Padiham (/ˈpædiəm/ PAD-i-əm) is a small town and civil parish on the River Calder, about three miles (5 km) west of Burnley and south of Pendle Hill, in Lancashire, England. It is part of the Borough of Burnley, but has its own town council with varied powers. Padiham was originally a rural village lying by the River Calder. It is still surrounded by attractive countryside on an arc running from the north-west to the north-east in the foothills of Pendle Hill.
Padiham Town Hall in 1994,
designed by Bradshaw Gass & Hope 1938
Shown within Burnley Borough
|Area||2.46 sq mi (6.4 km2) |
|Population||10,098 (2011) |
|• Density||4,105/sq mi (1,585/km2)|
|OS grid reference|
|Sovereign state||United Kingdom|
|EU Parliament||North West England|
No prehistoric or Roman sites have been found in the urban area and Padiham, a name of Anglo-Saxon origin, is not recorded in the Domesday Book. The first recorded mention of the town, as Padyngham, dates from 1294. For hundreds of years it was a market town where produce from Pendleside was bought and sold. The town expanded and was substantially redeveloped during the Industrial Revolution and the central area is now a conservation area.
Padiham's population peaked around 1921 at about 14,000 declining to 10,000 in the early 1960s and 8,998 at the time of the 2001 census. This follows people moving to the south of England in search of work following the decline of the traditional cotton, coal and engineering manufacturing base during that period.
Padiham was once a township in the ancient parish of Whalley. This became a civil parish in 1866. An urban district covered the town from 1894 (until 1974), however at this time the rural areas mainly to the north became a new civil parish called Northtown, forming part of the Burnley Rural District. But the Padiham Green area, previously part of Hapton,[a] transferred to Padiham with another small area following in 1935. Since 1974 Padiham has formed part of the Borough of Burnley. A Town Council was established in 2002.
Councillors for Padiham on Burnley Borough Council are elected to the Gawthorpe Ward, which covers most of Padiham but not Gawthorpe Hall, with the southern and eastern areas covered by the Hapton with Park Ward. Burnley Borough Council now addresses public correspondence to both the people of Burnley and Padiham. Padiham is part of Lancashire County Council and the Parliamentary Constituency is Burnley currently represented by Julie Cooper for the Labour Party.
In the 19th century, Padiham's industry was based on coal-mining and weaving. Helm Mill on Factory Lane was the first mill built in 1807. By 1906 there were twenty cotton mills though the best preserved, now converted into flats, is Victoria Mill, built 1852–53 with an 1873 extension, in Ightenhill Street. Many local cotton workers were members of the Padiham Weavers' Association, the membership of which peaked in 1907 at more than 6,000.
Industrial development was helped by the proximity of the Leeds and Liverpool Canal about 2 miles (3.2 km) south. By 1848, Padiham had many coal pits around the town, including two large collieries and a number of smaller workings. The availability of coal and water nearby helped the development of the cotton industry in the town. The arrival of the railway at Hapton in 1840 and Padiham itself in 1877 further boosted industry in the town. The last pit closed around 1870, although mining continued in areas outside the town into the 1950s and open cast mining took place in the 1960s east of the town close to Gawthorpe Hall but north of the River Calder off Grove Lane.
Since the 1960s the remaining cotton mills have also continued a decline which began in the 1930s. Padiham's second role as a manufacturing base has also been in decline since the 1990s. The town's last major employer in this sector, Baxi, closed its factory in March 2007 with the loss of 500 jobs. A modern business park, Shuttleworth Mead, opened in 2001 on the western edge of the town on the site of the old Padiham Power Station which closed in 1993, supported by £2.2 million from the European Regional Development Fund and £2 million from the North West Development Agency. Tenants include Supanet, an internet service provider (ISP) and Graham & Brown, a wallcoverings company.
In 2007 Fort Vale Engineering moved into the old Mullard/Philips site at Calder Vale Park, Simonstone which had closed in 2004, and developed a new purpose-built factory. Fort Vale Engineering employs around 280 people from around the local area and has brought new business to other local employers.
There are five significant halls in the local area: Huntroyde Hall, dating from 1576, and Simonstone Hall, dating from 1660, in nearby Simonstone, are both privately owned. Gawthorpe Hall was donated to the National Trust in 1970 but is jointly managed with Lancashire County Council, which has a 99-year lease. Gawthorpe is in the Ightenhill district.
The Trust also runs an office and a tea room in the courtyard of the property. Gawthorpe was the family home of the Shuttleworth family who occupied Shuttleworth Hall near Hapton from the 12th century. The current building dates from 1639 and is still a working farm. Read Hall and Park is in the nearby village of Read, about 1 mile (1.6 km) west of Padiham on the A671.
St Leonard's Church, the town's parish church, dates from 1866–69 and is a Grade II listed building. It was built on the site of earlier churches dating back to at least 1451. The original churchyard did not extend as far to the north as it does today. In 1802 proposals were made to extend the churchyard and remove "nuisances" on the north side of the church. In 1835 the churchyard was extended northwards and it seems likely that at this time the former premises of Padiham Grammar School were purchased and demolished.
Padiham Memorial Park at the top of Church Street, was designed by Thomas Mawson, an influential and prolific landscape designer. It was officially opened in 1921 as a memorial to those from the town who gave their lives in the First World War, but it also records those who gave their lives in the Second World War.
The park covers 12 acres (4.9 ha) on two sites divided by the River Calder. The upper section is mainly formal, dominated by Knight Hill House, currently used as an Age UK (formerly Age Concern) day centre, and has a rose garden, lawns and two memorials. The lower section, off Park Street, has two bowling greens, tennis courts, skate park and Padiham Leisure Centre. The park is a Green Flag award winner. The park still had the remains of some Second World War air raid shelters in 2008.
Padiham War Memorial itself is at the main entrance to the park in Blackburn Road. There is a second memorial at All Saints' with St John the Baptist off the A671, Padiham Road opposite the George IV pub. A local man, Thomas Clayton, funded the park in his will; public subscription provided additional money for the park's many features.
Near the war memorial, the Air Crash Memorial is a memorial to several young people from the town killed on 3 July 1970 when a Dan Air de Havilland Comet deviated from its intended course and crashed into the high ground of the Montseny Range in north-eastern Spain - see: Dan-Air Flight 1903.
The aircraft, destroyed on impact and subsequent ground fire, contained three flight crew, four cabin crew and 105 passengers aboard, all of whom suffered fatal injuries. It was the airline's first fatal accident involving fare-paying passengers. The tour operator, Clarksons Holidays, was at the time the largest package holiday company in Britain.
A number of other buildings in the area, less significant than Gawthorpe and others mentioned above, are still of historic interest. Hargrove can be seen from a public footpath off the Padiham by-pass and is just north of the town and the 1950s council housing estate north of Windermere Road. For over 400 years the house was the home of the Webster family of yeoman farmers. The house is probably 17th century and is part of the Huntroyed estate. Coal from a local outcrop heated the house for many years. Stockbridge House in Victoria Road was occupied by the Holts, a farming family, in 1802 and has a Jacobean chimney. High Whitaker Farm is north-east of Hargrove, also accessible by public footpath from both Higham Road and Grove Lane. The building is 16th century and said to have been used to hide Catholics during the reign of Henry VIII. Other houses of note are Priddy Bank Farm and Foulds House Farm, both off Sabden Road, and Arbory Lodge on Arbory Drive.
Padiham railway station was on a branch line (usually known as the Great Harwood loop) of the East Lancashire Line from Burnley to Blackburn which opened in 1877; it was closed on 2 December 1957 and the railway station later demolished. The railway line was retained for continuing deliveries of coal to Padiham Power Station until the power station closed in 1993. The nearest railway station is now at Hapton, about 2 miles (3.2 km) south and the line converted to a footpath/bridleway/cycleway called the Padiham Greenway, completed in June 2010. The town is now served by Burnley Bus Company services from Accrington, Burnley, Nelson, Colne and beyond, and Blackburn Bus Company service 152 from Burnley, Blackburn and Preston.
Junctions 8 and 10 of the M65, both around 2 miles (3 km) from the town centre, give Padiham access to the motorway network. Junction 8 of the M65 also gives the town access to the A56 dual carriageway leading to the M66 and quick access to the Manchester motorway network.
In December 2015, central Padiham was severely damaged by flooding when the River Calder burst its banks and engulfed neighbouring homes and businesses. Restoration work continues.
The 1845 map (1) shows the town of Padiham in the early days of the Lancashire cotton industry in Victorian times with three mills already marked. Most of the town at this stage was north of the river. Part of the Huntroyde Demesne is marked in the top left corner. The River Calder, on the right of the map, flows to the north, having been diverted from its original route, away from Gawthorpe Hall (indicated in pink), in the early 19th century, because of pollution. In the 1960s the river was re-routed to its original course to accommodate open cast coal mining. The 1890 Ordnance Survey map (2) shows the growth of the cotton industry in the latter part of the 19th century. The 1–25,000 scale OS map (3) is a partial extract from the two maps indicated. A number of historical locations are shown including Read Hall (A2) and Read (B2); Martholme, just east of the start of the Martholme Viaduct (A3); Simonstone and Simonstone Hall (C3); Huntroyd and grounds (D1-D2); Padiham Power Station (D3) with the connecting branch line for fuel; post-war housing development north of the town off Slade Lane (E2); High Whitaker (F1); River Calder on the old alignment from Gawthore Hall and grounds (F2); Location of Pendle Hall (G1); Location of Ightenhill Manor House (G2); Leeds and Liverpool Canal in Burnley (J1). The line of the railway line through Padiham is also shown.
The A678 is a road in Lancashire, England, which runs between the towns of Blackburn and Padiham.
The road was formerly the main route between Blackburn and Burnley before it was bypassed by the M65 motorway which opened in the 1980s. It currently runs between the A6078 Blackburn Town Centre Orbital Route and the A671 in Padiham, via the small towns of Rishton and Clayton-le-Moors, having been extended at the Blackburn end when the A677 was renumbered east of Blackburn. Within Blackburn the road is a primary route. It forms the main route for traffic arriving in Blackburn from other towns in East Lancashire and West Yorkshire, as it connects the town centre with the M65 junction 6 at Whitebirk. The Red Lion roundabout at Whitebirk, where the A678 joins the A6119, with slip roads to the M65, had become prone to traffic congestion since the M65 was extended in 1997, and was recently upgraded with the addition of traffic lights.The A678 is the main road through Rishton and is called Blackburn Road, High Street and Hermitage Street. It crosses the A680 at a set of traffic lights in Clayton-le-Moors and then passes through Altham before it reaches the A6068, and then the A671 in Padiham. Although most of the road between Whitebirk and Padiham is bypassed by the M65 and is no longer a primary route it is considered by Hyndburn Borough Council to be one of the district's primary roads according to its Local Plan. and provides access to industrial estates in Altham.Amalgamated Textile Warehousemen's Association
The Amalgamated Textile Warehousemen's Association was a trade union representing workers in the textile industry in the United Kingdom, principally in Lancashire.
The union was founded in 1894 as the Amalgamated Society of Clothlookers and Warehousemen, and initially had just 203 members across five autonomous branches. These branches were in Blackburn, Burnley, Bury, Colne and Nelson, Great Harwood and Padiham. Early in the 1900s, these branches established greater co-ordination and the organisation was renamed the General Amalgamation of Clothlookers and Warehousemen. New district associations were established in other towns in Lancashire and Cheshire on the initiative of the amalgamation, and by 1910 it had 21 branches with 2,790 members.
In 1913, the association took its best-known name, the "Amalgamated Textile Warehousemen's Association", and membership rose rapidly, to a peak of 11,000 in 1921. By the 1970s, it was losing members rapidly due to redundancies in the industry. It changed its name again to the Amalgamated Textile Warehouse Operatives Association, and developed strong links with the Amalgamated Textile Workers Union, the two sharing a general secretary.Most of the association's branches amalgamated or left the association in the early 1980s. The Amalgamated Textile Workers' Union itself merged into the General, Municipal, Boilermakers and Allied Trades Union (GMBATU) in 1985, and the Warehouse Operatives was dissolved the following year. Two remaining affiliates, in Bolton and Hyde, then merged into GMBATU, while Colne merged into GMBATU only in 1990, Nelson dissolved in 1991, and Padiham continued in existence.Borough of Burnley
The Borough of Burnley () is a local government district of Lancashire, England, with the status of a non-metropolitan district and borough. It has an area of 42.7 square miles (110.7 km2) and a population of 87,700 (mid-2017 est.), and is named after its largest town, Burnley. The borough is bounded by Hyndburn, Ribble Valley, Pendle, Rossendale – all in Lancashire – and the borough of Calderdale in West Yorkshire. It is governed by Burnley Borough Council, which is currently under no overall control following the 2019 local elections.Brett Ormerod
Brett Ryan Ormerod (born 18 October 1976) is an English retired professional footballer. A forward, he made 340 appearances in the Football League, including 215 for Blackpool, for whom he is the only player to have scored in all of the top four divisions of English football.
In his 20-year-long playing career, Ormerod played for Accrington Stanley, Southampton, Leeds United, Wigan Athletic, Preston North End, Nottingham Forest, Oldham Athletic, Rochdale, Wrexham, Padiham and Bamber Bridge.Burnley Express
For the cricketer with the same nickname, see James Anderson (cricketer).
The Burnley Express is a newspaper for Burnley and Padiham, England and surrounding area. It is printed twice weekly on Tuesday and Friday, which is the larger edition. In print since 1877, it is now part of the Johnston Press group. The Padiham Express is a variant with the first few pages being specific to Padiham. Much of the content is also available on the paper's website.Ellis Stuttard
John Ellis Stuttard (24 April 1920 – 1983) was an English professional association footballer who played as a full back. After retiring, he had spells as manager of Plymouth Argyle and Exeter City.Gawthorpe Hall
Gawthorpe Hall is an Elizabethan country house on the banks of the River Calder, in the civil parish of Ightenhill in the Borough of Burnley, Lancashire, England. Its estate extends into Padiham, with the Stockbridge Drive entrance situated there. Since 1953 it has been designated a grade I listed building. The hall is financed and run by the National Trust in partnership with Lancashire County Council. In 2015 the Hall was given £500,000 funding from Lancashire County Council for vital restoration work needed on the south and west sides of the house.General Stevenson
General Stevenson (1875–1961) was an English footballer who played as a right back, notably for Liverpool and Millwall.
Born in Padiham, west of Burnley, Stevenson began his career in 1893 with the amateur side Hapton. He moved onto Padiham two years later before Liverpool bought him in August 1898. Stevenson debuted for Liverpool in November, away to Nottingham Forest, but made just 23 appearances in the two seasons he spent with the club. He left in 1900 for Barnsley, playing 54 times until transferring to Millwall in 1903. Stevenson established himself as a popular regular for Millwall, becoming team captain and making 318 appearances, scoring nine goals.Stevenson guided the club to three titles: the London League in 1904 and the Western League in 1908 and 1909. Additionally, Stevenson won the Southern Professional Charity Cup in 1904. His benefit match against Northampton Town in 1909 attracted a crowd of 10,000. He became a pub landlord in retirement. His son, Arthur, was a professional rugby league footballer for Wigan. and footballer for Sheffield United and Middlesbrough.Great Harwood railway station
Great Harwood railway station was located in the south east side of Great Harwood, Lancashire, England on Station Road, which still remains. The station was on a branch line, usually known as the Great Harwood loop, of the East Lancashire Line from Burnley to Blackburn via Rose Grove, Padiham, Simonstone and Great Harwood.Leck Hall
Leck Hall is an 18th-century country house located at Leck, Lancashire, England, near Kirkby Lonsdale.
The hall is grade II listed. and stands in an informal park with an orangery nearby. Home farm, late 18th century, is close to the house and there is a Lodge at the entrance to the drive.It is the current seat of Baron Shuttleworth, of Gawthorpe Hall, Padiham in the County Palatine of Lancaster (Lancashire) and is not open to the public.Listed buildings in Padiham
Padiham is a town and a civil parish in the borough of Burnley, Lancashire, England. The parish contains 31 buildings that are recorded in the National Heritage List for England as designated listed buildings. Of these, two are listed at Grade II*, the middle grade, and the others are at Grade II, the lowest grade. The parish consists of the town of Padiham and surrounding countryside.
At first Padiham was a market town, but following the Industrial Revolution a number of cotton mills were built. Most of the older listed buildings are farmhouses and farm buildings. The later listed buildings include houses, some of them in rows, churches and associated structures, a lodge at the entrance of a drive to Gawthorpe Hall, an engine house, banks, a former school and master's house, the town hall, and township boundary stones.Padiham F.C.
Padiham Football Club are an English football team based in Padiham, Lancashire. As of 2017–18, they play in the North West Counties League Premier DivisionPadiham Power Station
Padiham Power Station was a coal-fired power station in Padiham, east Lancashire, England, which began operation in 1926 and generated power from 1927 till it was closed in 1993.Padiham and District Weavers', Winders' and Warpers' Association
The Padiham and District Weavers', Winders' and Warpers' Association was a trade union representing cotton weavers in the Padiham area of Lancashire, in England.
The foundation date of the union is unclear, having been given variously as 1850, 1856 or 1858. It definitely existed by 1858, when it became a founder constituent of the North East Lancashire Amalgamated Weavers' Association. The following year, it led a 29-week strike.In 1884, the union was a founding constituent of the Amalgamated Weavers' Association. Membership of the union was over 4,000 by 1892, and peaked at just under 6,010 in 1907. Unlike many other cotton industry unions, in 1915 it voted against funding the Labour Party. It then decided to register with the government, but almost immediately changed its mind, and deregistered.Union membership declined along with employment in the Lancashire cotton industry, and by 1960 the union had only 900 members remaining. It remained independent until 1977, when it merged into the Burnley, Nelson and District Textile Workers' Union.Padiham railway station
Padiham railway station in Station Street, Padiham, Lancashire, England was on a branch line (usually known as the Great Harwood loop) of the East Lancashire Line from Burnley to Blackburn.Padiham witch
Margaret Pearson, also known as the Padiham witch because she lived in the town of Padiham in Lancashire, England, was among those tried with the Pendle witches in the Lancashire witch trials of 1612. This, her third trial for witchcraft, took place on 19 August at Lancaster Assizes in front of Sir James Altham and Sir Edward Bromley.
One of the Pendle witches, Anne Whittle, also known as Chattox, had accused Pearson of "riding a mare ... to death", so she was charged with killing a horse. The only other evidence submitted against her came from a fellow resident of Padiham, Jennet Booth, who said that on a visit to Pearson's husband while Margaret was in prison a toad had jumped out of a pile of firewood. Found guilty of non-capital witchcraft Pearson escaped execution, and was instead sentenced to be pilloried in Lancaster, Clitheroe, Whalley and Padiham on four market days, followed by a year in prison.River Calder, Lancashire
The River Calder is a major tributary of the River Ribble in Lancashire, England and is around 20 miles (32 km) in length.Shuttleworth College, Padiham
Shuttleworth College is a mixed 11–16 foundation secondary school located in Padiham, Burnley, Lancashire.Simonstone railway station
Simonstone railway station was located on the east side of Simonstone Lane, 0.75 miles (1 km) south of Simonstone centre and near Padiham, Lancashire, England. It was on a branch line (usually known as the Great Harwood loop) of the East Lancashire Line, from Burnley to Blackburn.
Geography of the Borough of Burnley
|Boroughs or districts|