Perrine's Bridge is the second oldest covered bridge in the State of New York, after the Hyde Hall Bridge in East Springfield. Once located in the hamlet called Perrines Bridge between 1850 and 1861. It is located in the modern day town of Esopus-Rosendale, New York just a few hundred feet to the east of Interstate 87 crossing of the Wallkill River in Ulster County, New York. Originally built to aid in the movement of trade between the towns of Rifton and Rosendale, the bridge is about 90 miles north of New York city between mile markers 81 and 82 on the New York State Thruway (Interstate 87). In May 1834 the State of New York authorized and provided money ($700) to Ulster county, NY (which invested $1500), to build the bridge. In 1835, the bridge was built by Benjamin Wood (b. 1780 d. 1838), the one-lane wooden covered bridge has been closed to vehicular traffic since 1930. The Bridge derives its name from James W. Perrine (b. 1780 d. 1849), a descendant of Daniel Perrin "The Huguenot", who was a tavern keeper that opened an inn on the east side of that future bridge in 1820. Perrine's son was hired each winter as the "snower". He would spread snow the length of the structure so horse-drawn sleighs could cross.
It was declared as a New York Historical site in 1966 and listed in the National Register of Historic Places as of April 13, 1973. It has been restored many times, the last in 1997 at a cost of $195,000.
Perrine's Bridge in September 2007
|Total length||138 feet (42 m)|
|Width||20 feet (6 m)|
|Clearance above||11 feet (3.4 m)|
|Location||Off I-87 over Wallkill River, Rosendale, New York|
|Area||21 acres (8.5 ha)|
|Architectural style||Burr Arch|
|NRHP reference #||73001281|
|Added to NRHP||April 13, 1973|
Cohoes Falls [Kahon:ios, Mohawk for "Canoe Falls"] is a waterfall on the Mohawk River shared by the city of Cohoes and the town of Waterford, New York, United States. Discovered by the indigenous people, the falls were called Ga-ha-oose or Ga-ho'n'-yoos by the Mohawks, which is believed to mean "The Place of the Falling Canoe." Cohoes historian Arthur Masten wrote in his 1880 history that the phrase might mean "Potholes in the River," referring to the potholes that appear in the riverbed when it is dry. In the oral tradition of the Haudenosaunee (Iroquois), the Cohoes Falls are the site where The Great Peacemaker, performed a feat of supernatural strength, convincing the Mohawk people to become the founders of the Iroquois League of Nations or Confederacy. Some historians believe the Mohawks launched the Confederacy as early as 1142 CE, though other experts report dates ranging from 1450-1650.
Celebrated by 18th-century travelers in letters and journals, the Cohoes Falls, also called The Great Falls of the Mohawk, were regarded as the second-most beautiful cataract in New York State after Niagara. In 1804, the national poet of Ireland, Thomas Moore, visited Cohoes and wrote a paean to the waterfall's beauty: "Lines Written at the Cohos, or Falls of the Mohawk River."
In 1831, town leaders built a dam across the Mohawk River to harness the power of the falls to fuel the turbines of the city's burgeoning textile industry. Over the next several decades, the predominant company, Harmony Mills, became the largest manufacturer of cotton in the United States, thanks to its control of local water rights. When all the mills closed in the wake of the Great Depression, city leaders neglected the potential of the falls for tourism. They leased the flow rights to a series of power companies, including Niagara Mohawk and Orion Power.
The Erie Canal was planned to overcome the navigational barrier of the Cohoes Falls. The original "Clinton's Ditch", the Erie Canal of 1825, was built through the city of Cohoes. The later Enlarged Canal was realigned, yet still went through the City of Cohoes. The Barge Canal, which opened in 1918, bypasses Cohoes and runs though the Village of Waterford via the Waterford Flight of Locks.
The Cohoes Falls is 90 feet (28 m) high and 1,000 feet (305 m) wide. Its flow is most impressive in springtime, sometimes running at 90,000 cubic feet (2,500 m3) of water per second, but as the season changes, there is less water for the falls because so much of the flow is diverted at the Crescent Dam to the Barge Canal through Lock 6. Most of the water is still diverted for power generation; some is diverted for the Cohoes water supply. During the summer, the falls are virtually dry, revealing shale rock formations that have their own distinctive beauty. The 87-year average flow of the Mohawk River at Cohoes is 34,638 cubic feet per second, but this includes water diverted to the power plant and Erie Canal locks.East River
The East River is a salt water tidal estuary in New York City. The waterway, which is actually not a river despite its name, connects Upper New York Bay on its south end to Long Island Sound on its north end. It separates the borough of Queens on Long Island from the Bronx on the North American mainland, and also divides Manhattan from Queens and Brooklyn, which are also on Long Island. Because of its connection to Long Island Sound, it was once also known as the Sound River. The tidal strait changes its direction of flow frequently, and is subject to strong fluctuations in its current, which are accentuated by its narrowness and variety of depths. The waterway is navigable for its entire length of 16 miles (26 km), and was historically the center of maritime activities in the city, although that is no longer the case.List of New York State Historic Markers in Ulster County, New York
This is an incomplete list of New York State Historic Markers in Ulster County, New York.List of bridges and tunnels on the National Register of Historic Places in New York
This is a list of bridges and tunnels on the National Register of Historic Places in the U.S. state of New York.List of covered bridges in New York
This is a list of covered bridges in New York State.
The New York State Office of Parks, Recreation and Historic Preservation identifies 29 covered bridges in New York State as historic, but these are not all listed on the National Register of Historic Places. The New York Society of Covered Bridges lists 24 historic covered bridges.One of the NRHPs, Old Blenheim Bridge, has further been declared to be a National Historic Landmark and also has described by a Historic American Engineering Record. It may be the longest single-span covered bridge in the United States or in the world.List of crossings of the Wallkill River
This is a list of the crossings of the Wallkill River (all bridges) from its mouth at Sturgeon Pool in Rifton, New York to its source at Lake Mohawk, New Jersey.National Register of Historic Places listings in Ulster County, New York
List of the National Register of Historic Places listings in Ulster County, New York
This is intended to be a complete list of properties and districts listed on the National Register of Historic Places in Ulster County, New York. The locations of National Register properties and districts (at least for all showing latitude and longitude coordinates below) may be seen in a map by clicking on "Map of all coordinates". Eight of the properties and districts are further designated as U.S. National Historic Landmarks.
This National Park Service list is complete through NPS recent listings posted October 11, 2019.New York State Route 213
New York State Route 213 (NY 213) is a state highway located entirely in Ulster County. It runs from the eastern Catskills to downtown Kingston.
While it is signed as an east–west route, most of its course consists of two segments running in a more north–south direction, giving it a V-shape on the map. The only section of the highway to truly run east–west is a middle segment between its two concurrencies, in the vicinity of High Falls.Rifton, New York
Rifton is a hamlet (and census-designated place) in Ulster County, New York, United States. The population was 456 at the 2010 census.Rifton is near the west town line of the Town of Esopus on Route 213.The Palisades (Hudson River)
The Palisades, also called the New Jersey Palisades or the Hudson River Palisades, are a line of steep cliffs along the west side of the lower Hudson River in Northeastern New Jersey and Southeastern New York in the United States. The cliffs stretch north from Jersey City about 20 miles (32 km) to near Nyack, New York, and visible at Haverstraw, New York. They rise nearly vertically from near the edge of the river, and are about 300 feet (90 m) high at Weehawken, increasing gradually to 540 feet (160 m) high near their northern terminus. North of Fort Lee, the Palisades are part of Palisades Interstate Park and are a National Natural Landmark.The Palisades are among the most dramatic geologic features in the vicinity of New York City, forming a canyon of the Hudson north of the George Washington Bridge, as well as providing a vista of the Manhattan skyline. They sit in the Newark Basin, a rift basin located mostly in New Jersey.
Palisade is derived from the same root as the word pale, ultimately from the Latin word palus, meaning stake. A "palisade" is, in general, a defensive fence or wall made up of wooden stakes or tree trunks. The Lenape called the cliffs "rocks that look like rows of trees", a phrase that became "Weehawken", the name of a town in New Jersey that sits at the top of the cliffs across from Midtown Manhattan.
Hudson River watershed