All of the early incarnations of "Oriole Park" were built within a few blocks of each other.
The first field called Oriole Park was built on the southwest corner of Sixth Street / Huntingdon Avenue (later renamed 25th Street), to the north; and York Road (later Greenmount Avenue) to the east. The park was also variously known as Huntingdon Avenue Park and American Association Park. It was the first home of the major league American Association professional baseball franchise, the first to bear the name of the Baltimore Orioles, during 1882–1888.
In 1889, the Orioles club moved four blocks north and opened a new Oriole Park, (retroactively tagged as Oriole Park II). It was on a roughly rectangular block bounded by 10th Street (later renamed 29th Street) (on the north) and York Road (later Greenmount Avenue) (on the east). The future 9th Street (later renamed 28th Street) would be south, and the future Barclay Street would be west. This field in the then suburban village of Waverly, a community then just outside the northeast city limits of Baltimore at North Avenue (then called Boundary Avenue), from 1816, served as the home of the American Association Orioles entry during 1889 through the first month of the spring season in 1891.
A rough diagram of the ballpark which appeared in the Baltimore Sun on March 21, 1889, showed the diamond and the stands in the northern portion of the block, with the outfield in the southern portion. The club's reason for abandoning the park after just two full seasons is implied in another Baltimore Sun article, for April 27, 1891, describing the upcoming Union Park as "better and more convenient". Coincidentally, Oriole Park II was one city block south of two later Oriole Parks at 29th Street and Greenmount Avenue in the early 20th century, 1901–1915 and 1916–1944.
The club opened Union Park (sometimes called Oriole Park, and retroactively tagged Oriole Park III) in early 1891 also south of Waverly at Greenmount Avenue and Sixth Street (also called Huntingdon Avenue, and today known as 25th Street) and operated there for the rest of the 1890s, when the team joined the National League of 1892 after the competing American Association folded. Union Park was the Orioles' home during the first "glory years" of Baltimore baseball. Despite their great success in the 1890s, with three straight National League pennants and winning the "Temple Cup" Series twice, Baltimore was dropped when the National League contracted from 12 to eight teams in 1900.
The newly formed American League from the reorganized Western League, under its new president Ban Johnson, took up in 1901 where the reduced National League had left off the previous year, adding some of the dropped cities while directly challenging the National in other cities. They opened a new Oriole Park (retroactively called Oriole Park IV, as well as being dubbed "American League Park" by the contemporary media). It was on the same site but slightly farther north as the 1889–91 field site (located at ) from the last years of the old American Association.
The American League's new Orioles and charter member team played for two seasons before they were transferred north for the 1903 season to become the New York Highlanders (or the New York Americans), as part of a peace pact and recognition agreement between the two competing baseball leagues, and to give the American League a foothold in the nation's largest city. That Highlanders team soon became known as the New York Yankees. Baltimore revived professional baseball as a minor league club, an entry in the Eastern League (later renamed International League), which began play at this same Oriole Park/American League Park. There they were very successful, producing some remarkable and marketable players, including the local star Babe Ruth, who was sold to the Boston Red Sox as a pitcher, and later gained even greater fame as a home run slugger with that same New York Yankees franchise which had begun in Baltimore.
The block was rectangular, with home plate in the northwest corner. A Baltimore Sun piece about the new Terrapin Park on May 29, 1914, gave the dimensions of Oriole Park (IV) as left field 322 feet, center field 475 feet, right field 318 feet.
The last and by far the best known Oriole Park prior to Camden Yards is the fifth one, started in life as Terrapin Park. It was the home field of the Baltimore Terrapins of the short-lived Federal League of 1914–1915. Some of the "Fed" facilities, such as the eventual Wrigley Field, in Chicago (for the Chicago Cubs) were made of steel and concrete, but Terrapin Park was made of wood, which would prove to be its undoing, but its eventual demise would boost Baltimore's chances of returning to the major leagues.
Terrapin Park was built on a wedge-shaped block bounded by 10th Street (later renamed 29th Street), York Road (later Greenmount Avenue), 11th Street (later renamed 30th Street) and the angling small alley-like Vineyard Lane (originally Gilmore Lane). That is, it was directly across the street, to the north and west, from the existing Oriole Park/American League Park. That competition proved too strong for the Orioles, who moved out of Baltimore in mid-season 1914. The Federal League experiment ended after two seasons, and a revived Orioles club acquired the newer park to the north in 1916, renaming it Oriole Park, (now retroactively labeled Oriole Park V). The abandoned Oriole Park IV property became the site of a Billy Sunday tabernacle.
Following the demise of the "Fed", the Baltimore professional baseball interests became a primary party in an antitrust legal suit filed against Major League Baseball and involving the Commissioner of Baseball. This resulted in the landmark 1922 U.S. Supreme Court decision, in Federal Baseball Club v. National League, that exempted baseball from antitrust laws.
On April 18, 1919, the Red Sox came through town on their way north from spring training, and played an exhibition game at Oriole Park (V). Ruth then put on a hitting exhibition the likes of which Baltimoreans (and most others) had never seen before, rocketing four home runs out of the ballpark, three of which were estimate to have traveled 500 feet or more.
The Orioles had great success at this ballpark, winning seven consecutive International League championships from 1919 through 1925.
In 1930, Oriole Park (V) joined the growing ranks of minor league ballparks with lights for night games. The Orioles played a couple of exhibition games against major league teams, then staged their first International League night game on September 11.
Terrapin / Oriole Park was located at. Home plate was toward the southwest corner, in the "vee" of the wedge-shaped block. The playing field was small by modern standards. The exact dimensions are not known with precision, but a Baltimore Sun item from May 2, 1935, indicates left field 290 feet, center field 412 feet (it was about 450 before the scoreboard was added), and right field 313 feet.
This fifth Oriole Park was the club's home for the next 28½ seasons. The team enjoyed great success, especially in the early 1920s when the Orioles won seven consecutive International League pennants. Great care was always taken to protect the aging wooden structure, such as hosing it down after games. But on the night of July 3, 1944, a fire of uncertain origin (speculated to have been a discarded cigarette) totally consumed the old ballpark and every object the team had on-site, including uniforms and trophies.
The club quickly arranged to make their temporary home in Municipal Stadium, the city's football field which had opened in 1922. Literally rising from the ashes, the Orioles went on to win the International League championship, and then the Junior World Series over Louisville of the American Association. The large post-season crowds that fall of 1944 at Municipal Stadium, which would not have been possible at the old wooden Oriole Park, caught the attention of the major leagues, and Baltimore soon became a viable option for struggling teams who were considering moving to other cities.
Motivated by the Orioles' success, the city chose to rebuild the old Municipal Stadium as a multi-purpose facility of major league caliber, which they renamed Memorial Stadium. Two new tenants were the National Football League's newly relocated Baltimore Colts in 1953, and then the new "big league" Orioles, when the St. Louis Browns transferred to the city in 1954.
After operating for nearly four decades at Memorial Stadium, in 1992 the club moved downtown to a new baseball-only facility which revived the traditional local ballpark name as Oriole Park at Camden Yards.
| Home of the
1901 – 1902
| Home of the
1914 – 1915
| Home of the
Baltimore Orioles (minor league)
The 1901 Baltimore Orioles season finished with the Orioles in 5th in the American League with a record of 68–65. The team was managed by John McGraw and played at Oriole Park.1902 Baltimore Orioles season
The 1902 Baltimore Orioles season finished with the Orioles in 8th in the American League (AL) with a record of 50–88. The team was managed by John McGraw and Wilbert Robinson. The team played at Oriole Park in Baltimore, Maryland.
During the season, Andrew Freedman, principal owner of the National League's (NL) New York Giants, with the financial backing of John T. Brush, principal owner of the NL's Cincinnati Reds, purchased the Orioles from John Mahon, who was deeply in debt. They raided the Orioles roster, releasing several of Baltimore's better players so that they could sign them to the Giants and Reds. AL president Ban Johnson seized control of the Orioles the next day and restocked their roster with players received on loan from other AL teams.
The Orioles' second season in Baltimore would ultimately prove to be their last, as the team was moved to New York after the season, where they became known as the New York Highlanders.1958 Major League Baseball All-Star Game
The 1958 Major League Baseball All-Star Game was the 25th playing of the midsummer classic between the all-stars of the American League (AL) and National League (NL), the two leagues comprising Major League Baseball. The game was held on July 8, 1958, at Memorial Stadium in Baltimore, Maryland, the home of the Baltimore Orioles of the American League.
This was the first Major League Baseball All-Star Game without an extra base hit.For this Diamond Jubilee game, the ceremonial first pitch was thrown by U.S. Vice President Richard Nixon, who became President 10 years later. The attendance was 48,829. The game was broadcast on the NBC television and radio networks.
The first hit of the game was by legendary center fielder Willie Mays. The last scoring came in the sixth inning when the American League team took the lead after an error by third baseman Frank Thomas led to a single by Gil McDougald. Early Wynn was the winning pitcher as the American League scored a 4-3 victory.
Several players were named to the team but did not get into the game. These included Billy Pierce, Tony Kubek, Harvey Kuenn, Sherm Lollar, Rocky Bridges, Ryne Duren, Whitey Ford, and Elston Howard for the American League. For the National League team, Johnny Antonelli, Richie Ashburn, George Crowe, Eddie Mathews, Don McMahon, Walt Moryn, Johnny Podres, Bob Purkey, and Bob Schmidt were on the roster but did not play.
The next All-Star Game to be played in Baltimore was in 1993; that edition was aired on both CBS TV and radio, and played in Oriole Park at Camden Yards, with a special commemoration of this game's 35th anniversary.1992 Baltimore Orioles season
The 1992 Baltimore Orioles season was a season in American baseball. It involved the Orioles finishing third in the American League East with a record of 89 wins and 73 losses.
Having played almost 40 years at Memorial Stadium, the 1992 campaign was the inaugural season for the Orioles' new ballpark, Oriole Park at Camden Yards, where they play to this day.1993 Major League Baseball All-Star Game
The 1993 Major League Baseball All-Star Game was the 64th playing of the midsummer classic between the all-stars of the American League (AL) and National League (NL), the two leagues comprising Major League Baseball. The game was held on July 13, 1993, at Oriole Park at Camden Yards in Baltimore, Maryland, the home of the Baltimore Orioles of the American League. The game resulted in the American League defeating the National League 9-3.
This is also the last Major League Baseball All-Star Game to date to be televised by CBS.1996 American League Championship Series
The 1996 American League Championship Series (ALCS), the second round of the 1996 American League playoffs, matched the East Division champion New York Yankees against the Wild Card team, the Baltimore Orioles. The Yankees had the home field advantage in the series because they had won their division and the Orioles were the Wild Card team.1997 American League Championship Series
The 1997 American League Championship Series (ALCS) pitted the Cleveland Indians, who won coming back against the defending World Series champion New York Yankees in the AL Division Series, and the Baltimore Orioles, who went wire-to-wire and beat the Seattle Mariners in the Division Series. The Indians stunned the Orioles, winning on bizarre plays or remarkable comebacks, and won the Series four games to two, but went on to lose to the Florida Marlins in the well-fought, seesaw, seven-game battle of the 1997 World Series. The Orioles had home field advantage, which was predetermined and assigned to either the East Division champions or their opponents in the Division Series.Abell, Baltimore
Abell is a neighborhood located in the north-central area of Baltimore, Maryland, United States. It is considered to be part of Charles Village, Baltimore.Avenue station
Avenue is an underground light rail transit (LRT) station under construction on Line 5 Eglinton, a new line that is part of the Toronto subway system. The station will be located in North Toronto on Eglinton Avenue between Avenue Road and Highbourne Road. Destinations include the Chaplin Estates neighbourhood, Marshall McLuhan Catholic Secondary School, the Eglinton Theatre, and Eglinton Park. The station is scheduled to open in 2021.
The main entrance to this underground station will be located on the northwest corner of Eglinton and Avenue Road, replacing a convenience store. A second entrance, about 80m east on the north side of Eglinton, will replace two storefronts. Retail spaces will be available at both entrances at street level. The station will have on-street connections to TTC buses and outdoor parking for 50 bicycles.Avenue station will be one of four underground stations to be "mined" (built using the sequential excavation method), rather than being built by cut and cover like the other underground stations. At Avenue station, there will be a third track between the eastbound and westbound tracks either to store a train or to allow a train to change direction due to an emergency or a change in service.In a report to the TTC Board on November 23, 2015, it was recommended that stations on Line 5 Eglinton should be given unique names. Metrolinx initially proposed that the station be named "Avenue", for Avenue Road. Later, Metrolinx changed the proposed name to "Oriole Park". However, by January 2016, the proposed station name was changed back to "Avenue" because "Oriole Park" was too similar to the name of another transit station within Toronto, namely Oriole GO Station on GO Transit's Richmond Hill line.Baltimore Orioles Hall of Fame
The following is a list of all members of the Baltimore Orioles' Hall of Fame, representing the most significant contributors to the history of the Baltimore Orioles professional baseball team. The hall of fame is on display at Oriole Park at Camden Yards in Baltimore, Maryland.List of Baltimore Orioles (19th century) Opening Day starting pitchers
The Baltimore Orioles were a Major League Baseball team that was based in Baltimore, Maryland and played from 1882 through 1899. They played in the American Association from 1882 through 1891 and in the National League from 1892 through 1899. The Orioles used 10 Opening Day starting pitchers in their 18 years as a Major League Baseball franchise. The first game of the new baseball season for a team is played on Opening Day, and being named the Opening Day starter is an honor, which is often given to the player who is expected to lead the pitching staff that season, though there are various strategic reasons why a team's best pitcher might not start on Opening Day. The Orioles had a record of 10 wins and 8 losses in their Opening Day games.
The first game in Orioles' history was played on May 2, 1882 against the Philadelphia Athletics at Oakdale Park in Philadelphia. Tricky Nichols was the Orioles' Opening Day starting pitcher for that game, which the Orioles lost by a score of 10–7. The team's first game as a member of the National League was played on April 12, 1892 against the Brooklyn Bridegrooms at Union Park in Baltimore. Sadie McMahon was the Orioles' Opening Day starting pitcher in a game the Orioles lost be a score of 13–3. The last Opening Day game in Orioles' history was played on April 15, 1899 against the New York Giants at Union Park. Frank Kitson was the Orioles' Opening Day starting pitcher and the Orioles won by a score of 5–3.Three pitchers made multiple Opening Day starts for the Orioles. McMahon made the most Opening Day starts for the team, five, including four consecutive Opening Day starts from 1891 through 1894. Matt Kilroy was the Orioles' Opening Day starting pitcher four times, every year from 1886 to 1889. Hardie Henderson made two Opening Day starts for the Orioles, in 1884 and 1885.The Orioles won the National League championship three times, in 1894, 1895 and 1896. McMahon was the Orioles' Opening Day starting pitcher in two of those championship seasons, in 1894 and 1896. Duke Esper was the Orioles' Opening Day starting pitcher in 1895.List of baseball parks in Baltimore
This is a list of venues used for professional baseball in Baltimore, Maryland. The information is a synthesis of the information contained in the references listed.
Madison Avenue Grounds later Monumental Park
Occupant: non-league clubs prior to 1873; Maryland – NA (1873); Baltimore – Union Association (1884 - 1 game); Baltimore Eastern League (1884 - partial season)
Location: Madison Avenue (southwest, home base); Boundary Avenue (later North Avenue) (north, beyond third base / left field); Linden Avenue (northeast, center field); old road approximating Robert Street (southeast, right field)
Currently: Residential, churchesNewington Park
Occupants: Lord Baltimore – National Association (1872–1874); Baltimore Orioles – American Association (1882)
Location: Pennsylvania Avenue (northeast); Gold Street (southeast); Calhoun Street (southwest); Baker Street (northwest) – a few blocks west-southwest of the Madison Street ballpark – diamond position unknown
Currently: Residential, school, churchOriole Park (I)
Occupant: Baltimore Orioles AA (1883–1888)
Location: Sixth Street / Huntingdon Avenue (later 25th Street) (north, right field); York Road (later Greenmount Avenue) (east, first base); Barclay Street (west, right field); eventual 24th Street (south, left field)
Currently: Residential, commercialBelair Lot
Occupant: Baltimore UA (1884)
Location - adjacent to Belair Market - contradictory details from two sources:Forrest Street (northeast); Low Street (southeast); Orleans Street (south); Gay Street (northwest)
Forrest Street (northeast); Low Street (northwest); Orleans Street end (east); East Street (southwest)Currently: Commercial buildings, vacant lotsOriole Park (II)
Occupant: Baltimore Orioles – AA (1889-mid-1891)
Location: 10th Street (later 29th) (north, home plate); York Road (later Greenmount) (east, third base, left field); future 9th Street (later 28th) (south, center field); future Barclay Street (west, first base, right field) – three blocks north of previous site
Currently: Residential, commercialUnion Park a.k.a. Oriole Park (III)
Occupant: Baltimore Orioles AA (mid-1891) and NL (1892–1899)
Location: 25th Street (north, home plate / third base); Barclay Street (east, left field); approximate line of Hunter Street (west, first base); approximate line of 23rd Street (south, right field) – just west of 1883–1889 site
Currently: Residential, commercialOriole Park (IV)
Occupants: Baltimore Orioles – American League (1901–1902); Baltimore Orioles – Eastern/International League (1903–1914)
Location: Same as 1890–1891 site – 10th Street (later 29th) (north, home plate); York Road (later Greenmount) (east, third base); 9th Street (later 28th) (south, center field); Barclay (west, first base)
Currently: Residential, commercialTerrapin Park / Oriole Park V
Occupants: Baltimore Terrapins – Federal League (1914–1915); Baltimore Orioles – IL (1916-mid-1944)
Location: 10th Street (later 29th) (south, first base); York Road (later Greenmount) (east, right field); 11th Street (later 30th) (north, left field); Vineyard Lane (originally Gilmore Lane) (northwest, third base) – just across the street to the north from previous Oriole Park; Barclay now cuts through the property.
Currently: Commercial businessesBugle Field
Occupants: Baltimore Black Sox – Negro Leagues (1932–1934); Baltimore Elite Giants – Negro Leagues (1938–1949)
Location: Federal Street (south, first base); 1601 Edison Highway (west, third base); railroad tracks (northeast, outfield)
Currently: Rockland Industries plantMemorial Stadium
Occupants: Baltimore Orioles – IL (mid-1944–1953); Baltimore Orioles – American League (1954–1991); Bowie Baysox, Eastern League (1993)
Location: 33rd Street (south, home plate); Ellerslie Avenue (west, third base); 36th Street (north, center field); Ednor Road (east, first base)
Currently: Public park amidst commercial and residential development.Oriole Park at Camden Yards
Occupant: Baltimore Orioles – AL (1992–present)
Location: 333 West Camden Street – Camden Street (north, left field); Eutaw Street (east, right field); Briscoe and Houser Streets (south, first base); Conway Street (west, third base)List of current Major League Baseball stadiums
The following is a list of Major League Baseball stadiums, their locations, their first year of usage and home teams.
The newest Major League Baseball (MLB) ballpark is SunTrust Park in Cumberland, Georgia, home of the Atlanta Braves, which opened for the 2017 season. Fenway Park in Boston, home of the Boston Red Sox, is the oldest, having opened in 1912.
Nine MLB stadiums do not have corporate naming rights deals: Angel Stadium, Dodger Stadium, Fenway Park, Kauffman Stadium, Marlins Park, Nationals Park, Oriole Park at Camden Yards, Wrigley Field, and Yankee Stadium.Norwood Park, Chicago
Norwood Park is one of the 77 Chicago community areas. It encompasses the smaller neighborhoods of Big Oaks, Norwood Park East, Norwood Park West, Old Norwood Park, Oriole Park, and Union Ridge.
The community area contains the oldest extant building in Chicago, the Noble–Seymour–Crippen House, built in 1833 and greatly expanded in 1868. Organized in 1873 as a township from the adjacent townships of Jefferson, Leyden, Niles, and Maine, and named after Henry Ward Beecher's 1868 novel Norwood, or Village Life in New England (With the "Park" added to account for another post office in Illinois with the Norwood name), Norwood Park was incorporated as a village in 1874 and annexed to Chicago on November 7, 1893.Every Memorial Day since 1922 there has been a parade that runs through Norwood Park. William Howard Taft High School, best known as the inspiration for the musical Grease, was completed in 1939 with major additions made in 1959 and 1974.Oriole Park (Sydney)
Oriole Park is the home of the Auburn Baseball Club in New South Wales, Australia. It was extended and had lighting added prior to hosting the 1980 Claxton Shield and also held The 1988 Baseball World Cup 18U.Oriole Park (V)
Oriole Park (V) is the name used by baseball historians to designate the longest-lasting of several former major league and minor league baseball parks in Baltimore, Maryland, each one named Oriole Park.Oriole Park at Camden Yards
Oriole Park at Camden Yards (occasionally abbreviated in print and online as OPACY) is a Major League Baseball (MLB) ballpark located in Baltimore, Maryland. Home to the Baltimore Orioles, it is the first of the "retro" major league ballparks constructed during the 1990s and early 2000s. It was completed in 1992 to replace Memorial Stadium.
The park is situated in downtown Baltimore, a few blocks west of Inner Harbor in the Camden Yards Sports Complex. The Orioles celebrated the ballpark's 20th anniversary during the 2012 season and launched the website CamdenYards20.com as part of the celebration. Historically, Oriole Park at Camden Yards is one of several venues that have carried the "Oriole Park" name for various Baltimore franchises over the years.Red Deer Transit
The Red Deer Transit Department is part of the Community Services Division of the City of Red Deer, which lies midway between Calgary and Edmonton in the province of Alberta, Canada. The city took over operation of the public transit system from private operators in 1966. In 2009 transit service was extended to Springbrook and Gasoline Alley in Red Deer County.Ridgely's Delight, Baltimore
Ridgely's Delight is an historic residential neighborhood in Baltimore, Maryland, United States. Its borders are formed by Russell and Greene Streets to the east, West Pratt Street to the north, and Martin Luther King Jr. Boulevard from the western to southern tips. It is adjacent to the University of Maryland, Baltimore, Oriole Park at Camden Yards, and M&T Bank Stadium. It is situated a short walk from MARC Train and the Light Rail's Camden Station, which has made it a popular residence of Washington, D.C. and suburban Baltimore commuters. It is within a 5-minute walk of both Oriole Park at Camden Yards and M&T Bank Stadium and a 10-minute walk from Baltimore's historic Inner Harbor.
In 1792, James McHenry purchased a 95-acre (38 ha) tract from Ridgely's Delight and named it Fayetteville in honor of his friend Lafayette.With its name derived from Charles Ridgely II's plantation Ridgely's Whim, Ridgely's Delight was originally inhabited by craftspeople but later became home to affluent professionals who used their resources to make the rowhouses more ornate.
Ridgely's Delight is the birthplace of Babe Ruth and home to the Babe Ruth Birthplace Museum on Emory Street. Several bars and shops are located in the neighborhood, most popularly Quigley's Half-Irish Pub, Camden Pub, Corner Bistro & Wine Bar, and Peace and a Cup of Joe.
|National League Pennants|
|Division titles (17)|
|Wild Card titles (7)|
Book:New York Yankees Category:New York Yankees Portal:New York Yankees
|Division championships (10)|
|Wild card berths (7)|
|Major League Baseball|
|National League (19th century)|
|Minor league parks|