Oulton, West Yorkshire

Oulton is a village in the City of Leeds metropolitan borough, West Yorkshire, England, between Leeds and Wakefield. It is at the junction of the A639 and A642 roads. Though now adjoining the village of Woodlesford, it was once quite separate.

The village formed part of the Rothwell Urban District until its merger into the City of Leeds Metropolitan District in 1974 and today sits in the Rothwell ward of Leeds City Council. It is also in the Elmet and Rothwell parliamentary constituency.

Oulton Hall was built in 1850 and is now a hotel and conference centre.

Oulton's most famous son is Richard Bentley who became Master of Trinity College, Cambridge.

Oulton Edrus Tailor 2016

Half-Timbered house on the Leeds Road, Oulton

Oulton The Three Horseshoes 2016

Three Horseshoes inn, Oulton

Oulton Methodist Church 2016

Oulton Methodist Church

St John's Church - Oulton - geograph.org.uk - 404415

St John the Evangelist's Church

Oulton Bentley Square Plaque 2016

Richard Bentley plaque

Oulton Aberford Road 2016
Oulton boundary stone A639

External links

Further reading


Coordinates: 53°44′56″N 1°27′04″W / 53.749°N 1.451°W

Bernard Prior

Bernard Prior (12 May 1934 – 17 June 2012) was an English professional rugby league footballer who played in the 1950s and 1960s. He played at representative level for Great Britain and Yorkshire, and at club level for Leeds, Hunslet and Wakefield Trinity (Heritage № 724), as a hooker, i.e. number 9, during the era of contested scrums.

James Edward Neild

James Edward Neild L.S.A.(Lond.), M.D., Ch.M. (Melb.), (6 July 1824 – 17 August 1906) was an English-born Australian forensic pathologist, drama critic, medical editor and journalist.

List of new churches by Thomas Rickman

Thomas Rickman (1776–1841) was a self-taught English architect who practised in Liverpool and Birmingham. His major output consisted of new churches, most of which were in Gothic Revival style. He also restored and made additions and alterations to churches, and worked on other designs, including country houses, public buildings, schools, and banks.Rickman was born in Maidenhead, Berkshire. He trained in medicine and practised in Lewes, Sussex, from 1801 to 1803, but did not continue in this career, working in London with a corn factor, and then moving to Liverpool in 1808 to work as an insurance clerk. During this time he had begun to take an interest in Gothic architecture. While in Liverpool he met John Cragg, the owner of an iron foundry, and with him designed three churches. using cast iron for both their construction and decoration. He then worked with John Slater in the redesign of Scarisbrick Hall. In 1817 he opened an architectural office in Liverpool, and the following year he was joined by Henry Hutchinson, initially as a pupil, and from 1821 as a partner. Meanwhile, in 1817 he published the first edition of An Attempt to Discriminate the Styles of English Architecture. In this he divided English architecture into styles that have continued to be accepted since, namely Norman, Early English, Decorated, and Perpendicular.Rickman then became involved with the Church Commissioners, designing, with others, a series of churches that have become to be known as Commissioners' churches, the first of his being St George's Church in Birmingham. He opened an office in that city in 1820, and moved there with Hutchinson the following year, where he spent the rest of his career. At about this time he was appointed as architect to Worcester Cathedral, and shortly after this he started work with Hutchinson on what was to become his major commission, New Court at St John's College, Cambridge. In 1830 he was elected to the Society of Antiquaries of London, thus acknowledging his acceptance into the profession. Hutchinson died in 1831, and during that year R. C. Hussey joined the practice, becoming a partner in 1835. Rickman died from liver disease in 1841.This list contains details of new churches designed by Thomas Rickman.

Oulton Hall

Oulton Hall in Oulton, West Yorkshire, England is a Grade II listed building. It was once the home of the Blayds/Calverley family. After a major fire in 1850 the hall was remodelled, but its fortunes declined until it was revived for use as a hotel. It is now a 4 star hotel, part of the QHotels group.

St John the Evangelist's Church, Oulton

St John the Evangelist's Church, Oulton, West Yorkshire, England is an active Anglican parish church in the archdeaconry of Leeds and the Diocese of Leeds.

Places adjacent to Oulton, West Yorkshire

This page is based on a Wikipedia article written by authors (here).
Text is available under the CC BY-SA 3.0 license; additional terms may apply.
Images, videos and audio are available under their respective licenses.