Peter Conder, OBE (20 March 1919 – 8 October 1993) was a British ornithologist and conservationist known predominantly for his contribution as Director of the Royal Society for the Protection of Birds.
|Born||20 March 1919|
|Died||8 October 1993 (aged 74)|
|Education||Cranleigh School, Surrey|
|Occupation||Ornithologist and Conservationist|
|Title||Director of the Royal Society for the Protection of Birds|
|Awards||Order of the British Empire|
|Years of service||1939 – 1945|
|Unit||Royal Corps of Signals|
|Battles/wars||World War II|
POW, 1940 – 1945
Peter Conder was born in Streatham, London, the son of John Reynolds Conder, a shipbroker, and his wife Edna Francis, née Benson. He was educated at Cranleigh School, Surrey. His interest in ornithology arose at Cranleigh School where he was a member of the school ornithological society; he recalled sneaking from the school dormitory for early morning birdwatching expeditions. After secondary school, Conder went to Lausanne, Switzerland, to learn French and spent six weeks in Newfoundland on a British Schools Exploring Society expedition. In the spring of 1938, he started work at the pioneering advertising agency S H Benson (founded by Conder's grandfather).
As war approached, Conder joined the Territorial Army, and was commissioned into the 2nd London Regiment, Royal Corps of Signals. When the British Expeditionary Force was sent to France (with World War I weapons) in 1939, he was deployed with the Royal Ulster Rifles, the Coldstream and the Grenadier Guards near Lille. On 12 June 1940 he was captured by the Germans at Saint-Valery-en-Caux, France, with the 51st (Highland) Infantry Division. They were marched through France, Belgium, Holland and Germany to Laufen on the German-Austrian border. Conder later wrote, "When I was captured I lost thirty thousand words. Two years' work".
From July 1940 to March 1941, Conder was incarcerated in Oflag VII-C, a prisoner-of-war-camp located in Laufen Castle on the banks of the Salzach river, Germany. In the spring of 1941, with the other younger officers he was moved to Stalag XXI-D in Poznań, Poland. In the move, he lost his suitcase containing writings of forty-five thousand words. A month later, Conder was moved to Stalag XX-A in the Toruń Fortress, Poland.
From Toruń, they were moved in June 1941 to Oflag V-B Biberach in southwest Germany. The camp was a modern German army barracks on the edge of the town set in a largely agricultural landscape with no trees or shrubs in the camp or close to it. Limited by the diversity of the local birds Conder spent the summer transcribing bird song.
Biberach was only 85 kilometres (53 mi) from the Swiss border and this short distance was the stimulus for several escape attempts. The most successful tunnel started below the seats (above the excreta) of a multi-holed lavatory which was situated on the edge of the camp. Eventually the digging team got out of the camp and four made it to the Schaffhausen Gap in Switzerland.
In the autumn of 1941, he was moved to Oflag VI-B in Dössel outside Warburg. The camp was on a plain which rose slightly to the south and was above the town of Warburg or the village of Dössel, so that except for a hill to the south they could see almost 360 degrees. Five hundred yards up the hill there was a barn which was important to the escapers. Officers with special interests had a chance to meet others with similar interests who had been in different camps and that went for birdwatchers particularly. Amongst these were John Barrett, John Buxton and George Waterston. They met once a month in John Buxton's room to record the birds they had seen and had regular talks and discussions.
In July he was watching the black redstart and for most of the winter, Conder watched the feeding and roosting habits of the local flock of rooks and jackdaws and observed the migration of a variety of species including crows moving northeast to Russia. The birdwatching prisoners stationed themselves on a slag heap in the upper part of the camp where they had an overall view of the sky and horizon and could watch and record the birds that passed.
He was arrested by the German guards in early 1942 as suspicions arose over his motives, as he was in a position to acquire intelligence for prisoners digging tunnels. Conder escaped twice; once through a tunnel with fourteen others, but he was recaptured after an hour. The second time the prisoners were being marched to a new camp responding to news of the approaching Allied forces, the line of prisoners was getting longer and longer and he and a friend dived into woods when they went round a bend. They hid in a barn for a few days and eventually saw American tanks approaching and were picked up. Conder arrived back in England on 5 April 1945.
Conder started recording the behaviour of the European goldfinch at this camp.
From 1947 Conder was warden at Skokholm Bird Observatory with the West Wales Field Society. Conder set high standards of research and observation, not only for birds, but for the whole range of island wildlife. He studied the northern wheatear.
In 1954 he became assistant secretary of the Royal Society for the Protection of Birds (RSPB), responsible for acquisition and management of nature reserves, research, prosecutions, monitoring oil pollution and pesticides, and the protection of rare birds including of the ospreys at Loch Garten, Strathspey.
Conder became the Director of the RSPB in 1963, Conder appointed specialist staff to deal with nature reserves, research, education, publications, film and financial administration. The membership rose from 20,000 to 200,000. Conservation achievements included the RSPB's contribution to the successful campaign to stop the use of organochlorine pesticides, ospreys had become established once more as a breeding species in Britain, the society's list of nature reserves was added to each year and the realisation of the significance of research to successful nature conservation, an applied science, was beginning to be taken seriously by government.
Conder retired in 1976.
Conder spent the next decade serving on training programmes, conservation panels and advisory boards in Britain and abroad.
His bird records are archived in the Edward Grey Institute of Ornithology, Oxford.
The Parish Church of St Andrew, Finghall, is the parish church for the village of Finghall in North Yorkshire, England. The building is located on the site of a much earlier Anglo-Saxon church and has some remnants of that era incorporated into the building, though the present structure dates back to the 12th century. The church is nearer to the hamlet of Akebar than it is to Finghall, which is 0.5 miles (0.80 km) to the south, because the church was originally in a medieval village that was deserted when it was ravaged by plague. The building is now a grade II* listed structure and is still used for worship.Cranleigh School
Cranleigh School is an independent English boarding school in the village of Cranleigh, Surrey.
The Good Schools Guide described the school as a "Hugely popular school with loads on offer, improving academia and mega street cred. Ideal for the sporty, energetic, sociable, independent and lovely child."George Waterston
George Waterston OBE FRSE FZS LLD (1911–1980) was a 20th-century Scottish stationer remembered as an ornithologist and conservationist.
He founded the Inverleith Field Club in 1929 and co-founded what was the Midlothian Ornithologists' Club and is now the Scottish Ornithologists' Club. He was their President, Secretary, Treasurer and Hon. President at various times.
He was also one of the founders of the Scottish Arctic Club with its Waterston Arctic Library, now held by the Royal Scottish Geographical Society.
He was Director of the Royal Society for the Protection of Birds in Scotland.John Barrett (conservationist)
John Henry Barrett (21 July 1913 – 9 February 1999) was a pioneering conservationist, author and broadcaster, who was the first Warden at Dale Fort Field Centre in Pembrokeshire.John Buxton (ornithologist)
Edward John Mawby Buxton, (16 December 1912 – 11 December 1989) was a scholar, university teacher, poet and an ornithologist who played a significant part in the development of ornithology in Britain in the years immediately after World War II.John Buxton was born in Bramhall, Cheshire, and educated at Yarlet Hall, Malvern College, and New College, Oxford. Before the war he visited Norway several times and gave lectures on English Literature at Oslo University. He also went on digging expeditions to Palestine and Ireland. He was Warden at Skokholm Bird Observatory in 1939 with his wife, Marjorie (Ronald Lockley's sister), conducting research and bird ringing.List of non-fiction writers
The term non-fiction writer covers vast numbers of fields. This list includes those with a Wikipedia page who had non-fiction works published.
Countries named are where authors worked for long periods.
Subject codes: A (architecture), Aa (applied arts), Af (armed forces), Ag (agriculture), Ar (archeology, prehistory), B (business, finance), Bg (biography), Bk (books), C (cookery, housekeeping), Cr (crime, disasters), D (drama, film), E (economics), Ed (education, child care), F (feminism, role of women), Fa (fashion), Fi (fine arts), G (gardening), H (history, antiquarianism), I (information technology), J (journalism, broadcasting), L (language), Lc (literary criticism), Lw (law), M (medicine, health), Ma (mathematics), Mu (music), N (natural sciences), Nh (natural history, environment), P (polymath), Ph (philosophy), Po (politics, government), Ps (psychology), R (religion, metaphysics), S (social sciences, society), Sp (sports, games, hunting), T (travel, localities), Tr (transport)
Language is mentioned where unclear.
The single book title exemplifying an author's work also needs a Wikipedia page for inclusion.Oflag VI-B
Oflag VI-B was a World War II German prisoner-of-war camp for officers (Offizerlager), 1 km (0.6 mi) southwest of the village of Dössel (now part of Warburg) in northwestern Germany.Rare Breeding Birds Panel
The Rare Breeding Birds Panel (RBBP) is an ornithological body which collects data on the breeding attempts and successes of the rarer species of birds in the United Kingdom. It was created in 1968 as a subcommittee of the RSPB, with representation from the Nature Conservancy Council (NCC) and British Birds magazine.In December 1972 it became an autonomous body, financed jointly by the BTO, RSPB, British Birds and, later, the NCC. Its role was given as:
The aims of the Panel are to collect in one place all information on rare breeding birds so that changes in status—both increases and decreases—can be monitored, and so that essential information is not lost (as has happened in the past) through the deaths of those keeping rare breeding records secret.
The panel collects data on more than 160 species of rare and scarce breeding birds in the UK. These are divided into four categories:
Category A - Rare species
Category B - Less scarce species
Category C - Less scarce and widespread species
Category D - Rare non-native speciesThe panel's logo is a black-necked grebe.Royal Society for the Protection of Birds
The Royal Society for the Protection of Birds (RSPB) is a charitable organisation registered in England and Wales and in Scotland. It was founded in 1889. It works to promote conservation and protection of birds and the wider environment through public awareness campaigns, petitions and through the operation of nature reserves throughout the United Kingdom.The RSPB has over 1,300 employees, 18,000 volunteers and more than a million members (including 195,000 youth members), making it the largest wildlife conservation charity in Europe. The RSPB has many local groups and maintains 200 nature reserves.Stalag XX-A
Stalag XX-A was a German World War II prisoner of war camp located in Thorn/Toruń, Poland. It was not a single camp and contained as many as 20,000 men at its peak. The main camp was located in a complex of fifteen forts that surrounded the whole of the city. The forts had been built at the end of the 19th century to defend the western border of Kingdom of Prussia.Stalag XXI-D
Stalag XXI-D was a German World War II PoW Camp based in Poznań (Posnan), Poland.