Pembroke is a town in Merrimack County, New Hampshire, United States. The population was 7,115 at the 2010 census. Pembroke includes part of the village of Suncook. The center of population of New Hampshire is located in Pembroke.
Pembroke, New Hampshire
"Prosper in Pembroke"
|• Board of Selectmen||Tina Courtemanche, Chair|
Vincent "Doc" Greco
David A. Sheldon, Jr.
|• Town Administrator||David Jodoin|
|• Total||23.0 sq mi (59.5 km2)|
|• Land||22.8 sq mi (59.1 km2)|
|• Water||0.2 sq mi (0.4 km2) 0.70%|
|Elevation||413 ft (126 m)|
|• Density||310/sq mi (120/km2)|
|Time zone||UTC-5 (Eastern)|
|• Summer (DST)||UTC-4 (Eastern)|
|GNIS feature ID||0873696|
First granted in 1728, the town was known as "Lovewell's Town", in honor of Captain John Lovewell, who built the stockade at Ossipee. Shortly afterward, the town took the name of "Suncook", the Pennacook Abenaki name for the river flowing through the area. When the town was incorporated in 1759 by Colonial Governor Benning Wentworth, it was given the name "Pembroke" in honor of Henry Herbert, ninth Earl of Pembroke in southern Wales.
Pembroke's early history is reflected in the various mills of the downtown area, located to use water power from the Suncook River. The better-known mills were the Pembroke Mills, Webster Manufacturing and China Manufacturing, all producing print cloth. Pembroke industries included brickmaking, with bricks manufactured from clay along the Merrimack River. In 1852, the Concord and Portsmouth Railroad established a station in Pembroke.
According to the United States Census Bureau, the town has a total area of 23.0 square miles (59.6 km2), of which 22.8 sq mi (59.1 km2) is land and 0.2 sq mi (0.5 km2) is water, comprising 0.70% of the town. Pembroke is drained by the Suncook, Soucook and Merrimack rivers. The highest point in town, Plausawa Hill, elevation 1,000 feet (305 m) above sea level, is in the north.
|U.S. Decennial Census|
As of the census of 2000, there were 6,897 people, 2,661 households, and 1,876 families residing in the town. The population density was 302.1 people per square mile (116.6/km²). There were 2,734 housing units at an average density of 119.8 per square mile (46.2/km²). The racial makeup of the town was 97.84% White, 0.38% African American, 0.26% Native American, 0.38% Asian, 0.03% from other races, and 1.12% from two or more races. Hispanic or Latino of any race were 0.43% of the population.
There were 2,661 households out of which 37.3% had children under the age of 18 living with them, 55.7% were married couples living together, 10.4% had a female householder with no husband present, and 29.5% were non-families. 23.0% of all households were made up of individuals and 7.3% had someone living alone who was 65 years of age or older. The average household size was 2.59 and the average family size was 3.06.
In the town, the population was spread out with 26.9% under the age of 18, 6.9% from 18 to 24, 33.1% from 25 to 44, 23.1% from 45 to 64, and 9.9% who were 65 years of age or older. The median age was 37 years. For every 100 females, there were 98.3 males. For every 100 females age 18 and over, there were 94.5 males.
The median income for a household in the town was $49,494, and the median income for a family was $57,106. Males had a median income of $37,786 versus $26,781 for females. The per capita income for the town was $20,800. About 3.0% of families and 5.4% of the population were below the poverty line, including 3.2% of those under age 18 and 10.9% of those age 65 or over.
There are currently four public schools in Pembroke. The Village School is located in the village of Suncook and houses kindergarten and first grade. The Hill School is attended by children in the second, third, and fourth grades. Three Rivers School, named after the three rivers that form most of the borders of the town, was built in the early 1990s and contains fifth through eighth grade. The town's high school is Pembroke Academy, founded in 1818 as a private school. The school today is public and takes students from Pembroke and from the neighboring towns of Allenstown, Epsom, Chichester, and historically, Deerfield. With approximately 1,000 students, the school is Class I in athletics, the second highest class, and the mascot of the school is the Spartan.
The Amoskeag Rugby Football Club is a rugby club in Manchester, New Hampshire. They play in Division I of the New England Rugby Football Union (NERFU).
Founded in 1984, they play at the Northeast Athletic Club in Pembroke, New Hampshire. The club's colors are red and black.Brian Foster (ice hockey)
Brian Foster (born February 4, 1987) is an American professional ice hockey goaltender who is currently playing for the Wheeling Nailers in the ECHL on loan from Wilkes-Barre/Scranton Penguins of the American Hockey League (AHL). He was selected by the Florida Panthers of the National Hockey League in the 5th round (161st overall) of the 2005 NHL Entry Draft. Foster was born in Pembroke, New Hampshire.Byron M. Cutcheon
Byron Mac Cutcheon (May 11, 1836 – April 12, 1908) was an American Civil War officer, Medal of Honor recipient and politician from the U.S. state of Michigan.Caleb Scofield
Caleb Mark Scofield (October 6, 1978 – March 28, 2018) was an American musician who was the bassist and singer mostly known for the alternative metal band Cave In, and his own sludge metal band Zozobra. Caleb was also a part of the sludge band Old Man Gloom.Elias Whitmore
Elias Whitmore (March 2, 1772 Pembroke, then in Hillsborough County, now in Merrimack County, New Hampshire – December 26, 1853 Windsor, Broome County, New York) was a United States Representative from New York.Henry F. C. Nichols
Henry Franklin Clough "F. C." Nichols was a member of the Wisconsin State Assembly.Henry James Carr
Henry James Carr (August 16, 1849 – May 21, 1929) was an American librarian.Carr was raised in New Hampshire and Grand Rapids, Michigan. He worked as an accountant and cashier in railway offices from 1867 to 1886. During that time, he studied law at the University of Michigan, gaining admission to the bar in 1879, but he never practiced law. In 1886, Carr was named librarian for the Grand Rapids Public Library, where he worked until 1890 when he was recruited to create a new public library for the residents of Saint Joseph, Missouri. In 1891 he moved to Scranton, Pennsylvania, to assist them in establishing their public library.Carr served as the President of the American Library Association from 1900 to 1901. He also served as the association's secretary from 1898 to 1900 and its treasurer from 1886 to 1893. Carr served as Librarian in Scranton until his death in 1929.Jacob Noyes Block
The Jacob Noyes Block is a historic commercial building at 48 Glass Street in the Pembroke side of Suncook, New Hampshire. Built about 1865, it is a distinctive local example of Italianate commercial architecture, and is the largest 19th-century commercial building in the village. It was listed on the National Register of Historic Places in 1986.John Johnson (inventor)
John Johnson (May 28, 1813 – May 3, 1871) was an instrument maker of dental supplies. He was a nineteenth-century pioneer photographer and an inventor. He made with Alexander S. Wolcott the world's first commercial portrait studio.Megan McTavish
Megan McTavish (born April 2, 1949 in Elgin, Illinois) is a retired American television actress and soap opera writer. McTavish is best known for several head writing stints on All My Children.Mellen Chamberlain
Mellen Chamberlain (4 June 1821, Pembroke, New Hampshire - 25 June 1900, Chelsea, Massachusetts) was a United States lawyer, librarian and historian. He was librarian of the Boston Public Library for over a decade.Pembroke Academy
Pembroke Academy is a public secondary school in Pembroke, New Hampshire.Pembroke Mill
The Pembroke Mill, now the Emerson Mills Condominiums, is a historic mill building at 100 Main Street in the village of Suncook in the town of Pembroke, New Hampshire, on the north bank of the Suncook River. Built in 1860, it is an early example of Renaissance Revival mill architecture, and was a major force in the growth of Suncook as an economic center. The mill building, now converted to residences, was listed on the National Register of Historic Places in 1985.Peter Robinson (speaker)
Peter Robinson (November 15, 1791 Pembroke, Merrimack County, New Hampshire – October 9, 1841 Binghamton, Broome County, New York) was an American lawyer and politician.Plausawa
Plausawa (c.1700—February 9, 1754) was a Pennacook Indian who lived in what is now New Hampshire. In 1728 he was the last known Native American living in the town of Suncook. At the start of King George's War in 1740 Plausawa moved to St. Francis in Quebec and fought against the settlers of the British.
During a raid on Epsom, New Hampshire on August 21, 1747, Plausawa and his companions, Sabattis and Christo, captured Isabella McCoy and burned her farm and the neighboring farms while her husband Charles McCoy was away serving in the New Hampshire Militia. Isabelle McCoy told of the very good treatment she received by Plausawa on her way to Quebec where Plausawa sold her as a servant to a French Canadian family.
In 1752 Plausawa led another raid that captured two African-American slaves from a field in Canterbury, New Hampshire. One slave escaped to warn the town militia and Plausawa, Sabattis and Christo returned to Quebec where they sold their captive to a French officer.In 1754, King George's War was over and the French and Indian War had yet to start, and Plausawa and Sabattis were in Canterbury again intending to trade furs with the townspeople. After some altercations they were told to leave or else.
Plausawa and Sabattis went to Boscawen, New Hampshire to the home of Peter Bowen. Bowen planned to trade with them and gave them rum to drink and when they were drunk removed the musket balls from their muskets. On the morning of February 9, 1754 Peter Bowen killed Sabattis and then Plausawa with a tomahawk during a fight. To this day it is still unclear if this was done in self-defense as Peter Bowen claimed, or in order to rob the Indians of their furs. Peter Bowen was charged with the murder of both Plausawa and Sabattis and taken to Portsmouth, New Hampshire for trial but was released from jail the night before the trial by his friends and neighbors and never stood trial.
Plausawa Hill in Pembroke, New Hampshire where Plausawa once lived is named after him. The National Weather Service operates a radio tower near its summit at an elevation of 1,000 feet (305 m).Soucook River
The Soucook River is a 29.2-mile-long (47.0 km) river located in central New Hampshire in the United States. It is a tributary of the Merrimack River, which flows to the Gulf of Maine.
The Soucook River begins at the outlet of Rocky Pond on the border between the towns of Canterbury and Loudon, New Hampshire. The river flows south through gently rolling terrain, soon entering Loudon and passing near the New Hampshire International Speedway. The river passes through the village proper of Loudon, crossing a small dam, and continues south along a rapidly developing suburban corridor on the outskirts of Concord. The river forms the boundary between Concord and Pembroke and ends at the Merrimack River downstream from Garvins Falls.
There are extensive sand and gravel deposits filling the Soucook River valley, which has led to the creation of several large excavation operations close to the river. New Hampshire Route 106 parallels the river throughout its course, crossing the river four times.Suncook, New Hampshire
Suncook is a census-designated place (CDP) in Merrimack County, New Hampshire, United States. The population was 5,379 at the 2010 census. Approximately 2/3 of Suncook is located in the town of Pembroke, with the remainder in Allenstown.The village of Suncook formed along the falls of the Suncook River, which drops 70 feet (21 m) in one-half mile (1 km) just before joining the Merrimack River. Much of the center of the village is occupied by 19th-century factory buildings which once used the river's energy for hydropower. The buildings have now largely been converted to other uses. Much of Suncook's late 19th-century commercial village center has been listed on the National Register of Historic Places.
Suncook was once home to the Suncook Valley Railroad, a shortline railroad company that operated northwest to Concord and northeast to Barnstead. The railroad operated on former Boston and Maine track that was sold to the company. The Suncook Valley Railroad went bankrupt in 1952 and all its track was torn up.Suncook River
The Suncook River is a 35.7-mile-long (57.5 km) river located in central New Hampshire in the United States. It is a tributary of the Merrimack River, which flows to the Gulf of Maine.Thomas W. Knox
Thomas Wallace Knox (June 26, 1835 - January 6, 1896) was a journalist, author, and world traveler, known primarily for his work as a New York Herald correspondent during the American Civil War. As an author, Knox wrote over 45 books, including a popular series of travel adventure books for boys.Knox was well known for his written attacks on William Tecumseh Sherman and his Union soldiers, which reintroduced into the public debate the issue of Sherman's sanity. His work was controversial as he published important information pertaining to the Vicksburg Campaign. Knox was acquitted on spy charges but found guilty of disobeying orders.
Places adjacent to Pembroke, New Hampshire
Municipalities and communities of Merrimack County, New Hampshire, United States
‡This populated place also has portions in an adjacent county or counties