The River Taf (Welsh: Afon Taf) is a river in West Wales. It rises in the Preseli Hills of north Pembrokeshire and flows approximately 50 km (30 mi) through Carmarthenshire to Carmarthen Bay. It is one of three rivers, along with the River Gwendraeth and River Towy, to enter the sea on the east side of Carmarthen Bay.
Water drains from high ground above the village of Crymych in Pembrokeshire, and at one time flowed at ground level across the main Cardigan–Tenby road (A478) before falling to the level of the defunct Whitland and Cardigan Railway station Crymmych Arms (Great Western Railway) where, on the UK Ordnance Survey map of 1866 it is shown as the source of the Taf.
At this point the stream fulfils its description "Crymych" (in Welsh "crooked stream") by turning through almost a right angle along the floor of the valley. The stream is mentioned—with various spellings—in records since 1468 and provided both the village and its hostelry with an identity. From there the Taf, augmented by numerous minor tributaries, flows ESE to Llanfyrnach then SW through Glandwr, Llanglydwen and Login to Whitland. It then flows east to St Clears, south of which its broad estuary meets Carmarthen Bay near Laugharne. Its length is about 56 km (35 mi) from Crymych to Ginst Point, of which about 14 km (9 mi) is tidal.
Not to be confused with the Afon Marlais which is a tributary of the River Tâf nor the Afon Marlas, a tributary of the River Loughor.
The Afon Marlais is a right-bank tributary of the Afon Cothi in Carmarthenshire, West Wales. It rises on the slopes of Mynydd Llanfihangel-rhos-y-corn and Mynydd Tre-beddau and flows south-eastwards through Brechfa Forest before reaching the village of Brechfa. After a further kilometre it joins the Cothi immediately downstream of Pont Ynys-Brechfa.Afon Marlais, Pembrokeshire
Not to be confused with the Afon Marlais which is a tributary of the River Towy nor the Afon Marlas, a tributary of the River Loughor.The Afon Marlais is a right-bank tributary of the River Tâf in Pembrokeshire, West Wales. It flows through the Vale of Lampeter to join the Tâf just west of Whitland. The name derives from the Welsh 'marw glais' and signifies a 'stagnant stream'.Afon Marlas
Not to be confused with the Afon Marlais which is a tributary of the River Tâf nor the Afon Marlais, a tributary of the River Towy.The Afon Marlas is a right-bank tributary of the River Loughor in eastern Carmarthenshire, West Wales. It rises north of the village of Llandybie and flows southwards through that village and joins the Loughor on the northwestern edge of Ammanford near Aberlash Mill.Cantref Gwarthaf (Dyfed)
Cantref Gwarthaf was the largest of the seven cantrefi of Dyfed in southwest Wales. It subsequently became part of Deheubarth in around 950. It consisted of the southeastern part of Dyfed containing most of the basin of the River Tâf, parts of modern-day Pembrokeshire and Carmarthenshire.
The name means "upper-most zone". Its area was about 631 km2. Unlike the other Dyfed cantrefi which were divided into two (or fewer) commotes, Cantref Gwarthaf was divided into eight commotes: Amgoed, Derllys, Efelfre, Elfed, Penrhyn, Peuliniog, Talacharn, and Ystlwys. Its civil headquarters were at Carmarthen. Its ecclesiastical centre (and perhaps, in the Age of the Saints, the seat of a bishop) was probably also Carmarthen, although the churches at Llanddowror and Meidrim were also important.
The cantref was made part of the Norman March in the 12th century. Marcher Boroughs were established at Carmarthen, Llansteffan, Laugharne and St Clears, and many other castles were built. The commotes of Talacharn and Penrhyn became English-speaking at the time, but was subsequently re-cymricised (except for the coastal part of Talacharn). The rest of the cantref remained Welsh-speaking, as it continues today.
At the time of the Acts of Union (1535 and 1542), the cantref was split between the newly formed counties, when Efelfre became part of Narberth hundred, Pembrokeshire and the rest became part of Carmarthenshire: Amgoed, Penrhyn, Peuliniog, Talacharn, Ystlwys and part of Derllys became Derllys hundred, while Elfed and the rest of Derllys were combined with Emlyn Uwch Cuch and Gwidigada commote of Cantref Mawr to form Elfed hundred.Cilymaenllwyd
Cilymaenllwyd is a community on the extreme northwest of Carmarthenshire in Wales. The community population at the 2011 census was 743. It lies about 25 miles (40 km) west of Carmarthen, 12 miles (19 km) southeast of Fishguard and 19 miles (31 km) northwest of Haverfordwest. The A478 road runs through the community.Glandwr, Pembrokeshire
Glandwr is a small rural village in the parish of Llanfyrnach and the community of Crymych, Pembrokeshire, Wales. The village appears on a pre-1850 parish map as Glan-dwr. It is linked by unclassified roads to adjacent settlements and to the A478 road.Glandwr sits on the River Gafel, which joins the River Taf to the southeast, and is the location of Lammas Ecovillage.Laugharne
Laugharne (Welsh: Talacharn) is a town located on the south coast of Carmarthenshire, Wales, lying on the estuary of the River Tâf.
Laugharne is within the electoral ward and community of Laugharne Township (Welsh: Treflan Lacharn) The population at the 2011 census was 1,222.The ward includes Laugharne, the village of Pendine and Pendine Sands. It was the civil parish corresponding to the marcher borough of Laugharne. A predominantly English-speaking area, just south of the Landsker Line, it is bordered by the communities of Llanddowror, St Clears, Llangynog and Llansteffan.
Laugharne was the home of Dylan Thomas from 1949 until his death in 1953, and is thought to have been the inspiration for the fictional town of Llareggub in Under Milk Wood, though topographically it is more similar to New Quay where Thomas mostly lived whilst he wrote the story.Laugharne Castle
Laugharne Castle (Welsh: Castell Talacharn) is a castle in the town of Laugharne in southern Carmarthenshire, Wales. It is located on the estuary of the River Tâf and was originally established in 1116. It was rebuilt as a Norman stronghold in 1215 and has seen many alterations over time, becoming a Tudor fortified manor house in the sixteenth century. It changed hands twice during the English Civil War, being eventually captured by Parliamentary forces in 1644.Llanddewi Velfrey
Llanddewi Velfrey or Llandewi Velfrey (also Llan-ddewi-vel-vre) (Welsh: Llanddewi Efelffre) is a village and community of Pembrokeshire in West Wales. Historically it was in the Narberth Hundred. The village is in Lampeter Vale, 2 miles northeast of Narbeth along the A40. In 1831 it had a population of 710 people.The village is situated in a rich and fertile vale, watered by the river Tâf, which separates the parish from that of Llangain in the county of Carmarthen. The lands are wholly enclosed and in a good state of cultivation, and the soil is eminently fertile.Llanfyrnach
Llanfyrnach (Welsh pronunciation) is a village, community and parish in Pembrokeshire, Wales. The village is in the electoral ward of Crymych. The village of Crymych and the hamlets of Hermon, Glandwr and Pentre Galar, are in Llanfyrnach parish. Llanfyrnach means the church of St Brynach.
Llanfyrnach village is in a remote upland area on the headwaters of the River Tâf, about 11 miles (18 km) from Cardigan.Llanvabon
As described in 1849, Llanvabon or Llanfabon was a parish in South Wales. It comprised two hamlets, in the union of Merthyr Tydfil, hundred of Caerphilly, county of Glamorgan, 9 miles (S. S. E.) from Merthyr Tydfil; containing 1449 inhabitants. A Topographical Dictionary of Wales (1849) described it as follows:
This parish is bounded on the west by the river Tâf, and on the east by the Romney; and comprises about 5000 acres, of which 1120 are arable, 2230 pasture, 1000 common, 500 woodland consisting chiefly of oak, and the remainder roads and water. The surface is in general mountainous; and the scenery picturesque, especially in the vicinity of the village of Craigyberthlwyd, from which the views are striking and beautiful. The soil comprehends gravel, clay, and peat, and the chief agricultural produce is wheat, barley, and oats, the last of which is grown in a larger quantity than either of the two former. Tiles for building are made, and there are excellent stone-quarries, and coal-mines, but they are not in operation to any great extent, the latter being chiefly on the border, and appropriated to the use of the neighbourhood only.
The greater part of the colliers of Gellygaer, an adjoining parish, live in Llanvabon. The ancient seat of the Lanbradach family is situated here; and besides the village above-named, the parish contains those of Quakers'-Yard and Nelson.
It is intersected by the road from Cardiff to Merthyr, which passes about two miles and a half westward from the church; and by the Glamorganshire canal, on the banks of which, within its limits, is situated the Navigation-House, where this important line of communication is joined by the Aberdare Canal, and where barges are loaded with coal and iron for the port of Cardiff. The TâfVale railway, also, passes by Quakers'-Yard and the Navigation-House, and is joined in this vicinity by the Aberdare railway, for the construction of which an act was obtained in 1846.
The living is consolidated with the vicarage of Eglwysilan: the tithes have been commuted for £270, of which a sum of £200 is payable to the Dean and Chapter of Llandaf, and £70 to the vicar. The church, dedicated to St. Mabon, is an ancient structure, consisting of a nave and chancel, forty-three feet in length and twentyone in breadth, and containing accommodation for about 120 persons. There are two places of worship for Calvinistic Methodists, two for Independents, and one for Baptists; in each of which a Sunday school is also held. James Thomas, in 1730, gave by will a rent-charge of £2 for the benefit of the poor, to be equally divided between those of each hamlet.Login, Carmarthenshire
The hamlet of Login lies in the valley and sits on both sides of the meandering River Tâf. A stone bridge crosses the river approximately 100 metres from a ford near the weir, which used to be the original crossing place. The postal address of Login covers a larger area than that bounded by the village signs. The district is called Cilymaenllwyd the main chapel for the region called 'Calfaria' is located in the village. The region of Login consists of streams and valleys and hills, with a sparsely populated community. 'Cardi Bach', (meaning "little Cardi") was the local name given to the Railway that once ran alongside the River Taf between the towns of Whitland & Cardigan. The railway was closed in 1963 under the Beeching initiative. The Landsker borderlands trail (which is a public route for walkers) passes through Login. Some of the members of the Rebbeca fraternity, active in the Rebecca riots, were resident in Login. One of the hills is named 'radical hill'; maybe this is in reference to the rebels, or perhaps it refers further back, to the stones deposited from the glaciers that once scoured this valley. The village is known for its wildlife: Herons, Kingfisher and Otter
are sometimes seen on the river. Red Kites and Owls occupy the air at different times of day and night, and several types of bats have been recorded at dusk and dawn.Penydarren Ironworks
Penydarren Ironworks was the fourth of the great ironworks established at Merthyr Tydfil in South Wales.
Built in 1784 by the brothers Samuel Homfray, Jeremiah Homfray, and Thomas Homfray, all sons of Francis Homfray of Stourbridge. Their father, Francis, for a time managed a nail warehouse there for Ambrose Crowley. Most of the family were involved in trade as ironmasters or ironmongers (in this context meaning a manufacturer of iron goods). Samuel built Penydarren House on the opposite bank of the River Taf, as a home for the family locally.
Because the owners of the Cyfarthfa Ironworks dominated the management of Glamorganshire Canal, the other Merthyr Tydfil ironworks built a tramroad to Abercynon, bypassing the upper sections of the canal. This "Penydarren Tramroad" (more correctly, the Merthyr Tramroad) was used for a trial of the first railway steam locomotive, built by Richard Trevithick. This successfully hauled wagons but was so heavy that it broke many rails. The engine was then used for other purposes as a stationary engine.
The business was financed by William Forman of the Tower of London, who provided all the capital, partly on mortgage but taking a share in it himself. Samuel Homfray left the business in 1813. In 1819, the partners were William Forman and William Thompson of London. William Forman offered the works for sale in 1859, and the Dowlais Iron Company bought the mineral ground. The works were used intermittently by various others until 1883. Some remains of the works can still be seen.River Cywyn
The River Cywyn (Welsh Afon Cywyn) is a river that flows through Carmarthenshire, south Wales. It rises some seven miles west-north-west of Carmarthen and flows in a southerly direction to join the River Tâf near its estuary.River Gwendraeth
The River Gwendraeth (Welsh: Afon Gwendraeth) is a river in Carmarthenshire in West Wales.
It has two almost equal branches that have their confluence in their joint estuary at Carmarthen Bay. The Gwendraeth Fawr (Large Gwendraeth in English) is surprisingly the smaller and has its source in a series of springs to the north of Cross Hands, the most northerly of which rises to the north of Gorslas in the Llyn Llech Owain Country Park, just above the 585-foot (180 m) contour. Below Cross Hands, it skirts the northern edge of Mynydd Mawr Woodland Park, and flows to the south of Drefach. It crosses the 160-foot (50 m) contour to pass through Pontyberem, Pont Henri and Pontyates, by which time it is less than 33 feet (10 m) above sea level. Finally, it passes to the south of Kidwelly, to enter the estuary.The Gwendraeth Fach (small Gwendraeth in Welsh) flows further to the north having its source about 4 miles north of Cross Hands near the 190-metre (620 ft) contour at Penrhiwgoch. Passing under the A48 road, it is soon below the 160-foot (50 m) contour, flowing in a south-westerly direction to the south of Llanddarog, Cwmisfael and Llangyndeyrn, before turning southwards through Mynyddygarreg. It reaches the estuary to the west of Kidwelly after passing through the town centre.The two branches follow almost parallel courses to the sea. The valleys of both rivers flow through a mixture of modestly steep coal mining communities and through the verdant agricultural land of Carmarthenshire.
When Thomas Kymer built his canal to carry coal from pits at Pwll y Llygod on the banks of the Gwendraeth Fawr to Ythyn Frenig, about half a mile to the west of Kidwelly on the southern bank of the Gwendraeth Fach, the authorising act of Parliament included powers to divert the course of the Gwendraeth Fawr from Pwll y Llygod to Pont Spwdwr, where the Kidwelly to Llanelli turnpike road crossed the river. The canal was built and operational by May 1768, and was later incorporated into the Kidwelly and Llanelly Canal. Although the route across the sands to the dock that he built was often affected by silting, it continued to be used for the export of coal long after the canal had been replaced by a railway. Coasters carried the cargo to Laugharne, Carmarthen, St Clears and Llanstephan, with the last recorded sailing bound for Llanstephan in the early 1920s.The most notable place of interest is Kidwelly Castle perched above the estuary of the Gwendraeth Fach. The Gwendraeth estuary widens rapidly before joining with the estuaries of the River Tywi and the River Tâf to form a three branched estuary.
To the south of the estuary are the great flat sands of Cefn Sidan and Pembrey, whilst across the estuary on the banks of the River Taf is Laugharne famed for its association with Dylan Thomas.
The SV Paul is one of the many shipwrecks in the vicinity of the Gwendraeth and the Cefn Sidan sands.
The two points enclosing the mouth of the Gwendraeth are Salmon Point Scar (northern side) and Tywyn Point (southern side).St Clears
St Clears ( KLAIRZ; Welsh: Sanclêr) is a small town and community on the River Tâf in Carmarthenshire, Wales. The population was 2,995 at the time of the 2011 census, most of whom are Welsh-speaking,
The community is bordered by the communities of: Meidrim; Newchurch and Merthyr; Llangynog; Laugharne Township; Llanddowror; Eglwyscummin; Llanboidy; and Llangynin, all being in Carmarthenshire.TAF
Taf may refer to:
River Taf, in South Wales, UK
Tav/Taf/Taph/Taw, the final letter of many Semitic alphabets
Modern Greek pronunciation of the letter TauWhitland
Whitland (Welsh: Hendy-gwyn, lit. "Old White House", or Hendy-gwyn ar Daf, "Old White House on the River Taf", both in reference to the medieval Ty Gwyn ar Daf) is a small town and a community in Carmarthenshire, Wales, lying on the River Tâf.Ysgol Gyfun Gymraeg Glantaf
Ysgol Gyfun Gymraeg Glantaf is a Welsh-medium coeducational secondary school in Llandaff North, a district in the north of Cardiff, Wales and is the largest of its kind in the country. The name 'Glantaf' means 'The bank of the river Taf' in Welsh. Of the three Welsh-medium secondary schools serving Cardiff, it was the first to be established (the others being Ysgol Gyfun Gymraeg Plasmawr and Ysgol Gyfun Gymraeg Bro Edern). Although all students speak Welsh and normally have received Welsh-language primary education, 68% (as of 2005) come from homes where Welsh is not the first language.