The Congregation of the Oratory of Saint Philip Neri is a pontifical society of apostolic life of Catholic priests and lay-brothers who live together in a community bound together by no formal vows but only with the bond of charity. They are commonly referred to as Oratorians (Oratorian Fathers). This "Congregation of the Oratory" should not be confused with the French Oratory, a distinct congregation, the Society of the Oratory of Jesus (Société de l'Oratoire de Jésus), founded by Pierre de Bérulle in 1611 in Paris.
Founded in Rome (then capital of the Papal States) in 1575 by St. Philip Neri, today it has spread around the world, with over 70 Oratories and some 500 priests. The post-nominal initials commonly used to identify members of the society are "C.O." (Congregatio Oratorii). The abbreviation "Cong. Orat." is also used.
Unlike a religious institute (the members of which take vows and are answerable to a central authority) or a monastery (the monks of which are likewise bound by vows in a community that may itself be autonomous and answerable directly to the Pope), the Oratorians are made up of members who commit themselves to membership in a particular, independent, self-governing local community (an Oratory, usually named for the place in which it is located: e.g., Birmingham Oratory, Oxford Oratory, Brooklyn Oratory) without actually taking vows, an unusual and innovative arrangement created by St. Philip. Normally an oratory must have a minimum of four members, two being ordained, in order to be founded. If a group of men seeks to establish an oratory, they may apply to do so, going through the proper diocesan channels; during the process of formation a member (or members) of a well-established oratory resides in the community to facilitate every aspect of the proposed foundation.
|Congregation of the Oratory of Saint Philip Neri|
Emblem of the Congregation of the Oratory of Saint Philip Neri
|Abbreviation||C.O., Cong. Orat.|
|Type||Society of Apostolic Life of Pontifical Right (for Men)|
|Headquarters||Via di Parione 33, 00186 Roma, Italy|
|542 members (430 priests) (2016)|
The Congregation of the Oratory was founded by St. Philip Neri (1515–1595) in the city of Rome. The first Oratory received papal recognition in 1575. The new community was to be a congregation of secular priests living under obedience but bound by no vows. Speaking of Neri, whom he called, "the saint of joy", Pope John Paul II said, "As is well known, the saint used to put his teaching into short and wise maxims: 'Be good, if you can'... .He did not choose the life of solitude; but, in exercising his ministry among the common people, he also wished to be "salt" for all those who met him. Like Jesus, he was equally able to enter into the human misery present in the noble palaces and in the alleys of Renaissance Rome."
The core of St. Philip's spirituality focused on an unpretentious return to the lifestyle of the first Disciples of Christ. The object of the institute is threefold: prayer, preaching, and the sacraments.
Up to 1800 the Oratory continued to spread through Italy, Sicily, Spain, Portugal, Poland, and other European countries; in South America, Brazil, India, and Ceylon. Under Napoleon I the Oratory was in various places despoiled and suppressed, but the congregation recovered and, after a second suppression in 1869, again revived. A few houses were founded in Munich and Vienna.
There are eighty six Congregations of the Oratory throughout the world. Each Community is autonomous, but there is a Confederation which facilitates contact with the Holy See. As such, the Congregation of the Oratory functions more like a monastic federation than like a religious institute.
Three documents govern the Oratory. The first is the "General Statutes" of the Congregation, which are guidelines to be followed throughout the world; these may be changed or modified when representatives from each Oratory gather every six years in a meeting called a "Congresso Generale". The second is the "Particular Statutes", which outline how an individual Oratory is to be conducted; these must be approved by Rome. The third document is the "Constitutions", which establish general norms, and outline the relationship between the Congregation and the Holy See. As the Oratory is a confederation, there is no central authority such as is found within the Dominicans, Franciscans, or Jesuits. The definitive foundation of an Oratorian Congregation is actually done by the Roman Pontiff directly, which makes a Congregation what is called a "Pontifical Right" foundation.
The Confederation elects one of its own to represent the interests of the Congregations to the Holy See; this is done through the Congregation for Institutes of Consecrated Life and Societies of Apostolic Life. This person, known as Procurator General, resides in Rome at the Procura General.
Frederick William Faber described the Oratorian charism as "a spirituality of everyday life". The Oratory founded by St Philip Neri is a society of priests and brothers who live together under a Rule without taking religious vows. Hence, Oratorians are free to resign their membership in the Congregation without canonical impediment or ecclesiastical dispensation. An Oratorian resides in an Oratory community of his choosing and is permanently stable, i.e., he is not subject to transfer to other Oratories or communities. Oratorians have what is called 'stability,' which means they are committed as members of the community of a particular Oratory, though a member may move if there is a serious enough reason.
As there is no vow of poverty, Oratorians may keep their possessions, and those who can afford to do so are expected to contribute to the support of the house. It is possible for an ordained secular priest to join the Community if he feels called to a more recollected life in community than is possible in a diocesan presbytery, however the Constitutions do not permit anyone who has been a solemnly professed religious to join the Congregation. Neither is it customary to admit anyone over the age of forty five.
Unlike the members of some religious institutes, Oratorians are not bound by a rule to pray in common, though this is something that Oratorians consider important, and they commit themselves to praying together at least twice each day, and having one communal meal which is usually dinner. Oratorians normally have a set time each day for praying together in silent meditation; this ends classically with the recitation of a litany.
Although some oratories may have a dominant mission (e.g. the London Oratory, which maintains a school), in general the members of the Oratory spend the day involved in various ministries: teaching, parish work, spiritual direction, campus ministry, hospital chaplaincies, administration or maintaining the fabric of the community house. Some oratories are specifically connected with parishes and thus its members serve as clergy of the parish.
As Oratorians are secular clergy, they wear roughly the same dress as parish priests. However, the black cassock is worn with a distinctive Oratorian clerical collar: white cloth that folds over the collar all around the neck, with a number of folds in, indicating from which particular oratory a priest originates. The cassock is bound by a sash, called a fascia. The habit is given at formal reception into the community which comes after a few months of living together to see if the candidate fits in well. Members often, but do not necessarily, wear the cassock whilst engaged in their respective ministries, as this may be deemed unsuitable. On such occasions, members of the Oratory would wear the normal street clothes of a cleric, i.e., dark suit, but with the Oratorian collar. In some countries (such as Spain) the distinctive Oratorian cassock and collar was never adopted and there is no way to tell Oratorians from other secular priests.
As of 2014, the website of the oratory's "headquarters" in Rome lists the following as some of the numerous congregations throughout the world:
There are oratories in: Vienna, Austria; Dijon, Hyères, and Nancy, France; Acireale, Biella, Bologna, Brescia, Florence, Genoa, Naples, Palermo, Rome, Verona, Prato and Vicenza, Italy; Germany (Aachen, Aufhausen, Dresden, Frankfurt am Main, Hannover, Heidelberg, Leipzig, Celle and Munich); Lithuania (Vilnius); Netherlands (Maastricht); Poland (Gostyń, Studzianna, Tarnów, Radom, Bytow, Tomaszów Mazowiecki and Poznań); Portugal (Convento e Palácio de Nossa Senhora das Necessidades, Lisboa);Spain (Barcelona, Seville, Porreras, Albacete, Vic, Alcalá de Henares, Getafe, Tudela, Soller and Palma) and Switzerland (Zurich). There are also Oratories in formation in Bratislava, Slovakia and Mikulov in the Czech Republic.
Cardinal John Henry Newman founded the first Oratory in the English-speaking world when he established the Birmingham Oratory in the city of Birmingham on 2 February 1848. This was initially located at Old Oscott, which Newman renamed Maryvale (after the Oratory church in Rome, Santa Maria in Vallicella). After a couple of moves this community eventually settled in Edgbaston. Attached to the Birmingham Oratory was the Oratory School now at Woodcote, Berkshire, near Reading.
In 1849 a second congregation was founded in King William Street, Strand, London, with Frederick William Faber as superior; in 1854 it was transferred to Brompton. Its church, the Church of the Immaculate Heart of Mary, was consecrated on 16 April 1884 and is the second largest Roman Catholic church in London.
Houses also exist in London (the London Oratory), to which is attached the London Oratory School in Fulham; Oxford (the Oxford Oratory); and Manchester (St Chad’s), a community "in formation". As of October 2013, the church of St Wilfrid's, York, has been turned over to the Oratorians on the retirement of the incumbent parish priest.
In Argentina: (Mercedes); Brazil: (São Paulo); Chile: (Villa Alemana); Colombia: (Bogotá, Ipiales and Pasto); Costa Rica: (San José); Mexico: (Guanajuato, Mexico City, Orizaba, Puebla, San Miguel de Allende, Tlalnepantla, Reynosa, Tamaulipas, La Paz, Leon, San Pablo Tepetlapa y Mérida.
As of 2012 there was an Oratory in Formation in Port Antonio, Jamaica (Archdiocese of Kingston). This community of priests had been constituted many years ago and upon completing the necessary requirements in the Archdiocese of Kingston in 2014 the community was erected as a Congregation of the Oratory of St. Philip Neri, the first in the history of the English speaking Caribbean.
The first Oratory in the United States was founded in Rock Hill, South Carolina, in 1934. The ministry of the Rock Hill Oratorians has long included campus ministry at Winthrop University and prison visitation at the Moss detention center in York County.
The Pittsburgh Oratory was founded in 1961 by Cardinal John Wright, then-Bishop of Pittsburgh, in order to have Oratorian Fathers serving as Chaplains at Carnegie Mellon University, Chatham University, and the University of Pittsburgh. The Pittsburgh Oratory's ministry has since expanded to adult ministry, confession ministry, and a ministry of Perpetual Eucharistic Adoration. The Pittsburgh Oratory maintains an 87-acre retreat house in the nearby Laurel Highlands, called "Rednal." The Pittsburgh Oratorians also control the National Institute for Newman Studies, which promotes study of the life and thought of Cardinal Newman, through a research library and financial support to visiting scholars interested in Newman.
The principal ministry of the Brooklyn Oratory, established in 1988, are the parishes of Saint Boniface, which it has cared for since 1990, and Assumption of the Blessed Virgin Mary in Brooklyn Heights which came under its pastoral care in 2016. In this year also, the Brooklyn Oratory began a pastoral outreach to students in the various secular colleges and universities in Downtown Brooklyn and Brooklyn Heights.  The New Brunswick Congregation was formally established by Pope John Paul II, on 8 September 1998. The members of the Congregation serve in Catholic campus ministry at Rutgers University, at St. Peter the Apostle Parish and at St. Joseph Parish, New Brunswick, New Jersey. The New York Oratory was founded on 28 June 2007, in Sparkill, New York.
On 26 May 1994 Cardinal Joseph Bernardin of the Archdiocese of Chicago decreed the formation of a diocesan right Oratory of St. Philip Neri which follow the Constitutions and General Statutes of the Congregration of the Oratory of St. Philip Neri. Its members continue in pastoral ministries.
On 1 August 2014, a Community in Formation of the Oratory was established at Star of the Sea Church in the Archdiocese of San Francisco, California. As of 30 August 2015, the project was abandoned.
In Washington, D.C., the Community of St. Philip Neri was established as a community-in-formation in July 2013 by canonical decree of the Archbishop of Washington, Donald Cardinal Wuerl. Washington's Oratorians are responsible for the administration of the parish of St. Thomas Apostle in Woodley Park. They oversee a chapter of the Little Oratory of St. Philip Neri, a group of Catholic laymen.
In the diocese of Kalamazoo, MI, Most Rev. Paul Bradley approved the establishment of a community in formation of the Oratory at St. Mary parish, Kalamazoo in September 2015. Here the liturgical apostolate of the parish follows the Ordinary and Extraordinary forms of the Roman Rite. Provisional plans have begun for the establishment of a classical school in the Oratorian tradition. 
In Red Bank, New Jersey, the Red Bank Oratory-in-Formation of St. Philip Neri was formally established by canonical decree of the Most Rev. David M. O'Connell, C.M. on 29 May 2016. The Red Bank Oratory-in-Formation was entrusted with the care of St. Anthony of Padua Church and has established a Secular Oratory and a Youth Oratory.
In 2017, Pope Francis issued a decree establishing the Congregation of the Oratory of St. Philip Neri in the Archdiocese of Cincinnati. The Oratory is based at Old St. Mary’s Church in the Over-the-Rhine neighborhood of Cincinnati.
A number of Oratories have associated with the congregation, a community of lay people called the Secular Oratory.
The first Oratory in South Africa was founded in Oudtshoorn in 1997. The Port Elizabeth Oratory celebrated its inaugural Mass on 15 August 2008.  In Bloemfontein, an Oratorian Community-in-formation has been resident since January 2015.
In 2011, work towards establishing the first Australian Congregation of the Oratory of St. Philip Neri was conceived. The community-in-formation was welcomed to Brisbane by Archbishop Mark Coleridge, and is supported by the Fathers of the London, Oxford and Toronto Oratories. The community currently has three priests: Father Adrian Sharp (Moderator), Father Andrew Wise, Father Scot Armstrong, and five seminarians: Brother Shawn Murphy, Brother Tyson King, Brother Conor Power, Brother Matthew Buckley and Brother John Henry Nguyen. The Brisbane Oratory in Formation is based at Mary Immaculate Church, Annerley, in the Annerley Ekibin parish.
Alessandro Vittrice (or Vittrici) was a Roman art collector. He was appointed bishop of Alatri in 1632 and governor of Rome in 1647.Alessandro was the son of Gerolamo Vittrici (died March 1612), sotoguardaroba to every pope since Gregory XIII. Gerolamo commissioned the Deposition of Christ from Caravaggio for his uncle's chapel (the Capella della Pietà) in Santa Maria in Vallicella (the Chiesa Nuova), a church built for the Oratory of Saint Philip Neri.Vittrice is also known to have been, in 1620, the owner of Caravaggio's The Fortune Teller, which he gifted to Pope Innocent X.Church of Saint Philip Neri (Barcelona)
The Church of Saint Philip Neri (Catalan: Església de Sant Felip Neri) is a baroque-style church located in the Plaça de Sant Felip Neri, in the Gothic quarter of Barcelona, Catalonia, Spain. It was built between 1721 and 1752. During the Spanish Civil War, on January 30, 1938, it was bombarded by Franco's air forces (the effects of the explosion can be seen on the facade). The church has a convent annex belonging to the Oratory of Saint Philip Neri.Filippo Pennino
Filippo Pennino, (1755-1801) was an Italian sculptor.
Pennino was born, lived and worked in Palermo. Most of what is known about his life is through his works. He carved the Fountain with Triton and Puttini at Villa Trabia in Bagheria and the Angel at the entrance to the local Oratory of Saint Philip Neri church. In 1763 he carved a tomb for the Church of St. James in Bivona. He also carved funerary monuments, among which one was dedicated to Mallia at the church Chiesa madre in Gela. One of his final works before he died was in the first bay Chapel of the Baptistery of the Palermo Cathedral where he sculpted an octagonal baptismal font in 1801 along with his son Gaetano Pennino, who Filippo trained to be a sculptor.Gostyń
Gostyń [ˈɡɔstɨɲ] (German: Gostyn, 1941-45: Gostingen) is a town in Greater Poland Voivodeship (from 1975 to 1998 in Leszno Voivodship), in Gostyń County. According to 30 June 2004 data its population was 20,746.
The total area of Gostyń is 10.79 square kilometres (4.17 sq mi). The town comprises 1% of the area of the county and 8% of the commune, according to Główny Urząd Statystyczny.
The main landmark of Gostyń is Basilica of Święta Góra (Holy Hill), the main Marian sanctuary of the archdiocese of Poznań and a masterpiece of Pompeo Ferrari, with the monastery of the Oratory of Saint Philip Neri.L'Oratoire du Louvre
The Temple Protestant de l'Oratoire du Louvre, also Eglise Réformée de l'Oratoire du Louvre, is a historic Protestant church located at 145 rue Saint-Honoré - 160 rue de Rivoli in the 1st arrondissement of Paris, across the street from the Louvre. It was founded in 1611 by Pierre de Bérulle as the French branch of the Oratory of Saint Philip Neri. It was made the royal chapel of the Louvre Palace by Louis XIII on December 23, 1623 and was host to the funerals of both Louis and Cardinal Richelieu. Work on the church was suspended in 1625 and not resumed until 1740, with the church completed in 1745.
It was suppressed in 1792 during the French Revolution, looted, stripped of its decor, and used to store theater sets. In 1811 it was given by Napoleon to the Protestant congregation of Saint-Louis-du-Louvre when that building was demolished to make way for the expansion of the Louvre. A statue and monument of Admiral Gaspard de Coligny, the great Huguenot leader of the 16th century, was built on the rue de Rivoli end of the church in 1889. It continues as one of the most prominent Reformed congregations in Paris, noted for its liberal theology. The closest métro station is Louvre – RivoliLondon Oratory School
The London Oratory School, commonly known as The Oratory or The London Oratory to distinguish it from other schools, is a Catholic day secondary school for boys aged 7–18 and girls aged 16–18 situated in Fulham, London. Founded in 1863 by The Fathers of The London Oratory in Chelsea, London, The London Oratory is historically linked to two fellow Oratorian institutions: the nearby Brompton Oratory and The Oratory School in Berkshire. The school is renowned for the quality of both its choral and its instrumental music. The London Oratory is one of England's oldest Catholic boys' schools.Nicholas Bourbon (the younger)
Nicolas Bourbon (1574, Vendeuvre-sur-Barse – 6 August 1644, Paris) was a French clergyman and neo-Latin poet. He wrote in Latin under the name of Nicolaus Borbonius, and under the pseudonyms Horatius Gentilis and Petrus Mola.
Son of a doctor, he studied under political satirist and poet Jean Passerat. Bourbon then held a professorship at the Collège de France and was admitted into the Oratory of Saint Philip Neri in 1630. He was elected the second occupant of Académie française seat 29 in 1637.Oratorian
An Oratorian is a member of one of the following religious orders:
Oratory of Saint Philip Neri (Roman Catholic), who use the postnominal letters C.O.
Oratory of Jesus (Roman Catholic)
Oratory of the Good Shepherd (Anglican)
Teologisk Oratorium (Lutheran)Oratorio de San Felipe de Neri, Toledo
The Oratory of Saint Philip Neri (Spanish: San Felipe de Neri) is a former church in Toledo (Castile-La Mancha, Spain). The building was used by the Congregation of the Oratory of Saint Philip Neri as an oratory (chapel). From 2013 it housed the Tolmo Museum, but as at 2018 it is reported to be closed.Oratorio dei Filippini
The Oratorio dei Filippini (Oratory of Saint Philip Neri) is a building located in Rome and erected between 1637 and 1650 under the supervision of architect Francesco Borromini. The oratory is adjacent to the Chiesa Nuova Santa Maria in Vallicella, the mother church of the congregation. In front of the two sides was a small closed square, now integrated in the Corso Vittorio Emanuele II.Oratory School
An Oratory School is primarily any of several schools founded or initially operated by the Oratorians (priests of the Oratory of Saint Philip Neri), a congregation of Catholic priests.
The term was also used early in the career of St. John Bosco, who went on to establish his followers as the Salesian priests and Brothers.Oratory of Jesus
The Congregation of the Oratory of Jesus and Mary Immaculate (French: Société de l'Oratoire de Jésus et de Marie Immaculée, Latin: Congregatio Oratorii Iesu et Mariæ), best known as the French Oratory, is a Roman Catholic Society of apostolic life of Catholic priests founded in 1611 in Paris, France, by Pierre de Bérulle (1575–1629), later a cardinal of the Catholic Church. They are known as Bérullians or Oratorians. The French Oratory had a determinant influence on the French school of spirituality throughout the 17th century. It is separate and distinct from the Oratory of Saint Philip Neri, which served as its inspiration.
The aim of the Society is to center spiritual life on the human aspect of Jesus, linked to the essence of God. Unlike the Italian Oratory, whose communities are all autonomous, the French Oratory operates under the central authority of a Superior General.Plaça de Sant Felip Neri
Plaça de Sant Felip Neri is a small square in the Gothic Quarter in the district of Ciutat Vella in Barcelona, Spain. The square takes its name from the Church of Saint Philip Neri, which presides over the square. To the right of the church is the School of Saint Felip Neri which uses the square as a playground. To the left of the church is a house used by the Oratory of Saint Philip Neri. In the centre of the square is an octagonal fountain, dedicated as a symbol of life. The architecture of the square and surrounding buildings is in the medieval Baroque-style.San Filippo Neri, Genoa
San Filippo Neri is a Baroque church on via Lomellini in central Genoa. The order of the Oratory of Saint Philip Neri had arrived in Genoa in 1643, under the sponsorship of the Oratorian and Marchese Camillo Pallavicini who was born in Genoa. Originally housed in the church of San Pancrazio, by 1674 the order began a move to this new site and built their church and chapter house on the site of a former palace of the Lomellino family.
The nearby building on via Brignole De Ferrari houses the chapter house for the Oratory of Philip Neri. Designed by the architect Giovanni Battista Montaldo, it was built during the same period as the church. It is not clear who designed the church.Sant'Ignazio all'Olivella
The Church of Saint Ignatius (Italian: Chiesa di Sant'Ignazio or Sant'Ignazio all'Olivella) is a Baroque church of Palermo. It is located in the ancient neighbourhood of the Olivella, in the quarter of the Loggia, within the historic centre of Palermo.
The church belongs to the Congregation of the Oratory of Saint Philip Neri and was built starting in 1598. It is located near the former house of the congregation, now Regional Archeological Museum Antonio Salinas, and the Saint Catherine Oratory. It is believed that during 12th century Saint Rosalia, patron saint of Palermo, has lived in this area together her family.Sebastian Valfrè
Blessed Sebastian Valfrè, C.O. (9 March 1629 – 30 January 1710) was a Catholic priest and a member of the Oratory of Saint Philip Neri. He is called the Apostle of Turin for his long years of service to the people of that city, where he served as the provost of the local Oratory for many years.The Oratory School
The Oratory School () is a boys' independent Roman Catholic day and boarding school in Woodcote, 6 miles (9.7 km) north-west of Reading. It is the only remaining all-boys Catholic boarding school in Britain,
and has announced that it will become co-educational from September 2020.
Founded in 1859 by John Henry Newman, The Oratory has historical ties to the Birmingham Oratory and is the only school founded by Newman. Although a separate entity from the nearby Oratory Preparatory School, it shares a board of governors and a common history. Newman founded the school with the intention of providing boys with a Roman Catholic alternative to Eton College.
According to the Good Schools Guide, the school "enjoys inspirational leadership, has achieved GSG 'overall best in UK' for three years running and is consistently at the top of the tree", with "state-of-the-art" boarding facilities and an ongoing refurbishment programme under way.The Independent Schools Inspectorate said in 2007: "Pupils and staff show deep and committed support to the Catholic values that underpin the school", and "genuine excitement and enjoyment shine through in sporting, musical and creative activities. Individual pupils and teams have achieved distinction in a wide range of activities, particularly in sport", and pupils "have recently represented Great Britain in rowing, shooting and real tennis, England in cricket and Ireland in rugby".Église Saint-Polycarpe
The Église Saint-Polycarpe (Church of St. Polycarp) is a Roman Catholic church located in the 1st arrondissement of Lyon, on the slopes of La Croix-Rousse, between rue René Leynaud, rue Burdeau and passages Mermet and Thiaffait. It is the oldest church of the Oratory of Saint Philip Neri.Śródka, Poznań
Śródka [ˈɕrutka] is a historic neighbourhood of the city of Poznań in western Poland. It lies on the right bank of the Warta river, opposite the island of Ostrów Tumski where the city's cathedral is situated. It belonged to the former district of Nowe Miasto; in the current administrative division of Poznań, Ostrów Śródka is part of an osiedle which also includes Ostrów Tumski and the neighbourhoods of Zawady and Komandoria.
Archaeologists have found evidence of settlement in Śródka which may date from the ninth century. By 1231 Sródka was a ducal settlement, and in 1288 it was granted to the bishops of Poznań. It obtained town rights in the 15th century (Ostrówek, at its western end, was a separate town), and was incorporated into the city of Poznań in 1800. Its name is related to the Polish word środa ("Wednesday"), this being the day of the weekly market once held there.
The district is centred on Rynek Śródecki (Śródka Marketplace), in the centre of which stands the 16th-century St. Margaret's church. On the north-west corner of the square is an Oratory of Saint Philip Neri, founded in 1665, the present building dating from the late 18th century. The small Malta cinema, sharing its name with nearby Lake Malta, was housed in the building next to the Oratory on the north side of the square, until its closure on 10 May 2010 (it is due to reopen in new premises in Jeżyce later in the year).
On the eastern edge of Śródka is the church of St. Kazimierz, built for the Franciscans in 1685, with a monastery added in 1704. The monastery was dissolved by the Prussian authorities in 1794. The church currently belongs to the Polish branch of the Old Catholic Church, and the former monastery building is used as a school for the deaf.
A main road runs just south of Śródka, connecting it with Ostrów Tumski and central Poznań to the west, and with the roundabout called Rondo Śródka at the district's south-east corner. This road was built in the 1960s, with the demolition of some buildings on the southern edge of Śródka. Since 7 December 2007 Śródka has also been linked with Ostrów Tumski by a footbridge ("Bishop Jordan's Bridge", Most biskupa Jordana), constructed from the former main span of the now reconstructed St. Roch road bridge which crosses the Warta further south. A bridge previously existed in this place until 1969.
The ancient Church of St. John of Jerusalem Outside the Walls lies on the south-east corner of Rondo Śródka, just outside the district of Śródka itself.