Pawtucket, Rhode Island
|City of Pawtucket|
Downtown across the Blackstone River
Rhode Island's Creative Community
Location within the United States
|• Mayor||Donald R. Grebien (D)|
|• City Council||Michael A. Araujo (D)|
Albert J. Vitali (D)
Elena Vasquez (D)
David P. Moran (D)
Mark J. Wildenhain (D)
Terrence E. Mercer (D)
John J. Barry, III (D)
Meghan Kallman (D)
Timothy P. Rudd, Jr. (D)
|• Total||9.00 sq mi (23.31 km2)|
|• Land||8.7 sq mi (22.6 km2)|
|• Water||0.3 sq mi (0.7 km2)|
|Elevation||36 ft (11 m)|
|• Density||8,177.9/sq mi (3,148.1/km2)|
|Time zone||UTC−5 (Eastern)|
|• Summer (DST)||UTC−4 (Eastern)|
|GNIS feature ID||1218926|
The name "Pawtucket" comes from the Algonquian word for "river fall."
The Pawtucket region was said to have been one of the most populous places in New England prior to the arrival of European settlers. Native Americans would gather here to take advantage of the salmon and smaller fish which gathered at the falls. The first European settler here was Joseph Jenks, who came to the region from Lynn, Massachusetts. He purchased about 60 acres near Pawtucket Falls in 1671. He established a sawmill and forge. These, along with the entire town, were later destroyed during King Philip's War.
Other settlers followed Jenks, and by 1775 the area was home to manufacturers of muskets, linseed oil, potash, and ship building. Also around this time Oziel Wilkinson and his family set up an iron forge making anchors, nails, screws, farm implements, and even cannons.
Pawtucket was an early and important center of cotton textiles during the American Industrial Revolution. Slater Mill, built in 1793 by Samuel Slater on the Blackstone River falls in downtown Pawtucket, was the first fully mechanized cotton-spinning mill in America. Slater Mill is known for developing a commercially successful production process not reliant on earlier horse-drawn processes developed in America. Slater constructed and operated machines for producing yarn. Other manufacturers continued, transforming Pawtucket into a center for textiles, iron working, and other products.
By the 1920s, Pawtucket was a prosperous mill town. The city had over a half-dozen movie theaters, two dozen hotels, and an impressive collection of fine commercial and residential architecture. Perhaps the most impressive public building in Pawtucket was the Leroy Theatre, an ornate movie palace that was called "Pawtucket's Million Dollar Theater". Many wealthy mill owners such as Darius Goff built their mansions in the area.
The textile business in New England declined during the Great Depression with many manufacturers closing or moving their facilities South where operations and labor were cheaper. Later in the 20th Century, Pawtucket began to lose some of its architectural heritage to the wrecking ball, including the Leroy Theatre.
But unlike numerous older mill towns in the region, Pawtucket retained much of its industrial base. Today, goods produced in the city include lace, non-woven and elastic woven materials, jewelry, silverware, metals, and textiles. Hasbro, one of the world's largest manufacturers of toys and games, is headquartered in Pawtucket.
Originally, the land west of the Blackstone River was part of nearby North Providence. East of the Blackstone River was originally settled as part of the Massachusetts town of Rehoboth. The first Pawtucket to be incorporated was in 1828 when Rehoboth gave up their land and Pawtucket became a new town in Massachusetts. In 1862 the eastern portion was absorbed into Providence County, Rhode Island. On March 1, 1862 after a nearly 225 year border dispute between Rhode Island and Plymouth/Massachusetts, the areas of Pawtucket and East Providence was shifted into Rhode Island. The border hasn't been moved in over 150 years. In 1874, the land west of the river was taken from North Providence and added to the town of Pawtucket, but acted as two different towns. Finally in 1886, West and East Pawtucket were merged and the city was incorporated.
According to the United States Census Bureau, the city has a total area of 9.0 square miles (23 km2), of which, 8.7 square miles (23 km2) of it is land and 0.3 square miles (0.78 km2) of it (2.89%) is water. Pawtucket lies within three drainage basins. These include the Blackstone River (including the Seekonk River), the Moshassuck River and the Ten Mile River.
|U.S. Decennial Census|
As of the census of 2010, there were 71,141 people, 32,055 households, and 18,508 families residing in the city. Pawtucket was the fourth most populous of Rhode Island's 39 cities and towns. The population density was 8,351.2 people per square mile (3,223.0/km2). There were 32,055 housing units at an average density of 3,642.2 per square mile (1,405.7/km2). The racial makeup of the city was 50.4% Non-Hispanic white, 18.9% Non-Hispanic African American, 0.60% Native American, 1.6% Non-Hispanic Asian, 0.10% Pacific Islander, mixed race 3.9%, 4.7% other.
There were 32,055 households out of which 30.5% had children under the age of 18 living with them, 39.7% were married couples living together, 16.8% had a female householder with no husband present, and 38.4% were non-families. 32.3% of all households were made up of individuals and 12.5% had someone living alone who was 65 years of age or older. The average household size was 2.41 and the average family size was 3.07.
In the city, the population was spread out with 24.9% under the age of 18, 9.1% from 18 to 24, 31.3% from 25 to 44, 19.9% from 45 to 64, and 14.8% who were 65 years of age or older. The median age was 35 years. For every 100 females, there were 90.2 males. For every 100 females age 18 and over, there were 85.9 males.
The median income for a household in the city was $28,124, and the median income for a family was $40,578. Males had a median income of $31,129 versus $23,391 for females. The per capita income for the city was $17,008. About 14.9% of families and 16.8% of the population were below the poverty line, including 24.5% of those under age 18 and 15.2% of those age 65 or over.
According to the 2000 census, 20.6% of Pawtucket residents are French or French-Canadian. Like nearby cities Providence, R.I., Fall River, Mass., and New Bedford, Mass., Pawtucket hosts a significant population from across the former Portuguese Empire (11.6%) plus an extremely significant Cape Verdean population. The segment from Cape Verde Islands was featured in this Zip Code USA article from National Geographic magazine.
Pawtucket is also one of the few areas of the United States with a significant Liberian population, mostly refugees from Charles Taylor's regime. Rhode Island has the highest per capita Liberian population in the country. Pawtucket has a high concentration of West Africans.
The City of Pawtucket has been supportive of the Arts Community since 1975, In 1998, the Rhode Island General Assembly passed a law creating a 307-acre Arts and Entertainment District in the City’s historic downtown . Over the past decades various organizations have been active in continuing that support of the local arts community and beyond.
In January, 1999, Herb Weiss, of the Planning Department, was hired to oversee the City’s newly created Arts District. Through the support of then Mayor James E. Doyle and Planning Department Michael Cassidy, Weiss brought significant recognition for Pawtucket-Arts oriented development strategy . Mayor Doyle and Arts Czar Weiss hired researcher Ann Galligan, of Northeastern University, to create an arts and cultural plan. Over the years Pawtucket has become known as a center for arts and culture .
The success of the works was seen in nationwide publicity in publications such as New York Times , The Wall Street Journal , Christen Scientist Monitor . Pawtucket even found itself named in Art Calendar’s “Ten Great Towns for Working Arts.”Pawtucket’s transformation into an arts community is chronicled in a 53 minute documentary in 2008, Pawtucket Rising, produced by Jason Caminiti, a Fall River film maker, documenting the City’s successful efforts in bringing artist and cultural activities to blighted areas Pawtucket Rising.
Each September, the city, in conjunction with the Pawtucket Arts Festival Board of Directors, members chosen from the community, produce an annual citywide Arts Festival . Former Mayor Doyle created the City’s month-long event. Much of the work implementing the vision of Mayor Doyle and growing this month-long Arts Festival was done by Herb Weiss. Weiss, among other awards, was honored as the inaugural winner of the “PAF Excellence Award” for his work as the "foremost ambassador for the arts and culture". James Doyle was the Pawtucket Foundation Heritage Award Winner for 2011 
The American-French Genealogical Society was founded in Pawtucket in 1978.
On September 2, 1977, The Beach Boys performed a concert at Narragansett Park attended by 40,000 people, the largest concert audience in Rhode Island history. In 2017, music historians Al Gomes and Connie Watrous of Big Noise were successful in getting the street where the concert stage stood (the corner of 455 Narragansett Park Drive) officially renamed as "Beach Boys Way". 
Pawtucket is home to McCoy Stadium, where the Pawtucket Red Sox, the AAA affiliate/Minor League team of the Boston Red Sox, currently play. The team was owned by Ben Mondor until his death and was recently sold by his estate. The longest professional baseball game in history, 33 innings, was played at McCoy Stadium in 1981. Pawtucket has a history of professional baseball dating back to 1892, including the Pawtucket Indians. This rich and popular tradition will come to an end in 2021 when the Red Sox AAA affiliate is relocated to Worcester, Massachusetts
In 1934 the Narragansett Park opened for Thoroughbred horse racing. Until its closure in 1978, the track hosted several important races that drew some of the top horses from around the United States including Hall of Fame members; Seabiscuit, War Admiral and Gun Bow.
Public education in Pawtucket is directed by the Pawtucket School Department and contains these schools:
The Quality Hill section of Pawtucket is home to St. Raphael Academy. It is a private college preparatory school founded on the basis of St. John the Baptist de la Salle. "Saints" is a small school consisting of roughly 500 students with a student to teacher ratio of about 15:2. The "Saints and Lady Saints" are very successful in sports including baseball, football, basketball, and softball. St. Raphael Academy is a rival of William E. Tolman. They took part in a Thanksgiving Day football game that was played in McCoy Stadium for over 70 years. This game is no longer played, as William E. Tolman now competes annually against its fellow Pawtucket public high school Charles E. Shea, rather than against St. Raphael Academy, a private Catholic high school.
Pawtucket was home to Bishop Keough High School, a small all-girls catholic high school in the Fairlawn neighborhood.
The city also has three Catholic elementary schools: St. Cecilia School, St. Teresa School and Woodlawn Catholic Regional School.
Amtrak's Northeast Corridor and the MBTA's Providence/Stoughton Line run through Pawtucket, though there is no stop for either in the city. Train service at the Pawtucket/Central Falls train station terminated in 1959. Recently there have been discussions to have the "T" stop in Pawtucket at the old train station (which would be substantially refurbished) or at a platform elsewhere on the line. Federal funding has been provided for preliminary planning of a MBTA station in the city, with a request for proposals expected in early 2011. Commuters can board MBTA trains at the South Attleboro stop, off Newport Avenue just over the state line. The MBTA operates a layover facility in Pawtucket for trains on the Providence/Stoughton Line where the trains are kept overnight. The closest Amtrak station to Pawtucket is Providence Station.
Public bus transportation is available in the city. RIPTA operates a hub in downtown Pawtucket with routes to various parts of the city and to parts of nearby towns. Riders can also access RIPTA buses to Providence at the downtown hub on the Smithfield Avenue (#53) and Beverage Hill (#78) routes; as well as on either the R-Line (Broad-North Main) Rapid Service route or #1 (Hope/Eddy) Key Corridor route. The # 1 (Hope/Eddy) Key Corridor route provides service from the Downtown Pawtucket hub north to the MBTA Station at South Attleboro, Mass. and south to T.F. Green Airport in Warwick. At Kennedy Plaza, Providence's hub, riders can access routes to most parts of the state.
Interstate 95 and U.S. 1 also traverse the western part of Pawtucket. Some of the slowest posted speeds on I-95 are in the city due to the "S-curves" near downtown. To preserve certain buildings in the city, planners snaked I-95, creating sharp bends in the highway.
The circulator used East Avenue, High Street, Summer Street, Goff Avenue, Dexter Street and Park Place West. Each half of the Circulator carried one direction of U.S. 1; sections also carried westbound RI 15 and northbound RI 114. It was signed with a big "C" on overhead signs.
The circulator is no longer signed, though the road configuration remains. Providence's Downtown Ring Roads have suffered a similar fate.
Many Healthcare, Retail and Insurance companies are headquartered in Pawtucket. 
Fox Point Pickles, a pickling company, is headquartered in Pawtucket.
Bishop Keough Regional High School was a private, Roman Catholic, all-girls high school in Pawtucket, Rhode Island. It was located in the Roman Catholic Diocese of Providence.Ernie Calverley
Ernest A. Calverley (January 30, 1924 – October 20, 2003) was an American professional basketball player. He was an All-American while playing for the University of Rhode Island. He played professionally with the Providence Steamrollers of the Basketball Association of America for three seasons from 1946 to 1949. Calverley led the league in assists and was an All-BAA Second Team selection in his first season in the league.Fire Station No. 4 (Pawtucket, Rhode Island)
Fire Station Number 4 or Fire Station No. 4 is a historic fire station located at 474 Broadway in Pawtucket, Rhode Island. The building historically has also been called the Collyer Fire Station. The Queen Anne Style station was built in 1890. It is a 2 1⁄2-story, hip-roofed rectangular brick building with two brick wings and a bell tower. Constructed of red brick with sandstone trim and sandstone lintels and sills on the windows, the building has a foliate terracotta plaque bearing its name and date of construction. The fire station was closed as a firehouse in 1974, when the current Fire Station Number 4 on Cottage Street opened. The interior of the building was greatly modified to accommodate offices and meeting rooms by the time of its listing on the national register. In 2014, the building is being used by the Catholic Charities of Providence. Fire Station Number 4 was added to the National Register of Historic Places in 1983.Janet Moreau
Janet Teresa Moreau (born October 26, 1927) is an American athlete who competed mainly in the 100 meters.John F. Adams House
The John F. Adams House, listed incorrectly as the John E. Adams House by the National Register of Historic Places, is a historic house at 11 Allen Avenue in Pawtucket, Rhode Island. The house's unique exterior and architecture was described in the multiple property submission which described it as the "finest late Italianate dwelling still standing in Pawtucket." Its design is similar to the dwellings designed by Henry Austin and features Moorish window hoods and Indian porch columns. The John F. Adams House was moved back 50 feet (15 m) and turned to face Allen Avenue after it was purchased by the Beacon Oil Company in 1929. This minor move was found not to make it ineligible because of the house's architectural and historical significance. It was added to the National Register of Historic Places in 1983.Les Pawson
Les Pawson (February 3, 1905 in Pawtucket, Rhode Island – October 13, 1992) was an American marathon runner. Pawson worked in the mills of Rhode Island and for the city of Pawtucket parks department while he was one of the finest road runners in the United States.
Pawson's major competition was provided by John A. Kelley, Ellison Brown, and Gerard Cote. Pawson won the Boston Marathon in 1933, 1938, and 1941, becoming the second runner to win the race three times.After his running career, Pawson returned to his daily life in Rhode Island working until he was 75 years old. He died in 1992 at the age of 87. A road race and his former training ground in Rhode Island are named for him such as the Les Pawson loop in Lincoln Rhode Island in which the distance is 2.49 miles.Lois Testa
Lois Ann Testa Lynch (born December 16, 1935) is an American former athlete and teacher. She represented the United States in the shot put at the 1956 Summer Olympics.National Register of Historic Places listings in Pawtucket, Rhode Island
This is a list of the National Register of Historic Places listings in Pawtucket, Rhode Island.
This is intended to be a complete list of the properties and districts on the National Register of Historic Places in Pawtucket, Rhode Island, United States. Latitude and longitude coordinates are provided for many National Register properties and districts; these locations may be seen together in an online map.There are 424 properties and districts listed on the National Register in Providence County, including 15 National Historic Landmarks. The city of Pawtucket is the location of 55 these properties and districts, including 1 National Historic Landmark; they are listed here. Properties and districts located in the county's other municipalities are listed separately. Two Pawtucket listings, the Blackstone Canal and the Conant Thread-Coats & Clark Mill Complex District, extend into other parts of Providence County, and appear on multiple lists.
This National Park Service list is complete through NPS recent listings posted June 14, 2019.Pawtucket Rangers
J. & P. Coats was an American soccer club team of the J. & P. Coats Company based in Pawtucket, Rhode Island having been founded in 1900.
The club played won the Rhode Island League in 1914 then was an inaugural member of the semi-pro Southern New England Soccer League. The club then joined the professional American Soccer League as an inaugural member.
After the first half of the 1928/29 season, the team ran into financial trouble and was bought by new management. The new owners renamed the team the Pawtucket Rangers.
The club left the original ASL sometime after the 1932 fall season and joined the New England Division of the new ASL that was formed in 1933/34.
The team won the Times Cup in 1919.Raymond Hood
Raymond Mathewson Hood (March 29, 1881 – August 14, 1934) was an American architect who worked in the Art Deco style.Seekonk River
The Seekonk River is a tidal extension of the Providence River in the U.S. state of Rhode Island. It flows approximately 8 km (5 mi). Most historical scholars agree that the name is derived from two Native American words, sucki (meaning black) and honc (meaning goose). The river is home to the Brown University men's rowing team, India Point Park, Blackstone Park, Crook Point Bascule Bridge, Narragansett Boat Club (the oldest rowing club in the country), Swan Point Cemetery, and the Bucklin Point waste-water treatment facility. The River is listed by RIDEM as an impaired waterway.Shea High School
Charles E. Shea High School, commonly known as Shea High School and previously known as Pawtucket West High School, is an American secondary school at 485 East Avenue in Pawtucket, Rhode Island. Shea is part of the Pawtucket School Department. The mascot is the "Shea High Raider". The school was named after a well-known Pawtucket resident, Charles E. Shea.Slater Mill Historic Site
The Slater Mill is a historic textile mill complex on the banks of the Blackstone River in Pawtucket, Rhode Island, modeled after cotton spinning mills first established in England. It is the first water-powered cotton spinning mill in North America to utilize the Arkwright system of cotton spinning as developed by Richard Arkwright.
Samuel Slater, the mill's founder, apprenticed as a young man in Belper, England with industrialist Jedediah Strutt. Shortly after immigrating to the United States, Slater was hired by Moses Brown of Providence, Rhode Island to produce a working set of machines necessary to spin cotton yarn using water power. Construction of the machines was completed in 1793, as well as a dam, waterway, waterwheel, and mill. Manufacturing was based on Richard Arkwright's cotton spinning system, which included carding, drawing, and spinning machines. Slater initially hired children and families to work in his mill, establishing a pattern that was replicated throughout the Blackstone Valley and known as the "Rhode Island System". It was later eclipsed by Francis Cabot Lowell's Waltham System.
Slater Mill was added to the National Register of Historic Places and designated a National Historic Landmark on November 13, 1966, the first property to be listed on the register. In December 2014, the mill was added to the newly formed Blackstone River Valley National Historical Park.St. John the Baptist Church (Pawtucket, Rhode Island)
St. John the Baptist Church is an historic Roman Catholic church at 68 Slater Street in Pawtucket, Rhode Island within the Diocese of Providence.St. Mary's Church of the Immaculate Conception Complex
St. Mary's Church of the Immaculate Conception Complex is an historic Roman Catholic church complex at 103 Pine Street in Pawtucket, Rhode Island.Trinity Church (Pawtucket, Rhode Island)
Trinity Episcopal Church was a historic church located at 48 Main Street in Pawtucket, Rhode Island. Built by the Episcopalians, the building was sold to the Catholics in 1977 and became the St. George Maronite Catholic Church within the Diocese of Providence. The church burned down in 2005, and was not rebuilt.WFCI (Pawtucket, Rhode Island)
WFCI was one of four radio stations in the pre-World War II Providence market (the others being WPRO, WEAN and WJAR). WFCI was an affiliate of the NBC Blue network which in 1943 became simply the Blue Network & finally changed to the American Broadcasting Company, or ABC, in 1945. WFCI added FM service on 101.5 MHz in about 1950; on that frequency today is WWBB.WSJW (AM)
WSJW (550 AM; "Relevant Radio") is a radio station licensed to Pawtucket, Rhode Island, serving the Providence area. Established in 1950 as WPAW, the station is owned by Immaculate Heart Media and airs Catholic talk programming.Wilde River
Wilde Brook is a stream in Seekonk, Massachusetts and Pawtucket, Rhode Island. It begins at Bitersweet Pond in Seekonk and flows 5.2 miles to its confluence with the Ten Mile River in Pawtucket.
Municipalities and communities of Providence County, Rhode Island, United States
|Cities and towns|
|Cities and towns|
|Cities and towns|