Panion (Greek: Πάνιον) or Panias (Πανιάς), in early Byzantine times known as Theodosiopolis (Θεοδοσιούπολις) and in later Byzantine and Ottoman times Panidos (Greek: Πάνιδος, Turkish: Banıdoz), was a town in Eastern Thrace on the coast of the Marmara Sea, on the site of the modern settlement of Barbaros in Tekirdağ Province, Turkey.
The city walls were restored sometime between 383 and 403, and shortly after, in c. 410–420, the historian Priscus was born in the city. At around the same time the city was officially renamed to Theodosiopolis, and the name was used in tandem with Panion for some time thereafter. The "bishop of new Theodosiopolis" (episcopus novae Theodosiopolis) Babylas addressed a letter to Emperor Leo I the Thracian (r. 457–474) on the saint Proterius of Alexandria. In the 6th-century Synecdemus, Panion is listed as one of the cities of the Roman province of Europa. In the 536 Synod of Constantinople, Andreas, the "bishop of the Paniots, that is the Theodosiopolitans", took part. The name of Theodosiopolis apparently survived until the middle Byzantine period, as a—now lost—border marker with the inscription kastron Theodospolis is known from the 8th/10th century.
A bishop Justin is known from an inscription of the 6th/7th centuries, Reginus participated in the Third Council of Constantinople in 680, and John in the Second Council of Nicaea in 787. In 813, the town was one of the few settlements that were able to successfully resist the invasion of the Bulgarian ruler Krum, due to its strong and well-maintained fortifications and the numerous inhabitants, who assisted in the defence. During the subsequent rebellion of Thomas the Slav in 820, the city sided with the rebel, and along with neighbouring Heraclea continued resisting the forces of Emperor Michael II the Amorian even after Thomas' death in October 823. Only after the city walls were damaged by an earthquake in February 824, did the inhabitants of the two cities surrender. Repairs to the city on Imperial orders are attested in an inscription variously dated to 824/829 or 842/856. Another inscription, dated to the 9th century but possibly earlier, mentions repairs undertaken by the bishop Theodore.
A number of lead seals from the 9th–12th centuries attest to the existence of a bishop Acindynus (9th/10th century), an archpriest Michael (10th/11th century), an unnamed archon of the town (10th century), the bishops John and Paul (11th century), the oikonomos Leo (11th/12th century), and the bishop Constantine Manasses, possibly the historian of the same name. A gravestone dated 27 February 965 mentions a Basil Diakonos, who founded a church dedicated to the Holy Unmercenaries, probably in the town. A great earthquake in September 1063 damaged the city. In 1096, the First Crusade passed by the city on its way across the Balkans to Constantinople. A few years later, the town was visited by the English pilgrim Sæwulf, on his return from the Holy Land. In 1136, two estates in the town, owned by the Triakontaphyllos family, belonged to the Pantokrator Monastery. The 12th-century traveller and geographer al-Idrisi visited the city of (Banedhos) in the middle of the century, and praised its spacious streets and its shops.
In the Partitio Romaniae of 1204, Panion is recorded as belonging to the episkepsis of Chalcis, and came under Venetian control. However, the town tried to oppose the Latins, and the Venetians launched a punitive expedition that plundered the city in 1205. In the next year, the city was entirely destroyed by the Bulgarian ruler Kaloyan, who resettled many of its inhabitants on the banks of the Danube. It is unknown when the city was resettled. Under Latin rule, a Roman Catholic bishop resided in Panion (Panadensem), attested since 1208.
With the decline and conquest of the Latin Empire by the Empire of Nicaea, Panion came again under Byzantine control and the see was restored to Greek Orthodox control. The town was probably occupied by the Catalan Company in 1306–1307, and its bishop was accused by Patriarch Athanasius I of Constantinople of collaborating with them. Bishop Ignatius is attested in 1351–1368, during which time the area fell to the Ottoman Turks; Panion itself was occupied without resistance by the future sultan Murad I in 1359. In 1382, Emperor John V Palaiologos ceded the town, along with Heraclea, Rhaidestos, and Selymbria, to his son Andronikos IV Palaiologos and his grandson John VII Palaiologos. It is unclear whether the Byzantines had retaken it in the meantime, as this is not mentioned in the sources, and it is possible that this deed represented a nominal transfer of territories not actually under Byzantine control at the time. The town was returned to Byzantine control in the 1403 Treaty of Gallipoli, but some Turkish troops may have remained garrisoned there. At any rate, the town was quickly lost again, perhaps as early as the 1410s. The town is most frequently mentioned during this time as a place of shipment of grain, particularly for supplying Constantinople.
The settlement remained predominantly Greek-populated under Ottoman rule, numbering 1,748 Greek inhabitants as late as 1922.
The Alys Robinson Stephens Performing Arts Center (ASC) is a performing arts facility located on the campus of the University of Alabama at Birmingham (UAB). It hosts over 250,000 people for more than 300 diverse events annually. The ASC is the center for entertainment and arts education in Birmingham and Central Alabama. The facility houses four performance venues, including the 1,330-seat Jemison Concert Hall, the 350-seat Sirote Theatre, the intimate 170-seat Reynolds-Kirschbaum Recital Hall, and the black-box Odess Theatre.
The ASC hosts a wide variety of events each year, in every field of artistic endeavor, from classical music, to jazz, to theatre and visual arts. Jazz programming offered by the ASC has included Diane Schuur, Branford Marsalis, the Count Basie Orchestra, and the UAB SuperJazz Big Band. Classical concerts have included Itzhak Perlman and major European orchestras. The ASC is the official home of the Alabama Symphony Orchestra. The ASC often collaborates with other local arts organizations, such as the Birmingham Music Club and the Alabama Jazz Hall of Fame to present concerts and educational programs, such as the Fun With Jazz Educational Program.
The Alys Stephens Center is also a venue for live recordings, including "Gospel Goes Classical," produced by UAB music professor Henry Panion, and "UAB SuperJazz, Featuring Ellis Marsalis," co-produced by Henry Panion and former UAB Director of Jazz Ensembles, Ray Reach.Ariassus
Ariassus or Ariassos (Ancient Greek: Άριασσός) was a town in Pisidia, Asia Minor built on a steep hillside about 50 kilometres inland from Attaleia (modern Antalya).Banias
Banias (Arabic: بانياس الحولة; Hebrew: בניאס) is the Arabic and modern Hebrew name of an ancient site that developed around a spring once associated with the Greek god Pan. It is located at the foot of Mount Hermon, north of the Golan Heights. The spring is the source of the Banias River, one of the main tributaries of the Jordan River. Archaeologists uncovered a shrine dedicated to Pan and related deities, and the remains of an ancient city founded sometime after the conquest by Alexander the Great and inhabited until 1967; the ancient city was mentioned in the Gospels of Matthew and Mark by the name of Caesarea Philippi.
The first mention of the ancient city during the Hellenistic period was in the context of the Battle of Panium, fought around 200-198 BCE, when the name of the region was given as the Panion. Later, Pliny called the city Paneas (Greek: Πανειάς). Both names were derived from that of Pan, the god of the wild and companion of the nymphs.
The spring at Banias initially originated in a large cave carved out of a sheer cliff face which was gradually lined with a series of shrines. The temenos (sacred precinct) included in its final phase a temple placed at the mouth of the cave, courtyards for rituals, and niches for statues. It was constructed on an elevated, 80m long natural terrace along the cliff which towered over the north of the city. A four-line inscription at the base of one of the niches relates to Pan and Echo, the mountain nymph, and was dated to 87 BCE.
The once very large spring gushed from the limestone cave, but an earthquake moved it to the foot of the natural terrace where it now seeps quietly from the bedrock, with a greatly reduced flow. From here the stream, called Nahal Hermon in Hebrew, flows towards what once were the malaria-infested Hula marshes.Caesarea Philippi
Not to be confused with Caesarea Maritima (modern Caesarea), also in Israel; Caesarea Mazaca (modern Kayseri) in Turkey; Philippi in Greece; or Baniyas in Syria.Caesarea Philippi (; Latin: Caesarea Philippi, literally "Philip's Caesarea"; Ancient Greek: Καισαρεία Φιλίππεια Kaisareía Philíppeia) was an ancient Roman city located at the southwestern base of Mount Hermon. It was adjacent to a spring, grotto, and related shrines dedicated to the Greek god Pan. Now nearly uninhabited, Caesarea is an archaeological site in the Golan Heights.
Caesarea was called Paneas (Πανειάς Pāneiás), later Caesarea Paneas, from the Hellenistic period after its association with the god Pan, a name that mutated to Banias , the name by which the site is known today. (This article deals with the history of Banias between the Hellenistic and early Islamic periods. For other periods, see Banias.) For a short period, the city was also known as Neronias (Νερωνιάς Nerōniás); the surrounding region was known as the Panion (Πάνειον Pā́neion).
Caesarea Philippi is mentioned by name in the Gospels of Matthew and Mark. The city may appear in the Old Testament under the name Baal Gad (literally "Master Luck", the name of a god of fortune who may later have been identified with Pan); Baal Gad is described as being "in the Valley of Lebanon below Mount Hermon." Philostorgius, Theodoret, Benjamin of Tudela, and Samuel ben Samson all incorrectly identified Caesarea Philippi with Laish (i.e. Tel Dan). Eusebius of Caesarea, however, accurately placed Laish in the vicinity of Paneas, but at the fourth mile on the route to Tyre.Caloe
Caloe was a town in the Roman province of Asia. It is mentioned as Kaloe or Keloue in 3rd-century inscriptions, as Kalose in Hierocles's Synecdemos (660), and as Kalloe, Kaloe, and Kolone in Parthey's Notitiæ episcopatuum, in which it figures from the 6th to the 12fth or 13th century.Cestrus
Cestrus was a city in the Roman province of Isauria, in Asia Minor. Its placing within Isauria is given by Hierocles, Georgius Cyprius, and Parthey's (Notitiae episcopatuum). While recognizing what the ancient sources said, Lequien supposed that the town, whose site has not been identified, took its name from the River Cestros and was thus in Pamphylia. Following Lequien's hypothesis, the 19th-century annual publication Gerarchia cattolica identified the town with "Ak-Sou", which Sophrone Pétridès called an odd mistake, since this is the name of the River Cestros, not of a city.Cotenna
Cotenna was a city in the Roman province of Pamphylia I in Asia Minor. It corresponds to modern Gödene, near Konya, Turkey.Henry Panion
Henry Panion, III is an American composer, arranger, conductor, educator, and Professor in the Department of Music at the University of Alabama at Birmingham.
Panion has produced, arranged and conducted for a number of noted artists, such as Stevie Wonder, The Winans, Chet Atkins, Ellis Marsalis, Jr. with the SuperJazz Big Band, Eugenia Zukerman, Aretha Franklin, The Blind Boys of Alabama, Chaka Khan, the Lionel Hampton Orchestra, and American Idol winners Carrie Underwood and Ruben Studdard.
Panion founded the UAB Recording Studio, where award-winning recordings by such groups as the UAB Gospel Choir and the UAB Jazz Ensemble have been produced.
Panion will receive the Civic and Cultural Advancement Award from the Congressional Black Caucus Sept. 25 at the Ronald Reagan Building and International Trade Center in Washington, D.C.sourceJonathan Butler
Jonathan Kenneth Butler (born 10 October 1961) is a South African singer-songwriter and guitarist. His music is often classified as R&B, jazz fusion or worship music.List of University of Alabama at Birmingham people
This is a partial list of people affiliated with The University of Alabama at Birmingham.Lyrbe
Lyrbe (spelled Lyrba in the 1910 Catholic Encyclopedia; Ancient Greek: Λύρβη) was a city and episcopal see in the Roman province of Pamphylia Prima and is now a titular see.Natural Wonder
Natural Wonder is a live album by American musician Stevie Wonder, released in 1995 and recorded in Osaka, Japan. It is an edited version of a televised concert Wonder performed with the Tokyo Philharmonic Orchestra. It is his fourth live album after Recorded Live: The 12 Year Old Genius (1963), Stevie Wonder Live (1970), and Live at the Talk of the Town (also 1970).Panium
Panium, an ancient name in honour of the god Pan, may refer to:
Banias, an ancient site in the Israeli-occupied Golan Heights
Panion, a city in Eastern Thrace, modern Barbaros
Battle of Panium, a conflict in 200 BCPriscus
Priscus of Panium (; Greek: Πρίσκος) was a 5th-century Roman diplomat and Greek historian and rhetorician (or sophist).Stratonicea (Lydia)
Stratonicea – (Greek: Στρατoνικεια, or Στρατονίκεια) also transliterated as Stratoniceia and Stratonikeia, earlier Indi, and later for a time Hadrianapolis – was an ancient city in the valley of the Caicus river, between Germe and Acrasus, in Lydia, Anatolia; its site is currently near the village of Siledik, in the district of Kırkağaç, Manisa Province, in the Aegean Region of Turkey.Theodosiopolis
Theodosiopolis or Theodosioupolis (Ancient Greek: Θεοδοσιούπολις, "city (polis) of Theodosius") can refer to several cities of classical antiquity (re)named after emperor Theodosius:
In EuropePanion in Thrace, modern Barbaros in TurkeyIn AsiaErzurum in Turkey
Perperene, located today near Bergama in Turkey
Euaza in the region of Ephesus, located today in Turkey
Resaina, the modern Ras al-Ayn in SyriaIn AfricaTheodosiopolis in Arcadia in Lower Egypt
Tebtunis in Lower Egypt
Hebenu in Upper EgyptUAB SuperJazz, Featuring Ellis Marsalis
UAB SuperJazz, Featuring Ellis Marsalis is a CD, recorded in 2001 by the SuperJazz Big Band (formerly "UAB SuperJazz") of Birmingham, Alabama with guest piano soloist Ellis Marsalis. The recording, produced by University of Alabama at Birmingham (UAB) faculty members Ray Reach and Henry Panion, is a compilation of musical selections recorded in concert at the Alys Stephens Center on the campus of UAB. The album was mixed at the UAB Recording Studio. Recording engineers for the project were Blake English and James Bevelle. Remix engineers were James Bevelle and Ray Reach.
The CD was originally released on the UAB Entertainment label, a company which was founded by Henry Panion. The musical selections on the CD represent a variety of big band (jazz orchestra) arrangements, some done by well-known big band arrangers, and others done by members of the SuperJazz Big Band, including the band's founding director Dr. Everett Lawler, saxophonist Neil McLean, trombonist Charles Ard, pianist / vocalist Ray Reach, and noted jazz educator Steve Sample, Sr.Üçayaklı ruins
The Üçayaklı ruins are in Mersin Province, Turkey.İnecik, Tekirdağ
İnecik is a district in the municipality of Süleymanpaşa, in Tekirdağ Province in European Turkey. Its Ottoman-era name was Aynadjik, and its Byzantine-era name was Chalcis (Greek: Χαλκίς).