other members of the Baillie-Hamilton family have also gained distinction. George Baillie, son of the Hon. George Hamilton, younger brother of the seventh Earl, sat as Member of Parliament for Berwickshire. He was the father of (apart from the tenth Earl) 1) the politician and judge Charles Baillie, Lord Jerviswoode, and 2) Reverend the Hon. John Baillie (1810–1888), Canon Residentiary of York, who the great-grandfather of John Robert Edward Baillie, a Brigadier in the Royal Engineers. The Venerable Charles Baillie-Hamilton (1764–1820), son of the Hon. George Hamilton, younger brother of the seventh Earl, was Archdeacon of Cleveland. He was the father of Charles John Baillie-Hamilton, a Member of Parliament, and William Alexander Baillie-Hamilton (1803–1881), an admiral in the Royal Navy.
The family seat now is Mellerstain House, near Kelso, Berwickshire. The former family seat was Tyninghame House, near Tyninghame, East Lothian.Earl of Leven
Earl of Leven (pronounced "Lee-ven") is a title in the Peerage of Scotland. It was created in 1641 for Alexander Leslie. He was succeeded by his grandson Alexander, who was in turn followed by his daughters Margaret and Catherine (who are usually not included in the numbering of the Earls). Thereafter, there was a dispute relating to succession to the title between David Melville and John Leslie, 1st Duke of Rothes. However, in 1681, Melville's claim was admitted after the Duke of Rothes died. In 1707, Melville succeeded to the title Earl of Melville, and thereafter the earldoms have been united.
The other titles held by the Earl are: Viscount of Kirkaldie (created 1690), Lord Melville of Monymaill (1616), Lord Balgonie (1641), Lord Raith, Monymaill and Balwearie (1690). All are in the Peerage of Scotland.
The heir apparent to the Earldoms is styled Lord Balgonie.
The family seat is Glenferness House, near Nairn, Highland.Earl of Rothes
Earl of Rothes (pronounced "Roth-is") is a title in the Peerage of Scotland. It was created in 1458 for George Leslie, 1st Lord Leslie. He had already been created Lord Leslie in 1445, also in the Peerage of Scotland. His grandson, the third Earl, having only succeeded his elder brother in March 1513, was killed at the Battle of Flodden on 9 September of the same year. His son, the fourth Earl, served as an Extraordinary Lord of Session. Lord Rothes was also tried for the murder of Cardinal Beaton but was acquitted.
His great-great-grandson, the seventh Earl, was a prominent statesman. He was notably Lord High Treasurer of Scotland from 1663 to 1667 and Lord Chancellor of Scotland from 1667 to 1681. In 1663 he obtained a new charter conferring the earldom of Rothes and lordship of Leslie (which was regranted as Lord Leslie and Ballenbreich), in default of male issue of his own, on his eldest daughter Margaret, wife of Charles Hamilton, 5th Earl of Haddington, and her descendants male and female. It was stipulated in the charter that the earldoms of Rothes and Haddington should never be allowed to merge. In 1680 Lord Rothes was further honoured when he was made Lord Auchmotie and Caskieberry, Viscount of Lugtoun, Earl of Leslie, Marquess of Bambreich and Duke of Rothes, with normal remainder to the heirs male of his body. These titles were also in the Peerage of Scotland.
The Duke had no sons and on his death in 1681 the creations of 1680 became extinct. He was succeeded in the earldom of Rothes and the lordship of Leslie and Ballinbreich according to the charter of 1663 by his daughter Margaret, the eighth holder. Her husband Lord Haddington was succeeded by their second son Thomas (see the Earl of Haddington for more information on this title) while Margaret was succeeded by their eldest son John, the ninth Earl. He assumed the additional surname of Leslie and sat in the British House of Lords as a Scottish Representative Peer between 1708 and 1710. His son, the tenth Earl, was a Lieutenant-General in the Army and notably served as Commander-in-Chief of the Forces in Ireland. From 1723 to 1734 and from 1747 to 1767 he was a Scottish Representative Peer in the House of Lords.
His son, the eleventh Earl, died unmarried at an early age and was succeeded by his eldest sister Jane Elizabeth, the twelfth holder of the titles, despite the rival claim of her uncle Andrew. She was the wife firstly of George Raymond Evelyn, and secondly of Sir Lucas Pepys. Her son by her first husband, the thirteenth Earl, served as a Scottish Representative Peer from 1812 to 1817. Lord Rothes assumed the surname of Leslie in lieu of Evelyn. He was succeeded by his daughter Henrietta Anne, the fourteenth holder. She was the wife of George Gwyther who along with his wife assumed the surname of Leslie. Their grandson, the sixteenth Earl (who succeeded his father) died unmarried at a young age and was succeeded by his sister Henrietta, the seventeenth holder. She was wife of the Hon. George Waldegrave, younger son of William Waldegrave, 8th Earl Waldegrave.
They had no children and Henrietta was succeeded by her aunt Mary Elizabeth, the eighteenth holder. She was the second daughter of Henrietta Anne, the fourteenth holder, and the wife of Captain Martin Edward Haworth, who in 1886 assumed for himself and his family by Royal licence the additional surname of Leslie. Their grandson, the nineteenth Earl, sat in the House of Lords as a Scottish Representative Peer between 1906 and 1923. The wife of the 19th Earl, Lucy Noël Martha Leslie, Countess of Rothes, is best known as a survivor of the sinking of RMS Titanic in 1912. His son, the twentieth Earl, was a Scottish Representative Peer from 1931 to 1959. As of 2017 the titles are held by his grandson, the twenty-second Earl, who succeeded his father in 2005.The courtesy title used by an heir apparent to the earldom is Lord Leslie.
The family seat is Littlecroft, near West Milton, Dorset.George Leslie, 4th Earl of Rothes
George Leslie, 4th Earl of Rothes (born 2 Aug 1484 in Rothes)(died 24 November 1558) was a Scottish nobleman and diplomat.
George was the eldest son and heir of William Leslie, 3rd Earl of Rothes and Lord Leslie, who fell at the Battle of Flodden in 1513. George succeeded his father William, who in turn had succeeded his brother, George Leslie, the 2nd Earl. On 1 April 1517 George and his first wife redeemed by purchase family lands which James IV of Scotland had sold to Andrew Barton.
He was Sheriff of Fife from 1529 to 1540 and a Lord of Session from 1541 and a Lord of the Articles from 1544.
George accompanied James V of Scotland on his wedding trip to France in 1536. He was tried for the murder of Cardinal Beaton and acquitted in 1546. He was ambassador to Denmark in 1550, and died at Dieppe, France in 1558.
George died while returning from the solemnization of the marriage of Mary, Queen of Scots, which he witnessed. Several of the other Scottish commissioners died, Lord Fleming at Paris, and the Bishop of Orkney and Earl of Cassillis at Dieppe on the same night as George, 24 November 1558. It was rumoured that they were murdered because of their stance of the issue of giving the Crown-Matrimonial of Scotland to the Dauphin.Glen Spey Distillery
The Glen Spey distillery is a single malt Scotch whisky distillery in Rothes, Moray at the centre of the Speyside whisky producing area of Scotland.
Glen Spey distillery was built in 1878 by James Stuart & Co. under the name 'Mill of Rothes'. It actually started its life as an oatmeal mill - founder James Stuart was a corn merchant before he ventured into the whisky world. The distillation equipment was simply added to the existing mill in the years before the Glen Spey distillery was sold to the Gilbey company of London in 1887. It expanded production capacity from two to four stills in 1970.
Glen Spey (along with Glenlossie and Strathmill) continues to use 'purifiers'. Purifiers act as small condensers, returning a proportion of the alcohol vapours back to the pot to be re-distilled. So, this would increase the amount of 'reflux' within the pot stills. This results in a lighter spirit.
During its history, the distillery has released only a handful of official bottlings. The distillery's product is currently primarily used for J&B products.Grant Munro (footballer)
Grant Munro (born 15 September 1980 in Inverness, Scotland) is a Scottish former footballer.
He was, most recently, with Rothes in the Highland Football League.Hugh Baird
Hugh Baird (14 March 1930 – 19 June 2006) was a Scottish footballer, who played for Airdrieonians, Leeds United and Aberdeen. He also represented the Scotland national football team on one occasion against Austria at Hampden Park. Glasgow.
Baird started his professional playing career aged 21 with Scottish Football League side Airdrieonians, whom he joined from Dalry Thistle. A striker, he quickly gained a reputation as a prolific goal scorer. In 1957 Leeds United signed him for £12,000 but he only stayed one season in England. In 1958 Aberdeen paid a then club record transfer fee of £11,500 to ensure his return north. He stayed with Aberdeen until 1962 making 86 appearances for the Dons.
Baird continued playing football for another 5 years following his departure from Pittodrie, enjoying a very brief spell with Brechin City and not featuring in the Brechin first team, before moving into the Highland Football League for longer spells with Deveronvale FC, the Banff Highland League Club, followed by a three-year spell at Rothes FC on Speyside, Morayshire, before retiring from football, aged 36, to become a bricklayer. Both Highland League clubs were in convenient rail commuting distance from his home in Aberdeen where he had settled following his transfer from Leeds United, and where he lived with his family until his death in June 2006 at 76 years of age.
Baird made one appearance for the Scottish national side in May 1956 at Hampden Park against Austria. He only received an international cap in 2006, after a successful campaign was started by Gary Imlach calling for his father and other affected players (including Baird) to receive caps. Until the early 1970s, the SFA did not award caps to players for matches other than those in the British Home Championship.John Leslie
John Leslie may refer to:
Sir John Leslie (physicist) (1766–1832), Scottish mathematician and physicist
John Leslie (TV presenter) (born 1965), Scottish former television presenter
John Leslie (bishop of Clogher) (1571–1671), Church of Scotland and Church of Ireland bishop
John Leslie (bishop of Kilmore, Elphin and Ardagh) (1772–1854), Church of Ireland bishop, great-great-grandson of the above
John Leslie (footballer) (born 1955), English footballer
John Leslie (politician) (1873–1955), British Labour Party Member of Parliament for Sedgefield, 1935–1950
John Leslie (director) (1945–2010), American porn actor, director and producer
John Leslie (rugby union) (born 1970), New Zealand rugby union footballer who played for Scotland
Sir John Leslie, 1st Baronet (1822–1916), Conservative Member of Parliament for Co. Monaghan, 1871–1880
Sir John Leslie, 2nd Baronet (1857–1944), Irish landowner and soldier in the British Army
Sir John Leslie, 4th Baronet (1916–2016)
John Leslie, 1st Duke of Rothes (c. 1630–1681)
John Leslie, 6th Earl of Rothes (1600–1641), Scottish nobleman
John Leslie, 10th Earl of Rothes (1698–1767), British Army officer
John Leslie, 11th Earl of Rothes (1744–1773)
John Leslie (priest) (1868–1934), Dean of Lismore
John A. Leslie (born 1940), Canadian philosopher
John A. Leslie (Canadian politician), former Ontario MPP for York East
Jack Leslie (politician) (1920–2010), mayor of Calgary, Alberta
Shane Leslie (Sir John Randolph Leslie, 3rd Baronet, 1885–1971), Anglo-Irish soldier and writer
John Leslie of Parkhill, involved in the murder of Cardinal David Beaton in 1546John Leslie, 10th Earl of Rothes
General John Leslie, 10th Earl of Rothes KT (1698 – 10 December 1767) was a senior British Army officer who became Commander-in-Chief of the Royal Irish Army between 1758 and 1767.John Leslie, 1st Duke of Rothes
John Leslie (c. 1630 – 27 July 1681), son of John Leslie, 6th Earl of Rothes, was the 7th Earl of Rothes and 1st Duke of Rothes. According to tradition, he was a descendant of Princess Beatrix, sister of King Malcolm III of Scotland. His family had intermarried with both the Stuarts and the Bruces.Leslie, Fife
Leslie is a large village and parish on the northern tip of the River Leven Valley, to the west of Glenrothes in Fife. According to the population estimates (2006), the village has a population of 3,092. The village was granted burgh of barony status by James II in 1458 for George Leslie who became the first Earl of Rothes. Later, this was upgraded to a police burgh in 1865.The civil parish has a population of 12,254 (in 2011).Leslie is a linear settlement with the historic high street as its main focus. A large proportion of housing in Leslie is traditional however there are concentrations of more contemporary housing in the west of the village. The high street contains a number of community facilities including shops, pubs, restaurants and a dentist. Leslie also has a primary school which is located in the west of the village. The former Fettykil paper mill lies within the Leven valley to the south and historic Leslie House, former stately home of the Earls of Rothes, sits in large grounds to the south-east of the village within Riverside Park.Moray District Welfare Football Association
The Moray Welfare Football Association is affiliated to the Scottish Welfare Football Association which is affiliated to the Scottish Football Association. One of the biggest welfare associations in Scotland it has 18 club members and is sponsored by Abbeyside Care Group.
The association has two divisions, a Premier League and a First Division. In 2016, the champions of the Premier League were Aberlour Villa, while the First Division champions were Ugie Youths. The Tewnion Cup winners were FC Fochabers beating Buckie United 6-0 at Kynoch Park. They were also the winners of The Mike Simpson Cup beating Ugie Youths 7-1 at Borough Briggs.
In 2017 the league setup was reverted one division including a top and bottom half split.Morayshire Railway
The Morayshire Railway was the first railway to be built north of Aberdeen, Scotland. It received royal assent in 1846 but construction was delayed until 1851 because of the adverse economic conditions existing in the United Kingdom. The railway was built in two phases with the section from Elgin to Lossiemouth completed in 1852. When the Inverness and Aberdeen Junction Railway (I&AJR) reached Keith via Elgin, the Morayshire was able to complete the Speyside second phase by connecting the Craigellachie line at Orton. Initially, the Morayshire ran its own locomotives on the I&AJR track between Elgin and Orton but this was short-lived and the Morayshire carriages were then hauled to Orton by the I&AJR. Disagreements with the I&AJR eventually forced the Morayshire into constructing a new section of track between its stations at Elgin and Rothes; this was completed in 1862. The Morayshire accomplished its final enlargement by connecting to the new Great North of Scotland Railway (GNoSR) Craigellachie station in 1863. Crippling debt forced the company into an arrangement with the GNoSR for it to assume operation of the track in 1866. By 1881, the Morayshire had greatly reduced its debt and its long sought-after amalgamation with the GNoSR finally took place.Noël Leslie, Countess of Rothes
Lucy Noël Martha Leslie, Countess of Rothes (née Dyer-Edwardes; 25 December 1878 – 12 September 1956) was a British philanthropist and social leader, a heroine of the Titanic disaster, famous for taking the tiller of her lifeboat and later helping row the craft to the safety of the rescue ship Carpathia. The countess was for many years a popular figure in London society, known for her blonde beauty, bright personality, graceful dancing and the diligence with which she helped organize lavish entertainments patronized by English royalty and members of the nobility. She was long involved in charity work throughout the U.K., most notably assisting the Red Cross with fundraising and as a nurse for the Coulter Hospital in London during World War I. Lady Rothes was also a leading benefactor of the Queen Victoria School and The Chelsea Hospital for Women, known today as Queen Charlotte's and Chelsea Hospital.Rothes F.C.
Rothes Football Club is a senior football club who play in the Highland Football League. They were founded in 1938 and play at Mackessack Park in Rothes, a small town near Elgin in Moray. They play in tangerine shirts, colours they inherited from Dundee United after purchasing the floodlights from Tannadice Park. Rothes have won the Highland League once, in the 1958–59 season. Mackessack Park is named after one Douglas Mackessack, a local laird and whisky magnate and an early benefactor of the club.
|Climate data for Keith (Nearest climate station to Rothes) 1981–2010|
|Average high °C (°F)||5.9
|Average low °C (°F)||−0.6
|Average precipitation mm (inches)||65.7
|Mean monthly sunshine hours||45.9||77.3||108.2||142.2||190.0||152.7||156.8||145.6||117.5||89.6||53.2||35.0||1,314|
|Source: Met Office|
Places in Moray