Aladár Pege (8 October 1939 – 23 September 2006) was a jazz musician from Hungary. He was well known for his work and was dubbed "the Paganini of double bass".
He was chosen as best soloist of Europe in 1970, performed at Carnegie Hall and worked with Herbie Hancock.
This was quite rare during the communist era, when Hungarian (and other Eastern block countries') artists were seriously restricted in foreign travel.
He spent his last decades teaching at the Franz Liszt Academy of Music in Budapest.Attila László
Attila László (born 10 July 1953 in Kaposvár) is a Hungarian jazz guitarist and composer. László is one of the leaders of Hungary's second generation of jazz musicians, which also includes Lakatos, Dés, Kőszegi, and Pege. Former president of the Hungarian Jazz Federation (1999–2005), a winner of the Golden Cross of Merit prize, László performed with renowned artists like Anthony Jackson, Randy Brecker, James Moody, Tommy Cambell, David Friedman, Gary Willis, Bob Mintzer, Peter Erskine, Hiram Bullock, Miroslav Vitous, Ilaiyaraaja, Russell Ferrante, and Jimmy Haslip.Balıklı, Istanbul
Balıklı (Greek: Μπαλουκλί, pr. "Baluklí") is a quarter in Istanbul, Turkey. It belongs to the Zeytinburnu district, and is part of the Kazlıçeşme neighborhood. It is located along the Marmara Sea, and borders Istanbul's walled city on the east, between the gates of Yedikule and Silivri. Before the rapid increase of Istanbul's population in the 1970s, Balıklı was a rural quarter. The name of the quarter (balikli in Turkish means "with fish", "place where there are fishes") comes from the fishes present in the fountain of holy water (Greek: ἁγίασμα, hagiasma, whence Turkish: ayazma) situated now in the complex of the Church of St. Mary of the Spring, an important Eastern Orthodox sanctuary. In the Byzantine Period it was known as Pege (Greek: Πηγή, meaning "Spring") per antonomasia, always because of the same source. The quarter is characterized by the presence of several Muslim, Eastern Orthodox and Armenian cemeteries, which until now give to it a country-like character. About one kilometer south of the church of St. Mary an important Greek hospital, the Balikli Rum Hastanesi Vakf (“Balikli Greek Hospital Foundation”) and an Armenian Hospital, the Surp Pırgiç Ermeni Hastanesi are active.Ceropegia
Ceropegia is a genus of plants within the family Apocynaceae, native to Africa, southern Asia, and Australia. It was named by Carl Linnaeus, who first described this genus in volume 1 of his Species plantarum, which appeared in 1753. Linnaeus thought that the flowers looked like a fountain of wax. From this the scientific name was derived: ‘keros’ meaning wax and ‘pege’ meaning fountain (Pooley, 1998). They have many common names including lantern flower, parasol flower, parachute flower, bushman’s pipe, string of hearts, snake creeper, wine-glass vine, rosary vine, and necklace vine.
Ceropegia species are traded, kept, and propagated as ornamental plants.Church of St. Mary of the Spring (Istanbul)
The Monastery of the Mother of God at the Spring (full name in Greek: Μονὴ τῆς Θεοτòκου τῆς Πηγῆς, pr. Moni tis Theotóku tis Pigis; Turkish name: Balıklı Meryem Ana Rum Manastiri) or simply Zoödochos Pege (Greek: Ζωοδόχος Πηγή, "Life-giving Spring") is an Eastern Orthodox sanctuary in Istanbul, Turkey. The present church, built in 1835, bears the same dedication as the shrine erected in this place between the end of the fifth and the beginning of the sixth century. After several renovations, this building was destroyed in the first half of the fifteenth century by the Ottomans. The complex got its name from a nearby holy spring, reputed to have healing properties. For almost fifteen hundred years, this sanctuary has been one of the most important pilgrimage sites of Greek Orthodoxy.Dania Park
Dania Park, also known as Daniaparken, is located on the Bo01 district in Malmö, Sweden and was designed by architects Thorbjörn Andersson and PeGe Hillinge of SWECO FFS Architects in 1999. Aside from being the first park in over 50 years to be built in the city, it is also a former Saab factory, because of which the site's contamination made it unsuitable for large plant planting, thus the area is mostly grass covered, but is mostly characterized by terraces, platforms and balconies which overlook the Öresund Sound.EVER Monaco
EVER Monaco is annual exhibition and conference event showcasing the latest renewable energy technology with a focus on vehicle design. "EVER" is a (somewhat flawed) acronym for "ecologic vehicles and renewable energies."
The Venturi Fetish, the world’s first production two-seater electric sports car, became the sensation of the first EVER, held in 2005. The Fetish has a range of 250 to 350 km (155 to 217 miles) and boasts a 0–100 km/h (0–60 mph) time of 4.5 seconds.
The 2009 EVER took place in and around Monaco’s Grimaldi Forum, a 35,000-m² (377,000-sq. ft.) arena on the shores of the Mediterranean Sea, from 26 to 29 March.Janusz Muniak
Janusz Józef Muniak (3 June 1941 – 31 January 2016) was a Polish jazz musician, saxophonist, flutist, arranger, and composer. He was one of the pioneers of free jazz in Europe, although later in life tended towards the mainstream.
He debuted in Lublin in 1960. During the 60s and 90s, he cooperated with, among others, Ronnie Burrage, George Cables, James Cammack, Don Cherry, Ted Curson, Art Farmer, Eddie Gladden, Dexter Gordon, Eddie Henderson, Freddie Hubbard, Hank Jones, Rusty Jones, Nigel Kennedy, Branislav Lala Kovačev, Joe Lovano, Wynton Marsalis, Hank Mobley, Takeo Moriyama, Joe Newman, Sal Nistico, Jasper van 't Hof, Aladár Pege, Rufus Reid, Akira Sakata, Archie Shepp, Charlie Ventura, Yōsuke Yamashita and Polish musicians like Tomasz Stańko, Zbigniew Namysłowski, Zbigniew Seifert, Adam Makowicz, Wojciech Karolak, Krzysztof Komeda, Andrzej Kurylewicz, Andrzej Trzaskowski, Jan Ptaszyn Wróblewski, Jarek Śmietana, Jan Jarczyk, Włodek Pawlik, Leszek Możdżer and Michał Urbaniak. He was one of the first jazzmen who cooperated with rock musicians like Dżamble and Czesław Niemen.
Since 1976 he has been a leader of several ensembles, and since 1991 he has been running the Jazz Club "U Muniaka" at Florianska 3 in Krakow, which, under his artistic management, became an important incubator of new talents.
In the poll of Jazz Top 2011 of the monthly Jazz Forum Janusz Muniak was voted the best saxophonist in Poland.He is buried at Rakowicki Cemetery in Krakow.Lady Flash
Lady Flash was an American trio of singers whose members were Reparata Mazzola, Monica Pege and Debra Byrd. They were the featured backup group for Barry Manilow from 1974-1979 and released one hit of their own, 1976's "Street Singin'". The tune, which was written and arranged by Manilow, reached #27 on the Billboard Hot 100 record chart. The song came from their album, Beauties In The Night which was also produced by Manilow.
Originally called The Flashy Ladies, a reference to a song on Manilow's first album, the trio (with Ramona Brooks, whom Pege replaced in 1976) sang backing vocals for Manilow in live performance and on his first 7 multiple platinum albums. Their first recorded appearance was in 1975 on Soundstage. They later appeared with Manilow on his Emmy-award-winning first special and on numerous TV shows including Don Kirshner's Rock Concert, The Midnight Special, American Bandstand and Donahue. They performed with Manilow on his first European tour in 1978 with concerts at the Olympia in Paris, The Palladium and Royal Albert Hall in London, and the Concertgebouw in Amsterdam.
Because Pege and Byrd were African-American, and Reparata, in the middle position, was Caucasian, Manilow often jokingly referred to them as "The Oreos"
Since its inception, Debra Byrd was the vocal coach for contestants on American Idol for 11 years, later joining as coach for "The Voice. In addition to singing on sessions in Los Angeles, including the Oscars, she is currently the vocal chair for the Musicians Institute in Los Angeles,
Monica Pege sang with Barry Manilow again from 2004 to 2010 in Las Vegas at the Hilton and his coliseum shows.
Reparata Mazzola was previously a member of Reparata and the Delrons under the name Lorraine Mazzola. She changed her legal name to Reparata after losing a case against Mary O'Leary over the right to the stage name. Currently, Mazzola is a screenwriter and lives in Los Angeles.Let Me Tickle Your Fancy
Let Me Tickle Your Fancy is the ninth studio album by Jermaine Jackson, released in 1982. It was his final album for Motown Records. It reached #46 on the Billboard 200 and #9 on the Top R&B chart. The title track peaked at #5 on the soul charts.Life-giving Spring
The Mother of God of the Life-giving Spring or Life-giving Font (Greek: Ζωοδόχος Πηγή, Zoodochos Pigi, Russian: Живоносный Источник) is an epithet of the Holy Theotokos that originated with her revelation of a sacred spring (Greek: ἁγίασμα, hagiasma) in Valoukli, Constantinople, to a soldier named Leo Marcellus, who later became Byzantine Emperor Leo I (457-474). Leo built the historic Church of St. Mary of the Spring over this site, which witnessed numerous miraculous healings over the centuries, through her intercessions, becoming one of the most important pilgrimage sites in Greek Orthodoxy. Thus the term "Life-giving Font" became an epithet of the Holy Theotokos and she was represented as such in iconography.The feast day of the Life-giving Spring is celebrated on Bright Friday in the Orthodox Church, and in those Eastern Catholic Churches which follow the Byzantine Rite. Additionally, the icon of the Theotokos the "Life-giving Spring" is commemorated on April 4 / 17 in Slavic Orthodox churches.Love Conquers All (album)
Love Conquers All is the second album by Los Angeles, California soul singer Michael Wycoff.Mingus Dynasty (band)
Mingus Dynasty was an American jazz ensemble formed in 1979, just after the death of Charles Mingus, which featured many musicians Mingus recorded or played with. The group was named after the 1959 album Mingus Dynasty.
In 1988, the group expanded to a big band format, and the Mingus Big Band has held weekly residency in New York City since 1991. Currently there are three Mingus repertory groups, Mingus Dynasty, Mingus Big Band and the Mingus Orchestra. They all tour extensively worldwide and rotate Monday nights at the Jazz Standard in New York.
Among the group's alumni are Jimmy Owens, Randy Brecker, Richard Williams, Jon Faddis, Jimmy Knepper, John Handy, Craig Handy, Joe Farrell, Ricky Ford, George Adams, David Murray, Clifford Jordan, Nick Brignola, Don Pullen, Roland Hanna, Jaki Byard, Mike Richmond, Dannie Richmond, Billy Hart, Kenny Washington, Charlie Haden, Aladar Pege, Reggie Johnson, Reggie Workman, and Richard Davis.Philopatium
Philopatium or Philopation (Greek: Φιλοπάτιον) was the name of a palace and region outside the walls of the Byzantine capital Constantinople (modern Istanbul, Turkey), known for its parks and gardens.
According to 11th-century accounts, it was located north of Constantinople, just outside the Blachernae walls. Competing accounts place it seaward of the Golden Gate.
The place was loved by Justinian and Theodora, and served as a spring or summer retreat for the Byzantine emperors after them. The 6th-century historian Procopius describes it as "A luxuriant forest of cypresses, verdant and flowery slopes, a spring noiselessly pouring forth its calm and refreshing waters, these are the features which beseem that sacred spot."
Near the centre of the plain is the spring called the Life-giving Spring (Ζωοδόχος Πηγή, Zoodochos Pege). When it was reported that a blind man had been restored to sight at the touch of its waters, Leo the Thracian erected a church over the spring. Justinian, believing that a bath in the spring had cured him of calculus, thriftily enlarged the church by means of the superfluous material that remained after the completion of Hagia Sophia. Twice destroyed by earthquake, it was successively rebuilt by Irene of Athens, wife of Leo IV, in the 8th century, and by Basil I one hundred years later.
The Bulgarian Tsar Simeon, during one of his raids in the early 10th century, burnt it to the ground, and on his departure it was restored with added splendor by Romanos I Lekapenos. A generation later King Peter, the son of Simeon, wedded at its altar the granddaughter of that same Romanos. There too was solemnized the still more brilliant wedding of the youthful Emperor John V, and Helena, the bewitching daughter of John VI Kantakouzenos.
Near the church was the Palace of the Pege, or of the Spring, to which the emperors annually removed on Ascension Day, and where they devoted a few weeks to their health. During the Second Crusade, King Louis VII of France and his wife, Queen Eleanor of Aquitaine, were for several weeks lodged there.
Not a vestige of the palace exists. Here were the headquarters of Ottoman Sultan Murad II during his unsuccessful three months' siege of Constantinople in 1422. The church was greatly injured at the time, but not entirely destroyed until after the victory of Mehmed II. The site of the church (nowadays the suburb of Balıklı) remained in Greek Orthodox hands throughout the Ottoman period, becoming the site of a patriarchal hospital in the 18th century. The church was destroyed again by Janissaries in 1825, and rebuilt in 1833. The cemetery of the church serves as the principal Orthodox cemetery of the city, housing the tombs of many patriarchs.Rio Castle
The Rio Castle (Greek: κάστρο του Ρίου or Καστέλι της Πάτρας) is located at the north tip of the Rio peninsula in Achaea, Greece, at the entrance of the Corinthian Gulf. The Rio-Antirio Bridge is located next to it, and the local ferry docks lie on either side. Today it is used for cultural purposes, especially concerts and is a tourist attraction.
The castle was built by the Ottoman Sultan Bayezid II in 1499 above the ruins of an ancient temple of Poseidon, within three months. Along with its twin, the Antirio Castle, they were intended to protect the entrance to the Corinthian Gulf, and were nicknamed the "Little Dardanelles". The castle is located on the sea shore, with its northern side protected by the sea and the southern by a broad moat, filled with sea water, and two outer bastions (ravelins), linked to the main fort by stone bridges. It has two gates, the central one, facing landwards, and the sea gate.
In 1533, it was briefly captured by the Genoese under Andrea Doria, but the Ottomans recaptured it later in the year. In 1687, during the Morean War, it was taken by the Venetians under Francesco Morosini. The Venetians rebuilt the castle, restoring and strengthening it by the addition of towers, giving it its final shape. The Venetians also added the small chapel of the Life-giving Spring (Zoodochos Pege). The Ottomans retook it in 1715, and remained until they surrendered it to French General Nicolas Joseph Maison. Between 1831 and 1912, the castle was used as a military and then civilian prison, whose inmates were often used by the municipality of Patras for cleaning the streets of Rio.Voleti voleti
Voleti voleti (trans. To Love to Love) is the eleventh studio album from Serbian and former Yugoslav rock band Galija.Walter Norris
Walter Norris (December 27, 1931 – October 29, 2011) was an American pianist and composer.Zoodochos
Zoodochos is a Greek term meaning "life-receiving". It refers to an attribute of the tomb of Christ, known as the Zoodochos Taphos in the Eastern Orthodox Church. The tomb of Christ is considered a symbol of the Resurrection in Eastern Christianity. The title zoodochos is occasionally applied to the Theotokos since church tradition teaches that she received the Life of Christ in her womb. The Church of St. Mary of the Spring in Istanbul is named Zoödochos Pege ("Life-giving Spring") and is dedicated to the Virgin.
The shrine and monastery of Zoodochos Pigi in eastern Greece is named after the tomb of Jesus.