Rochester is a city in Strafford County, New Hampshire, United States. As of the 2010 census, the city population was 29,752, and in 2017 the estimated population was 30,797. The city includes the villages of East Rochester, Gonic, and North Rochester. Rochester is home to Skyhaven Airport.
Rochester, New Hampshire
View of downtown Rochester from Central Square
The Lilac City
|• Mayor||Caroline McCarley|
|• City Council|
|• City Manager||Daniel Fitzpatrick|
|• Total||45.8 sq mi (118.5 km2)|
|• Land||45.4 sq mi (117.6 km2)|
|• Water||0.3 sq mi (0.9 km2)|
|Elevation||225 ft (69 m)|
| • Estimate |
|• Density||678/sq mi (261.9/km2)|
|Time zone||UTC−5 (EST)|
|• Summer (DST)||UTC−4 (EDT)|
|GNIS feature ID||0869554|
Rochester was once inhabited by Abenaki Indians of the Pennacook tribe. They fished, hunted and farmed, moving locations when their agriculture exhausted the soil for growing pumpkins, squash, beans and maize. Gonic was called Squanamagonic, meaning "the water of the clay place hill."
The town was one of four granted by Colonial Governor Samuel Shute of Massachusetts and New Hampshire during his brief term. Incorporated in 1722, it was named for his close friend, Laurence Hyde, Earl of Rochester and brother-in-law to King James II. As was customary, tall white pine trees were reserved for use as masts by the Royal Navy. But hostility with the Abenaki delayed settlement until 1728, although attacks would continue until 1748. Early dwellings clustered together for protection, beginning near Haven Hill. Due to warfare or disease, after 1749 Native American numbers dwindled, although many descendants remain in or around Rochester communities. The community at that time included Farmington, which would be incorporated in 1798, and Milton, in 1802.
In 1737, the Reverend Amos Main became the first settled pastor of the Congregational Church, located on Rochester Hill. The building would be moved to Rochester Common, which then encompassed 250 acres (1.0 km2) and was called Norway Plain Mille Common after its abundant Norway pines. At the time, the Common extended into what is now downtown Rochester. By 1738, the farming community contained 60 families. A statue of Parson Main, sculpted by Giuseppe Moretti, today presides over the town square.
By 1780 the area surrounding the Common was the most thickly settled part of town, so a meeting house/church was erected on the east end of the Common with the entrance facing what is now South Main Street. A cemetery was also established near the new meeting house, but the ground was found to be too wet, and the bodies were removed to the Old Rochester Cemetery. In 1842 the Meeting House/church was moved to the present-day location at the corner of Liberty and South Main streets. As the years went by the size of the Common would shrink as more of it was sold off for development. A bandstand was constructed in 1914. Today, the Common is used for community activities such as Memorial Day events and for concerts throughout the summer months, in addition to having a walking track.
During the Revolutionary War the Common was used as the meeting place for soldiers before going off to war. The common is also the location of the city's Civil War monument which bears the names of the 54 men who died then. The monument was dedicated in the 1870s, and in the 1880s the statue was added to the monument. Four Civil War cannons also decorated the monument, but during World War II the cannon were melted down for use in the war. They were replaced by World War II guns.
The bandstand was built in 1914 by Miles Dustin; before then band concerts were held on the square. The flag pole was donated by J. Frank Place in 1917. He was the former publisher of the Rochester Courier.
In 1750, Rochester voted at a town meeting to establish a public school to teach writing and reading to the town's children. The vote was quickly overturned, which violated state laws mandating schools in each community. In 1752 the first public schooling began. The school lasted for 16 weeks and the school master was named John Forst. He was paid a salary of 15 pounds and boarded with a different family each month (this family received 30 cents a week from the city).
For many years the city followed the pattern of the first school by opening one and closing it shortly after. Eventually the citizens realized a school was necessary but funding one was an issue. In 1783 the state demanded that schools were opened permanently or else the state would penalize them. A year later permanent schools were established. Corporal punishment was commonly used by the school masters.
In 1806 the school system was divided into districts in accordance with the state law, which was passed in 1805. This system of districts remained in place until 1884 when laws regarding districts changed. The schools in this system often lacked the necessary educational materials. Eventually the number of students attending school across the state diminished. This led to the abolishment of this system because communities across the state including Rochester had many schools with extremely low numbers of students.
In 1850 the city voted to allow high schools and the funding of them. However money wasn't actually raised for high schools until 1868. The first high school did not open until 1857. The principal and teacher was William A. Kimball. At that time a school year lasted for 22 weeks. High school attendance was relatively low and most dropped out before graduating.
Mail service was established in 1768 when a post rider traveled from Portsmouth through Berwick, Dover and Rochester bringing gazettes. In 1792 this improved when Joseph Paine would deliver and pick up mail once a week. When he arrived in town a horn would blow to inform the town of his presence. A regular post office was established on March 26, 1812, in the Barke Tavern. The first postmaster in Rochester was William Barker.
The first large business was lumbering, although it would be overtaken by other industries as Rochester developed into a mill town with the Cochecho River to provide water power. In 1806, 6 tanneries were operating, along with a sawmill, fulling mill, and 2 gristmills. By the 1820s-1830s, the town had a cabinet maker and clockmaker. The Mechanics Company was established in 1834, producing woolen blankets which would win the premium quality award at the 1853 New York World's Fair. The Norway Plains Woolen Company manufactured blankets used by the Union Army in the Civil War, and in 1870 wove 1,600,000 yards (1,500,000 m) of textiles, but by century's end was out of business. Shoe manufacturing had surpassed textiles as Rochester's dominant industry by 1880.
In 1854, the E.G. & E. Wallace Shoe Company was established, eventually becoming the city's largest employer, with over 700 workers in 1901. Its name changed to the Rochester Shoe Corporation in the 1920s. The Wallace brothers died in the 1890s, and other shoe factories opened, including Perkins, Linscott & Company (later the Linscott, Tyler, Wilson Company) off Wakefield Street and N. B. Thayer & Company, Inc., in East Rochester. In the early twentieth century, more people were employed in shoe manufacturing than in all other local industries combined. Rochester contributed to New Hampshire′s position as the nation′s third largest shoe-producing state. The Kessel Fire Brick Company was established in 1889, and at one time bricks for new buildings at Harvard University were made in Gonic. Carrying the freight were four railroads which once passed through Rochester, a major junction between Haverhill, Massachusetts and Portland, Maine. Agriculture continued to be important, and in 1875 the Rochester Fair was established. In 1891, Rochester was incorporated as a city.
The first telephone was installed in 1885 in the K.C. Sanborn Drug Store, the phone was connected to the Dover Telephone Exchange. By the early 1900s there were 1200 local calls and 400 toll calls a day made from Rochester.
In 1889 and 1900 Jonas Spaulding and his three sons Leon, Huntley, and Rolland, built a leatherboard mill at North Rochester. Jonas died before the mill became operational but his three sons ran it well in copartnership and expanded the company nationally and internationally. Leon Cummings Spaulding served as the J Spaulding and Sons Company president after his father's death.
During the Great Depression, however, several industries left for cheaper operating conditions in the South or went bankrupt. But the affluent mill era left behind fine architecture, including the Rochester Public Library, a Carnegie Library designed by the Concord architects Randlett & Griffin.
The Rochester Public Library was approved in 1893 but was not open to the public until early 1894. Back then, the library was located on the corner of Portland Street and South Main Street. In 1897, the library moved to City Hall, where it remained for over eight years.
In the early 1900s, Osman Warren, Rochester's postmaster, contacted Andrew Carnegie for help in securing an endowment to build the new library. The Carnegie Institute donated $20,000 to construct the new building. The new library was built on the site of what was the Main Street School. The library was built in the Georgian revival style, using brick and granite, and the inside was finished with golden oak and cypress. The library opened on October 2, 1905, and 150 people registered the first day. Miss Lillian Parshley was the first librarian, serving until her death in 1945. Velma Foss, Miss Parshley's assistant, was the second librarian of the Rochester Library.
Another notable structure is Rochester City Hall, built in 1908, and Opera House designed by George G. Adams. Adams designed other municipal government/opera house dual-purpose buildings around New England, including in Bellows Falls, Vermont (1887); Amesbury, Massachusetts (1887); Dover, New Hampshire (1891); and Derry, New Hampshire (1901). Only four of his structures survive today (in Waterville, Montpelier, Derry, and Rochester), with many of his buildings destroyed by fires.
George Adams' opera houses were unique because of their floors, which were movable and could function in both inclined or level position. With the floor in the inclined position, the opera house would show plays, concerts, etc. When the floor was level, the building could be used for dances or public meetings. The Rochester Opera House opened on Memorial Day 1908. Almost all of Adams' buildings contained movable floors, though the buildings in Waterville and Montpelier did not. Because of the destruction of the other opera houses, the Rochester Opera House is the only known theatre in the United States to use this type of movable floor.
Rochester City Hall contained the Rochester Police Department in its basement offices for many years. Some historical portraits of officers remain in an upstairs chamber where a collection of portraits of city officials was traditionally preserved, including officers Nelson S. Hatch and Red Hayes.
Today, visitors may still attend shows at the Rochester Opera House. The City of Rochester has preserved the 90-year-old historical decor of the Opera House.
Rochester′s thriving shoe industry in the early twentieth century attracted entrepreneurs from out of state. In 1930 Samuel J. Katz of Brookline, Massachusetts, incorporated the Hubbard Shoe Company and commenced operations in N. B. Thayer & Company′s factory on Pleasant Street in East Rochester before the end of the year. By 1931 the firm had also taken over the Linscott, Tyler, Wilson factory off Wakefield Street in Rochester, which it purchased outright in May 1932. At its peak, the Hubbard Shoe Company employed about four hundred people in East Rochester making men′s shoes and five hundred in Rochester making women′s shoes, with a total annual payroll of $3 million and total annual output of 2.5 million shoes. In 1934 the Maybury Shoe Company began operations on the former E.G. & E. Wallace site on South Main Street. Both firms survived the Great Depression, providing steady jobs for hundreds of Rochester citizens, and converted to a wartime footing during World War Two, but were unable to compete against the flood of cheap foreign imports in the 1970s. Hubbard Shoe Company went out of business in 1973, and Maybury Shoe closed in the mid-1970s. Samuel Katz′s son Saul, however, went on to found the profitable Rockport Shoe Company with his son, Bruce R. Katz.
Rochester passed out of the silent movie era on May 20, 1929 with the arrival of the first talking motion picture in the city, titled The Wild Party, starring Clara Bow. The movie was shown at the Scenic Theater. The evening admission price was 35 cents for adults and 15 cents for children.
A Rochester Courier article from October 1930 described a new indoor golf course:
INDOOR GOLF COURSE TO BE OPENED ON SATURDAY
The Leavitt Theatre Property Transformed Inside Into a Bower of Beauty - Rochester is to have an indoor golf course, which, it is said, will be second to none, in beauty and attractiveness, this side of New York. Fred Couture, proprietor of the Scenic theatre, who a few months since purchased the Leavitt theatre on South Main Street, has been laying out a small fortune in fitting it up on the ground floor for such use. This building was formerly the residence of the Hon. Summer Wallace and was one of the most beautiful mansions in New Hampshire. Despite the way in which the outside was altered to make the theatre, much of the magnificent paneling inside has been preserved. It was a foundation for an unusual setting for indoor golf. A large force of workers has been engaged in recent weeks, working in relays, and this week six scene painters are decorating the walls and ceilings. There are to be an Egyptian room, a Japanese room, an Indian room and a Dutch room. The walls of each are adorned with appropriate paintings to form a picture of any particular land represented. The Dutch room, for example, not only has the paintings of the canals and dikes but an actual windmill revolving. In the Indian room are pictures of forests and streams, with an Indian paddling a canoe. There is a real waterfall too, with the water flowing down over actual rocks into a series of three basins, with a pool for goldfish at the bottom. One room represents the seashore, the entire wall being one huge painting of the ocean, with a real light house perched up on a promontory, with a light shedding forth its rays. There is also a garden room with a profusion of flowers. There are various rest rooms and seats in plenty everywhere for the onlookers or tired players. All the floors will be covered with artificial grass. In a conspicuous place is a great pile of stones, with a fountain at the top, out of which a tiny stream trickles down over the rocks in various small channels and little pools. Ferns grow on its sides. There are also in various places tree trunks, some birch with their white bark and other varieties. There will be eighteen holes to the golf course, with various traps and some mysteries. The whole place is certainly a wonderful representation of the great out-of-doors and a veritable dream of loveliness. The grand opening is set for Saturday evening at 6:00, when Mayor Louis H. McDuffee will press the button and turn on the lights.
The summer of 1947 was dry. In late October of that year only 1/8 inch of rain had fallen since mid-September, and the temperatures were high. Small ponds and streams were dried up, and local farmers were using water from the Salmon Falls River and Cocheco River to provide water for their livestock. Fire risk was high. On October 21, sparks from a passing train car in Farmington ignited the dry grass on both sides of the track, starting the biggest fire to strike Rochester.
At first firefighters seemed to have the fire in control, but two days later winds up to 60 miles per hour (97 km/h) drove the 'small' fire out of control. The wind-driven fire moved to the south and east into Rochester. The fire would engulf an area over 9 miles (14 km) long and over 2 miles (3.2 km) wide with walls of flame 40 feet (12 m) high. Before the fire was under control over 30 homes in Rochester would be lost.
Hurricane Carol struck New Hampshire on September 2, 1954. The winds of the hurricane were in excess of 90 miles per hour (140 km/h). The property damage in New Hampshire was estimated to be 3 million dollars and four inches of rain fell during the storm.
A Category 5 hurricane, known locally as the Hurricane of '38, was the most deadly of New Hampshire's history, causing excessive damage to Rochester and outlying communities. Hurricane Carol was a Category 3 storm, in comparison to the devastation caused by the previous hurricane.
According to the United States Census Bureau, the city has a total area of 45.8 square miles (118.6 km2), of which 45.4 square miles (117.6 km2) is land and 0.3 square miles (0.8 km2) is water, comprising 0.79% of the town. Rochester is drained by the Salmon Falls, Isinglass and Cochecho rivers. The highest point in Rochester is a southern extension of Nute Ridge, at 581 feet (177 m) above sea level, occupying the northern corner of the city.
New Hampshire Route 16 (the Spaulding Turnpike) is a controlled-access highway that passes through the city, leading north towards Conway and south to Dover and Portsmouth. U.S. Route 202 uses the turnpike to bypass the city center, then heads northeast into Maine and southwest towards Concord. New Hampshire Route 125 passes north-south through the center of town, leading south to Lee and Epping, and traveling north parallel to NH 16 into Milton. New Hampshire Route 11 leads west to Alton and Laconia and northeast along US 202 into Maine. New Hampshire Route 108 leads southeast to Dover, and New Hampshire Route 202A leads southwest to Strafford and Northwood.
Besides the main downtown part of Rochester, there are two other named communities of significance within the city limits. East Rochester, a small neighborhood, is located near the northeast border of the city along routes 202 and 11, next to the Salmon Falls River, while Gonic Native American name of Squamennegonic, is located south of downtown along NH 125 at a dam on the Cocheco River.
|U.S. Decennial Census|
As of the census of 2010, there were 29,752 people, 12,378 households, and 7,936 families residing in the town. There were 13,372 housing units, of which 994, or 7.4%, were vacant. The racial makeup of the town was 95.4% white, 0.8% African American, 0.3% Native American, 1.2% Asian, 0.1% Native Hawaiian or Pacific Islander, 0.4% some other race, and 1.7% from two or more races. 1.8% of the population were Hispanic or Latino of any race.
Of the 12,378 households, 29.9% had children under the age of 18 living with them, 46.8% were headed by married couples living together, 12.2% had a female householder with no husband present, and 35.9% were non-families. 27.8% of all households were made up of individuals, and 10.6% were someone living alone who was 65 years of age or older. The average household size was 2.38, and the average family size was 2.89.
In the town, 22.0% of the population were under the age of 18, 7.6% were from 18 to 24, 26.2% from 25 to 44, 29.3% from 45 to 64, and 14.8% were 65 years of age or older. The median age was 40.7 years. For every 100 females, there were 93.5 males. For every 100 females age 18 and over, there were 89.6 males.
For the period 2011-2015, the estimated median annual income for a household was $46,979, and the median income for a family was $59,519. Male full-time workers had a median income of $42,948 versus $34,688 for females. The per capita income for the town was $26,580. 13.2% of the population and 12.3% of families were below the poverty line. 22.2% of the population under the age of 18 and 8.8% of those 65 or older were living in poverty.
Allard Baird (; born November 8, 1961) is an American professional baseball executive for the New York Mets of Major League Baseball (MLB), currently vice president and assistant general manager for scouting and player development. Baird previously held executive positions with the Kansas City Royals and Boston Red Sox.Daniel Lothrop
Daniel Lothrop (August 11, 1831 – March 18, 1892) was an American publisher.Dave Lucey
David J. Lucey (January 20, 1915 – February 20, 1997) was an American football player and coach and a civil servant who served as Massachusetts Registrar of Motor Vehicles from 1972-1974.
Lucey played football for the Boston College Eagles from 1937-1939. He was a member of the Eagles team that played in the 1940 Cotton Bowl. After graduation, Lucey accepted the position of head football coach at Saugus High School in Saugus, Massachusetts. In 1947, he returned to Boston College as an assistant football coach. After one season he was named Director of Public Relations. He also coached at Peabody Veterans Memorial High School, St. Mary's High School, and St. John's Preparatory School.Lucey was a friend and fundraiser for Governor Francis W. Sargent. From 1971 to 1972, Lucey was a member of the State Appellate Tax Board. He was the Massachusetts Registrar of Motor Vehicles from 1972 until his retirement in 1974East Rochester, New Hampshire
East Rochester is a neighborhood within the city of Rochester, New Hampshire, United States, located on the banks of the Salmon Falls River which separates Maine from New Hampshire. Home to approximately 5,000 residents, the community is located 3 miles (5 km) east of Rochester proper, and is one of two villages (the other being Gonic) within city limits.
The area was a farming community which developed into a small textile and shoe manufacturing mill town during the Industrial Revolution. The Abenaki people called the area's river Newichawannock, meaning "river with many falls", which in the 19th century became the source of water power for two mills. The first was called the Cocheco Woolen Manufacturing Company, with the second smaller one built upstream and called the White Mill. Between the 1880s and 1920s, "Eastside" (as it is referred to by locals) achieved its maximum growth. It was served by the Nashua & Rochester Railroad, which later became part of the Boston & Maine Railroad. Called "Rindgemere", the depot was located on Autumn Street. But during the Great Depression, the mills began to decline, and finally folded in the 1970s. With its principal employers gone, East Rochester slipped in its quality of life. More recently, however, the district has enjoyed a rebirth. Located near major routes and industrial centers, its small village ambience has attracted new residents, and several beautiful Victorian buildings have been restored. East Rochester gets a good percentage of local business from just across the border in Lebanon, Maine.
East Rochester consists of a main street with several small shops and a shopping center known as Shoreyville Plaza, named after the original settlement in the area. Also on Main Street are two churches and a small library. In recent years, the old fire station (1902 till the early 1980s) has been converted into a museum, as fire services are now obtained from the main station in Rochester. A three-story block located on Main Street once housed the post office and a clothing store until the early 1980s, when the post office moved into a two-story brick block further north on Main Street. The area no longer has its post office, but East Rochester still has its own ZIP code (03868).Front Row Wrestling
Front Row Wrestling is an American independent professional wrestling promotion located in Rochester, New Hampshire. It is one of the few New England-based promotions outside Massachusetts, such as Pro Wrestling America Live in Maine and Joel Gertner's MXW Pro Wrestling in Connecticut, and is the only wrestling promotion active in the state of New Hampshire. Founded by wrestler Scott C. Despres in 2003, it is the sister promotion of Eastern Wrestling Alliance and an affiliate of the National Wrestling Alliance. FRW has co-promoted events and hosted sanctioned title defenses of both promotions.
A number of Northeastern independent stars competed for FRW, including Brian Milonas, Chase Del Monte, Tommaso Ciampa, Johnny Handsome, "The Alpha Male" Justin Powers and Antonio "The Promise" Thomas. The promotion also has a small women's division, largely dominated by Sarah Blackheart, Mistress Belmont and Vanity Vixxxen, but also brought in Sara Del Rey, Mercedes Martinez, Ariel, Alere Little Feather and Awesome Kong. Matt Calamare, the only working deaf professional wrestling referee, also regularly appeared for the promotion.
On February 26, 2010, Despres announced the promotion would be forming a partnership with NWA Liberty States, formerly No Limit Pro, to promote wrestling events throughout New England under the banner of the National Wrestling Alliance.Granite State College
Granite State College is a public college in Concord, New Hampshire. It is a member of the University System of New Hampshire.Huntley N. Spaulding
Huntley Nowel Spaulding (October 30, 1869 – November 14, 1955) was an American manufacturer and Republican politician from Rochester, New Hampshire. He served as Governor of New Hampshire (1927–1929). In addition, he was notable for his philanthropy in health and education.James Farrington
James Farrington (October 1, 1791 – October 29, 1859) was an American physician, banker and politician from New Hampshire. He served as a member of the United States House of Representatives, the New Hampshire Senate and the New Hampshire House of Representatives in the early 1800s.John Hanson Twombly
John Hanson Twombly was a Methodist minister and the fourth president of the University of Wisconsin. He was known as an advocate for co-education and women's education, which led to tensions with the university regents and, ultimately, his ouster.John O. Whitehouse
John Osborne Whitehouse (July 19, 1817 – August 24, 1881) was a U.S. Representative from New York.
Born in Rochester, New Hampshire, Whitehouse received a common-school education.
He moved to New York City in 1835 and was engaged as a clerk until 1839, when he moved to Brooklyn, New York, and engaged as a merchant and manufacturer of shoes.
He moved to Poughkeepsie, New York, in 1860 and continued the shoe manufacturing business.
Whitehouse was elected as a Democrat to the Forty-third and Forty-fourth Congresses (March 4, 1873 – March 3, 1877).
He served as chairman of the Committee on Reform in the Civil Service (Forty-fourth Congress).
He was not a candidate for reelection in 1876 to the Forty-fifth Congress.
He resumed the shoe manufacturing business.
He was also interested in banking and railroading.
He was owner of the Daily News 1872–1880.
He died in Poughkeepsie, New York, August 24, 1881.
He was interred in Green-Wood Cemetery, Brooklyn, New York.John P. Hale
John Parker Hale (March 31, 1806 – November 19, 1873) was an American politician and lawyer from New Hampshire. He served in the United States House of Representatives from 1843 to 1845 and in the United States Senate from 1847 to 1853 and again from 1855 to 1865. He began his Congressional career as a Democrat, but helped establish the anti-slavery Free Soil Party and eventually joined the Republican Party.
Born in Rochester, New Hampshire, Hale established a legal practice in Dover, New Hampshire after graduating from Bowdoin College. Hale won election to the New Hampshire House of Representatives in 1832 and served as the United States Attorney for New Hampshire under President Andrew Jackson and President Martin Van Buren. He won election to the United States House of Representatives in 1842 but was denied the party's nomination in 1844 due to his opposition to the annexation of Texas. After losing his seat, he continued to campaign against slavery and won election to the Senate in 1846 as an Independent Democrat. In the Senate, he strongly opposed the Mexican–American War and continued to speak against slavery.
Hale helped establish the anti-slavery Free Soil Party and was a candidate for the party's presidential nomination in 1848, but the 1848 Free Soil Convention instead nominated former President Van Buren. He won the party's presidential nomination in 1852, receiving 4.9% of the popular vote in the general election. After the passage of the Kansas–Nebraska Act, Hale joined the nascent Republican Party and returned to the Senate. He served until 1865, at which point he accepted an appointment from President Abraham Lincoln to serve as the Minister to Spain. He held that post until he was recalled in April 1869, at which point he retired from public office.Jonathan P. Cushing
Jonathan Peter Cushing (March 12, 1793 – April 25, 1835) was the fifth president of Hampden–Sydney College.North Rochester, New Hampshire
North Rochester is a community in the city of Rochester, New Hampshire, United States, and is the site of the third leatherboard mill built by Jonas Spaulding. Jonas' sons were Leon C., Huntley N. and Rolland H., of whom Huntley N. and Rolland H. would serve as governors of New Hampshire.Salmon Falls River
The Salmon Falls River is a tributary of the Piscataqua River in the U.S. states of Maine and New Hampshire. It rises at Great East Lake, Newichawannock Canal, and Horn Pond and flows south-southeast for approximately 38 miles (61 km), forming the border between York County, Maine, and Strafford County, New Hampshire.The Salmon Falls River joins the Cochecho River near Dover, New Hampshire to form the Piscataqua River.It provides hydroelectric power at the New Hampshire towns of Milton, North Rochester, East Rochester, New Hampshire, Somersworth, and Rollinsford, and in Maine at Berwick and South Berwick. The final three miles of the river, from South Berwick to the Piscataqua, are tidal.
Local Abenaki Indians called the river Newichawannock, meaning "river with many falls". See Newichawannock CanalSamuel D. Felker
Samuel Demeritt Felker (April 16, 1859 – November 14, 1932) was an American lawyer and Democratic politician from Rochester, New Hampshire.Spaulding High School (New Hampshire)
Spaulding High School is a public co-educational high school in Rochester, New Hampshire, United States. It is part of the city of Rochester School Department and is located at 130 Wakefield Street. Spaulding High School was built in 1939, and the addition of the Richard W. Creteau Center was completed in 1990. Along with the addition in 1990, the original building was extensively renovated.
The school has a student population of more than 1,500 students in grades 9-12. Students are offered a broad curriculum, with a strong focus on high academic standards in all areas. Academics are complemented by a full range of extracurricular activities including drama, sports, music, and vocational clubs and planned social events.
Spaulding is accredited by the New England Association of Schools and Colleges and is approved by the New Hampshire Department of Education.
Spaulding's mascot is the Red Raider. In 2015 the mascot came under public scrutiny after claims of cultural appropriation were made by Renee Napolitano of Rochester, who started a movement to change the mascot to something more widely accepted.WPKX (AM)
WPKX (930 kHz "Fox Sports 930") is a commercial AM radio station licensed to Rochester, New Hampshire that broadcasts a sports radio format, largely supplied from Fox Sports Radio. The station is owned by iHeartMedia, Inc. and serves the Portsmouth-Dover-Rochester media market, also heard in Southern Maine. WPKX broadcasts at 5000 watts around the clock from a transmitter off Route 108 in Rochester. To protect other stations on 930 kHz, WPKX uses a directional antenna at night.WQSO
WQSO (96.7 MHz) is a commercial FM radio station licensed to Rochester, New Hampshire. The station is owned by iHeartMedia, Inc. and airs a Talk radio format serving the Portsmouth-Dover-Rochester media market which also includes part of Southern Maine.Wilfred Hudson Osgood
Wilfred Hudson Osgood (December 8, 1875 – June 20, 1947) was an American zoologist.
Places adjacent to Rochester, New Hampshire
Municipalities and communities of Strafford County, New Hampshire, United States
|Cities and towns|
|Cities and towns|
|Cities and towns|