The Parc de la Butte-du-Chapeau-Rouge formerly known as the Square de la Butte-du-Chapeau-Rouge, is a public park in the 19th arrondissement of Paris, which was created in 1939. It is an example of 1930s modernist park design, and contains a fountain and works of sculpture from the Exposition Internationale des Arts et Techniques dans la Vie Moderne (1937) held at the Trocadéro.
The park is located between the Boulevard d'Algérie, Boulevard Sérurier, and avenue Debidour. The nearest Metro station is Pré-Saint-Gervais.
The Parc was built on a wide strip of land around the edge of the city which had been set aside as a military zone in the 1840s. Some Paris architects and planners had called for transforming the entire zone around the city into a continuous park, but that plan was abandoned and only a small amount of the zone was dedicated to green space.
The new park was designed by the architect Léon Azéma, a classically trained architect who had won the Prix de Rome in 1921, along with his colleagues Jacques Carlu and Louis-Hippolyte Boileau, who had all worked together on the hillside and fountains of Palais de Chaillot for the Exposition Internationale des Arts et Techniques dans la Vie Moderne (1937).
The park marked a major departure for the garden designs of Paris. Since 1855, all the new parks and gardens of Paris had been designed or re-designed by Jean-Charles Alphand, the first chief of Paris Promenades and Plantations under Emperor Napoleon III from 1855 until 1870, and then Director of Public Works of Paris from 1871 until his death in 1891, or by the pupils of Alphand, and they all followed the same basic picturesque style, with groves of trees, flowerbeds, winding paths, kiosks, and follies. Azéma's style was more classical, with wide open lawns highlighting works of sculpture, and the groves of trees serving mainly as a background. He used the park to showcase several works of modern sculpture.
The park has an area of 4.68 hectares and is built on a hillside, which offers a fine view of the city from the top. The moderne-style buffet d'eau at the entrance on Boulevard d'Algérie, on the lower end of the park, has a statue of Eve (1938) which had been displayed at the 1937 exposition, by Raymond Couvégne, a winner of the prix de Rome.
Two stairways and two long alleys climb the hillside from the entrance, on either side of a large lawn, and two spiral paths lead up to two belvederes, surrounded by groves of trees, which offer views of the city. Other paths lead to a terrace higher in the park, which also offers a panoramic view. A group of three statues (two women and a child with grapes) by Pierre Traverse (1938) decorates the hillside lawns, in the fashion of statues in the classical gardens of the 18th century. The park also has two large playgrounds, one with neo-classical columns. The architecture in the park is in the decorative style of the 1930s, using bricks combined with cement encrusted with pebbles.
Avenue George V is a street in the 8th arrondissement of Paris. It is 730 metres (800 yards) long and 40 metres (44 yards) wide. It starts at the Alma and ends at No. 99 avenue des Champs-Elysées, and marks the western limit of Paris's "golden triangle" (triangle d'or). Four Seasons Hotel George V is located on this avenue.Until Bastille Day 1918, the avenue was called Avenue d'Alma. It received its current name in honour of the British monarch George V, who was on the throne at the time, and had supported France during the First World War.Bateau-Lavoir
The Bateau-Lavoir ("Washhouse Boat") is the nickname of a building in the Montmartre district of the 18th arrondissement of Paris that is famous in art history as the residence and meeting place for a group of outstanding early 20th-century artists, men of letters, theater people, and art dealers. It is located at No. 13 Rue Ravignan at Place Emile Goudeau, just below the Place du Tertre.
A fire destroyed most of the building in May 1970 and only the façade remained, but it was completely rebuilt in 1978.France Miniature
France Miniature is a miniature park tourist attraction in Élancourt, France featuring scale models of major French landmarks and monuments in an outdoor park.Galerie Vivienne
The Galerie Vivienne is one of the covered passages of Paris, France, located in the 2nd arrondissement. It is 176 metres (577 ft) long and 3 metres (9.8 ft) wide. The gallery has been registered as a historical monument since 7 July 1974.Grand Synagogue of Paris
The Grand Synagogue of Paris, generally known as Synagogue de la Victoire or Grande Synagogue de la Victoire, is situated at 44, Rue de la Victoire, in the 9th arrondissement. It also serves as the official seat of the chief rabbi of Paris.History of parks and gardens of Paris
Paris today has more than 421 municipal parks and gardens, covering more than three thousand hectares and containing more than 250,000 trees. Two of Paris's oldest and most famous gardens are the Tuileries Garden, created in 1564 for the Tuileries Palace, and redone by André Le Nôtre in 1664; and the Luxembourg Garden, belonging to a château built for Marie de' Medici in 1612, which today houses the French Senate. The Jardin des Plantes was the first botanical garden in Paris, created in 1626 by Louis XIII's doctor Guy de La Brosse for the cultivation of medicinal plants. Between 1853 and 1870, the Emperor Napoleon III and the city's first director of parks and gardens, Jean-Charles Alphand, created the Bois de Boulogne, the Bois de Vincennes, Parc Montsouris and the Parc des Buttes Chaumont, located at the four points of the compass around the city, as well as many smaller parks, squares and gardens in the neighborhoods of the city. One hundred sixty-six new parks have been created since 1977, most notably the Parc de la Villette (1987–1991) and Parc André Citroën (1992).Some of the most notable recent gardens of Paris are not city parks, but parks belonging to museums, including the gardens of the Rodin Museum and the Musée du quai Branly.Latin Quarter, Paris
The Latin Quarter of Paris (French: Quartier latin, IPA: [kaʁtje latɛ̃]) is an area in the 5th and the 6th arrondissements of Paris. It is situated on the left bank of the Seine, around the Sorbonne.
Known for its student life, lively atmosphere, and bistros, the Latin Quarter is the home to a number of higher education establishments besides the university itself, such as the École Normale Supérieure, the École des Mines de Paris, Panthéon-Assas University, the Schola Cantorum, and the Jussieu university campus. Other establishments such as the École Polytechnique have relocated in recent times to more spacious settings.
The area gets its name from the Latin language, which was widely spoken in and around the University during the Middle Ages, after the twelfth century philosopher Pierre Abélard and his students took up residence there.List of parks and gardens in Paris
Paris, France today has more than 421 municipal parks and gardens, covering more than three thousand hectares and containing more than 250,000 trees. The following is a list of public parks and gardens in the city.Montparnasse Cemetery
Montparnasse Cemetery (French: Cimetière du Montparnasse) is a cemetery in the Montparnasse quarter of Paris, part of the city's 14th arrondissement.Musée Pasteur
The Musée Pasteur is a museum dedicated to scientist Louis Pasteur. It is located within the Institut Pasteur at 25 Rue du Docteur Roux, Paris, France, in the 15th arrondissement, and open daily in the warmer months; an admission fee is charged.
The museum was established in 1935 in honor of Louis Pasteur (1822-1895), and preserves his memory in the apartment where he spent the last seven years of his life, as well as an impressive room where some 1,000 scientific instruments are exhibited, and the Neo-Byzantine chapel in which he is buried.Musée des Arts Décoratifs, Paris
Musée des Arts Décoratifs (Museum of Decorative Arts), a museum of the decorative arts and design, located in the Palais du Louvre's western wing, known as the Pavillon de Marsan, at 107 rue de Rivoli, in the 1st arrondissement of Paris, France. It is one of three museum locations of Les Arts Décoratifs, now collectively referred to as the MAD .
The museum also hosts exhibitions of fashion, advertising and graphic arts from its collections from the formerly separate but now defunct Musée de la Publicité and Musée de la mode et du textile.Musée des Arts et Métiers
The Musée des Arts et Métiers (French pronunciation: [myze dez‿aʁz‿e metje], Museum of Arts and Trades) is an industrial design museum in Paris that houses the collection of the Conservatoire national des arts et métiers (National Conservatory of Arts and Industry), which was founded in 1794 as a repository for the preservation of scientific instruments and inventions.Parc de Bercy
Parc de Bercy is a public park located along the right bank of the Seine in the 12th arrondissement of Paris. It was created in 1994-1997 as one of the major architectural projects of French President François Mitterrand on the site of a former wine depot. With a combined area of 13.9 hectares, composed of three different gardens on different themes connected by foot bridges, it is the tenth largest park in the city. It is accessible by Bercy and Cour Saint-Émilion Métro stations, and by a foot bridge to the National Library of France on the other side of the river.Passage Brady
Passage Brady is one of two iron-and-glass covered arcades (known in French as the Passages couverts de Paris) located in the 10th arrondissement of Paris, France constructed in 1828. It lies between Rue du Faubourg-Saint-Denis and Rue du Faubourg-Saint-Martin.
It is famous for the several Indian, Pakistani and Bangladeshi restaurants located in the arcade.Passage Choiseul
Passage Choiseul is one of the covered passages of Paris, France located in the 2nd arrondissement. It is the continuation of Rue de Choiseul.Paul Traverse
Paul Traverse was born in Saint-André-de-Cubzac. He was a French sculptor.Rive Gauche
La Rive Gauche (French pronunciation: [la ʁiv ɡoʃ], The Left Bank) is the southern bank of the river Seine in Paris. Here the river flows roughly westward, cutting the city in two: when facing downstream, the southern bank is to the left, and the northern bank (or Rive Droite) is to the right.
"Rive Gauche" or "Left Bank" generally refers to the Paris of an earlier era: the Paris of artists, writers, and philosophers, including Colette, Margaret Anderson, Djuna Barnes, Natalie Barney, Sylvia Beach, Erik Satie, Kay Boyle, Bryher, Caresse Crosby, Nancy Cunard, Hilda Doolittle (H.D.), Janet Flanner, Jane Heap, Maria Jolas, Mina Loy, Henry Miller, Adrienne Monnier, Anaïs Nin, Jean Rhys, Gertrude Stein, Alice B. Toklas, Renee Vivien, Edith Wharton Pablo Picasso, Arthur Rimbaud, Paul Verlaine, Henri Matisse, Jean-Paul Sartre, Ernest Hemingway, F. Scott Fitzgerald, James Baldwin, and dozens of other members of the great artistic community at Montparnasse. The phrase implies a sense of bohemianism, counterculture, and creativity. Some of its famous streets are the Boulevard Saint-Germain, the Boulevard Saint-Michel, the rue Bonaparte, and the Rue de Rennes.
The Latin Quarter is a Left Bank area in the 5th and 6th arrondissements in the vicinity of the University of Paris. In the twelfth century, the philosopher Pierre Abélard helped create the neighborhood when, due to his controversial teaching, he was pressured into relocating from the prestigious Île de la Cité to a less conspicuous residence. As he and his followers populated the Left Bank, it became famous for the prevalence of scholarly Latin spoken there. The area's origin story formed the basis of the saying, "Paris 'learned to think' on the Left Bank."Rue Marbeuf
Rue Marbeuf is a street in the 8th arrondissement of Paris. It starts at No. 20 Avenue George V and ends at No. 39 Avenue des Champs-Élysées. It is 460m long and 16m wide. The original Berluti store is at 26, rue Marbeuf.Solidays
Solidays is a French annual music festival that takes place at the Longchamp Racecourse in Paris at the end of June. Organised by Solidarité sida (a French HIV/AIDS awareness group for youth), the event brings together more than 150 artists and 170 000 festival-goers for three days (Friday, Saturday and Sunday). The proceeds from the festival are donated to organisations fighting against AIDS, especially for those focusing on the African continent.
The festival has been held since 1999. The performers involved in Solidays accept a reduced fee or appear for free as a sign of their solidarity. The 2013 edition raised over 2 million euros. The festival also features bungee jumping in addition to the music.Over the years, many French and foreign artists have appeared at Solidays, including DJ Snake, Bigflo & Oli, Kungs, Mac Miller, Vanessa Paradis, M83, Synapson, Paul Kalkbrenner, Bénabar, Madeon, Shaka Ponk, David Guetta, Kool & the Gang, Stromae, Louis Bertignac, Lily Allen, Louise Attaque, Grand Corps Malade, Earth, Wind & Fire and Diplo.
|Parks and gardens|
|Culture and events|