Piazza Colonna is a piazza at the center of the Rione of Colonna in the historic heart of Rome, Italy. It is named for the marble Column of Marcus Aurelius, which has stood there since AD 193. The bronze statue of Saint Paul that crowns the column was placed in 1589, by order of Pope Sixtus V. The Roman Via Lata (now the Via del Corso) runs through the piazza's eastern end, from south to north.
The piazza is rectangular. Its north side is taken up by Palazzo Chigi, formerly the Austria-Hungary's embassy, but is now a seat of the Italian government. The east side is taken up by the 19th century public shopping arcade Galleria Colonna (since 2003 Galleria Alberto Sordi), the south side is taken up by the flank of Palazzo Ferrajoli, formerly the Papal post office, and the little Church of Santi Bartolomeo ed Alessandro dei Bergamaschi (1731-35). The west side is taken up by Palazzo Wedekind (1838) with a colonnade of Roman columns taken from Veii.
The piazza has been a monumental open space since Antiquity; the temple of Marcus Aurelius stood on the site of Palazzo Wedekind (TCI).
The fountain in the piazza (1577) was commissioned by Pope Gregory XIII from Giacomo Della Porta who was assisted by Rocco De Rossi. In 1830, it was restored and had two sets of dolphins side by side, with tails entwined, sculpted by Achille Stocchi, set at either end of the long basin. The central sculpture was then substituted with a smaller sculpture and spray.
Azienda per i Trasporti Autoferrotranviari del Comune di Roma (ATAC; Transport Company of the Municipality of Rome) is the company that runs most of the public transportation network in Rome and its surrounding municipalities.
Four million trips daily are made using ATAC services, transporting 1,148,966,529 passengers in 2009.Achille Stocchi
Achille Stocchi (dates uncertain, died after 1870) was an Italian sculptor who worked in Rome in the mid-nineteenth century.
His father was Amadeo Stocchi, a sculptor in the studio of Antonio Canova, who began well by winning a prize from the Accademia di San Luca but vanished in obscurity.In Giuseppe Valadier's systemization of Piazza del Popolo, Stocchi provided the Autumn in the set of seasons the crown the exedras that delimit the piazza east and west. (TCI). He was among the team of sculptors working in the Torlonia Chapel in San Giovanni in Laterano under the architect Quintiliano Raimondi (TCI) He provided the dolphins added to the fountain in Piazza Colonna.
In 1863 Achille Stocchi suggested a monument, for which he provided the plaster bozzetto (1867), commemorating the disfide di Barletta, 1503, when thirteen Italian champions turned back French forces in the city of Barletta; it was intended for the gardens of piazza Castello, but was not cast in bronze until 1980, long after Stocchi's death; it was reinstalled (2001) in a more prominent position, in piazza Fratelli Cervi. It shows the local hero Ettore Fieramosca besting the French knight Guy de la Motte.Annibale Lippi
Annibale Lippi (16th century-Rome, after 18 November 1581) was an Italian architect active during the second half of 16th century. He was son of the sculptor and architect Nanni di Baccio Bigio. Pupil of Francesco Salviati, his only certain works are the church of Our Lady of Loreto at Spoleto, built around 1572, where he adopts a Vignola style, the churches of Santa Maria a Monte Cavallo and Santa Maria della Pietà a Piazza Colonna, both in Rome. The Villa Medici in Rome, who used to be assigned to it, is probably due to his father, but he worked there during the construction. In Rome Lippi restored the Palazzo dei Convertendi at Piazza Scossacavalli in Borgo, when this was bought by Cardinal Francesco Commendone (1523–84), and gave to the building its definitive facade. In 1578 he appeared among the members of the Accademia dei Virtuosi at Pantheon. He died after 18 November 1581 when, already ill, wrote his testament, and was buried in the family tomb in Trinità dei Monti in Rome.Colonna, City of Rome
Colonna is the III rione of Rome and located at the city's historic center in Municipio I. It takes its name from the Column of Marcus Aurelius in the Piazza Colonna, the rione's main piazza. Today the rione covers 0.2689 km2 and as of 2011 had 2547 inhabitants. The rione reaches to one side of the Pincian Hill. During the short-lived Roman Republic of 1798 it also included the hill itself and was called Pincio rather than Colonna.The rione's insignia (or stemma) is a now a silver column representing the Column of Marcus Aurelius on a red background. However, the insignia originally consisted of three azure bands against a silver background.Column of Marcus Aurelius
The Column of Marcus Aurelius (Latin: Columna Centenaria Divorum Marci et Faustinae, Italian: Colonna di Marco Aurelio) is a Roman victory column in Piazza Colonna, Rome, Italy. It is a Doric column featuring a spiral relief: it was built in honour of Roman emperor Marcus Aurelius and modeled on Trajan's Column.Fontana dell'Acqua Felice
The Fontana dell'Acqua Felice, also called the Fountain of Moses, is a monumental fountain located in the Quirinale District of Rome, Italy. It marked the terminus of the Acqua Felice aqueduct restored by Pope Sixtus V. It was designed by Domenico Fontana and built in 1585-88.Fontana di Piazza Colonna
The fountain in the Piazza Colonna is a fountain in Rome, Italy, designed by the architect Giacomo Della Porta and constructed by the Fiesole sculptor Rocco Rossi between 1575 and 1577.The fountain was one of a group of sixteen fountains built by Della Porta following the reconstruction of the Acqua Vergine aqueduct, a project begun by Pope Pius IV in 1561 and finished by Pope Pius V in 1570. The fountain itself was built under Pope Gregory XIII, best known for creating the Gregorian calendar. Like the other Roman fountains of its time, it was built to provide clean drinking water to the Roman residents, who before then had to drink the polluted water of the Tiber River. Also like the other fountains of its time, it operated purely by gravity; the source of the water was higher the fountain itself, causing the water to spout into the air.
The water for the fountain first arrived at the old Trevi Fountain, then went two reservoirs at the foot of the butte of San Sebastiancello, then through a series of the channels to the corner of via Condotti and the via del Corso, to Piazza Venezia, to the foot of the column of Marcus Aurelius. The source of the water for the fountain of Piazza Colonna was only 67 feet above sea level; like the Trevi Fountain, the Fontana della Barcaccia, and the fountains of Piazza Navona, all connected to the Acqua Vergine, the fountain of Piazza Colonna was unable to jet water high into the air.The original project of Della Porta was to place an antique Roman statue of a sea god, called Marforio, in the fountain, against a background of a rocky grotto, behind which the column of Marcus Aurelius would be seen. The final fountain was simpler: the octagonal basin of the fountain was made of pink marble from the island of Chios in Greece, the same marble that Della Porta used for frame of the doorway of St. Peter's Basilica. Della Porta also designed the sixteen carved lion heads around the basin. A circular stone vasque was placed on a pedestal in the center, and water poured from this vasque into the basin.The fountain was slightly restored by Bernini during the pontificate of Pope Alexander VII. In 1702 Pope Clement XI placed his own coat of arms, a star with eight points, on top of the original vasque in the center, but this was removed after his death.
In 1830 the architect Alessandro Stocchi removed the original central vasque and replaced it with the current vasque, made of white marble. He also added two groups of sculptures of dolphins, their tails wrapped around seashells, spouting water from their mouths, at either end of the basin.Gabriele Valvassori
Gabriele Valvassori (21 August 1683 – 7 April 1761) was an Italian architect of the late-Baroque period, mainly active in his native city of Rome.
In 1711-1717, he helped design the small church of San Giuseppe alle Fornaci near Foligno and as an assistant to Filippo Barigioni, he helped the enlargement of the facilities at the thermal baths of Nocera Umbra .
In Rome, he was patronized by the Pamphilj family, helping design the main altar (1720) in the church of Sant'Agnese in Agone, which stands adjacent to the original family palace in Rome. In the 1730s, he helped in the designs of the Palazzo Doria-Pamphili. The complex we see today had expanded laterally from the palace at the site once owned by the Della Rovere and Aldobrandini families. Initial designs by Carlo Maderno, were amplified by Antonio del Grande and added to by Carlo Fontana (including chapel) and Francesco Nicoletti. Valvassori is responsible for the massive façade on the Via del Corso.
For the Archiconfraternity of Padri Bergamaschi, from 1729 to 1735, he helped develop their property on Piazza Colonna, which included the Cerasoli College. He aided in the restoration and remodeling of the Dominican church of Santi Quirico e Giulitta, in Rome. He designed the façade of Santa Maria dell'Orto.
In 1737, he became a member of the Accademia di San Luca and professor in 1758. He became a regent of the Congregazione dei Virtuosi al Pantheon.Il Tempo
Il Tempo (meaning Time in English) is a daily Italian newspaper published in Rome, Italy.List of fountains in Rome
This is a list of the notable fountains in Rome, Italy. Rome has fifty monumental fountains and hundreds of smaller fountains, over 2000 fountains in all, more than any other city in the world.Palazzo Chigi
The Palazzo Chigi (Italian pronunciation: [paˈlattso ˈkiːdʒi]) is a palace or noble residence in Rome which is the official residence of the Prime Minister of Italy. Since June 1, 2018, the occupant of the Palazzo Chigi has been Giuseppe Conte.
The Palazzo, overlooking the Piazza Colonna and the Via del Corso, was begun in 1562 by Giacomo della Porta and completed by Carlo Maderno in 1580 for the Aldobrandini family. In 1659 it was purchased by the Chigi family. It was then remodelled by Felice della Greca and Giovanni Battista Contini. It has five floors, a broad stairway that leads to the living rooms, and a courtyard decorated with a fountain, designed by Giacomo della Porta. The fountain has been copied in many sites in Rome and other Italian cities.
In 1878 it became the residence of the Austro-Hungarian Ambassador to Italy. In 1916 it was bought by the Italian state and became the seat of the Minister for Colonial Affairs. Later it was the official residence of the Italian Minister of Foreign Affairs. In 1961 it became the official meeting place of Council of Ministers whose President is the head of the Italian government.
The Library Hall was commissioned by Agostino Chigi at the end of the 17th century in order to house the enormous library of cardinal Flavio Chigi. The project was realized by Giovanni Battista Contini.
The Chigi library or Chigiana contained thousands of valuable manuscripts, to a large part based on the personal library of Pope Alexander VII, a member of the Chigi family. Since the time of Pope Benedict XV, the Vatican attempted to acquire this library, but lacked the necessary funds. Eventually, Pietro Tacchi Venturi was tasked by Pope Pius XI to negotiate the purchase with the newly formed fascist government of Benito Mussolini. Venturi managed to convince Mussolini to donate the library to the Vatican free of charge.Palazzo Wedekind
Palazzo Wedekind is a palazzo in Piazza Colonna in Rome, Italy, located next to the church of Santi Bartolomeo ed Alessandro dei Bergamaschi. It is notable as the historic offices of the daily paper Il Tempo.On a site occupied in antiquity by the Temple of Marcus Aurelius, the medieval buildings on the site were cleared for a structure erected by the Ludovisi (1659) that became the offices of the vicegerente of the vicariate of Rome. To house the general director of the postal service for the Papal States, moved here in 1814, the palazzo was completely rebuilt by Pope Gregory XVI to designs by Giuseppe Valadier carried out by Pietro Camporese the Younger. At Valadier's urging, Camporese added a portico built with twelve elegant Roman columns brought from the ruins of Veii, supplemented with two pairs of columns flanking the main doorway, retrieved from the basilica of San Paolo fuori le Mura, which burned in 1823.In 1852 it was bought by the rich banker Karl Wedekind, who rebuilt its interiors to plans by G.B. Giovenale. From 1871 the palazzo housed the Kingdom of Italy's Ministry of Education. For a short time in September 1943 until the liberation of Rome, the palazzo was the official base of the Fascisti romani.Piazza Farnese
Piazza Farnese, in Rome, is the main square of the Regola district.San Macuto, Rome
The church of San Macuto is a church on Piazza di San Macuto in the Colonna rione of Rome, Italy. Located next to the Jesuit Collegio di San Roberto Bellarmino in the Palazzo Gabrielli-Borromeo, it is the only church in Italy dedicated to the Breton saint Malo.Santi Bartolomeo ed Alessandro dei Bergamaschi
Santi Bartolomeo ed Alessandro dei Bergamaschi (Saint Bartholomew the Apostle and Alexander of Bergamo of the inhabitants of Bergamo) is a little church in Piazza Colonna in Rome, Italy, next to Palazzo Wedekind. Originally it was named Santa Maria della Pietà, from the high relief over the door. The present Santa Maria della Pietà in Rome is in Vatican City.
In its origins (1591) the church was the chapel erected by padre Ferrante Ruiz for the Ospedale dei Pazzarelli, Rome's first insane asylum. When this was moved to Via della Lungara in the 1720s, the church was given over to the Archiconfraternità dei Bergamaschi, who rebuilt it in 1731-35 to designs of Giuseppe Valvassori, added their patron saint to its dedication and used the hospital for their own sick. It is the burial place of Cardinal Giuseppe Alessandro Furietti, antiquarian and native of Bergamo.
It is looked after by the Arciconfraternità, a historic association of Bergamaschi living in Rome that was begun in 1539. It supports understanding of the culture, the values and the traditions of Bergamo and their fertile dialogue with those of Rome.Temple of Marcus Aurelius
The Temple of Marcus Aurelius was a temple in Rome dedicated to the deified Roman emperor Marcus Aurelius by his son Commodus. The temple has no surviving archaeological remains, but was probably sited just to the west of the column of Marcus Aurelius, where now stands the Palazzo Wedekind on Piazza Colonna. A porticus probably surrounded both the temple and the column.Via del Corso
The Via del Corso (ancient Via Lata, the urban stretch of Via Flaminia), is a main street in the historical centre of Rome. It is straight in an area characterized by narrow meandering alleys and small piazzas. Considered a wide street in ancient times, today the Corso is approximately 10 metres wide, and it only has room for two lanes of traffic and two narrow sidewalks. The northern portion of the street is a pedestrian area. The length of the street is roughly 1.5 kilometres.
The Corso runs in a generally north-south direction. To the north, it links the northern entrance gate to the city, the Porta del Popolo and its piazza, the Piazza del Popolo, to the heart of the city at the Piazza Venezia, at the base of the Capitoline Hill. At the Piazza del Popolo, Via del Corso is framed by two Baroque churches, Santa Maria dei Miracoli and Santa Maria in Montesanto, and along the street are the church of San Carlo al Corso, the church of San Giacomo in Augusta, the church of Gesù e Maria, the Piazza Colonna with the ancient column of Marcus Aurelius, the Galleria Alberto Sordi, the church of Santa Maria in Via Lata, the Oratory of Santissimo Crocifisso, the church of San Marcello al Corso and the Palazzo Doria Pamphili.
From the fifteenth century, the road served as the racetrack during the Roman Carnival for an annual running of riderless horses called the "corsa dei barberi", which is the source for the name Via del Corso. Following the assassination of King Umberto I in 1900, the road was re-named Corso Umberto I. In 1944, it became Corso del Popolo and two years later reverted to Corso.
Today, the Corso is a popular place for the passeggiata, the evening stroll for the populace to be seen and to see others. It is also an important shopping street for tourists and locals alike.Villa Ada
Villa Ada is a park in Rome, Italy, with a surface of 450 acres (1.8 km2) it is the second largest in the city after Villa Doria Pamphili. It is located in the northeastern part of the city.Viminal Hill
The Viminal Hill (; Latin: Collis Viminalis; Italian: Viminale [vimiˈnaːle]) is the smallest of the famous Seven Hills of Rome. A finger-shape cusp pointing toward central Rome between the Quirinal Hill to the northwest and the Esquiline Hill to the southeast, it is home to the Teatro dell'Opera and the Termini Railway Station.
At the top of Viminal Hill is the Palace of Viminale that hosts the headquarters of the Ministry of the Interior; currently the term Il Viminale means the Ministry of the Interior.
According to Livy, the hill first became part of the city of Rome, along with the Quirinal Hill, during the reign of Servius Tullius, Rome' sixth king, in the 6th century BC.