The Piscataquog River begins at the outlet of the Deering Reservoir, a lake in Deering, New Hampshire. The river takes a winding course north, then east, then south, then east again through Hillsborough County to reach the Merrimack River in Manchester. On its way, it passes through the town of Weare, where it is impounded in two reservoirs — Weare Reservoir and Everett Lake. Everett Lake is part of the watershed-spanning Hopkinton-Everett flood control reservoir — a canal spanning the drainage divide connects Everett Lake to Hopkinton Reservoir, which impounds the Contoocook River.
The Piscataquog proceeds south from the Everett Dam along the eastern side of Weare, entering Goffstown shortly before the river's junction with the South Branch, the Piscataquog's largest tributary. From Goffstown to the river's mouth there are two small reservoirs and several additional dams, each constructed for hydroelectric power or older industrial development. In west Manchester, the Piscataquog passes under the Nazaire Biron Bridge and reaches the Merrimack River just upstream of the Queen City Bridge.
The Amos Chase House and Mill are a historic property on New Hampshire Route 114, just south of the Piscataquog River in Weare, New Hampshire. The mill, built about 1849, is the last 19th-century mill standing in Weare, and the house, built about 1836, is a good example of vernacular Greek Revival architecture. The property was listed on the National Register of Historic Places in 1992.Clough State Park
Clough State Park is a state park in Weare, New Hampshire, on Everett Lake, a 150-acre (60 ha) lake formed by a dam on the Piscataquog River. The park has a 900-foot (270 m) sandy beach, playing fields, and a large picnic area.
Activities in the park include swimming, hiking, fishing, picnicking and non-motorized boating.Deering, New Hampshire
Deering is a town in Hillsborough County, New Hampshire, United States. The population was 1,912 at the 2010 census.Deering Reservoir
Deering Reservoir is a 323-acre (1.3 km2) water body located in Hillsborough County in southern New Hampshire, United States, in the town of Deering. The lake serves as the headwaters to the Piscataquog River, which flows east to the Merrimack River in Manchester.
The lake is classified as a warmwater fishery, with observed species including rainbow trout, smallmouth bass, largemouth bass, white perch, horned pout, and chain pickerel.Goffstown, New Hampshire
Goffstown is a town in Hillsborough County, New Hampshire, United States. The population was 17,651 at the 2010 census. The compact center of town, where 3,196 people resided at the 2010 census, is defined by the U.S. Census Bureau as the Goffstown census-designated place and is located at the junction of New Hampshire routes 114 and 13. Goffstown also includes the villages of Grasmere and Pinardville. The town is home to Saint Anselm College (and its New Hampshire Institute of Politics) and is the former location of the New Hampshire State Prison for Women, prior to the prison’s relocation to Concord in 2018. The former prison in Goffstown is now vacant.Goffstown (CDP), New Hampshire
Goffstown is a census-designated place (CDP) and the main village in the town of Goffstown in Hillsborough County, New Hampshire, United States. The population of the CDP was 3,196 at the 2010 census, out of 17,651 people in the entire town of Goffstown.Goffstown Covered Railroad Bridge
The Goffstown Covered Railroad Bridge was a rare railroad covered bridge in Goffstown, New Hampshire. It was built in 1901 by the Boston and Maine Railroad, on the site of an earlier bridge built in 1850 by the New Hampshire Central Railroad, and carried its tracks across the Piscataquog River in the center of Goffstown. The bridge was listed on the National Register of Historic Places in 1975, and destroyed by arson in 1976.Goffstown Main Street Historic District
The Goffstown Main Street Historic District is a historic district encompassing the historic 19th-century center of Goffstown, New Hampshire. Most of the district's 23 buildings lie on Main Street (New Hampshire Route 114), in a 0.5-mile (0.80 km) running north from the Piscataquog River to North Mast Street (the continuation of NH 114). The district also includes properties on Depot Street and Church Street, west of Main Street. It was listed on the National Register of Historic Places in 2007.Goffstown's first town center, established when the town was first settled in the 1740s, was in what is now Grasmere Village, east of the present center. A bridge was built near the present center in 1766, to facilitate the movement of felled trees used as ship masts by the Royal Navy, and a gristmill was built adjacent to the nearby falls. The railroad arrived at that point in 1850, after which what had been "West Village" became the dominant village. A town hall was built on Main Street in 1869, which burned in 1937 and a replacement built in 1947. The public library was added in 1901, and is separately listed on the National Register. The district includes a variety of houses, many dating to the early 19th century, and a few commercial buildings along Main Street.In addition to municipal buildings, there are two churches and several railroad-related buildings. The Goffstown Congregational Church, also separately listed, is the fourth meetinghouse for a congregation founded in 1768; it is a wood-frame structure built in 1840 and given a Queen Anne restyling in the 1890s. The Methodist Episcopal Church, built in 1889, is an L-shaped wood-frame structure facing North Mast and Summer Streets. There are two train depots: a passenger-only station built in 1880, and now on the grounds of the local hardware store, and an earlier freight-and-passenger station, a utilitarian structure built in 1850 and moved onto Depot Street to make way for the second building.There are two unusual objects in the district. One is a popcorn stand, which has been used during the warmer months since the 1930s, and is now operated by the local Lion's Club. At the northwest corner of High and North Mast Streets is a 19th-century horse watering trough, which is now used as a planter.Grasmere, New Hampshire
Grasmere, originally known as "Goffstown Centre", is an unincorporated community within the town of Goffstown, New Hampshire, in the United States. It straddles the Piscataquog River in the eastern part of Goffstown.
The southern portion of Grasmere used to be the site of the Hillsborough County Hospital, County Farm (penal institution) and Poorhouse. Perpendicular to those locations on the opposing northern side of the Piscataquog are the Grasmere General Store and the Grasmere Grange Hall at 86 Center Street (43°1′19″N 71°32′42″W); the building originally served as Grasmere Village's Town Hall (according to a sign posted in front of it) and has been occupied during the last decades of the twentieth century and the first decade of the twenty-first century by Merri-Loo Community Preschool, a non-profit cooperative school established in 1968. Across Center Street from the Grange Hall is the Hillside Cemetery with a sign posted dating its establishment "circa 1768" as of 2011 as well as the attached Hillside United Methodist Church. A sign above the main entrance to the Church reads,
18421 ST. M. E. CHURCHGRASMERE N.H.1878
The Hillsborough County Railroad Station was located in Grasmere on the southern side of the river. Rail-borne freight for Grasmere and other surrounding locales was retrieved at this station during the late nineteenth and early twentieth centuries. Another rail station in Goffstown was located further to the west nearer to the town center, and a third was Parker's Station to the west of the town center, nearing the border with Weare.List of New Hampshire historical markers (176–200)
This page is one of a series of pages that list New Hampshire historical markers. The text of each marker is provided within its entry.List of rivers of New Hampshire
This is a list of rivers and significant streams in the U.S. state of New Hampshire.
All watercourses named "River" (freshwater or tidal) are listed here, as well as other streams which are either subject to the New Hampshire Comprehensive Shoreland Protection Act or are more than 10 miles (16 km) long. New Hampshire rivers and streams qualify for state shoreland protection (and are listed here in bold) if they are fourth-order or larger water bodies, based on the Strahler method of stream order classification.Merrimack River
The Merrimack River (or Merrimac River, an occasional earlier spelling) is a 117-mile-long (188 km) river in the northeastern United States. It rises at the confluence of the Pemigewasset and Winnipesaukee rivers in Franklin, New Hampshire, flows southward into Massachusetts, and then flows northeast until it empties into the Gulf of Maine at Newburyport. From Pawtucket Falls in Lowell, Massachusetts, onward, the Massachusetts–New Hampshire border is roughly calculated as the line three miles north of the river.
The Merrimack is an important regional focus in both New Hampshire and Massachusetts. The central-southern part of New Hampshire and most of northeast Massachusetts is known as the Merrimack Valley.
Several U.S. naval ships have been named USS Merrimack and USS Merrimac in honor of this river. The river is perhaps best known for the early American literary classic A Week on the Concord and Merrimack Rivers by Henry David Thoreau.Middle Branch Piscataquog River
The Middle Branch of the Piscataquog River is a 10.6-mile-long (17.1 km) river located in southern New Hampshire in the United States. It is a tributary of the South Branch Piscataquog River, part of the Merrimack River watershed.
The Middle Branch of the Piscataquog begins at the outlet of Haunted Lake in the eastern part of Francestown, New Hampshire. The river travels east-northeast through the town of New Boston, entering Weare, where it turns abruptly south to reenter New Boston and join the South Branch.Pinardville, New Hampshire
Pinardville is a census-designated place (CDP) in the town of Goffstown in Hillsborough County, New Hampshire, United States. The population was 4,780 at the 2010 census. Pinardville has existed since 1906.Piscataqua
Piscataqua, believed to be an Abenaki word meaning rapid waters, may refer to:
Piscataqua River, a fast-moving estuarine river dividing coastal New Hampshire and Maine in the United States
Piscataqua River (Presumpscot River), a tributary of the Presumpscot River in MaineSouth Branch Piscataquog River
The South Branch of the Piscataquog River is a 20.5-mile-long (33.0 km) river located in southern New Hampshire in the United States. It is a tributary of the Piscataquog River, part of the Merrimack River watershed.
The South Branch of the Piscataquog begins at the outlet of Pleasant Pond in Francestown, New Hampshire. The river travels south-southeast until entering New Boston, where it turns northeast to flow to the Piscataquog River just over the town line in Goffstown. For most of its route, the South Branch passes through rolling, hilly country, occasionally dropping over small waterfalls. New Hampshire Route 13 follows the river closely from New Boston to Goffstown.Weare, New Hampshire
Weare is a town in Hillsborough County, New Hampshire, United States. The population was 8,785 at the 2010 census. It is close to two important New Hampshire cities, Manchester and Concord.Weare Reservoir
Weare Reservoir is a 268-acre (1.08 km2) impoundment on the Piscataquog River in Hillsborough County in southern New Hampshire, United States, in the town of Weare. The reservoir is also known as Lake Horace.
It is classified as a warmwater fishery, with observed species including rainbow trout, brown trout, smallmouth and largemouth bass, chain pickerel, horned pout, and black crappie.West Hopkinton, New Hampshire
West Hopkinton is a populated place within the town of Hopkinton in Merrimack County, New Hampshire, United States. West Hopkinton is well known for its agricultural center, preservation of historical landmarks and recreational activities within the village.
|Gulf of Maine|
|Long Island Sound|