Pionia ( Ancient Greek: Πιονία) or Pioniai (Πιονίαι) was a town in the interior of ancient Mysia, on the river Satnioeis, to the northwest of Antandrus, and to the northeast of Gargara. Under the Roman dominion it belonged to the jurisdiction of  Adramyttium, and in the ecclesiastical notices it appears as a  bishopric of the Hellespontine province. No longer the seat of a residential bishop, it remains a  titular see of the Roman Catholic Church.
Its site is located near Gömeniç in
Asiatic Turkey. 
Page numbers refer to those of Strabo. . xiii. p. 610. Geographica Isaac Casaubon's edition.
Pliny. . Naturalis Historia 5.32.
Hierocles. . p. 663. Synecdemus
Richard Talbert, ed. (2000). . Princeton University Press. p. 56, and directory notes accompanying. Barrington Atlas of the Greek and Roman World
Lund University. . Digital Atlas of the Roman Empire
This article incorporates text from a publication now in the public domain: Smith, William, ed. (1854–1857). "Pionia". . London: John Murray. Dictionary of Greek and Roman Geography
Coordinates: 39°37′34″N 27°34′46″E / 39.626196°N 27.579568°E Pionia
Pionia may refer to:
Pionia (Mysia), an ancient city in the Troad and a suffragan see in the Roman Empire (see Cyzicus)
Pionia (moth), synonym for the genus Correbia
This page is based on a Wikipedia article written by
Text is available under the CC BY-SA 3.0 license; additional terms may apply.
Images, videos and audio are available under their respective licenses.