The River Ryton is a tributary of the River Idle. It rises close to the Chesterfield Canal near Kiveton Park, and is joined by a series of tributaries near Lindrick Common in the Metropolitan Borough of Rotherham, South Yorkshire, England. Most of its course is in Nottinghamshire, flowing through the town of Worksop. It meanders northwards to join the River Idle near the town of Bawtry on the South Yorkshire-Nottinghamshire border.
While much of its route is rural, its course through Worksop is man made, a result of development and milling. It used to flow through Scrooby, where there was a mill, but was diverted northwards in the 1960s. It supplies water to the Chesterfield Canal through two feeders, and a number of the bridges which cross it are of interest architecturally, which has resulted in them becoming Listed structures.
The water quality of the river is moderate, as a considerable proportion of the total flow is supplied by the processed water from sewage treatment works. Despite this, there are significant populations of fish in the river, and it is used for organised angling.
The Grade I listed Blyth New Bridge carries the A634 over the river.
|⁃ location||Several streams near Lindrick Common|
|⁃ elevation||260 feet (79 m)|
|River Idle, Bawtry|
|10 feet (3.0 m)|
|Length||21 miles (34 km)|
|⁃ left||Anston Brook, Oldcotes Dyke|
|⁃ right||Pudding Dyke, Bondhay Dyke|
The region through which the river flows is underlaid by an extensive water-bearing porous rock structure called the Magnesian Limestone aquifer, which is near the surface in the west and dips downwards to the east. Magnesian Limestone is so called because it contains quantities of the mineral Dolomite, which is rich in Magnesium. The Triassic Sherwood Sandstone aquifer is another porous rock layer which covers this to the east, and is the major geological component of the area. Further east, they are both covered by a layer of Mercia Mudstone. Where these aquifers reach the surface, they often supply water to the river system, but can also take water from it. This is affected by the extraction of groundwater, particularly for public water supply, and by fracturing of the aquifers as a result of subsidence caused by deep coal mining.
The Ryton draws its water from the Anston Brook, the Pudding Dyke, the Bondhay Dyke, and to a lesser extent the Broadbridge Dyke. Prior to the construction of the Chesterfield Canal in the 1770s, the flow of the Broadbridge Dyke was much greater, but water from its catchment area was diverted to form the reservoirs at Pebley and Harthill, which supply the canal. Overflow from the reservoirs reaches the Ryton by the Pudding Dyke, but the river also supplies water to the canal via the Brancliffe feeder and the Kilton feeder. The natural water sources are supplemented by the outflows from Dinnington and Anston Sewage Treatment Works into the Anston Brook, which together provide about 7 Ml/d (megalitres per day), while Kilton Treatment Works supplies about 12.8 Ml/d. At Manton, excess flow from the canal tops up the river, and water pumped from Manton Colliery formerly performed the same function. With the closure of the mine, a new borehole was constructed in 2004, and water is pumped from the Sherwood Sandstone aquifer into the river. The borehole is operated by Severn Trent Water.
In order to monitor flows on the river, the Environment Agency maintain gauging stations, one to the east of Worksop and a second to the east of Blyth at Craig y Nos. They also have one on Oldcotes dyke, just below Blyth Old Bridge. The catchment area above the Worksop gauging station is 29.7 square miles (77 km2) and the mean flow is 8.55 million gallons (38.88 Megalitres) per day. The catchment receives 25.8 inches (655 mm) of rainfall in an average year. Oldcoates Dyke contributes 12.92 million gallons (58.75 Ml) per day, and the flow at the Blyth gauging station amounts to 28.89 million gallons (131.3 Ml) per day, derived from a catchment area of 89 square miles (231 km2). This station has been operational since 1984. Previously, there was a gauging station a little further downstream at Serlby Park, but this was decommissioned in 1978, as the flow readings in the summer were not reliable. Data from the Blyth station is transmitted to the pumping station at West Stockwith, where it is used to control discharges from the River Idle into the River Trent.
Normal river levels at Worksop vary between 0.52 feet (0.16 m) and 0.92 feet (0.28 m), but when the weather is more extreme, can rise up to 3.43 feet (1.05 m). The highest level recorded at the gauging station was on 26 June 2007, when it reached 7.19 feet (2.19 m). At Craig y Nos, Blyth, the normal range is from 1.44 feet (0.44 m) and 2.53 feet (0.77 m), rising to 5.25 feet (1.60 m) in severe weather. The highest level recorded was on the same day as the Worksop station, when the river level reached 7.02 feet (2.14 m).
The River Ryton starts to the east of Kiveton Park, next to the Chesterfield Canal, close to the 260-foot (79 m) contour. It is accompanied by the Sheffied to Lincoln Railway line which crosses it three times, before its flow is supplemented by Pudding Dyke, flowing northwards from Thorpe Salvin. It passes under the railway again, and under the freight line from Worksop to Doncaster Railport. At Lindrick Dale, Anston Brook, flowing in from beyond Anston to the west, joins on the left bank. Shortly afterwards, the Brancliffe feeder leaves the river, following an 'S' shaped course to supply water to the Chesterfield Canal near Turner Wood locks. A little further east, it crosses under the Sheffield to Lincoln Line again and through a three-arched aqueduct below the Canal, to pass through Shireoaks. It then loops around the village of Rhodesia, crossing under the Worksop to Nottingham railway line and the A57 Worksop bypass to arrive on the western edge of Worksop.
In Worksop, the river was used to power mills for centuries. Three water mills were mentioned in a survey carried out in 1636, one near the present junction of Westgate and Newcastle Avenue, one called Priory Mill, and a third called Bracebridge mill. All had ceased to operate by 1826, but a new water mill had been constructed further to the west, near to the present junction of Newcastle Avenue and the A57 Worksop bypass. It was known as Beard's mill, after its owner Mr. Joseph Beard, and the mill pond was a hive of activity, being used as a skating rink in winter, and for fishing at other times of the year. More exotic activity recorded includes demonstrations of the launching of a lifeboat, and the bathing of elephants when travelling circuses visited the town. The mill building lasted until 1985, when it was demolished to make way for the Worksop bypass.
The course of the Ryton through Worksop is largely man-made. It originally flowed much nearer to Castle Hill, probably forming part of the defences, but was diverted in 1842 into a channel further north when the 4th Duke of Newcastle constructed Newcastle Street, in order to develop that part of the town. The river is then culverted as it passes under a shopping complex and the shops of Bridge Street. This section counts as a confined space, and was surveyed in 2007, in a joint venture between the Environment Agency, a team of divers, and Bassetlaw District Council. Some five tons of debris, half a ton of steel, and some stolen goods were removed from the culvert during the exercise. Beyond Watson Road bridge, sluices and extra channels point to the existence of the mill near the Priory. Priory Water Mill was in use from the medieval period until 1876, and a large lake called the Canch was formed in 1820, by constructing a dam across the leat which fed it. The Canch gradually became polluted, and was filled in when milling ceased in 1876. The buildings were utilised by William Bramer and Sons for their business of making chairs until they burnt down in 1912, and the site has more recently become the location of a sensory garden. Three channels continue under Priorswell Road through separate bridges, cross Bracebridge field, and join up again near the old High Hoe Road bridge.
Continuing under the new High Hoe Road bridge, the river passes the derelict Grade II listed Italianate pumping station built in 1881 to pump sewage away from Worksop, before passing under the Chesterfield Canal again, through a 3-arched aqueduct. A feeder, which is at a higher level, passes under the canal through a culvert, and joins the canal through a sluice just below Kilton lock, after which the river and canal run parallel, until they pass through separate arches of a nine-arched viaduct which carries the Sheffield to Lincoln Railway line, opened in 1849. The river then follows a winding course through the estate of Osberton Hall and the village of Scofton, turning north to skirt the western edge of Ranby. Ranby Chequer Bridge marks the point at which the river, having flowed eastwards for most of its course, turns to the north west. The bridge itself can be reached from Ranby village by a footpath which runs along the central reservation of the A1 road for a short distance. The next major crossing is the B6045 at Hodsock Red Bridge, its three arches constructed of red bricks with stone lining, after which an early 19th-century Grade II listed twin-arched bridge carries the drive to Hodsock Priory over the river.
Then comes the A634 to the west of Blyth. The bridge here has three arches, was built for William Mellish of Blyth Hall around 1770, probably by the architect and bridge designer John Carr of York, and is a Grade I listed structure. Despite its age, it is called Blyth New Bridge, to distinguish it from Blyth Old Bridge which carries the same road over Oldcotes Dyke, a little further to the west. Before the next crossing of the B6045, the river is joined by Oldcotes Dyke, which flows eastwards from Roche Abbey, and drainage of the surrounding flood plain from here to the Idle is managed by the Rivers Idle and Ryton Internal Drainage Board. A network of drainage channels accompany the river from here to the junction with the River Idle, passing under the A1 road, collecting the runoff from the drainage channels of Whitewater Common, and skirting Serlby and Scrooby. To the north of Scrooby, the channel passes under the A638 Great North Road, the road into Scrooby village and the East Coast Main Line railway, crossing the 16-foot (5 m) contour at the railway bridge. The Great North Road bypassed Scrooby, passing to the west of the village, when it was reconstructed as a turnpike road in 1776. The construction included a number of brick arches, to allow the Ryton to flow under it even in times of flood, which can still be seen from Mill Lane. The river used to flow through the village, and powered Scrooby water mill, an 18th-century mill which was used to grind corn. Milling stopped in 1939, and the river was diverted to follow its present course further to the north in the 1960s. Beyond the railway, flood banks have been raised on both sides of the channel until it meets the River Idle just above Bawtry bridge, the limit of navigation on that river.
In order for wildlife, particularly fish, to thrive, the quality of the water needs to be good. The Environment Agency used a six-stage rating scale, from 'A' to 'F', called the General Quality Assessment, to classify rivers. 'A' on the GQA was the best quality of water, while 'F' was the poorest. Factors which affect the quality are levels of ammonia, levels of dissolved oxygen and the Biochemical oxygen demand (BOD), which measures the amount of dissolved oxygen needed by organisms to break down organic matter in the water. These factors are generally worse when the water is discharged from sewage treatment processes, and tend to be worse in summer, when such discharges make up a greater proportion of the total flow in the river. Water quality steadily improved as a result of investment in the treatment processes, funded by the water industry's Asset Management Plan. Good flows help the water to purify itself. In 2006, the upper Ryton was rated at 'B' on the GQA scale, and Oldcotes Dyke was rated at 'C'.
This classification system has been superseded for the water quality within the river systems in England. Each is given an overall ecological status, which may be one of five levels: high, good, moderate, poor and bad. There are several components that are used to determine this, including biological status, which looks at the quantity and varieties of invertebrates, angiosperms and fish, and chemical status, which compares the concentrations of various chemicals against known safe concentrations. Chemical status is rated as good or fail.
The water quality of the Ryton was as follows in 2016.
|Section||Ecological Status||Chemical Status||Overall Status||Length||Catchment|
|Ryton from Chesterfield Canal to Anston Brook||Good||Good||Good||1.9 miles (3.1 km)||3.24 square miles (8.4 km2)|
|Anston Brook from Source to Ryton||Moderate||Good||Moderate||8.5 miles (13.7 km)||8.35 square miles (21.6 km2)|
|Oldcotes Dyke Catchment||Poor||Good||Poor||16.5 miles (26.6 km)||22.75 square miles (58.9 km2)|
|Ryton from Anston Brook to Idle||Moderate||Good||Moderate||23.6 miles (38.0 km)||42.19 square miles (109.3 km2)|
The quality of the Anston Brook has improved, as the ecological and overall status were rated poor in 2009.
The river Ryton supports various types of fish. In 2006, very few lived in the upper reaches, including the Anston Brook, because the water was only of moderate quality. A number of small streams contribute to the improvement of water quality, so that wild brown trout thrive as far as Worksop. Some trout and various types of cyprinids inhabit the water below Worksop, although abstraction of water results in spawning grounds and the habitats where the young fry live drying out during most summers, which has resulted in a decline in their numbers. Nevertheless, the lower reaches are still used for organised angling, and are the only part of the River Idle system where this activity takes place.
Media related to River Ryton at Wikimedia Commons2007 United Kingdom floods
A series of large floods occurred in parts of the United Kingdom during the summer of 2007. The worst of the flooding occurred across Scotland on 14 June; East Yorkshire and The Midlands on 15 June; Yorkshire, The Midlands, Gloucestershire, Herefordshire and Worcestershire on 25 June; and Gloucestershire, Herefordshire, Worcestershire, Oxfordshire, Berkshire and South Wales on 28 July 2007.
June was one of the wettest months on record in Britain (see List of weather records). Average rainfall across the country was 5.5 inches (140 mm); more than double the June average. Some areas received a month's worth of precipitation in 24 hours. It was Britain's wettest May–July since records began in 1776. July had unusually unsettled weather and above-average rainfall through the month, peaking on 20 July as an active frontal system dumped more than 4.7 inches (120 mm) of rain in southern England.Civil and military authorities described the June and July rescue efforts as the biggest in peacetime Britain. The Environment Agency described the July floods as critical and expected them to exceed the 1947 benchmark.A.F. Budge
A.F. Budge was a British civil engineering and construction company based in Nottinghamshire.A57 road
The A57 is a major road in England. It runs east from Liverpool to Lincoln, via Warrington, Cadishead, Irlam, Patricroft, Eccles, Salford and Manchester, then through the Pennines over the Snake Pass (between the high moorlands of Bleaklow and Kinder Scout), around the Ladybower Reservoir, through Sheffield and past Worksop. Within Manchester a short stretch becomes the A57(M) motorway (the Mancunian Way).
The 3-mile (4.8 km) £4 million Aston relief road in Sheffield opened in mid-1985, with the old route now designated as the B6200.A638 road
The A638 is a main road in England that runs between the A1 at Markham Moor in Nottinghamshire and Chain Bar Junction 26 of the M62 motorway south of Bradford in West Yorkshire.
It passes through Retford, Bawtry, Doncaster, Ackworth, Crofton, Nostell, Wakefield, Dewsbury, Heckmondwike and Cleckheaton.Blyth, Nottinghamshire
Blyth is a village and civil parish in the Bassetlaw district of the county of Nottinghamshire, in the East Midlands, north west of East Retford, on the River Ryton. The population of the civil parish as of the 2011 census is 1,233. It sits at a junction with the A1, and the end of the motorway section from Doncaster.Chesterfield Canal
The Chesterfield Canal is a narrow canal in the East Midlands of England and it is known locally as 'Cuckoo Dyke'. It was one of the last of the canals designed by James Brindley, who died while it was being constructed. It was opened in 1777 and ran for 46 miles (74 km) from the River Trent at West Stockwith, Nottinghamshire to Chesterfield, Derbyshire, passing through the Norwood Tunnel at Kiveton Park, at the time one of the longest tunnels on the British canal system. The canal was built to export coal, limestone, and lead from Derbyshire, iron from Chesterfield, and corn, deals, timber, groceries and general merchandise into Derbyshire. The stone for the Palace of Westminster was quarried in North Anston, Rotherham, and transported via the canal.It was reasonably profitable, paying dividends from 1789, and with the coming of the railways, some of the proprietors formed a railway company. It became part of the Manchester, Sheffield and Lincolnshire Railway company, and although there were intermittent plans to convert parts of it to a railway, it continued to thrive as a canal. In 1907, subsidence from local coal mines caused the collapse of the Norwood Tunnel, and the canal was effectively split in two. Subsequently, the main use of the Chesterfield end was the supply of water to the iron industry, while commercial carrying continued on the Worksop to Stockwith section until the late 1950s.
It was formally closed in 1961, but campaigners fought for it to be retained, and the Worksop to Stockwith section was designated as a "cruiseway" under the Transport Act 1968, meaning that it would be retained for leisure use. The rest was designated as a remainder waterway, and parts were sold off, with housing being built over the route through Killamarsh. The Chesterfield Canal Society was formed in 1978 to spearhead restoration, becoming the Chesterfield Canal Trust in 1997. They initially sought to extend the navigable section beyond Worksop, but when progress was slow, moved to working on the Chesterfield end. Over 5 miles (8 km) of canal, including five original locks and a brand new lock at Staveley Basin were navigable by 2017. The eastern end was restored from Worksop to the mouth of the Norwood Tunnel at Kiveton Park near Rotherham, South Yorkshire, between 1995 and 2003, funded by Derelict Land Grants, English Partnerships and the Heritage Lottery Fund.
Less than 9 miles (14 km) of the original route remain to be restored to link the two navigable sections, but this will require some new lengths of
canal to be built, to bypass the housing development at Killamarsh, and to replace most of the Norwood Tunnel, which cannot be restored. The eastern section is managed by the Canal and River Trust, while the western section is managed by Derbyshire County Council. It includes Tapton Lock Visitor Centre, located to the north of Tapton Park, and the Hollingwood Hub, which provides offices for the Trust, together with meeting rooms and a cafe. It is located by Hollingwood Lock, and consists of a large new extension on the back of the refurbished lock house.Harworth Colliery
Harworth Colliery was a coal mine in the Bassetlaw area of north Nottinghamshire.
It was abandoned in 2006 due to troubles at the seam. UK Coal, who owned and maintained the mine, were waiting for a contract to make it worth investing money to open up a new seam. Bassetlaw has at the moment no working pits; the nearest was Maltby Main Colliery in South Yorkshire which closed in 2013.
The mothballing of the pit in 2006 brought an end to 86 years of mining in Bassetlaw.List of rivers of England
This is a list of rivers of England, organised geographically and taken anti-clockwise around the English coast where the various rivers discharge into the surrounding seas, from the Solway Firth on the Scottish border to the Welsh Dee on the Welsh border, and again from the Wye on the Welsh border anti-clockwise to the Tweed on the Scottish border.
Tributaries are listed down the page in an upstream direction. The main stem (or principal) river of a catchment is labelled as (MS), left-bank tributaries are indicated by (L), right-bank tributaries by (R). Note that in general usage, the 'left (or right) bank of a river' refers to the left (or right) hand bank, as seen when looking downstream. Where a named river derives from the confluence of two differently named rivers these are labelled as (Ls) and (Rs) for the left and right forks (the rivers on the left and right, relative to an observer facing downstream). A prime example is the River Tyne (MS), the confluence of the South Tyne (Rs) and the North Tyne (Ls) near Hexham. Those few watercourses (mainly in the Thames catchment) which branch off a major channel and then rejoin it or another watercourse further downstream are known as distributaries or anabranches and are labelled (d).
The list is (or at least will be when completed) essentially a list of the main rivers of England (as defined by the Environment Agency) and which includes those named watercourses for which the Environment Agency has a flood defence function. Difficulties arise otherwise in determining what should and what should not be included. Some minor watercourses are included in the list, especially if they are named as 'river'- such examples may be labelled (m).
For simplicity, they are divided here by the coastal sections within which each river system discharges to the sea. In the case of the rivers which straddle the borders with Scotland and Wales, such as the Border Esk, Tweed, Dee, Severn and Wye, only those tributaries which lie at least partly in England are included.List of rivers of New Zealand
This is a list of all waterways named as rivers in New Zealand. In a small number of cases, which have not been fully indexed here, there are multiple rivers bearing the same name; in these cases the notation "(#)" indicates the number of rivers sharing the same name and the name-link should lead to a disambiguation page.List of rivers of Yorkshire
This is a list of named rivers that flow either wholly or partially within the boundaries of the four ceremonial counties that form Yorkshire. There are twenty five rivers of at least 20 kilometres (12 mi) in total. The majority of these waterways lie wholly within the county boundaries, except for; the Ribble, which flows into the Irish Sea at Lytham; the Rother, whose source is located in Derbyshire Peak District; the Greta, which flows into Lancashire to join the River Lune; and the Tees, which flows partly within County Durham and forms some of the boundary with North Yorkshire.
The direction of stream flow in Yorkshire is influenced by the three major drainage divides. The Pennines in the west and south, the North York Moors in the north-east and the Yorkshire Wolds, the coastal range of hills on the east. This represents a large drainage area that mostly flows into the Vale of York and into the North Sea via the River Humber. Though named a river, the Humber is considered to be an estuary.
The Humber river system is tidal as far inland as Naburn Lock on the River Ouse, Knottingley on the River Aire and Askern on the River Don. The River Humber has the second largest tidal range in the UK at 7.2 metres (24 ft). The largest is the Bristol Channel at nearly double that range.Source data for the table below came from the National Environment Research Council Centre for Ecology and Hydrology, Ordnance Survey, Environment Agency and Google Earth. In the table, total lengths are given in miles (mi) and kilometres (km), and elevations are in feet (ft) and metres (m). River lengths are taken from actual source when wholly within the Yorkshire County boundary, else measured from where the river enters or leaves the county.Maltby, South Yorkshire
Maltby is a former mining town and civil parish of 16,688 inhabitants (2011) in the Metropolitan Borough of Rotherham, South Yorkshire, England. It was historically in the West Riding of Yorkshire. It is located about 6 miles (10 km) east of Rotherham town centre and 10 miles (16 km) north-east of Sheffield city centre. It forms a continuous urban area with Hellaby, separated from the rest of Rotherham by the M18 motorway.Oldcotes Dyke
Oldcotes Dyke is the name of the final section of a river system that drains parts of north Nottinghamshire and the Metropolitan Borough of Rotherham in South Yorkshire, England. Historically, it has supported milling, with seven water mills drawing their power from its water, and ran through the grounds of the Cistercian Roche Abbey. It is a tributary of the River Ryton.River Idle
The River Idle is a river in Nottinghamshire, England. Its source is the confluence of the River Maun and River Meden, near Markham Moor. From there, it flows north through Retford and Bawtry before entering the River Trent at Stockwith near Misterton. The county boundary with South Yorkshire follows the river for a short distance near Bawtry, and the border with Lincolnshire does the same at Idle Stop. Originally, it flowed northwards from Idle Stop to meet the River Don on Hatfield Chase, but was diverted eastwards by drainage engineers in 1628.
Most of the land surrounding the river is a broad flood plain. Between Retford and Bawtry, the floodplain is partly occupied by a number of sand and gravel pits, where exhausted forming public lakes for fishing, while beyond Bawtry, the river is constrained by high flood banks, to allow the low-lying areas to be drained for agriculture. Its main tributaries are the River Poulter and the River Ryton.
The river is navigable to Bawtry, and there is a statutory right of navigation as far upstream as East Retford, although access to the river through the entrance sluices is very expensive. Its drainage functions are managed by the Environment Agency, but there is no navigation authority. The river is important for conservation, with the Idle Washlands and some of the sand and gravel pits of the Idle Valley being designated Sites of Special Scientific Interest.Sandhill Lake
Sandhill Lake is a small lake and park, west of the centre of Worksop, Nottinghamshire, England. It is passed by the Chesterfield Canal and a National Cycle Route, and the path around it has a circumference of 1.21 miles (1.95 km). The River Ryton passes just to the southwest of the canal. The lake, formerly known as Godfrey's Pond, is popular with local anglers, and the area is also used for other leisure activities. On 3 November 2010 the park reopened after improvements under the Nottinghamshire County Council's ‘Local Improvement Scheme', funded by Groundwork Creswell, Ashfield and Mansfield and Crestra Ltd.Scrooby
Scrooby is a small village, on the River Ryton and near Bawtry, in north Nottinghamshire, England. At the time of the 2001 census it had a population of 329. Until 1766, it was on the Great North Road so became a stopping-off point for numerous important figures including Queen Elizabeth I and Cardinal Wolsey on their journeys. The latter stayed at the Manor House briefly, after his fall from favour.
The Manor House belonged to the Archbishops of York and so was sometimes referred to as a palace. (A nearby former farmhouse is still called Palace Farm.) At the end of the sixteenth century, the house was occupied by William Brewster, the Archbishop's bailiff, who was also postmaster. His son, also named William, took that post in the 1590s after a job as an assistant to the Secretary of State under Queen Elizabeth I. The junior William became dissatisfied with the Anglican Church as it was developing at the time, acquired Brownist beliefs and attempted to leave for the Netherlands in 1607. After an unsuccessful first attempt, Brewster succeeded in 1608. He eventually went to New England in 1620 on the Mayflower, as one of the people later called Pilgrim Fathers. The Manor House was demolished early in the 19th century, though the levelled area where it stood can still be made out, as can the twin sets of steps (now just grassy banks) that led down to the ornamental ponds. All that remain are a cottage (perhaps intended for a resident official and not open to the public, though it has commemorative plaques), a substantial brick dovecote and the fishponds. Notice boards direct visitors to the best places to view the historic sites which today are private property.
The parish church of St Wilfrid has an octagonal spire. Other buildings of interest are the remaining buildings on the site of the former manor house, the mill, the old vicarage, the village's historic farmhouses, and the pinfold. The village stocks were sold to America, more than a hundred years ago.
Just north of Scrooby, the road that links the A638 and the A614 is called Gibbet Hill Lane. This lane is so named after a brutal crime that took place early in the morning of 3 July 1779 when John Spencer, who had been playing cards with Scrooby's toll-bar keeper, William Yeadon, and his mother (then on a visit), returned to the toll house and killed both of them. The crime was enacted for the purposes of robbery, and Spencer gained re-admittance under a pretence that a drove of cattle wished to pass that way. Spencer was interrupted by travellers in the act of dragging one body across the road towards the River Ryton, and arrested shortly thereafter by a search party. He was executed following a trial at Nottingham Assizes, and his body afterwards hung in a gibbet cage on a slope south of the Ryton now denominated Gibbet Hill. Tales from the Gibbet Post (Scrooby's Toll-booth Murders). Amazon Media EU S.à r.l. Kindle Edition. ASIN: B00D2B8OWAShireoaks
Shireoaks is a former pit village and civil parish in Nottinghamshire, located between Worksop and Thorpe Salvin on the border with South Yorkshire. The population of the civil parish was 1,432 at the 2011 census. Shireoaks colliery was opened in 1854. It was closed on 25 May 1991 and was capped in August 1992. The depth of the shaft was 483.5m and the shaft's diameter was 3.66m.
The Chesterfield Canal and River Ryton both run through the village. The main A57 between Sheffield and Worksop passes close to the village and there are rail services to Sheffield, Lincoln and Cleethorpes on the Sheffield to Lincoln Line, which has a station at Shireoaks railway station.Worksop
Worksop ( WURK-sop) is the largest town in the Bassetlaw district of Nottinghamshire, England. Worksop lies on the River Ryton, and is located at the northern edge of Sherwood Forest. Worksop is located 19 miles (31 km) east-south-east of Sheffield, with a population of 41,820.It lies close to Nottinghamshire’s borders with South Yorkshire, and Derbyshire.
Worksop has become a commuter town as a result of its geographic location and ease of access to major motorways and rail links.
Worksop is known as the "Gateway to The Dukeries", because of the now four obsolete ducal principal sites of which were closely located next to each other, south of the town. These four ducal locations were; Clumber House, Thoresby Hall, Welbeck Abbey and Worksop Manor. Other houses such as Rufford Abbey and Hodsock Priory are also just a few miles away
Worksop is twinned with the German town Garbsen.Worksop Town F.C.
Worksop Town Football Club is an English football club based in Worksop, Nottinghamshire. They play in the Premier Division of the Northern Counties East League at level 9 of the English football league system. They are nicknamed the Tigers, and usually sport an amber and black home kit.
The club are currently playing their home games at Handsworth Parramore's Sandy Lane ground – a ground Worksop used to own themselves.
(Links to map resources)
|OS Grid Ref||Notes|
|Source||SK539822||Anston Brook and Pudding Dyke join|
|Shireoaks Aqueduct||SK550812||Chesterfield Canal crosses|
|Bridge Street Culvert||SK584790|
|Site of Priory Mill||SK589789|
|Kilton Aqueduct||SK597789||Chesterfield Canal|
|Railway viaduct||SK609787||Sheffield to Lincoln Line|
|Chequer Bridge Ranby||SK645815|
|Hodsock Red Bridge||SK622853|
|Blyth New Bridge||SK617872||Grade I listed|
|Whitewater Common drainage||SK628889|
|Mouth||SK657921||Junction with R Idle|
Rivers of Yorkshire
|East Riding of Yorkshire|