Operation Swift

Operation Swift was a military operation in the Vietnam War, launched by units of the U.S. 1st Marine Division to rescue two Marine companies which had been ambushed by the People's Army of Vietnam (PAVN). The operation took place in the Quế Sơn Valley, beginning on 4 September 1967. In the ensuing battles, 127 Marines and an estimated 600 PAVN were killed.


The Quế Sơn Valley is located along the border of Quảng Nam and Quảng Tín Provinces. During the Vietnam War it lay in the southern part of South Vietnam's I Corps. Populous and rice-rich, the valley was viewed as one of the keys to controlling South Vietnam's five northern provinces by the PAVN and by early 1967 at least two regiments of the PAVN 2nd Division had been infiltrated into the area. The Quế Sơn Valley was also recognized as strategically important by the U.S. Military Assistance Command, Vietnam (MACV). The 5th Marine Regiment was assigned to the valley in 1967 to support the outnumbered Army of the Republic of Vietnam (ARVN) forces there.

In the spring and summer of 1967 the Marines launched Operations Union and Union II with the goal of sweeping the PAVN from the southern rim of the Quế Sơn Valley. Several bitter and costly battles forced the PAVN 2nd Division to cede control of area to the 5th Marines. Two Battalions of the 5th Marines continued to operate in the valley throughout rest of the summer, but did not patrol aggressively and were not molested by the PAVN, who were regrouping. During the lull the PAVN 2nd Division rebuilt its strength to a force of three regular regiments and was reinforced by the Vietcong (VC) 1st Regiment, a full-time main force unit.

In early August Major General Donn J. Robertson, commanding the 1st Marine Division, turned his attention to the Quế Sơn Valley following several major operations around Da Nang. In an attempt to draw the PAVN into another destructive confrontation Robertson launched Operation Cochise on 11 August. However the PAVN largely managed to avoid contact with the three Marine battalions tasked with the operation which ended on 28 August with only modest results.


Sweep operations were then initiated to shield the local populace from intimidation during upcoming elections. Operation Swift, intended to be the fourth and the last of the 1967 operations in the Quế Sơn Valley, began unofficially on the morning of September 4 when Company D, 1st Battalion, 5th Marines was attacked before dawn by a superior PAVN force while in a night defensive perimeter next to the village of Dong Son.[1]:111

The 1st Battalion Commander, Lt.Colonel Peter Hilgartner sent 1/5 Marines's Company B, which was all he had at the time, to assist Company D. With Companies B and D heavily engaged, Companies K and M from the adjacent 3rd Battalion, 5th Marines were sent to relieve them. Ambushed and aggressively attacked, these two companies were also pinned down in separate enclaves by the early afternoon. During the fighting Corporal Larry Benjamin Nunez earned the Silver Star for conspicuous gallantry and intrepidity in action while serving as a Squad Leader. Sergeant Lawrence Peters earned a posthumous Medal of Honor for leading his men in repulsing repeated attempts to overrun his position. Navy Chaplain Lieutenant Vincent Capodanno was also awarded a posthumous Medal of Honor for his efforts in pulling wounded men to safety in face of overwhelming enemy fire. Sergeant Thomas C. Panian was also awarded the Navy Cross for extraordinary heroism for organizing the defense of Company I, 3/5 Marines; and holding off subsequent attacks over 8 hours of combat.[1]:113–4

Marine artillery fire and Marine jet fighter-bombers prevented the Marine infantry companies from being overrun. A Marine A-6 silenced an anti-aircraft gun emplacement, allowing more air support against PAVN positions, and a fresh Marine company launched a dawn counterattack on 5 September forcing the PAVN to break contact. With all engaged companies now relieved, Colonel Stanley Davis, commanding the 5th Marines, ordered 1/5 and 3/5 to pursue the withdrawing PAVN, this officially began Operation Swift. A search of the battlefield found 130 PAVN bodies, while Marine losses were 54 killed and 104 wounded.[1]:114

In the early afternoon of 6 September, two battalions of the VC 1st Regiment attacked Company B, the lead company of the 1/5 Marines. Company B was isolated and nearly overrun, but held when Marine artillery rained tear gas around their position. Sergeant Rodney M. Davis, Platoon Guide of 2nd Platoon, Company B, purposely absorbed the force of a PAVN grenade to protect the lives of other Marines during that fight. Sergeant Davis was posthumously awarded the Medal of Honor for this action. The PAVN withdrew at 02:00 leaving 61 dead, while Marine losses were 35 killed and 92 wounded.[1]:114–5

The nearby 3/5 Marines was also heavily engaged a few hours later. Company I, dispatched to attack a hill held by the PAVN/VC, was isolated and nearly overrun by the VC 1st Regiment's previously uncommitted 3rd Battalion. Company K fought through the VC and relieved Company I, but the two companies were then found to have too many casualties to move. Two determined night assaults by the VC were repulsed, and Company M eventually fought through against weakening opposition as the VC withdrew. Vietcong losses were 88 dead, while Marine losses were 34 killed and 109 wounded.[1]:115

On the morning of 7 September, after a search of VC bodies revealed a map of the VC tactical locations, the Marines swept the area, uncovering a large supply cache.[1]:117

On 10 September Company H, 2/5 Marines discovered an unoccupied bunker system, when another Marine platoon moved through the same village several hours later, they were hit by intense fire from the bunker now occupied by a PAVN force. Company H, 2/5 Marines and Company M, 3/5 Marines moved to support the pinned down platoon and with air and artillery support overran the PAVN position. The bodies of 40 PAVN were discovered, Marine losses were 9 dead. Several of the dead Marines were found with their jammed M-16s broken open for cleaning.[1]:118

Also on 10 September the ARVN 37th Ranger Battalion encountered a PAVN force north of the Swift operational area. The Rangers lost 13 killed and 9 missing while the PAVN lost 70 killed.[1]:118

In the early morning of 12 September, two PAVN Companies attacked Company I, 3/5 Marines' night defensive position, the attack was repulsed with 35 PAVN killed and 4 captured.[1]:118

On the evening of 13 September the PAVN attacked the 37th Rangers again and additional ARVN units and 1/5 and 3/5 Marines were airlifted to support them. By dawn the PAVN disengaged leaving 49 dead while the Rangers has lost 15 killed.[1]:119


The operation concluded on 15 September, by which time the PAVN 2nd Division and VC 1st Regiment had largely given up contesting the southern half of the Quế Sơn Valley. As Operation Swift concluded large U.S. Army units arrived in southern I Corps, allowing the 1st Marine Division to base a substantial force in the Quế Sơn Valley on a permanent basis. The area remained quiet from then until the Marines turned all of southern I Corps over to the U.S. Army at the beginning of 1968. U.S. intelligence agencies later determined that the two PAVN/VC regiments that had been most active during Operation Swift were subsequently unfit for combat.[1]:119


 This article incorporates public domain material from websites or documents of the United States Marine Corps.

  1. ^ a b c d e f g h i j k Telfer, Gary (1984). U.S. Marines in Vietnam: Fighting the North Vietnamese 1967. History and Museums Division, Headquarters, U.S. Marine Corps. ISBN 978-1494285449. This article incorporates text from this source, which is in the public domain.

External links

2019 Jammu and Kashmir airstrikes

On 27 February 2019, six surprise airstrikes were carried out by the Pakistan Air Force (PAF) at multiple locations inside Indian-Administered Jammu and Kashmir (J&K), in an operation known as Operation Swift Retort. The airstrikes were conducted in retaliation of Indian airstrike in Balakot just a day before on 26 February.On 14 February 2019, a suicide attack in Pulwama, India killed around 40 Indian security personnel. The attack, claimed by Pakistan-based militant group Jaish-e-Mohammed (JeM), triggered a standoff between the two nuclear-armed countries. On 26 February, Indian Air Force conducted an airstrike across Line of Control (LoC) in Balakot, Pakistan and allegedly killed a large number of JeM militants. The Indian airstrike in Pakistani territory, first time since war of 1971, further escalated the tensions and gave rise to skirmishes along LoC. Pakistani military said that the airstrike although did not cause any damage or casualties as India claims, but is the violation of LoC and will be responded with a “surprise”. On 27 February, the Pakistan Air Force conducted six airstrikes across LoC in Jammu and Kashmir, aiming at Indian military installments but deliberately targeting open field to avoid damage and casualties, describing the operation as the display of its aggressive capability. Soon after the airstrikes were carried out, PAF jets were chased down by Indian Air Force (IAF) jets into Pakistan. Pakistani military said that it shot down of two Indian jets in dogfights, one of which, a MiG-21, crashed inside Pakistani territory. The pilot of Mig-21 Wing commander Abhinandan Varthaman was captured by Pakistan army. As the situation deteriorated, many countries including China, Russia and United States offered to mediate the crisis.

3rd Battalion, 5th Marines

3rd Battalion, 5th Marines (3/5, nicknamed Dark Horse) is an infantry battalion in the United States Marine Corps. The battalion is based at Marine Corps Base Camp Pendleton, California and consists of approximately 1,000 Marines and Fleet Marine Force Navy personnel. The 3rd Battalion falls under the command of the 5th Marine Regiment which falls under the command of the 1st Marine Division.

Dace Raid

The Dace Raid is an informal name given to a raid conducted by Allied troops in the Pacific in World War Two.

List of coalition military operations of the Iraq War

This is a list of coalition (Multi-National Force – Iraq) military operations of the Iraq War. The list covers operations from 2003 until December 2011. For later operations, see American-led intervention in Iraq (2014–present).

Marine Corps Times

Marine Corps Times (ISSN 1522-0869) is a newspaper serving active, reserve and retired United States Marine Corps personnel and their families, providing news, information and analysis as well as community and lifestyle features, educational supplements, and resource guides. It is published 26 times per year.

Marine Corps Times is published by the Sightline Media Group, which is a part of TEGNA Digital, which itself is owned by TEGNA, Inc. The group was called the Army Times Publishing Company until 1997, when it was sold to Gannett and renamed Gannett Government Media. In 2015, it was spun off into one of the digital properties of TEGNA, and renamed Sightline. In March 2016, TEGNA sold Sightline Media Group to Regent, a Los Angeles-based private equity firm controlled by investor Michael Reinstein.

Operation Apricot

On 5 January 1945, a party of five Indonesians under the codename of Operation Apricot left Darwin to ascertain the fate of Operation Lion.

On 14 January 1945 the Dutch submarine K XV lands the party at the coast of the Djiko Doped Bay, north east Minahassa.

The leader was captured; the remainder were evacuated by Catalina flying boat on 31 January 1945.

Operation Crayfish

Operation Crayfish was the name given to an operation in World War Two by the Netherlands East Indies Forces Intelligence Service. In February 1944 they parachuted a special forces team into the Bilorri area of Japanese-occupied Dutch New Guinea for a sustained land undertaking to organise local resistance elements.

Operation Essex

Operation Essex was an operation by the 2nd Battalion, 5th Marines in "Antenna Valley", Hiệp Đức District south of An Hoa Combat Base from 6 to 17 November 1967.

Operation Finch

Operation Finch was a series of operations undertaken by the Services Reconnaissance Department in World War Two.

Operation Kingfisher (World War II)

Operation Kingfisher was an operation planned to rescue Allied prisoners of war from Japanese captivity in Borneo towards the end of the Second World War. The operation did not come to fruition and almost 2,500 POWs died during the Sandakan Death Marches.

Operation Lizard

Operation Lizard was the name given to a series of operations undertaken in Portuguese Timor by Australian troops in World War Two using Hoehn military folboats to get from the vessel to the island and return.

The party were inserted on to the island on 17 July 1942 and evacuated by February 1943.

Operation Locust

Operation Locust was an operation by M Special Unit in New Guinea during World War II. It was held in conjunction with the better known Operation Whiting.

Operation Oaktree

Operation Oaktree was a Dutch military operation in Dutch New Guinea during World War II. Under the command of Captain J.V. de Bruijn a group of around 40 men operated in enemy territory for more than two years between 1942 and 1944. It was handled by the Netherlands East Indies Forces Intelligence Service with Australian assistance.

Operation Opossum

Operation Opossum was a World War II raid undertaken by Australia's Z Special Unit in 1945 on the island of Ternate near Borneo to rescue the Sultan of Ternate, Iskander Muhammad Jabit Syah.

Operation Parsnip

Operation Parsnip was the name given to an operation in World War Two by the Netherlands East Indies Forces Intelligence Service on the island of Java. Troops were landed by submarine on 6 June 1945. The party was spotted by the Japanese and picked up; two were killed.On 6, 7 and 8 June 1945 the Dutch sub K XV unsuccessfully tried three times to land the NEFIS shore party 'Parsnip' shore party and supplies at the coast of Mandalika, north coast of Java. The shore party was under the command of Lt. Abimanjoe.

Operation Tiger (Java)

Operation Tiger was the name given to a series of operations in World War Two by the Netherlands East Indies Forces Intelligence Service on the island of Java. Almost all ended in disaster for the Allies.

Operation Walnut

Operation Walnut was a military operation conducted by the Allies on the Aroe Islands during World War Two. On the 12th July 1943 a reconnaissance patrol, WALNUT III was inserted on Djieo, a small island north of Enoe Island, using Hoehn military folboats. Their fate is unknown, presumed killed. The patrol was organised by the Netherlands East Indies Forces Intelligence Service.

Raid on Heath's Farm

The Raid on Heath's Farm was conducted by Australian commandoes in New Guinea on 1 July 1942. It followed the Salamaua Raid and took place 7 miles (11 km) outside of Lae. 44 Japanese were killed.

Raid on Mubo (1942)

The Raid on Mubo was a raid by Australian commandos on the Japanese base at Mubo in New Guinea in World War II conducted on 1 October 1942. A party of 60 soldiers from the 2/5th Commando Squadron (Australia) under Norman Winning attacked the Japanese base. It was estimated up to 50 Japanese were killed.

This page is based on a Wikipedia article written by authors (here).
Text is available under the CC BY-SA 3.0 license; additional terms may apply.
Images, videos and audio are available under their respective licenses.