The Archdiocese of St. Louis (Latin: Archidioecesis Sancti Ludovici) is the Roman Catholic archdiocese that covers the City of St. Louis and the Missouri counties of Franklin, Jefferson, Lincoln, Perry, Saint Charles, Saint Francois, Ste. Genevieve, St. Louis, Warren, and Washington. It is the metropolitan see to the suffragan sees of the Diocese of Springfield-Cape Girardeau, the Diocese of Jefferson City, and the Diocese of Kansas City-Saint Joseph.
It is currently led by Robert James Carlson, the former Bishop of Saginaw, who was named the Archbishop-elect on April 21, 2009, by Pope Benedict XVI, and was installed on June 10, 2009. Archbishop Carlson was assisted by Auxiliary Bishop Emeritus Robert Joseph Hermann who is now retired. His current auxiliary bishop is Mark Steven Rivituso who was appointed in 2017 and who replaced Auxiliary Bishop Edward Matthew Rice who served from 2010 to 2016 after replacing Hermann. His predecessor was Archbishop Raymond Burke until Burke's transfer to the position of Prefect of the Supreme Tribunal of the Apostolic Signatura on June 27, 2008. The archdiocesan cathedral is the Cathedral Basilica of St. Louis. The original cathedral and mother church is the Basilica of St. Louis, King of France. The Archdiocese is also one of two in the world that has both an Archbishop and a Cardinal, as Cardinal Raymond Burke's See remains St. Louis, and represents the Archdiocese in the College of Cardinals.
Archdiocese of Saint Louis
Archidioecesis Sancti Ludovici
|Territory||Greater St. Louis and ten counties in eastern Missouri|
|Ecclesiastical province||St. Louis|
|Area||5,968 sq mi (15,460 km2)|
|(as of 2017)|
|Established||July 18, 1826 (192 years ago)|
|Cathedral||Cathedral Basilica of St. Louis|
|Co-cathedral||Basilica of St. Louis, King|
|Patron saint||Saint Louis IX|
Saint Vincent DePaul
Saint Rose Philippine Duchesne
|Archbishop||Robert James Carlson|
|Auxiliary Bishops||Mark Steven Rivituso|
|Emeritus Bishops||Robert Joseph Hermann|
The first parish of Saint Louis was established in 1770 and it was incorporated into the Diocese of Louisiana and the Two Floridas when it was erected on April 25, 1793, which originally encompassed the entire Louisiana Purchase as well as the Florida peninsula and the Gulf Coast. This parish is St. Genevieve parish in St. Genevieve Missoui
The city of Saint Louis was sold to the United States in 1803. The area's first bishop was Louis William Valentine Dubourg, who on September 24, 1815, was appointed Bishop of Louisiana and the [East and West] Two Floridas by Pope Pius VII. He was the Bishop of the Louisiana Territory from 1815-1826. Unlike his predecessor, who set up his see in New Orleans, DuBourg chose to set up his episcopal see in St. Louis.
After his resignation and transfer to lead the diocese of Montauban, France, the diocese of Louisiana was split, giving New Orleans a bishop again, and the Diocese of St. Louis was erected on July 18, 1826, by Pope Leo XII. When founded, it included the state of Missouri, the western half of Illinois, and all American territory west of the Mississippi River and north of the state of Louisiana. It was the largest American diocese, equaling in extent all of the other nine dioceses.
Its first bishop, Joseph Rosati, led the Roman Catholic Church's expansion of its presence in these areas, and built its first cathedral, now known as the Basilica of St. Louis, King of France. He was the Bishop of St. Louis from 1826-1843.
On July 28, 1837, territory in Iowa, Minnesota, and the Dakotas was taken from the Diocese to form the Diocese of Dubuque, Iowa.
Until 1840, the "Old Cathedral" was the only church in the city. By 1850, there were 10: Cathedral of St. Louis, St. Mary of Victories, St. Francis Xavier, St. Patrick, St. Joseph, St. Vincent de Paul, St. John the Apostle, Sts. Peter and Paul, Holy Trinity, and St. Michael.
The St. Louis Diocese was elevated to an Archdiocese on July 20, 1847, by Pope Pius IX.
Because of its strong Catholic identity and having been the mother diocese of many dioceses in the midwest, the archdiocese was often referred to as "the Rome of the west". It is dedicated to Saint Louis IX and has as its copatrons Saints Vincent de Paul and Rose Philippine Duchesne. St. Louis IX, the patron of the archdiocese, represents the ideal Christian knight- a fervent layman, a man of honor and a leader unafraid of exhibiting his ardent spirituality. In 1833 a French laymen answered what the Second Vatican Council calls the universal call to holiness of all Christians. Blessed Frederic Ozanam founded the St. Vincent de Paul Society to serve the poor. The first chapter of the Society in the United States was started in St. Louis in 1845, led by Judge Bryan Mullanphy who later became mayor of the city of St. Louis. Mother Rose Philippine Duchesne and the Religious of the Sacred Heart opened the first school for girls west of the Mississippi, in St. Charles in 1818.
The Cathedral Basilica of Saint Louis contains the largest collection of mosaics in the world and is one of St. Louis' most impressive architectural treasures. The Cathedral of St. Louis was dedicated in 1926 on the 100th anniversary of the establishment of St. Louis as a diocese. An imposing structure – solid, permanent, huge – the building's richly colored interior mosaics are a visual prayer. Built under the direction of Archbishop John Glennon – the last Irish-born Bishop of St. Louis – and completed under the leadership of Archbishop John May, every impressive inch of the Cathedral is used to tell the story of salvation and the history of the Catholic faith lived in St. Louis. Work on the Cathedral mosaics would not be completed for 60 years. The Cathedral of St. Louis was designated a "Basilica" in 1997 on the 150th anniversary of the archdiocese.
St. Louis Preparatory Seminary in the countryside which is now the St. Louis suburb of Shrewsbury was completed in 1931. Later it became Cardinal Glennon College and in 2015 it is home to 125+ from St. Louis and other dioceses all over the world. Today it is called Kenrick-Glennon Seminary.
In January 1999, the archdiocese was host to a two-day visit from Pope John Paul II, the first time a pope had visited the city. It was not John Paul's first visit, since 30 years earlier, he had paid a visit when he was Cardinal Wojtyła, Archbishop of Kraków.
The following is a list of the bishops and archbishops of St. Louis, and coadjutors and auxiliary bishops of St. Louis; and their years of service.
There are two Eastern Rite churches and one Eastern Rite Cathedral within the archdiocese's boundaries:
There are 12 Archdiocesan and 15 private Catholic high schools:
†Archdiocesan high schools that are owned and operated by the Archdiocese.
The Archdiocese Office of Catholic Cemeteries operates 17 cemeteries in the region, including:
Andrew Bernardo Schierhoff (February 10, 1922 – December 1, 1986) was a Roman Catholic bishop who served as the Auxiliary Bishop of La Paz, Bolivia.Barat Academy
Barat Academy is an independent, religious college preparatory school, in Chesterfield, Missouri for grades 9-12. It is in the Roman Catholic Archdiocese of Saint Louis, but is the first co-educational completely independent Catholic high school in the state of Missouri. Barat Academy's mascot is an eagle and its colors are red and white.Bishop DuBourg High School
Bishop DuBourg High School is a private, Roman Catholic high school in St. Louis, Missouri. It is located in the Roman Catholic Archdiocese of Saint Louis.Cardinal Ritter College Prep High School
Cardinal Ritter College Prep High School is a private, Roman Catholic high school in St. Louis, Missouri. It is located in the Roman Catholic Archdiocese of Saint Louis.Charles Roman Koester
Charles R. Koester (September 16, 1915 – December 24, 1997) was an American Bishop of the Catholic Church. He served as an auxiliary bishop of the Archdiocese of St. Louis from 1971-1991.Edward M. Rice
Edward Matthew Rice (born July 28, 1960) is an American prelate who is the bishop of the Diocese of Springfield-Cape Girardeau in Missouri. He was named Bishop of Springfield-Cape Girardeau by Pope Francis on April 26, 2016, and was installed on June 1, 2016. Rice previously served as auxiliary bishop of the Roman Catholic Archdiocese of St. Louis from 2010 to 2016.John Nicholas Wurm
John Nicholas Wurm (December 6, 1927 – April 27, 1984) served as the fifth Bishop of Belleville, Illinois.Joseph Melcher
Joseph Melcher (March 19, 1806 – December 20, 1873) was an Austrian-born prelate of the Roman Catholic Church who served as the first Bishop of the Diocese of Green Bay, Wisconsin.Kenrick–Glennon Seminary
Kenrick–Glennon Seminary (officially Saint Louis Roman Catholic Theological Seminary) is a private Roman Catholic Seminary in Shrewsbury, Missouri. The seminary is named after Archbishop Peter Richard Kenrick and Cardinal John J. Glennon, former Archbishops of Saint Louis. The seminary traces its origins to the early nineteenth century. Since that time the locally well-known institution has provided education and formation to seminarians for ordination to the sacred priesthood for many Catholic archdioceses and dioceses.
The seminary maintains a graduate and undergraduate division, namely, Kenrick School of Theology and Cardinal Glennon College, respectively. Kenrick School of Theology also operates a Pre-Theology program for men who already have an undergraduate degree but need the required thirty undergraduate hours of philosophy prior to entry into the graduate division of the seminary. Kenrick School of Theology grants the Master of Divinity Degree (M.Div.) and the Master of Arts Degree in Theology (M.A.), and Cardinal Glennon College grants the Bachelor of Arts (B.A.) in Philosophy.Leo Christopher Byrne
Leo Christopher Byrne (March 19, 1908 – October 21, 1974) served as the Roman Catholic Coadjutor Archbishop of the Roman Catholic Archdiocese of Saint Paul and Minneapolis, in Minneapolis-Saint Paul, Minnesota.Leo John Steck
Leo John Steck (August 30, 1898 - June 19, 1950) was a bishop of the Catholic Church in the United States. He served as auxiliary bishop of the Diocese of Salt Lake City from 1948-1950.Luis Morgan Casey
Luis Morgan Casey (June 23, 1935) is a Roman Catholic bishop who served as the Auxiliary Bishop of La Paz, Bolivia.Sacred Heart Roman Catholic Church (Ozora, Missouri)
Sacred Heart Roman Catholic Church is a Roman Catholic Church in Ozora in Ste. Genevieve County, Missouri.St. Elizabeth Academy (St. Louis)
St. Elizabeth Academy was a private, Roman Catholic high school in St. Louis, Missouri. It was located in the Roman Catholic Archdiocese of Saint Louis.St. James Roman Catholic Church (Crosstown, Missouri)
St. James Catholic Church is a Catholic church in Crosstown, Missouri. It is operated as a mission church of the parish of St. Vincent de Paul in Perryville. It is under the jurisdiction of the Ste. Genevieve Deanery of the Archdiocese of St. Louis.St. Joseph's Academy (St. Louis)
St. Joseph's Academy is a private, all-girls, Roman Catholic, college preparatory high school in Frontenac, Missouri, a suburb of St. Louis. It is located in the Roman Catholic Archdiocese of Saint Louis. The school is sponsored by the Sisters of St. Joseph of Carondelet.The Nativity of the Blessed Virgin Mary, Roman Catholic Church (Belgique, Missouri)
The Nativity of the Blessed Virgin Mary Church was a Roman Catholic church in Belgique, Missouri.Trinity Catholic High School (St. Louis)
Trinity Catholic High School is a private, Roman Catholic high school in St. Louis, Missouri, USA. It is located in the Roman Catholic Archdiocese of Saint Louis.Valle Catholic High School
Valle Catholic High School is a private, Roman Catholic high school in Sainte Genevieve, Missouri. It is located in the Roman Catholic Archdiocese of Saint Louis.
Roman Catholic Archdiocese of St. Louis
Roman Catholic Ecclesiastical Province of St. Louis