Pendlebury is a suburban town in the City of Salford, Greater Manchester, England. The population at the 2011 Census was 13,069. It lies 4.1 miles (6.6 km) northwest of Manchester city centre, 3.4 miles (5.5 km) northwest of Salford, and 5.9 miles (9.5 km) southeast of Bolton.
Historically in Lancashire, Pendlebury, together with the neighbouring settlements of Swinton and Clifton, formed the municipal borough of Swinton and Pendlebury. Pendlebury saw extensive coal extraction from several collieries until the closure of Agecroft Colliery in the 1990s.
St John's Church, Pendlebury
|OS grid reference|
|• London||167 mi (269 km) SE|
|Sovereign state||United Kingdom|
|EU Parliament||North West England|
Pendlebury is formed from the Celtic pen meaning hill and burh a settlement. The township was variously recorded as Penelbiri, Pennilbure, Pennebire and Pennesbyry in the 13th century, Penilburi in 1300, Penulbury in 1332; Penhulbury in 1358, Pendulbury in 1561 and Pendlebury after 1567.
In 1199 King John confirmed a gift of a carucate of land called Peneberi to Ellis son of Robert. He had made the grant when he was Earl of Mortain (1189–99) and confirmed it when he became king in a deed signed at Le Mans in France. Ellis was described as Master Sergeant of Salford and a benefactor of Cockersand Abbey.
In 1201 Pendlebury was linked to the manor of Shoresworth to the south (described as "one oxgang of land") before Shoreworth became part of Pendleton. The manors of Pendlebury and Shoresworth were held of the king in thegnage by a rent of 12 shillings in 1212. Ellis died in or about 1216, and his son Adam succeeded to his manor and serjeanty. In 1274 Ellis, son of Roger came to a violent death, and Amabel, his widow claimed dower in various lands against Roger de Pendlebury. A short time afterwards, Amabel having received her dower, she and Roger de Pendlebury had to defend a suit brought by Adam de Pendlebury, who satisfied the jury of his title to the manor. Ellis had a brother, William and daughters Maud, Lettice and Beatrice. Maud married Adam son of Alexander de Pilkington of Pilkington, and had a daughter Cecily. The manor was sold before 1300 to Adam de Prestwich. The new lord of Pendlebury married Alice de Woolley daughter of Richard son of Henry de Pontefract, the eventual heir was his daughter Alice, wife of Jordan de Tetlow. Her heir was her daughter, Joan, who married Richard de Langley, and the manor descended with the Langleys until the end of the 16th century. Robert Langley died 19 September 1561, leaving four daughters as co-heirs. On the division of the estates, Agecroft, and lands in Pendlebury, became the portion of Anne, who married William Dauntesey, from Wiltshire. The manor of Pendlebury was claimed by the Daunteseys for some time, but was afterwards held with Prestwich, descending in the Coke family until about 1780, when it was sold to Peter Drinkwater of Irwell House, Prestwich.
Agecroft Hall, the Tudor home of the Lord of the Manor of Pendlebury, stood on rising ground on the west side of the River Irwell, where it flows southwards towards Salford and Manchester between the high ground of Kersal and Prestwich to the east and north, and Irlams o' th' Height and Pendlebury on the west. Building probably began towards the end of the reign of Henry VII. In 1666, of the thirty-five hearths liable for tax in Pendlebury, Agecroft Hall the only large house had eleven hearths.
At the end of the 19th century, industrialisation swept through the Irwell Valley. Collieries were sunk around Agecroft Hall, railway tracks cut across the manor and a dirty lake formed on the edge of the estate. The house fell into disrepair and was sold at auction in 1925 to Mr and Mrs Thomas C Williams. The structure was dismantled, crated, shipped across the Atlantic, and painstakingly reassembled in Windsor Farms, Richmond, Virginia, USA. Agecroft Hall is re-created as a tourist attraction on the banks of the James River, in a setting chosen to be reminiscent of its original site at Agecroft near the River Irwell.
The Langley name is remembered locally by having several streets, Langley Road, Langley Mill and Langley housing estate in Middleton named after the family. Agecroft Hall Estate is a recently built housing estate on Agecroft Road (A6044), named after the hall.
Pendlebury saw extensive coal extraction until the closure of Agecroft Colliery in the 1990s. Wheatsheaf Colliery was on Bolton Road between Carrington Street and City Walk on what is now the Wheatsheaf Industrial Estate and Newtown Colliery (on the Clifton/Newtown, Pendlebury boundary, bounded by Manchester Road/Bolton Road (A666), Billy Lane, Rake Lane and the pit lodge ('the Dam'), which later became known as "Queensmere"). Agecroft Colliery reopened in 1960 following an investment of £9,000,000 and seven years of establishment works, making it the first new pit to be sunk in Lancashire since the Second World War. Agecroft stood on the site of Lumn's Colliery which had an unusual arrangement of winding gear concealed in three huge towers – the tallest of which was 174 feet (53 m) high and which was abandoned in 1932. After 1947 Agecroft Colliery sent much of its coal to the CEGB's Agecroft Power Station, via a conveyor belt system that crossed a bridge over Agecroft Road. Mining finished in 1990, and the Agecroft Colliery site is now home to the Agecroft Commerce Park.
The Kearsley, Clifton, Pendlebury and Pendleton Miners' Association was established in 1888 and became the Pendlebury Branch of the National Union of Mineworkers in 1959. With the decline of the industry, the once popular Pendlebury Miners' Club (at the top of Temple Drive, Swinton) was demolished in the 1990s.
Pendlebury was joined with Swinton in 1875 to form a local board of health area and was later governed by the Swinton and Pendlebury Urban District Council. Incorporation of Clifton into the Municipal Borough of Swinton and Pendlebury was a result of the abolition of the predecessor, Barton-upon-Irwell Urban District.
Swinton and Pendlebury was a municipal borough of the administrative county of Lancashire, which contained Pendlebury, Swinton and Clifton. It received a Charter of Incorporation from the 18th Earl of Derby on 29 September 1934 at a ceremony in Victoria Park, Swinton when council meetings were held in Victoria House in the park. The new borough council required larger premises and launched a competition to design a new town hall. The winners were architects Sir Percy Thomas and Ernest Prestwich. The site of Swinton Industrial Schools on Chorley Road in Swinton was purchased for £12,500 and the foundation stone of the new town hall laid on 17 October 1936. It opened on 17 September 1938 and since 1 April 1974 has been the administrative headquarters of the enlarged Salford City Council.
Pendlebury is situated on a ridge overlooking the lower Irwell Valley, almost midway between Manchester and Bolton and is neighboured by Irlams o' th' Height, Pendleton and Clifton. Much of the boundary between Pendlebury and Clifton is defined by Slack Brook which was culverted many years ago after the area was used for landfill. Slack Brook eventually empties into the Irwell a short distance upstream from Agecroft Road Bridge (A6044). The surface of the land slopes generally upwards from southwest (Swinton) to northeast (Irwell Valley), from about 120 feet (37 m) to nearly 300 feet (91 m) above the ordnance datum. However, the topography of the land around Lumn's Lane has changed due to the dumping of mining waste from the former collieries and the area has been used as a landfill site by the Greater Manchester Waste Disposal Authority since 1982, taking ten percent of Greater Manchester's waste each year.
The town has a mix of industrial and residential areas despite the closure of its mines and most of its cotton mills.
In the 19th century the manufacture and printing of cottons were the principal industries of the town, although most of these industries have disappeared. The only mill left is the Newtown Mill on Lees Street. It was acquired by Vanguard Holdings Ltd in January 2008 and converted into a business centre.
Acme Mill, which helped shape L. S. Lowry's perceptions, was the first cotton spinning mill in the UK to be electrically powered, was situated south of the Manchester-Wigan railway line on the eastern side Swinton Hall Road. It was demolished in the 1980s to make way for a small housing estate. Swinton Hall Road, between its junction with Bolton Road and the Swinton parish boundary, was originally called Bury Lane, and should not be confused with the original name of Station Road (B5231) – Burying Lane – which is the main road link between Swinton (A6) and Pendlebury (A666). The remaining section of Swinton Hall Road, between the Swinton parish boundary (near junction with Temple Drive) and Station Road, was known as Jane Lane.
The site of the demolished Agecroft Power Station is occupied by Forest Bank Prison. Development of the site of the former Agecroft Colliery into an industrial park has provided some employment in the town.
Pendlebury is the starting point of the A666 (Bolton Road) road which runs through the district from its junction with the A6/A580 at the Pendlebury/Irlams o' th' Height boundary. It was the main route between Manchester and Bolton before the opening of the M61 motorway.
The Manchester, Bolton and Bury Canal opened in 1809 and during the 19th and early 20th century provided the main means of transporting the coal from the collieries, many of which set up tramway links to the canal. Coal was taken to Bolton, Bury, Radcliffe and Salford, and across the River Irwell to Manchester. In 1905 over half a million tons of coal a year was carried. Lengths of the canal subsided due to mining subsidence; maps from 1881–82 show areas of coal under the canal were bought by the canal company to safeguard it from subsidence. The canal became disused after 1924 and closed in 1961, though coal was still carried for a short distance to Bury until 1968. A canal restoration society was founded in 1987 and persuaded Bury, Bolton and Salford councils to protect the line of the canal from development – restoration was announced by British Waterways in 2002.
Pendlebury was served by Pendlebury railway station on the Manchester Victoria to Wigan line for over 80 years, until its closure on Saturday 1 October 1960 by British Railways due to low usage. Irlams o' th' Height railway station in the eastern extremity of the borough was closed for similar reasons five years earlier. Swinton railway station is located just over the boundary in Pendlebury.
Pendlebury was on a line between Patricroft on the Manchester to Liverpool line and Clifton Junction until the Black Harry Tunnel collapse of 1953 which caused five deaths when two houses from Temple Drive, Swinton collapsed into the void – the line never reopened and much of its length is now a recreational footpath.
The 45-acre (18 ha) Northern or Agecroft Cemetery opened on 2 July 1903 by the County Borough of Salford (outside its boundaries) on the flood plain between Langley Road and the River Irwell by the border with Kersal. A crematorium was opened in the nonconformist burial chapel in 1957. A fund has been launched, supported by the council and external partners, to restore the unused central burial chapel which has fallen into a state of disrepair.
The architectural highlight of the town is the Grade I listed Gothic style High Anglican St Augustine's Church, designed by the 19th century architect George Frederick Bodley between 1871 and 1874 and widely acknowledged as his finest work. It is one of six Grade I listed buildings in the City of Salford. The church became known as the miners' cathedral because of its lofty appearance and because many local men were colliers. The churchyard contains a memorial to 178 men and boys who died in a disaster at Clifton Hall Colliery on 18 June 1885. 64 victims are buried at St Augustine's. In May 2006, the church became the focal point of a campaign by English Heritage to save 19 places of worship in Greater Manchester from falling into dilapidation.
At the junction of Bolton Road and Agecroft Road stands a stone cross with the inscription "Lest We Forget". Behind it is a stone wall on which is written:
"This cross was erected by Andrew Knowles and Sons to the memory of the brave men from their collieries who laid down their lives for their country A.D. 1914–1918"
Below the inscription are eight slate plaques inscribed with the names of 24 men who worked for Andrew Knowles and Sons.
The former home of Swinton RLFC, Station Road, which held numerous internationals and major rugby league matches before its closure in 1992 was located in Pendlebury. Swinton announced its intention to return to a site adjacent to Agecroft Road, Pendlebury currently known as "Agecroft Farm" in August 2006. Langworthy ARLFC has been based in Pendlebury (at Rabbit Hills playing fields, Bolton Road) for over 20 years, whilst local rivals Folly Lane ARLFC operate on the Blue Ribbon field off Pendlebury Road.
St John the Evangelist churchyard is the burial place of Geoff Bent, one of the "Busby Babes" from Manchester United F.C. who perished in the Munich air disaster on 6 February 1958. St John's is also the burial place of Jim Valentine, captain of Swinton Rugby Club, an England rugby union international in the late Victorian era. His 48 tries for "The Lions" in the 1888–89 season stands as a club record.
Pendlebury Coyotes, won the amateur World Championship in inline hockey at under-21 level in 2006 and were runners up in the World Championship at senior level.
Pendlebury was home to the painter L. S. Lowry (1887–1976) and actor Ben Kingsley (born 1943), who, at differing times, lived in adjacent houses on Station Road. Lowry lived at 117 Station Road from 1909 to 1948, after his parents moved from Victoria Park in Manchester when he was 22. Here Lowry produced many of his famous works, drawing inspiration from the industrial scenes about him. It has been reported that, having missed a train from Pendlebury railway station, Lowry encountered the changing of shifts at Acme Mill and marvelled at the spectacle – this being the moment he decided that industrial scenes were fitting for further work. His picture Pendlebury Scene shows an aspect of the Acme Mill from George Street, both now gone.
Ben Kingsley was born in Snainton near Scarborough, North Riding of Yorkshire, but attended Manchester Grammar School whilst living at 119 Station Road where his father was a doctor. Both houses stand opposite St Mark's R.C. Church.
Television scriptwriter Tony Warren was born in Wilton Avenue in Pendlebury in 1936. He is best known as the creator of the award-winning soap opera Coronation Street, one of the longest-running television programmes in the UK.
Manchester United's Ryan Giggs grew up in Beverley Road in Pendlebury, after moving from South Wales with his family when his father Danny Wilson switched rugby codes to sign for Swinton R.L.F.C.. In 2009 Giggs was granted the freedom of Salford.
The 2019 Salford City Council election to elect members of Salford City Council in England took place on 2 May 2019. This was on the same day as other local elections.A666 road
The A666 is a major road in Greater Manchester and Lancashire, England. Known as Manchester Road, Bolton Road, or Blackburn Road, depending on which area it is in, it runs from its junction with the A6, M61 and A580 at the Irlams o' th' Height boundary with Pendlebury near Manchester, through Pendlebury, Clifton, Kearsley, Farnworth, Bolton, Darwen and Blackburn before meeting the A59 at Langho. Along the route are the West Pennine Moors, the Turton and Entwistle reservoir and the Entwistle reservoir forest.
It is sometimes referred to as the Devil's Highway or the Devil's Road because of Biblical associations of its number 666, and its high accident rate on the moors between Egerton and Darwen. Conversely, for a short length from the M61 Kearsley spur and bypassing Farnworth to central Bolton, it is officially called St. Peter's Way.
Road works (speed limit changed from 70mph to 50mph, speed cameras, better safety fencing, banning cyclists from the road, slip road changes) finished at the start of 2000 reduced traffic collisions and crashes by 60%. Before this it was having 26 vehicle collisions and crashes a year with 40 people injured.Agecroft Cemetery
Agecroft Cemetery and Crematorium is a public cemetery in Pendlebury, Salford, Greater Manchester. Agecroft Cemetery was opened as Salford Northern Cemetery by Salford County Borough Council on 2 July 1903 on 45 acres (18.2 hectares) of ground because the existing cemetery at Weaste was near to capacity. The new cemetery, which lies in the Irwell Valley alongside the river bounded by Agecroft Road (A6044) and Langley Road in Pendlebury, was initially outside the Salford county borough boundary, but has lain within the city since Pendlebury was incorporated into the City of Salford in 1974. Since the cemetery was opened more than 53,700 interments have been carried out. The original non-conformist chapel was converted to a crematorium in January 1957 which since then has handled nearly 60,000 cremation services. The crematorium chapel can hold up to 60 mourners.
In the grounds is a large disused mortuary chapel with a clock tower. It is now derelict and hidden by trees. It is listed as a heritage building at risk by the Victorian Society. At the very opposite side of the cemetery to what was the original non-conformist chapel (and now the crematorium), there stood a Roman Catholic chapel surrounded largely by Catholic graves. This was pulled down many years ago and all that remains is a grassed/shrubbery roundabout.
Near the entrance is a stone memorial to the seven-man crew of Lancaster bomber PB304 which crashed in Regatta Street, off Langley Road, Agecroft, Pendlebury very close to the then boundary between Pendleton, Salford and Pendlebury on 30 July 1944 carrying a full bomb load. The cemetery contains the war graves of 160 Commonwealth service personnel of both of the 20th century's world wars. The majority of the graves are scattered within the cemetery but there is a group of eleven and two special memorial headstones to those whose graves could not be marked.Andrew Pendlebury
Andrew Scott Pendlebury (born 1952) is an Australian guitarist-songwriter. From 1977 to 1981 was a member of The Sports (with Stephen Cummings) and from 1986 to 1988 he joined Slaughtermen (with Ian Stephen). He has undertaken other projects and issued four solo albums. At the ARIA Music Awards of 1993, Pendlebury's solo work, Don't Hold Back That Feeling, won Best Adult Contemporary Album. In 1999 Australian rock music historian, Ian McFarlane, described Pendlebury as having "pursued a career that garnered him much critical acclaim, but little in the way of mainstream success. Although occasionally compared with Tommy Emmanuel, Pendlebury has preferred to follow a more low-key, highly specialised path away from the limelight". From 2003 he has been a member of The Mercurials.Anne Scott-Pendlebury
Anne Scott-Pendlebury (also known as Anne Pendlebury) is an Australian television and film actress, who played the role of Hilary Robinson in the soap opera, Neighbours during the late 1980s and early 1990s. She has a number of other television credits which date back to 1967 when she played Cathy in the Australian Broadcasting Commission produced soap opera, Bellbird, including a number of appearances between 1967 and 1975 in episodes of Homicide. She has also performed on stage with the Melbourne Theatre Company. Scott-Pendlebury is the daughter of L. Scott Pendlebury (1914–1986) and Eleanor Constance "Nornie" Gude (1915–2002), both were artists; she is the older sister of Andrew Pendlebury, a musician.Ben Kingsley
Sir Ben Kingsley (born Krishna Pandit Bhanji; 31 December 1943) is a British actor with a career spanning over 50 years. He has won an Oscar, Grammy, BAFTA, two Golden Globes, and a Screen Actors Guild Award. He is known for his starring role as Mohandas Gandhi in the 1982 film Gandhi, for which he won the Academy Award for Best Actor. He has appeared in Schindler's List (1993), Twelfth Night (1996), Sexy Beast (2000), House of Sand and Fog (2003), Lucky Number Slevin (2006), Shutter Island (2010), Prince of Persia: The Sands of Time (2010), Hugo (2011), Iron Man 3 (2013), The Boxtrolls (2014), and The Jungle Book (2016).
Kingsley was appointed Knight Bachelor in 2002 for services to the British film industry. In 2010, he was awarded a star on the Hollywood Walk of Fame. In 2013, he received the Britannia Award for Worldwide Contribution to Filmed Entertainment.Copeland Trophy
The E.W. Copeland Trophy is an Australian rules football award given by the Collingwood Football Club to the player adjudged best and fairest for Collingwood during the year.
The Copeland Shield, as it was formerly known, was donated by Ern Copeland, the secretary who came to the club in 1895 and led the club through the 1890s depression, saving it from financial ruin. He remained an employee of Collingwood for 29 years, finally retiring in 1924. The trophy was unveiled in 1932, with the best and fairest award winners from the previous five years engraved on the trophy.Along with the Copeland Trophy, the R.T. Rush Trophy is awarded to the second best and fairest player, the J.J. Joyce Trophy is awarded to the third placed player, the Jock McHale Trophy to the fourth placed player, and the Jack Regan Trophy to the fifth placed player.
The voting system as of the 2017 AFL season, consists of five coaches awarding 22 votes per match, with no specific distribution required. If two players are tied at the end of the season, the player with the highest average votes-per-game is awarded the winner. If they are still tied, the player with the highest number of 'high value' votes is awarded the winner.Hilary Robinson
Hilary Robinson is a fictional character from the Australian soap opera Neighbours, played by Anne Scott-Pendlebury. The character first appeared on-screen during the episode broadcast on 25 June 1987. Hilary departed the show on 28 February 1990, following Scott-Pendlebury's decision to quit in 1989. Scott-Pendlebury reprised her role in 2005 for the serial's 20th anniversary episode, and again in February 2015 ahead of the 30th anniversary. Writers established that Hilary is back living in Erinsborough, so she can continue to make sporadic appearances. She is characterised as a bossy and meddling woman who lacks romance and seeks comfort interfering with her Neighbours' personal lives. Hilary's main storyline was mothering an illegitimate child Matt Robinson (Ashley Paske). He arrives in Erinsborough to forge a relationship with his birth mother. The character's "hard-edged approach to life" mellowed during the storyline.John Pendlebury
For the rugby league footballer and coach, see John Pendlebury (rugby league)John Devitt Stringfellow Pendlebury (12 October 1904 – 22 May 1941) was a British archaeologist who worked for British intelligence during World War II. He was captured and summarily executed by German troops during the Battle of Crete.John Pendlebury (rugby league)
John Pendlebury ((1961-04-18)18 April 1961) is an English former professional rugby league footballer who played in the 1970s, 1980s and 1990s, and coached in the 1990s. He played at representative level for Lancashire, and at club level for Wigan, Salford, Halifax, Bradford Northern and Leigh, as a scrum-half, hooker or loose forward, i.e. number 7, 9, or, 13, and coached at club level for the Halifax Blue Sox.Listed buildings in Swinton and Pendlebury
Swinton and Pendlebury is a town (and former borough) in the City of Salford Metropolitan Borough, Greater Manchester, England. It contains 23 listed buildings that are recorded in the National Heritage List for England. Of these, one is listed at Grade I, the highest of the three grades, one is at Grade II*, the middle grade, and the others are at Grade II, the lowest grade. The listed buildings include houses, churches and items in churchyards, a public house, aqueducts, a railway viaduct, cemetery buildings, a bandstand and war memorials.Municipal Borough of Swinton and Pendlebury
Swinton and Pendlebury was a local government district of the administrative county of Lancashire, England. It was created in 1894 as an urban district and enlarged in 1934, gaining the status of a municipal borough.
Before the new town hall was built to accommodate the new municipal borough in the 1930s, the urban district was governed from Pendlebury Town Hall on Bolton Road at the junction with Carrington Street. This building eventually became the town's main public library and was used as such until a new library was opened within the newly built Lancastrian Hall on Chorley Road, Swinton at the junction with Station Road (B5231).Pendlebury railway station
Pendlebury railway station was a station in the town of Pendlebury in Greater Manchester.
The station started life as part of the Lancashire and Yorkshire Railway's Pendleton and Hindley line that grew into (and still exists today as) the Manchester Victoria to Wigan Wallgate line. Heading from Manchester towards Wigan, the preceding station was at Irlams o' th' Height (closed in 1956), and the following station was at Swinton (still open). Pendlebury station was closed in 1960. The existing lines still widen where the island platform existed (removed in 1978).
Ownership had passed from the Lancashire and Yorkshire Railway, to the London, Midland and Scottish Railway, and upon nationalisation it became property of British Railways.
It was located on Bolton Road (A666), opposite St. Augustine's Church and the former (appropriately named) Station Hotel pub which is nowadays the Trattoria Italian restaurant. The railway station was about 760 yards east of the present day Swinton railway station. The station was located just before the entrance to a tunnel underneath Bolton Road. From the site of the station the tunnel goes as far as Swinton Hall Road where it comes out and into a cutting on its way towards Swinton. A 1909 Ordnance Survey map shows no buildings on top of the tunnel's location, suggesting that it was not stable to be built upon at this time. In the Black Harry Tunnel collapse of 1953, part of the tunnel collapsed. Two houses fell into the resultant large void in Temple Drive, Swinton. Five people in the houses were killed. http://www.railwaysarchive.co.uk/eventsummary.php?eventID=475 .
The Swinton and Pendlebury Journal of 7 October 1960 reported that the last train to call at Pendlebury railway station was the 23:21 from Manchester Victoria to Wigan on the previous Saturday (1 October 1960) - there were 6 people aboard one of whom was a 37-year-old shopkeeper Mr Jackson, proprietor of 419 Chorley Road, Swinton. Mr Jackson reportedly bought the last ticket ever issued at Pendlebury station from the porter Mr D. White - a single to Swinton. Mr Jackson also reportedly travelled to Irlams o' th' Height on 3 March 1956 to purchase the last ever ticket issued there.
A pub, the Station Hotel, was located on the opposite side of the road. The building still exists, but has been refurbished into the Trattoria Italian restaurant. Some of the yellow brickwork of the station is still visible on Bolton Road.
The artist L.S. Lowry lived at 117 Station Road (B5231), Pendlebury; a number of documentary films from the late 1950s (one from the BBC) show him using the station, which was about a mile from his home.
Clifton Hall Tunnel (sometimes called the Black Harry Tunnel), part of the London and North Western Railway's Clifton Branch, ran underneath the eastern end of the station. The layout was four tracks wide, with an island platform serving two of the tracks being connected to Bolton Road via a footbridge. Several sets of points lay at the eastern end of the station.Scott Pendlebury
Scott Pendlebury (born 7 January 1988) is a professional Australian rules footballer playing for the Collingwood Football Club in the Australian Football League (AFL). He has served as the captain of Collingwood since the 2014 season.St Augustine's Church, Pendlebury
St. Augustine’s Church is an active Anglican church in Pendlebury, Greater Manchester, England. Dedicated to St Augustine, it is part of the benefice of Swinton and Pendlebury along with St Peter's Church in Swinton and All Saints' Church in Wardley. The church is in the Eccles deanery, the archdeaconry of Salford and the diocese of Manchester. The church was granted Grade II* listed status in 1966 but has since been upgraded to Grade I.Called the "Miners' Cathedral", due to its almost cathedralesque stature, in the heart of a one time coal-mining community, it was also sometimes locally called "Gussie's".
The church is situated on Bolton Road and has a connected primary school.Swinton, Greater Manchester
Swinton is a town in Greater Manchester, England, southwest of the River Irwell, 3.4 miles (5.5 km) northwest of Salford and 4.2 miles (6.8 km) northwest of Manchester, adjoining the towns of Pendlebury and Clifton. In 2014, it had a population of 22,931.Historically in Lancashire, for centuries Swinton was a small hamlet in the township of Worsley, parish of Eccles and hundred of Salfordshire. The name Swinton is derived from the Old English "Swynton" meaning "swine town". In the High Middle Ages, Swinton was held by the religious orders of the Knights Hospitaller and Whalley Abbey. Farming was the main industry, with locals supplementing their incomes by hand-loom woollen weaving in the domestic system.Collieries opened in the Industrial Revolution and Swinton became an important industrial area with coal providing the fuel for the cotton spinning and brickmaking industries. Bricks from Swinton were used for industrial projects including the Bridgewater Canal, which passes Swinton to the south. The adoption of the factory system facilitated a process of unplanned urbanisation in the area, and by the mid-19th century Swinton was an important mill town and coal mining district at a convergence of factories, brickworks and a newly constructed road and railway network.Following the Local Government Act 1894, Swinton was united with neighbouring Pendlebury to become an urban district of Lancashire. Swinton and Pendlebury received a charter of incorporation in 1934, giving it honorific borough status. In the same year, the United Kingdom's first purpose-built intercity highway—the major A580 road (East Lancashire Road), which terminates at Swinton and Pendlebury's southern boundary—was officially opened by King George V. Swinton and Pendlebury became part of the City of Salford in 1974. Swinton has continued to grow as the seat of Salford City Council and as a commuter town, supported by its transport network and proximity to Manchester city centre.
Greater Manchester Portal
|Statutory City Region|