Rājputāna, meaning "Land of the Rajputs", was a region in India that included mainly the present-day Indian state of Rajasthan, as well as parts of Madhya Pradesh and Gujarat, and some adjoining areas of Sindh in modern-day southern Pakistan. The main settlements were to the west of the Aravalli Hills, and was known as Samarkand, the earlier form of Registan, before it came to be known as Rajputana, early in the Medieval Period. The name was later adopted by British government as the Rajputana Agency for its dependencies in the region of the present-day Indian state of Rājasthān. The Rajputana Agency included 18 princely states, two chiefships and the British district of Ajmer-Merwara. This British official term remained until its replacement by "Rajasthan" in the constitution of 1949.
George Thomas (Military Memories) was the first in 1800, to term this region the Rajputana Agency. The historian John Keay in his book, India: A History, stated that the Rajputana name was coined by the British, but that the word achieved a retrospective authenticity: in an 1829 translation of Ferishta's history of early Islamic India, John Briggs discarded the phrase "Indian princes", as rendered in Dow's earlier version, and substituted "Rajpoot princes".
The area of Rajputana is estimated to be 343,328 square km (132,559 square miles) and breaks down into two geographic divisions:
The whole area forms the hill and plateau country between the north Indian plains and the main plateau of peninsular India.
Colonel James Tod, who as the first British official to visit Rajasthan spent most of the 1820s exploring its political potential, formed a very different idea of "Rashboots".....and the whole region thenceforth became, for the British, 'Rajputana'. Historian R. C. Majumdar explained that the region was long known as Gurjaratra early form of Gujarat, before it came to be called Rajputana, early in the Muslim period.
The 6th Rajputana Rifles were an infantry regiment of the British Indian Army. They were formed in 1922, after the Indian government reformed the army. They moved away from single battalion regiments to multi battalion regiments. The regiment served in World War II and in 1947 was allocated to the new Indian Army after independence as the Rajputana Rifles.
During World War II the regiment was expanded to thirteen battalions and served in the Middle East, Burma and Malaya. The 4th Battalion had the distinction of earning two Victoria Crosses during this conflict.Agencies of British India
An agency of British India was an internally autonomous or semi-autonomous unit of British India whose external affairs were governed by an agent designated by the Viceroy of India. They varied in character from fully autonomous self-governing dependencies such as princely states, where the agent functioned mainly as a representative of the Viceroy, to tribal tracts which were integral parts of the British Empire and where the agent was completely in charge of law and order. The agent of a protected tract or princely state usually resided outside the territory in his charge, as opposed to a Resident who usually resided within his confines and was not infrequently the District Collector of the adjoining British district.
Civil and criminal justice in agencies were usually administered through locally made laws, and the Indian Penal Code was not applicable by default in these agencies.Ajmer-Merwara
Ajmer-Merwara, also known as Ajmir Province and as Ajmer-Merwara-Kekri, is a former province of British India in the historical Ajmer region. The territory was ceded to the British by Daulat Rao Sindhia by a treaty on 25 June 1818.
It was under the Bengal Presidency until 1836 when it became part of the North-Western Provinces comissionat el 1842. Finally on 1 April 1871 it became a separate province as Ajmer-Merwara-Kekri.
It became a part of independent India on 15 August 1947 when the British left India.The province consisted of the districts of Ajmer and Merwar, which were physically separated from the rest of British India forming an enclave amidst the many princely states of Rajputana. Unlike these states, which were ruled by local nobles who acknowledged British suzerainty, Ajmer-Merwara was administered directly by the British.
In 1842 the two districts were under a single commissioner, then they were separated in 1856 and were administered by the East India Company. Finally, after 1858, by a chief commissioner who was subordinate to the Governor-General of India's agent for the Rajputana Agency.Alwar State
Alwar State was a princely state with its capital at Alwar ruled by a Kachwaha Rajput dynasty during the period of the British Raj in India. Founded in 1770 CE by Pratap Singh Prabhakar, its last reigning ruler, H.H.
Maharaja Sir Tej Singh Prabhakar Bahadur, signed the accession to the Indian Union on 7 April 1949.Bikaner State
Bikaner State was a princely state in the Bikaner region from 1465 to 1947. The founder of the state, Rao Bika was a son of Rao Jodha, who chose to found his own kingdom instead of inheriting his fathers. Bika defeated the Jat clans of Jangladesh and founded his own kingdom. Its capital was the city of Bikaner in the northern area of present-day Rajasthan State in India.
Covering an area of 60,391 km2 (23,317 sq mi), Bikaner State was one of the largest states under the Rajputana Agency. Heeding the call of Vallabhbhai Patel to integrate the princely states into the new independent India, Bikaner's last king, Maharaja Sadul Singh, advised by his dewan K. M. Panikkar, a respected historian, was one of the first rulers of a princely state to display willingness to join the Indian Union. By issuing a public appeal in April 1947 to his fellow princes to join the Constituent Assembly of India, the Maharaja of Bikaner set an example for other heads of the native states to follow.Chittaurgarh Junction railway station
Chittaurgarh Junction (station code: COR) is one of the major railway junctions in Southern Rajasthan, India. The railway station of Chittorgarh is located on a broad gauge line and falls under the administrative control of Western Railway Zone of Indian Railways and consists of 7 main railway platforms.
Chittaurgarh Junction is connected by rail with Jaipur via Bhilwara and Ajmer, Kota via Bundi, Jodhpur via Ajmer, Indore Junction BG, Bhopal, Indore Mhow, Ujjain, Ratlam, Nagda Junction, Ajmer and Hazrat Nizamuddin, Bandra Terminus, Mysuru, New Jalpaiguri by many broad gauge trains. The city is also connected to Udaipur City via Mavli Jn. Some weekly trains to Hyderabad, Kolkata, Bangalore, Pune, Agra, Mathura, Kanpur , Rameshwaram, Patliputra pass through this station.Dholpur State
Dholpur State or Dhaulpur State was a kingdom of eastern Rajasthan, India, which was founded in AD 1806 by a Hindu
Jat Rana Kirat Singh of Dhaulpur, Ruler. After 1818 the state was placed under the authority of British India's Rajputana Agency. The Ranas ruled the state until the independence of India in 1947, when the kingdom was merged with the Union of India.
Dholpur princely state was located in the present-day state of Rajasthan. The state had an area of 3,038 km2 (1,173 sq mi), and an estimated revenue of Rs.83,000/-.
The current chief minister of Rajasthan, Vasundhara Raje, was a member of the erstwhile ruling family of Dholpur as she was married to His Highness Maharaja Hemant Singh before getting divorced.HMIS Rajputana (J197)
HMIS Rajputana (J197) was a Bangor-class minesweepers built for the Royal Navy, but transferred to the Royal Indian Navy (RIN) during the Second World War.History of Rajasthan
The state of Rajasthan in India has a history dating back thousands of years.Jaipur State
Jaipur State was a kachwaha Rajput princely state of India from 1128 to 1947. It was centred on Jaipur town. It existed from the 12th century until Indian Independence in 1947. According to the different periods of history it was also known as Jaipur Kingdom, Amber Kingdom, Dhundhar Kingdom and Kachwaha Kingdom.Jodhpur State
Jodhpur State also historically known as the Kingdom of Marwar, was a princely state in the Marwar region from 1226 to 1949. Its capital was the city of Jodhpur since 1450.
Covering an area of 93,424 km², Jodhpur State was the largest state under the Rajputana Agency. Its last ruler signed the accession to join the Indian Union on 7 April 1949 and the state was formally dissolved on 1 November 1956.Karauli State
Karauli State was a princely state in India from 1348 to 1949. It is located in the Braj region. Karauli city was the capital while Mandrayal or Mandrail was another important town.Mewar Residency
Mewar Residency was a political subdivision of Rajputana Agency in British India. After treaty relations between Mewar and the East India Company commenced in 1818, the British government created a political sub-division known as Mewar Agency with its headquarters in Nimuch. In 1860–61, the headquarters were moved to Udaipur and, in 1881-82, the designation was changed from 'Agency' to 'Residency.' As of 1908, the Mewar Residency consisted of the four states of Udaipur, Banswara, Dungarpur, and Partabgarh, with headquarters in Udaipur.The Western Rajputana States Agency, which included the states of Banswara, Dungarpur and Partabgarh, was part of Mewar Residency until 1906, before it separated.Rajasthan cricket team
The Rajasthan cricket team is a cricket team which represents the Indian state of Rajasthan. The team won the Ranji Trophy in the 2010-11 and 2011-12 seasons, having finished runners-up eight times between 1960-61 and 1973-74. It is currently in the Ranji Trophy Elite group. It is run by the Rajasthan Cricket Association, and is popularly known as "Team Rajasthan".Rajputana Agency
The Rajputana Agency was a political office of the British Indian Empire dealing with a collection of native states in Rajputana (now in Rajasthan, northwestern India), under the political charge of an Agent reporting directly to the Governor-General of India and residing at Mount Abu in the Aravalli Range. The total area of the states falling within the Rajputana Agency was 127,541 square miles (330,330 km2), with eighteen states and two estates or chiefships.Rajputana Rifles
The Rajputana Rifles is the one of the most senior rifle regiments of the Indian Army. It was originally raised in 1921 as part of the British Indian Army, when six previously existing regiments were amalgamated to form six battalions of the 6th Rajputana Rifles. In 1945 the numeral designation was dropped from the title and in 1947 the regiment was transferred to the newly independent Indian Army. Since independence, the regiment has been involved in a number of conflicts against Pakistan, as well as contributing to the Custodian Force (India) in Korea under the aegis of the United Nations in 1953-54 and to the UN Mission to the Congo in 1962. As a rifle regiment it uses a bugle horn as its insignia, the same as the British Light Division, but unlike its British counterparts, the Rajputana Rifles march at the same march pace used in the Indian Army as a whole.Rajputana–Malwa Railway
Rajputana–Malwa Railway was a 1,000 mm (3 ft 3 3⁄8 in) (metre gauge) railway line which ran from Delhi to Ajmer and from Ajmer to Indore and Ahmedabad. It was earlier known as Rajputana State Railway until 1882 when it was renamed.Rana Sanga
Maharana Sangram Singh (12 April 1482 – 30 January 1528) commonly known as Rana Sanga, was an Indian ruler of Mewar and head of a powerful Rajput confederacy in Rajputana during the 16th century.Rana Sanga succeeded his father, Rana Raimal, as king of Mewar in 1508. He fought against the Afghan Lodhi dynasty of Delhi Sultanate, and later against the Mughals.SS Rajputana
SS Rajputana was a British passenger and cargo carrying ocean liner. She was built for the Peninsular & Oriental Steam Navigation Company at the Harland and Wolff shipyard at Greenock on the lower River Clyde, Scotland in 1925. She was one of the P&O R-class liners from 1925 that had much of their interiors designed by Lord Inchcape's daughter Elsie Mackay. Named after the Rajputana region of western India, she sailed on a regular route between England and British India.
She was requisitioned into the Royal Navy on the onset of World War II and commissioned in December 1939 as the armed merchant cruiser HMS Rajputana. The installation of eight six-inch guns gave her the firepower of a light cruiser without the armoured protection. She was torpedoed and sunk off Iceland on 13 April 1941, after escorting a convoy across the North Atlantic.