Operation Robin

Operation Robin was a U.S. Marine Corps operation that took place southeast of Khe Sanh, Quảng Trị Province from 2–19 June 1968.


In late May 1968 US aerial reconnaissance detected a People's Army of Vietnam (PAVN) supply road being constructed through the jungle from the Ho Chi Minh Trail in Laos parallel to, but 15 km south of, Route 9 in an area known as the "Vietnam Salient" where Vietnam protrudes into Laos.[1]:320

The 3rd Marine Division planned Operation Robin as a two-stage operation, in Operation Robin North the 1st Marine Regiment would attempt to engage the recently infiltrated PAVN 88th and 102nd Regiments of the 308th Division south of Route 9, while in Operation Robin South the 4th Marine Regiment would conduct airmobile operations further south and locate and destroy the PAVN supply road.[1]:321

In preparation for the operation 219 attack aircraft and 30 B-52 sorties were flown against the intended landing zones while Marine artillery fired over 10,000 rounds.[1]:321

Operation Robin North

On 2 June the 1st Battalion, 1st Marines conducted a helicopter assault into Landing Zone Robin (16°34′34″N 106°47′13″E / 16.576°N 106.787°E) 10 km southeast of Khe Sanh and then moved north towards Route 9 in an attempt push the PAVN against the 2nd Battalion, 3rd Marines blocking positions on Route 9. That evening the 2nd Battalion 4th Marines was lifted to Robin from Ca Lu Combat Base. On the morning of 3 June the 1st Battalion, 4th Marines relieved the 2/4 Marines at Landing Zone Robin.[1]:321

The 2/4 Marines boarded helicopters to assault into Landing Zone Loon (16°34′44″N 106°45′11″E / 16.579°N 106.753°E) 4 km west of Robin and approximately 8 km southeast of Khe Sanh.[2] The initial landing at Loon on 3 June was met by the PAVN with small arms, mortar and artillery fire. At 6am on 4 June a company from the PAVN 88th Regiment attacked Company F 2/4 Marines resulting in 2 U.S. and 34 PAVN killed.[1]:322

The 4th Marines headquarters was established at LZ Robin on 4 June and the 1st Battalion, 12th Marines arrived to establish and artillery base. Companies from the 1/4 Marines replaced the 2/4 Marines on Loon on 4 June and the 2/4 Marines were lifted to establish Landing Zone Crow 2 km northeast of Loon.[1]:322

On 5 June Company C 1/1 Marines encountered a PAVN bunker system 4 km south of Route 9, the battle continued until the following afternoon.[1]:322

At 6am on 6 June a PAVN Battalion attacked Landing Zone Loon, after a 2-hour battle that resulted in 154 PAVN dead, the PAVN withdrew under cover of mortar and artillery fire. Due to the steady pressure on Loon it was decided to evacuate the landing zone and during the afternoon the 1/4 Marines were extracted by helicopter. The last HMM-165 CH-46 (#152533) to leave Loon was hit by PAVN anti-aircraft fire and crashed resulting in 13 U.S. killed.[3] The total U.S. losses for their 3 days at Loon was 24 dead and 37 wounded.[1]:322

Operation Robin South

On 6 June the 3rd Battalion, 9th Marines conducted a helicopter assault into a landing zone southeast of Robin and near the eastern end of the PAVN supply road. The Marines found that the road was well constructed, up to 18 ft wide with numerous culverts and the trees overhead tied together to reduce aerial observation. Beside the road were bunkers, hospitals kitchens and storehouses. The 3/9 Marines moved west along the road for several days destroying it and PAVN facilities as they went.[1]:322–3

On 11 June the 3rd Battalion, 4th Marines helicopter assaulted into Lang Hole a Montagnard village south of Landing Zone Loon where PAVN prisoners indicated a major supply area was located.[1]:323

On 14 June 2/4 Marines were lifted by helicopter onto the PAVN road near the Laos border and moved east to link up with the 3/9 Marines locating and destroying numerous bunkers and stores as they went.[1]:323

Shortly before dawn on 15 June a Battalion of the PAVN 88th Regiment attacked the 3/4 Marines near Lang Hole penetrating the Marine position. The battle continued until 9am when the PAVN withdrew pursued by helicopter gunships. Marine losses were 16 dead and 58 wounded while PAVN losses were 219 dead and 11 captured.[1]:323

At 02:15 on 16 June the PAVN attacked the 1/4 Marines at Landing Zone Torch (16°31′37″N 106°46′48″E / 16.527°N 106.78°E) penetrating the Marine perimeter. Battery C 1/12 Marines levelled their guns and fired Beehive rounds into the attackers. The PAVN withdrew at 04:00 leaving 28 dead while Marine losses were 14 dead.[1]:323

On the morning of 18 June the PAVN attacked Company K 3/4 Marines' night defensive position in a daylong battle the Marines with air and artillery support repulsed the PAVN attack resulting in 11 Marines killed and 30 wounded while the PAVN lost 131 killed.[1]:324


Operation Robin concluded on 19 June when the 4th Marines returned to Khe Sanh Combat Base. PAVN losses were 635 killed and 48 captured.[1]:324

The Marines would penetrate into the Vietnam Salient again during Operation Maine Crag from 15 March to 2 May 1969 reopening Landing Zone Torch.[4]


 This article incorporates public domain material from websites or documents of the United States Marine Corps.

  1. ^ a b c d e f g h i j k l m n o Shulimson, Jack (1988). US Marines in Vietnam: 1968 The Defining Year. History and Museums Division Headquarters United States Marine Corps. ISBN 0160491258. This article incorporates text from this source, which is in the public domain.
  2. ^ Kelley, Michael (2002). Where we were in Vietnam. Hellgate Press. pp. 5–306. ISBN 978-1555716257.
  3. ^ "680606 HMM-165 Vietnam". USMC Combat Helicopter Association. Retrieved 22 November 2014.
  4. ^ Smith, Charles (1988). U.S. Marines in Vietnam: High Mobility and Standdown 1969. History and Museums Division, Headquarters, U.S. Marine Corps. p. 63. ISBN 978-1494287627. This article incorporates text from this source, which is in the public domain.
Dace Raid

The Dace Raid is an informal name given to a raid conducted by Allied troops in the Pacific in World War Two.

Operation Apricot

On 5 January 1945, a party of five Indonesians under the codename of Operation Apricot left Darwin to ascertain the fate of Operation Lion.

On 14 January 1945 the Dutch submarine K XV lands the party at the coast of the Djiko Doped Bay, north east Minahassa.

The leader was captured; the remainder were evacuated by Catalina flying boat on 31 January 1945.

Operation Crayfish

Operation Crayfish was the name given to an operation in World War Two by the Netherlands East Indies Forces Intelligence Service. In February 1944 they parachuted a special forces team into the Bilorri area of Japanese-occupied Dutch New Guinea for a sustained land undertaking to organise local resistance elements.

Operation Finch

Operation Finch was a series of operations undertaken by the Services Reconnaissance Department in World War Two.

Operation Firetree

Operation Firtree was the name given to an operation in World War Two by theNetherlands East Indies Forces Intelligence Service in February 1945.

The Dutch submarine HNLMS K XV unsuccessfully tried five times to land the NEFIS shore party 'Firetree' (five men) at the coast of the Soela Islands. The shore party was under the command of First Lieutenant J. Tahija.On 5 and 7 March 1945 the K XV unsuccessfully tried two times to land the NEFIS shore party 'Poppy' at the coast of the Wijnskoopbaai, south coast of Java.

Operation Inco I

Operation Inco I was the name given to an operation in World War Two by the Netherlands East Indies Forces Intelligence Service on the island of Java. On 7 July 1945 the Dutch submarine K XV lands personnel and supplies of the shore party 'Inco I' at six different places on the coast of the Damar islands.

Operation Kingfisher (World War II)

Operation Kingfisher was an operation planned to rescue Allied prisoners of war from Japanese captivity in Borneo towards the end of the Second World War. The operation did not come to fruition and almost 2,500 POWs died during the Sandakan Death Marches.

Operation Lancer

Operation Lancer was a military operation by Dutch and Australian troops on Timor during World War II.

Lancer Force was the name of Australian troops used to replace Sparrow Force.Around 60 men from the KNIL were to be inserted onto Timor by the Australian navy to undertake guerrilla warfare against the Japanese. Australian ships were constantly attacked by Japanese planes and on 1 December 1942 HMAS Armidale was sunk with heavy loss of life; most of the survivors died.

Operation Lizard

Operation Lizard was the name given to a series of operations undertaken in Portuguese Timor by Australian troops in World War Two using Hoehn military folboats to get from the vessel to the island and return.

The party were inserted on to the island on 17 July 1942 and evacuated by February 1943.

Operation Locust

Operation Locust was an operation by M Special Unit in New Guinea during World War II. It was held in conjunction with the better known Operation Whiting.

Operation Oaktree

Operation Oaktree was a Dutch military operation in Dutch New Guinea during World War II. Under the command of Captain J.V. de Bruijn a group of around 40 men operated in enemy territory for more than two years between 1942 and 1944. It was handled by the Netherlands East Indies Forces Intelligence Service with Australian assistance.

Operation Opossum

Operation Opossum was a World War II raid undertaken by Australia's Z Special Unit in 1945 on the island of Ternate near Borneo to rescue the Sultan of Ternate, Iskander Muhammad Jabit Syah.

Operation Parsnip

Operation Parsnip was the name given to an operation in World War Two by the Netherlands East Indies Forces Intelligence Service on the island of Java. Troops were landed by submarine on 6 June 1945. The party was spotted by the Japanese and picked up; two were killed.On 6, 7 and 8 June 1945 the Dutch sub K XV unsuccessfully tried three times to land the NEFIS shore party 'Parsnip' shore party and supplies at the coast of Mandalika, north coast of Java. The shore party was under the command of Lt. Abimanjoe.

Operation Suncob

Operation Suncob was a military operation by the Australian Army in Timor in 1945 to investigate what happened to Operation Cobra. It consisted of Captain P. Wynne and Corporal J.B. Lawrence, both AIF and Z Special Unit. They were inserted into Timor on 2 July 1945 despite the Services Reconnaissance Department not hearing back from Operation Sunlag which had been undertaken shortly prior. Both men were captured and tortured by the Japanese.

Operation Tiger (Java)

Operation Tiger was the name given to a series of operations in World War Two by the Netherlands East Indies Forces Intelligence Service on the island of Java. Almost all ended in disaster for the Allies.

Operation Walnut

Operation Walnut was a military operation conducted by the Allies on the Aroe Islands during World War Two. On the 12th July 1943 a reconnaissance patrol, WALNUT III was inserted on Djieo, a small island north of Enoe Island, using Hoehn military folboats. Their fate is unknown, presumed killed. The patrol was organised by the Netherlands East Indies Forces Intelligence Service.

Raid on Heath's Farm

The Raid on Heath's Farm was conducted by Australian commandoes in New Guinea on 1 July 1942. It followed the Salamaua Raid and took place 7 miles (11 km) outside of Lae. 44 Japanese were killed.

Raid on Mubo (1942)

The Raid on Mubo was a raid by Australian commandos on the Japanese base at Mubo in New Guinea in World War II conducted on 1 October 1942. A party of 60 soldiers from the 2/5th Commando Squadron (Australia) under Norman Winning attacked the Japanese base. It was estimated up to 50 Japanese were killed.


TeaMp0isoN was a computer security research group consisting of 3 to 5 core members. The group gained notoriety in 2011/2012 for its blackhat hacking activities, which included attacks on the United Nations, NASA, NATO, Facebook and several other large corporations and government entities. TeaMp0isoN disbanded in 2012 following the arrests of three of its core members, "TriCk," "MLT," and "hex00010".

This page is based on a Wikipedia article written by authors (here).
Text is available under the CC BY-SA 3.0 license; additional terms may apply.
Images, videos and audio are available under their respective licenses.