The Order of the Visitation of Holy Mary ( V.H.M., Latin: Ordo Visitationis Beatissimae Mariae Virginis) or the Visitation Order is an enclosed Roman Catholic religious order for women. Members of the order are also known as the Salesian Sisters (not to be confused with the Salesian Sisters of Don Bosco) or, more commonly, as the Visitandines or Visitation Sisters.
In 1905 a group of the sisters from St. Louis came to Springfield, Missouri, to start St. de Chantal Academy, a boarding school for girls, at the Elfindale Mansion. They stayed until 1980 when they moved to the Pacific Northwest taking their buried sisters with them.
|Order of the Visitation of Holy Mary|
Ordo Visitationis Beatissimae Mariae Virginis
|Founder||Saint Francis de Sales and Saint Jane Frances de Chantal|
|Type||Roman Catholic religious order|
The Order of the Visitation was founded in 1610 by Saint Francis de Sales and Saint Jane Frances de Chantal in Annecy, Haute-Savoie, France. At first the founder had not a religious order in mind; he wished to form a congregation without external vows, where the cloister should be observed only during the year of novitiate, after which the sisters should be free to go out by turns to visit the sick and poor. The order was given the name of The Visitation of Holy Mary with the intention that the sisters would follow the example of Virgin Mary and her joyful visit to her kinswoman Elizabeth, (known as "The Visitation" in the Roman Catholic Church).
He invited Jane de Chantal to join him in establishing a new type of religious life, one open to older women and those of delicate constitution, that would stress the hidden, inner virtues of humility, obedience, poverty, even-tempered charity, and patience, and founded on the example of Mary in her journey of mercy to her cousin Elizabeth. The order was established to welcome those not able to practice austerities required in other orders. Instead of chanting the canonical office in the middle of the night the sisters recited the Little Office of the Blessed Virgin at half-past eight in the evening. There was no perpetual abstinence nor prolonged fast. The Order of the Visitation of Mary was canonically erected in 1618 by Paul V who granted it all the privileges enjoyed by the other orders. A Bull of Urban VIII solemnly approved it in 1626.
A foundation was established in Lyons in 1615 followed by Moulines (1616), Grenoble (1618), Bourges (1618), and Paris (1619). When Saint Francis de Sales died (1622) there were 13 convents established; at the death of Saint Jane Frances de Chantal in 1641 there were 86. The Order spread from France throughout Europe and to North America. As of 2017, there are about 160 autonomous Visitation monasteries throughout the world.
The Order of the Visitation has been present in Portugal since 1784, maintaining today three monasteries: in Braga, in Vila das Aves and in Batalha. The Sisters of the Visitation in Portugal produce and distribute the emblems of the Sacred Heart of Jesus (like devotional scapulars) as Saint Margaret Mary Alacoque did in the past.
At the French Revolution in 1789 when all the religious houses were suppressed many of the French Sisters took refuge in other Catholic countries. The sisters in Rouen, northern France, fled to Portuguese monasteries, having only escaped the guillotine by the death of Robespierre in 1794. In 1803 six sisters left Lisbon in an English packet ship and while at sea they were attacked by French pirates. They were spared because of their nationality (they were French not English) and were returned safely to the Spanish seaport of Vigo. After a brief sojourn in Spain three of the Sisters made a second attempt to cross from Porto and without further encounters with pirates arrived in Falmouth on 29 January 1804. They later journeyed to Acton and founded the first monastery of the Visitation on English soil on 19 March 1804.
In 1835, the Order of the Visitation of Holy Mary of Dietramszell acquired Beuerberg Abbey (Kloster Beuerberg), in Eurasburg, Germany. Between 1846 and 1938 they ran a girls' school and a home for nursing mothers at Beuerberg Abbey, and afterwards an old people's convalescent home. The abbey still belongs to the Order of the Visitation of Holy Mary.
The Visitation Sisters came to Ireland in 1955 and founded a Monastery at Stamullen, Co. Meath. When Mother Mary Teresa O’ Dwyer, Superior of the Visitation Monastery of Roseland, England learned that the Brothers of St. John of God were moving out of Silverstream, she applied to the Bishop of Meath, Dr. Kyne for permission for the order of the Visitation to enter his diocese. Staffing problems were solved by borrowing three Sisters from America. The Visitation Monasteries of St. Paul Minnesota, Brooklyn New York and Atlanta Georgia each lent a Sister.
In the United States there are 10 monasteries in two federations.The monasteries of the First Federation live the purely contemplative life, observing papal enclosure, with solemn vows, and have retained the traditional habit of the Order. Of the ten monasteries of the Visitation in the United States, six belong to the First Federation,
Sisters of the Second Federation add apostolic monasteries to their contemplative life.
The Mount de Chantal Visitation Academy was founded in 1848 as the Wheeling Female Academy in downtown Wheeling, West Virginia and in 1865 assumed its current name. While grades five through twelve were all female, Mount de Chantal's Montessori and Elementary schools were co-ed. The school ceased operations on May 31, 2008, and the nuns re-located to the Georgetown Visitation in Washington, D.C. The building was listed on the National Register of Historic Places in 1978, before being razed on November 7, 2011.
The best known saint of the Order is St. Margaret Mary Alacoque, who reportedly received the revelations of the Sacred Heart resulting in the First Friday Devotions and Holy Hours. On May 10, 1998, seven Visitandines of the First Monastery of Madrid, Spain, martyred during the Spanish Revolution of 1936, were beatified in Rome by Pope John Paul II.
The nuns were members of the Madrid House of the Order of the Visitation. In early 1936, during the Spanish Civil War, as religious persecution intensified, most of the community moved to Oronoz, leaving a group of six nuns in the charge of Sr Maria Gabriela de Hinojosa. By July they were confined to their apartment, When a neighbour reported them to the authorities, and in November 1936 their apartment searched. Nevertheless, they refused to seek refuge in the consulates.
The following evening, a patrol of the Iberian Anarchist Federation broke into the apartment and ordered all the sisters to leave. They were taken by van to a vacant area and shot. Sr Maria Cecilia, who had run when she felt the sister next to her fall, surrendered shortly after and was shot five days later at the cemetery wall in Vallecas on the outskirts of Madrid.
In 2010, in honor of the worldwide Jubilee Year for the Visitation order, Pope Benedict XVI granted a plenary indulgence to those who would make a visit to and pray in a Visitation monastery.
Léonie Martin, the sister of Saint Thérèse of the Child Jesus and the Holy Face, became a nun of the Order of the Visitation. She received the veil on the 2nd of July 1900 and took the name Sister Françoise-Thérèse Martin. On the 24 January 2015 the process for Leonie's beatification began and she is now known as Servant of God.
The Château de Sales is a ruined castle in the commune of Thorens-Glières in the Haute-Savoie département of France. It is often confused with the nearby Château de Thorens.Claudine Françoise Mignot
Claudine Françoise Mignot (commonly called Marie; 20 January 1624 – 30 November 1711) was a French adventuress born near Grenoble, at Meylan.
At the age of sixteen she attracted the notice of the secretary of Pierre des Portes d'Amblerieux, treasurer of the province of Dauphiné, and Amblerieux promised to promote their marriage. Instead, he married her himself on 29 July 1640 and left her his fortune.
His will was disputed by his family, and Claudine went to Paris in 1653 to secure its fulfilment. She sought the protection of François de l'Hôpital, marshal of France, then a man of seventy-five. He married her on 25 August 1653, within a week of their first meeting, and after seven years of marriage died on 20 April 1660 leaving her part of his estate. They had one son (c. 1654 – c. 1657).
By a third and morganatic marriage on 14 September 1672 with John Casimir, former king of Poland, a few weeks before his sudden death, she received a third, enormous fortune. In the testament, written on 12 December 1672 in Nevers, John Casimir called himself her debtor. Immediately on her marriage with Amblerieux she had begun to educate herself, and her wealth and talents assured her a welcome in Paris. They had one daughter Marie Catherine (1670 - after 1672), to whom her father left fifteen thousand livres, and asked her to join the Order of the Visitation of Holy Mary.She retired in her old age to a Carmelite convent in the city, where she died on 30 November 1711. Her history, very much modified, was the subject of a play by Bayard and Paul Duport, Marie Mignot (1829).Convent and Academy of the Visitation
This article is about an establishment in Alabama. For the location in Washington, D.C., see Georgetown Visitation Monastery.The Convent and Academy of the Visitation, properly known today as the Visitation Monastery, is a historic complex of Roman Catholic religious buildings and a small cemetery in Mobile, Alabama, United States. The buildings and grounds were documented by the Historic American Buildings Survey in 1937. They were added to the National Register of Historic Places on April 24, 1992 as a part of Historic Roman Catholic Properties in Mobile Multiple Property Submission. It, along with the Convent of Mercy, is one of two surviving historic convent complexes in Mobile.Convent of the Salesas Reales
The Convent of the Salesas Reales is an 18th-century architectural complex in central Madrid, Spain. Formerly a convent, specifically the convent of the Visitación de Nuestra Señora (Visitation of Our Lady), it was constructed and occupied by the Order of the Visitation of Holy Mary, which had been founded by St. Francis de Sales and St Jeanne de Chantal. The convent's church (dedicated to St Barbara) is now a parish church, and the remainder of the complex houses the Supreme Court of Spain.Denis-Simon de Marquemont
Denis-Simon de Marquemont (30 September 1572 – 16 September 1626) was a French cleric who became Archbishop of Lyon in 1612.Georgetown Visitation Preparatory School
Georgetown Visitation Preparatory School is a private Roman Catholic college-preparatory school for girls located in the historic Washington, D.C. neighborhood of Georgetown. Founded in 1799 by the Order of the Visitation of Holy Mary (also known as the Visitation Sisters), it is one of the oldest continuously-operating school for girls in the country and the city as well as the oldest Catholic school for girls in the original Thirteen Colonies. It is located within the Archdiocese of Washington.Holy Union Sisters
The Sisters of the Holy Union of the Sacred Hearts are a religious congregation of the Roman Catholic Church founded at Douai, France, in 1828, by Father Jean Baptiste Debrabant (1801 - 1889).The congregation was approved by the Holy See in 1877.
Its rules are taken principally from those of the Order of the Visitation of Holy Mary, founded by Francis of Sales.
The Holy Union Sisters devote themselves to the education of youth.Jane Frances de Chantal
Saint Jane Frances de Chantal (Jeanne-Françoise Frémiot, Baronne de Chantal) (28 January 1572 – 13 December 1641) is a Roman Catholic saint, who was beatified in 1751 and canonized in 1767. She founded the religious Order of the Visitation of Holy Mary.Les Subsistances
Les Subsistances is a cultural centre of diffuse artistic production and located in the 1st arrondissement of Lyon. Since 2007, it has housed a creative laboratory (theater, dance and contemporary circus) and the École nationale des beaux-arts de Lyon. The site has 22,500 square metres of buildings (including 8,300 square meters of renovated surface) and 16,000 square meters of land, and is partly classified as monument historique. The director of Les Subsistances is Guy Walter, and the vice director is Cathy Bouvard.List of schools in the Roman Catholic Archdiocese of Baltimore
This article contains a list of the schools, colleges, and universities in the Roman Catholic Archdiocese of Baltimore.Louise de La Fayette
Louise Angélique Motier de la Fayette (8 November 1618 – 11 January 1665) was a French courtier and close friend and confidant of King Louis XIII. She later left the court and entered a convent. She was known for her influence upon the monarch both before and after she left the court.Marie Catherine Vasa
Marie Catherine (1670 – after 12 December 1672) was the legitimated daughter of ex-King John II Casimir of Poland with his mistress and morganatic wife Claudine Françoise Mignot.
On 12 December 1672 her father gave her 15000 livres. When she grew up she went to the Order of the Visitation of Holy Mary. She was born and died in France.Marie de Sales Chappuis
Venerable Marie de Sales Chappuis (16 June 1793 in Soyhières, Canton of Jura, Switzerland – 7 October 1875 in Troyes, Aube, France) was a Roman Catholic nun and a spiritual leader in the Order of the Visitation of Holy Mary. She also co-founded the congregation of the Oblates of St. Francis de Sales along with Blessed Father Louis Brisson.Salesian Sisters
The title Salesian Sisters may refer to one of these Roman Catholic orders for women:
Salesian Sisters of Don Bosco, also known as Daughters of Mary Help of Christians, founded in 1872
Order of the Visitation of Holy Mary, also known as Visitationists, founded by in 1610 by Saint Francis de Sales and Saint Jane Frances de ChantalSan Salvatore a Camaldoli
San Salvatore a Camaldoli is a Renaissance-style, former Roman Catholic church and convent located in front of Piazza Tasso, in the quartiere of Oltrarno, Florence, region of Tuscany, Italy.Santa Bárbara, Madrid
The Santa Barbara, also known as Church of the Monastery of the Salesas Reales is a Catholic church, built in Neoclassic style, in central Madrid, Spain. It is one of a number of Spanish churches dedicated to St Barbara.Santa Chiara, Treia
Santa Chiara is a Baroque-style, Roman Catholic church located on Piazza Cervigni in the town of Treia, province of Macerata, region of Marche, Italy.Temple du Marais
The Temple du Marais, sometimes known as the Temple Sainte-Marie, or historically, as the Church of Sainte Marie de la Visitation, is a Protestant church located in the 4th arrondissement of Paris, in the district of Le Marais at 17 Rue Saint-Antoine. It was originally built as a Roman Catholic convent by the Order of the Visitation of Holy Mary, whose sisters were commonly called the Visitandines. The church was closed in the French Revolution and later given to a Protestant congregation which continues its ministry to the present. The closest métro station is BastilleVisitation Academy of St. Louis
Visitation Academy of St. Louis is a private, all-girls, Roman Catholic school in St. Louis, Missouri, in the Archdiocese of Saint Louis. It is a work of the Visitation Sisters who founded it in 1833.
of the faithful