Rawmarsh (locally /ˈroʊmɪʃ/) is a large village in the Metropolitan Borough of Rotherham, in South Yorkshire, England. Historically within the West Riding of Yorkshire, it is 2 miles (3 km) north north east from Rotherham town centre and 3 miles (5 km) south south west of Swinton. The village also forms part of the Sheffield Urban Area. The Rawmarsh ward of Rotherham MBC had a population of 13,389 only at the 2011 Census. Rawmarsh also contains other output areas from neighbouring wards giving it a population of 18,498 in 2011 and 18,535 in 2014.
|OS grid reference|
|• London||145 mi (233 km) SSE|
|Sovereign state||United Kingdom|
|EU Parliament||Yorkshire and the Humber|
The name has gone through many changes since being recorded as "Rodemesc" in the Domesday Book and "Raumersche" in 1355. The name is thought to be of dual origin, "Rode" being from the Old Norse for "red", and Mesc from "Old English" meaning "Marsh". This led to "Red Marsh", from its situation in the Permian System of red sandstones and marls which run through the area. Localised clays outcrop and the area was formerly known for its potteries.
At the beginning of the 20th century Rawmarsh was described as "an increasing parish" and included the outlying hamlets of Parkgate, Stubbin and Upper Haugh. In 1851 the population was 2,533 but 50 years later this had increased to 14,587. In 1961 the population was noted as being 19,700 but at the 2001 census it had reduced to 17,443. Rawmarsh has laid claim to the title of being the largest village in England; however this claim is unsubstantiated and there are indeed many settlements that make this claim.
These days primarily a residential area, Rawmarsh can be noted for its church, Rawmarsh St Mary's Parish Church, which dominates the view at the top of Rawmarsh Hill. There has been a church in the town since Norman times (c.1127) but the earliest recorded rector was William de Sutton who was instituted on 6 June 1227. The current church was completed in 1838 when the tower was increased in height and the rest rebuilt, J.P. Pritchett being the architect. In 1869 the tower began to collapse and was rebuilt incorporating features of the original Norman doorway. In 1894 the sanctuary was enlarged and the vestry, organ chamber and north porch added. The present sanctuary was repaved in 1977 in memory of Canon Scovell, who is also remembered in a street name in the town; the font is Perpendicular in style and is from the old church. More recently restoration work was undertaken in 2003. The church contains two monuments of interest: one to Lady Middleton and her children (1667) who lived for a time at Aldwarke Hall, the other to John Darley of Kilnhurst (1616). The Parish Church of Christ Church, Parkgate, separated from Rawmarsh in 1868, was brought back in the early 1960s. There are other churches: St. Nicolas, Ryecroft (1928) and a selection of 'Free' churches, Spiritualists, Roman Catholic and Quakers.
In the past the coal and steel industries were major employers in the area. Coal had been mined in the Haugh area from the mid-15th century and in the Parkgate area of the village since around 1700, mostly from small pits under the ownership of Earl Fitzwilliam. Deeper mining came in the mid-19th century, the town becoming ringed with collieries, Warren House and Warren Vale to the north, Stubbin, later followed by New Stubbin together with its railway, the Stubbin incline, linking it to the Greasbrough Canal taking up the western side and near the River Don in Parkgate, adjacent to each other and the two main line railways serving the town Aldwarke Main and Roundwood. The last three collieries mentioned being the last of these to close, the last, New Stubbin closing in 1978.
To the south of Rawmarsh is Parkgate, a suburb which had streets of terraced houses for the local work force and which was dominated by the Park Gate Iron and Steel Company's works. This complex of two large blast furnaces and Siemens open hearth furnaces and ancillaries was closed in the late 1970s the land remaining derelict until it was redeveloped as several large retail complexes from the late 1980s. Steel making is now concentrated at Aldwarke (New Site) which, when built in the early 1960s had Kaldo converters to take advantage of a supply of 'blast furnace metal' but now has electric melting capacity, the furnaces being transferred from Templeborough Works, Rotherham to provide the steel. Roundwood, the 11" mill as it is known because of the maximum rolling size, also remains open, both plants with a reduced workforce.
In the 18th century pottery was also made in the town; there are several references in places and street names within the area: Claypit Lane is an example.
Rawmarsh, and neighbour Parkgate were served by two railway stations, both some distance from the town centre. Parkgate and Aldwarke, on the former Great Central Railway line between Sheffield and Doncaster was the furthest away, being situated off Aldwarke Lane and was the first to close, in October 1951. The station on the Midland Railway line between Sheffield and Leeds was called Parkgate and Rawmarsh and closed in January 1968. The nearest rail station now is Swinton railway station.
Road transport services were provided, from 1907 when trams were introduced, by the Mexborough and Swinton Traction Company. In 1929 trolleybuses took over, the major routes being from Rotherham, through Rawmarsh to Mexborough (Route A to Adwick Road), Conisbrough (Route B to Brook Square) with three routes terminating in the township; Rawmarsh via Green Lane (Route S) which made an end-on connection and had a turning circle at the junction of Kilnhurst Road and Main Street with the route to Kilnhurst Road (Route K). There was also a short route used at busy periods to Parkgate (Route P). Motor buses were introduced with the building of the Monkwood estate in the late 1950s and to Kilnhurst via the N.C.B. estate at Sandhill. The last trolleybus ran in March 1961. Routes have been rationalised, the company fully integrated into the Yorkshire Traction and in 2005 into the Stagecoach Group. Rawmarsh is now served by Parkgate Tram-Train stop, offering regular routes into Sheffield.
The local area is serviced by a local shopping centre, five churches and nine schools – notably Rawmarsh Community School which was featured in national news after a very small number of parents rebelled against the school's Jamie Oliver-style lunches.
The 1905 Normanton by-election was held on 27 November 1905 after the incumbent Liberal-Labour MP William Parrott died. The seat was retained by the Liberal-Labour candidate Frederick Hall. Hall was a local councilor and chairman of the Rawmarsh School Board. who was sponsored by the Miners Federation of Great Britain and would in 1909 take the Labour whip. Hall was unopposed.1968–69 Yorkshire Football League
The 1968–69 Yorkshire Football League was the 43rd season in the history of the Yorkshire Football League.1969–70 Yorkshire Football League
The 1969–70 Yorkshire Football League was the 44th season in the history of the Yorkshire Football League.2010 Rotherham Metropolitan Borough Council election
The 2010 Rotherham Metropolitan Borough Council election took place on 6 May 2010 to elect members of Rotherham Council in South Yorkshire, England as part of the 2010 United Kingdom local elections. One third of the council was up for election.
After the election, the composition of the council was:
Others 22012 Rotherham Metropolitan Borough Council election
The 2012 Rotherham Metropolitan Borough Council election took place on 3 May 2012 to elect members of Rotherham Metropolitan Borough Council in South Yorkshire, England. This was on the same day as other 2012 United Kingdom local elections. The Labour Party gained five seats, and one was gained by an Independent. The British National Party lost both of the seats it was defending, and the Conservative Party only held one of its five seats, in Sitwell ward.2015 Rotherham Metropolitan Borough Council election
The by-thirds 2015 Rotherham Metropolitan Borough Council election took place on Thursday 7 May 2015, to elect approximately one third of the members of the Rotherham Metropolitan Borough Council in England as part of the 2015 United Kingdom local elections held on the same day as the general election. All seats contested at this election were last contested in 2011, and of these, 20 were held by Labour Party councillors.Following the premature resignation of former Cabinet member Cllr. Mahroof Hussain (L) elected in Boston Castle at a more recent election, his seat (for the Boston Castle ward) was also contested in the 2015 election. As the election is held by thirds, a Labour Party majority would fall if the party failed to win more than 2 of the 22 seats that were up for election in 2015.Allen Foster
Allen Foster (c. 1887 – 8 August 1916) was an English professional football inside left, who made over 140 appearances in the Southern League for Reading. He also played in the Football League for Bristol City.List of schools in Rotherham
This is a list of schools in the Metropolitan Borough of Rotherham in the English county of South Yorkshire.List of settlements in South Yorkshire by population
This is a list of settlements in South Yorkshire by population based on the results of the 2011 census. The next United Kingdom census will take place in 2021. In 2011, there were 34 built-up area subdivisions with 5,000 or more inhabitants in South Yorkshire, shown in the table below.Metropolitan Borough of Rotherham
The Metropolitan Borough of Rotherham is a metropolitan borough of South Yorkshire, England. It is named after its largest town, Rotherham, but also spans the outlying towns of Maltby, Rawmarsh, Swinton, Wath-upon-Dearne, and also Dinnington and Laughton
as well as a suburban and rural element composed of hills, escarpments and broad valleys.
The district was formed on 1 April 1974, under the Local Government Act 1972, as a merger of the County Borough of Rotherham, with Maltby, Rawmarsh, Swinton and Wath-upon-Dearne urban districts along with Rotherham Rural District and Kiveton Park Rural District.
Rotherham Metropolitan Borough Council is one of the safest Labour councils in the United Kingdom, although the number of Labour council seats dropped from 92% to 79% in 2014 following the Rotherham child sexual exploitation scandal.Mexborough and Swinton Traction Company
The Mexborough and Swinton Traction Company was the name adopted by the Mexborough & Swinton Tramways Company in 1929 following the introduction of trolleybuses on all its routes. It operated in the West Riding of Yorkshire, England, over routes serving Manvers Main Colliery, Wath upon Dearne and the towns of Rotherham, Rawmarsh, Swinton, Mexborough, Conisbrough and the estate at Conanby.
The first opening took place in 1907 and was owned by the National Electric Construction Co., becoming part of the British Electric Traction Group in 1931.Mexborough and Swinton Tramway
The Mexborough & Swinton Tramways Company was a tramway system in South Yorkshire, England, founded in 1902 and which began services in 1907 linking Rotherham with the Old Toll Bar, Mexborough. Its routes served Manvers Main Colliery, Wath upon Dearne and the towns of Rotherham, Rawmarsh, Swinton and Mexborough.Parkgate, South Yorkshire
Parkgate is a suburb of Rotherham, South Yorkshire, England. It has since been consumed by its neighbour, Rawmarsh and is in the ward of Rawmarsh from which it has been indistinguishable since the early 20th century.Parkgate and Rawmarsh railway station
Parkgate and Rawmarsh railway station, originally named Rawmarsh was situated in Parkgate, adjacent to the Park Gate Iron and Steel Company's works. It served the communities of Parkgate and Rawmarsh, in South Yorkshire, England.
The station was situated on the former North Midland Railway between Kilnhurst West and Rotherham Masborough.
On 19 November 1926, a private owner wagon disintegrated, derailing the train that it was part of. A signal post was partially brought down, obstructing an adjacent line. An express passenger train had the sides of its carriages ripped open by the signal post. Eleven people were killed.The station was closed, along with all the others on the line, except for Rotherham Masborough on 1 January 1968. The last ticket to be issued, as a souvenir, was lettered L.M.S.R., 20 years after that company's demise.
The station and the adjoining steel works, together with other locations in the Rotherham area, were featured in the 1958 film Tread Softly Stranger starring Diana Dors. Diana Dors's co-star George Baker is seen arriving at platform 1 of "Rawborough" station.Peter Elliott (athlete)
Peter Elliott (born 9 October 1962 in Rotherham, Yorkshire) is a former middle-distance runner from the United Kingdom. During his career, he won the gold medal in the 1500 metres at the 1990 Commonwealth Games, the silver medal in the 1500 metres at the 1988 Olympic Games, and the silver medal in the 800 metres at the 1987 World Championships.Rawmarsh Community School
Rawmarsh Community School is a coeducational secondary school with academy status located in Rotherham, South Yorkshire, England.Rawmarsh Welfare F.C.
Rawmarsh Welfare F.C. was an English football club located in Rawmarsh, Rotherham, South Yorkshire.Rotherham Tramway
The Rotherham Tramway was a tramway system serving the West Riding town of Rotherham. Service began on 31 January 1903 and ended on 13 November 1949.The network of six lines spread across the town and was linked to the tramway networks of Sheffield and Mexborough & Swinton.Rotherham tramways ran on six lines joining in the town's centre and serving Thrybergh, Silverwood Colliery and Broom Road to the East, Canklow and Sheffield to the South, Kimberworth to the West and Rawmarsh to the North.
The line to Sheffield was Rotherham's busiest as it served the main steel producing area of Great Britain. It required an almost constant flow of tramcars to meet demand. Track was re-laid in 1933 as well as single-ended double-decker tramcars purchased to serve on this particular line. Indeed, the line was built with loop termini. The tramcars used for the Sheffield-Rotherham service were equipped with only one entrance and staircase and like on traditional double-decker buses, seats were made to be comfortable. Tram service ended on this route in 1948 and Sheffield trams ended at Tinsley (where the change of owner occurred until 1926 when the Sheffield Corporation purchased the line up to Vulcan Road).
An extension of the line to Broom Top to Maltby was opened for trolleybuses in 1912, this being the third trolleybus line in Great Britain. Trolleybuses were permitted to reach the town centre in 1924 along with trams. Tram routes to Rawmarsh Road, Broom Road, Kimberworth and Thrybergh were converted to trolleybuses in 1929 and 1931. The line to Canklow was converted to motorbuses in 1934.
Double-decker trolleybuses were built from the single-deck fleet from 1955. Twenty-three of these were sold in Spain with the last trolleybus running in 1965.Yorkshire Football League
The Yorkshire Football League was the name of two football competitions. The first lasted three seasons in the late 19th century and the second lasted 62 years until merging with the Midland League in 1982 to become the Northern Counties East League.