Saint Rose of Lima, TOSD (April 20, 1586 – August 24, 1617), was a member of the Third Order of Saint Dominic in Lima, Peru, who became known for both her life of severe asceticism and her care of the needy of the city through her own private efforts. A lay member of the Dominican Order, she was declared a saint by the Catholic Church, being the first person born in the Americas to be canonized as such.
As a saint, Rose of Lima has been designated as a co-patroness of the Philippines along with Saint Pudentiana; both saints were moved to second-class patronage in September 1942 by Pope Pius XII, but Rose remains the primary patroness of Peru and of the indigenous natives of Latin America. Her image is featured on the highest denomination banknote of Peru.
Saint Rose of Lima
|Virgin and penitent|
|Born||Isabel Flores de Oliva|
April 20, 1586
Lima, Viceroyalty of Peru
|Died||August 24, 1617 (aged 31)|
Lima, Viceroyalty of Peru
|Venerated in||Roman Catholic Church, Anglican Communion|
|Beatified||April 15, 1667 or 1668, Rome, Papal States by Pope Clement IX|
|Canonized||April 12, 1671, Rome, Papal States by Pope Clement X|
|Major shrine||Basílica of Santo Domingo|
August 30 (some Latin American countries and pre-1970 General Roman Calendar)
|Attributes||rosids, anchor, Infant Jesus|
|Patronage||embroiderers; sewing lace; gardeners; florists; Latin America; people ridiculed or misunderstood for their piety; for the resolution of family quarrels; indigenous peoples of the Americas; Peru; Philippines; Villareal; Santa Rosa, California; Santa Rosa, Laguna; Santa Rosa, Nueva Ecija; Alcoy, Cebu; against vanity; Lima|
She was born Isabel Flores de Olivia in the city of Lima, then in the Viceroyalty of Peru, on April 20, 1586. She was one of the many children of Gaspar Flores, a harquebusier in the Imperial Spanish army, born in Puerto Rico, and his wife, María de Oliva y Herrera, a criolla native of Lima. Her later nickname "Rose" comes from an incident in her infancy: a servant claimed to have seen her face transform into a rose. In 1597 Isabel was confirmed by the Archbishop of Lima, Toribio de Mogrovejo, who was also to be declared a saint. She formally took the name of Rose at that time.
As a young girl—in emulation of the noted Dominican tertiary, St. Catherine of Siena—she began to fast three times a week and performed severe penances in secret. When she was admired for her beauty, Rose cut off her hair and smeared pepper on her face, upset that men were beginning to take notice of her. She rejected all suitors against the objections of her friends and her family. Despite the censure of her parents, she spent many hours contemplating the Blessed Sacrament, which she received daily, an extremely rare practice in that period. She was determined to take a vow of virginity, which was opposed by her parents who wished her to marry. Finally, out of frustration, her father gave her a room to herself in the family home.
After daily fasting, she took to permanently abstaining from eating meat. She helped the sick and hungry around her community, bringing them to her room and taking care of them. Rose sold her fine needlework, and took flowers that she grew to market, to help her family. She made and sold lace and embroidery to care for the poor, and she prayed and did penance in a little grotto that she had built. Otherwise, she became a recluse, leaving her room only for her visits to church.
She attracted the attention of the friars of the Dominican Order. She wanted to become a nun, but her father forbade it, so she instead entered the Third Order of St. Dominic while living in her parents' home. In her twentieth year she donned the habit of a tertiary and took a vow of perpetual virginity. She only allowed herself to sleep two hours a night at most, so that she had more hours to devote to prayer. She donned a heavy crown made of silver, with small spikes on the inside, in emulation of the Crown of Thorns worn by Christ.
For eleven years she lived this way, with intervals of ecstasy, and eventually died on August 24, 1617, at the young age of 31. It is said that she prophesied the date of her death. Her funeral was held in the cathedral, attended by all the public authorities of Lima. Her feast day is on August 23rd.
Rose was beatified by Pope Clement IX on May 10, 1667, and canonized on April 12, 1671, by Pope Clement X, the first Catholic in the Americas to be declared a saint. Her shrine, alongside those of her friends St. Martin de Porres and Saint John Macias, is located inside the convent of St. Dominic in Lima. The Roman Catholic Church says that many miracles followed her death: there were stories that she had cured a leper, and that, at the time of her death, the city of Lima smelled like roses; roses also started falling from the sky. Many places in the New World are named Santa Rosa after her.
Her liturgical feast was inserted into the General Roman Calendar in 1729 for celebration initially on August 30, because August 24, the date of her death, is the feast of Saint Bartholomew the Apostle and August 30 was the closest date not already allocated to a well-known saint. Pope Paul VI's 1969 revision of the calendar made August 23 available, the day on which her feast day is now celebrated throughout the world, including Spain, but excluding Peru and some other Latin American countries, where August 30 is a public holiday in her honor.
Early lives of Santa Rosa were written by the Dominican Father Hansen, "Vita Sanctae Rosae" (2 vols., Rome, 1664–1668), and Vicente Orsini, afterward. Pope Benedict XIII wrote "Concentus Dominicano, Bononiensis ecclesia, in album Sanctorum Ludovici Bertrandi et Rosae de Sancta Maria, ordinero praedicatorum" (Venice, 1674).
There is a park named for her in downtown Sacramento, California. A plot of land at 7th and K streets was given to the Roman Catholic Church by Peter Burnett, first Governor of the State of California. Father Peter Anderson built one of the first of two churches in the diocese to be consecrated under the patronage of St Rose.
In the Caribbean twin-island state of Trinidad and Tobago, the Santa Rosa Carib Community, located in Arima, is the largest organization of indigenous peoples on the island. The second oldest parish in the Diocese of Port of Spain is also named after this saint. The Santa Rosa Church, which is located in the town of Arima, was established on April 20, 1786, as the Indian Mission of Santa Rosa de Arima, on the foundations of a Capuchin Mission previously established in 1749.
St. Rose's skull, surmounted with a crown of roses, is on public display at the Basilica in Lima, Peru, along with that of Saint Martin de Porres. It was customary to keep the torso in the basilica and pass the head around the country.
On the last weekend in August, the Fiesta de Santa Rosa is celebrated in Dixon, New Mexico.
A barony of Saint Rose of Lima was created in the Royal House of Rwanda on 25 July 2016 by the Catholic king in exile, King Kigeli V of Rwanda.
Maywood, California, contains the largest parish dedicated to St. Rose. Dedicated parishes are located in:
North Wales, Pennsylvania, United States
Bendale, also called Cedarbrae, is a residential neighbourhood in the eastern part of Toronto, Ontario, Canada. It is located in the former suburb of Scarborough. It is centred on the intersection of Lawrence Avenue East and Brimley Road. Its boundaries, as defined by the City, are Midland Avenue from Lawrence, north to Highway 401, east to McCowan, south to Lawrence, east to West Highland Creek, south-west along West Highland Creek, then follow several side streets parallel to the Creek, north to Midland Avenue. The area north of Ellesmere is typically considered the Scarborough City Centre district, and is not considered in this neighbourhood article.
Bendale was shortened from the original name Benlomond in 1881, which was named for Benlomond.Blanco, New Mexico
Blanco is a census-designated place in San Juan County, New Mexico, United States. Its population was 388 as of the 2010 census. Blanco has a post office with ZIP code 87412, which opened on March 6, 1901. U.S. Route 64 passes through the community.
A parish was established in Blanco in 1900 with St. Rose of Lima Catholic Church being the mother church for many missions.Craigend, Glasgow
Craigend is a district in the Scottish city of Glasgow. It is situated north of the River Clyde, immediately west of Garthamlock and Easterhouse, east of Hogganfield. The local landmarks are two water towers, which are illuminated at night.
In the 1970s and 1980s Craigend was considered a high amenity area due to the large number of back and front door houses, compared to flatted buildings in the neighbouring areas of Ruchazie and Garthamlock. The building fabric of Craigend is now somewhat poorer than these areas which as they have been revigorated and rebuilt as part of the east end regeneration scheme.
Craigend has three schools, Sunnyside and Avenue End (which are non-denominational) and St Rose of Lima (Roman Catholic).Militia Christi
Militia Christi is a continuation of a centuries-old Catholic movement founded by Saint Dominic as a movement for laity, envisaged as a kind of army in suppressing insurgents inspired by the Albigensian heresy. Saints Catherine of Siena and Rose of Lima were both members of the original movement.St. Dominic is more famous as the founder of the Order of Preachers, more commonly known as the Dominicans.Roman Catholic Diocese of Cabanatuan
The Roman Catholic Diocese of Cabanatuan (Lat: Dioecesis Cabanatuanensis) is a diocese of the Roman Catholic Church in southern Nueva Ecija province in the Philippines. The diocese comprises 16 towns of the province including the cities of Cabanatuan, Palayan and Gapan. The diocese is a suffragan of the Archdiocese of Lingayen-Dagupan.The diocese was created on June 3, 1963 from the territory of Archdiocese of Lingayen-Dagupan. It was put under the patronage of St. Nicholas of Tolentine and the Virgin Mary under the title Divine Shepherdess (Divina Pastora) which is popularly venerated in Gapan City every May 1. The seat of the diocese is the St. Nicholas of Tolentine Cathedral in Cabanatuan City with a feast day of September 10.
The diocese lost some territory in 1984 when the Diocese of San Jose in northern Nueva Ecija was formed.
The current bishop of the diocese is Most Rev. Sofronio Aguirre Bancud, SSS, DD. He was appointed as auxiliary bishop on 2004 and installed as bishop on January 25, 2005.Roman Catholic Diocese of Reno
The Roman Catholic Diocese of Reno is an ecclesiastical territory (or diocese) of the Roman Catholic Church in the northern Nevada region of the United States, centered on the city of Reno. The diocese comprises the counties of Carson City, Churchill, Douglas, Elko, Eureka, Humboldt, Lander, Lyon, Mineral, Pershing, Storey and Washoe. The bishop of Reno has his liturgical and canonical seat (cathedra) at The Cathedral of Saint Thomas Aquinas.
The See of Reno is a suffragan diocese of the Ecclesiastical Province of San Francisco. Other suffragan sees include the Dioceses of Honolulu, Las Vegas, Oakland, Sacramento, Salt Lake City, San Jose, Santa Rosa and Stockton.Roman Catholic Diocese of Tarlac
The Roman Catholic Diocese of Tarlac (Latin: Dioecesis Tarlacensis) is a diocese of the Roman Catholic Church comprising the whole civil province of Tarlac in the Philippines. The seat of Roman Rite Latin Church diocese is the Saint Sebastian Cathedral in Tarlac City.Created on February 16, 1963, the diocese was created from territories from both Diocese of San Fernando and the Diocese of Lingayen-Dagupan. The diocese is a suffragan of the Archdiocese of San Fernando in Pampanga.Enrique V. Macaraeg is the current bishop whose appointment was made on March 31, 2016. He was ordained on May 24, 2016 and installed on the Cathedral on May 31, 2016.Roseville, Minnesota
Roseville is a city in Ramsey County, Minnesota, just north of Saint Paul and east of Minneapolis. It is one of two Twin Cities suburbs that are adjacent to both Saint Paul and Minneapolis (the other is Lauderdale). The land comprising Falcon Heights, Lauderdale, and southern Roseville was unincorporated until Roseville incorporated in 1948 and Falcon Heights and Lauderdale incorporated in 1949.Roseville, Newark
Roseville is an unincorporated community and neighborhood within the city of Newark in Essex County, New Jersey, United States. It borders Bloomfield and East Orange. To the neighborhood's immediate east is the Newark City Subway and Branch Brook Park. Roseville is divided into Upper Roseville north of 3rd Ave and Lower Roseville south of 3rd Ave.
Originally called "Rowesville," Roseville was farmland at the time of the Civil War, but during the conflict most of the area was turned into Union Army training and camping grounds. Residential development began with the construction of Newark's first streetcar line in 1862, and expanded greatly in the 1880s. Growth was also spurred by the Delaware, Lackawanna, & Western Railroad, which maintained a train station in Roseville for many years (closed in 1982 by New Jersey Transit). For generations, Roseville received Newarkers who had acquired the prosperity to leave the crowded tenements of the Ironbound and the central part of the city.
At the turn of the century, the northern section of the district was predominantly Irish-American, but the rest of the neighborhood was not associated with any single ethnic group. Most of the residents, however, were Catholic and St. Rose of Lima Church was an important part of neighborhood life. In the 1950s and 1960s, the proportion of African American residents increased. However, since the 1970s, increasing numbers of Hispanic families have moved into the neighborhood, hailing from Puerto Rico, Dominican Republic and various Latin American mainland countries.
From 1929 to 1964 Roseville was Newark Academy's third home. The school had a large campus on First Street, between Seventh Avenue and Orange Street. The building was torn down in 1965 and replaced by apartments.
Roseville has a tradition of community organization. In 1930 the citizens of Roseville founded the Roseville Community Council, the first grass-roots neighborhood improvement society in Newark. In the wake of the 1967 riots, the pastor of St. Rose of Lima Church, Monsignor William J. Linder, founded the New Community Corporation, a highly successful jobs, housing, and medical care charity.
A major landmark of Roseville is the Newark Schools' Stadium at the corner of Roseville Avenue and Bloomfield Avenue. There are also many Italian restaurants along Bloomfield Avenue.
Roseville is served by the Orange Street, Park Avenue and Bloomfield Avenue Stations of Newark City Subway.
Educational institutions include: First Avenue Elementary School, Dr.William.H.Horton School, Alma Flagg Elementary School, Sussex Avenue School, Roseville Avenue School, Newark Preschool, and St. Rose of Lima School.
The historic Roseville Presbyterian Church, incorporated in 1854, is located on Roseville Ave between I-280 and Sussex Avenue. It was originally started by middle class residents from nearby East Orange and is now a predominantly African American Congregation.
Roseville is served by two public library branches: Roseville branch for Lower Roseville and the First Ave branch for Upper Roseville.Santa Rosa, Nueva Ecija
Santa Rosa, officially the Municipality of Santa Rosa, is a 1st class municipality in the province of Nueva Ecija, Philippines. According to the 2015 census, it has a population of 69,467 people.St. Rose Church (Cincinnati, Ohio)
St. Rose (of Lima) Church, also known as St. Rosa Church, is a Roman Catholic church located in Cincinnati, Ohio's East End neighborhood at 2501 Riverside Drive (formerly Eastern Avenue). Located near the banks of the Ohio River, the church has endured many floods as evidenced by a high water mark painted on the rear side.St. Rose of Lima Catholic Church (Gaithersburg, Maryland)
Saint Rose of Lima Catholic Church in Gaithersburg is a parish of the Roman Catholic Church of Maryland in the United States. It falls under the jurisdiction of the Archdiocese of Washington and its archbishop. It is named after Saint Rose of Lima of Peru. Mass is held in both English and Spanish.St. Rose of Lima Church
St. Rose of Lima Church or variations with Saint or Parish or otherwise, may refer to:
St. Rose of Lima Parish in Chula Vista, Chula Vista, California
St. Rose of Lima Church (Newtown, Connecticut), a Roman Catholic parish church in Newtown, Connecticut, United States. It is under the authority of the Diocese of Bridgeport, and named for Rose of Lima, the first person born in the Americas to be canonized by the Catholic Church
St. Rose of Lima Catholic Church (Gaithersburg, Maryland), a parish of the Roman Catholic Church of Maryland in the United States. It falls under the jurisdiction of the Archdiocese of Washington and its archbishop. It is named after Saint Rose of Lima of Peru
St. Rose of Lima's Church (Manhattan), a Roman Catholic parish church in the Roman Catholic Archdiocese of New York, located at 510 W. 165th Street, and Amsterdam Avenue, Manhattan, New York City
St. Rose of Lima's Old Church (New York City), a former Roman Catholic parish church under the authority of the Roman Catholic Archdiocese of New York, located at 36 Cannon Street between Broome Street & Delancey Street in the Lower East Side of Manhattan, New York CitySt. Rose of Lima Church (Manhattan)
The Church of St. Rose of Lima is a Roman Catholic parish church in the Roman Catholic Archdiocese of New York, located at 510 West 165th Street between Audubon and Amsterdam Avenues in the Washington Heights neighborhood of Manhattan, New York City. The Romanesque Revival church was designed by Joseph H. McGuire and built in 1902-05.St. Rose of Lima Church (Newtown, Connecticut)
St. Rose of Lima Church is a Roman Catholic parish church at 46 Church Hill Road in Newtown, Connecticut, United States. It is under the authority of the Diocese of Bridgeport, and was founded under the patronage of St. Rose of Lima, the first person born in the Americas to be canonized by the Catholic Church.St. Rose of Lima Mission, Roman Catholic Church (Silver Lake, Missouri)
St. Rose of Lima Mission is a Roman Catholic church in Silver Lake, Missouri, in the deanery of Ste. Genevieve of the Archdiocese of St. Louis. It is administered by the Vincentians as a mission of St. Vincent de Paul Church in Perryville; as with the churches of St. James and St. Joseph, there are no weekend Masses offered.St. Rose of Lima Old Church (New York City)
The Old Church of St. Rose of Lima is a former Roman Catholic parish church which was under the authority of the Roman Catholic Archdiocese of New York, located at 36 Cannon Street between Broome Street and Delancey Street in the Lower East Side of Manhattan, New York City. The rectory was located at 42 Cannon Street; the school was located at 290 Delancey Street. The 1871 church was described by The New York Times when it opened in 1871, as one of the finest churches in the city. The church was demolished around July 1901 and the site redeveloped in conjunction with the erection of the Williamsburg Bridge (1903) and public housing. A new church was begun shortly after property was purchased in July 1900 at Grand and Lewis Streets. The parish closed in the 1960s.St. Rose of Lima Park station
St. Rose of Lima Park is a split Sacramento RT Light Rail station, located near the park named in honor of Rose of Lima, in Downtown Sacramento, California. From the RT light rail's inception in 1987, it consisted of only two platforms at the vicinity: the northbound one (towards Watt/I-80) at the intersection of 9th and K Streets, and the former southbound one at 7th and K Streets. When RT expanded the light rail system in 2007 to serve Sacramento Valley station, it added the northbound-only 8th and K Streets station. Today, the 9th street platform is marked as "St. Rose of Lima Park" while the platform in the middle on 8th Street is simply marked as "8th and K".The 9th & K platform is served by the Blue Line only, while the 8th & K platform is served by the Gold and Green Lines. With a daily average of 3,900 riders, the St. Rose of Lima Park station is the third busiest in the RT light rail system behind Meadowview and 16th Street stations. It serves the Golden 1 Center, nearby downtown office buildings and Downtown Commons (formerly Downtown Plaza), an entertainment and shopping complex that anchors the arena.