Operation Meade River

Operation Meade River was a US Marine Corps cordon and search operation that took place south of Danang, lasting from 20 November to 9 December 1968.


Dodge City was a 36 square km area located approximately 20 km south of Danang to the west of Highway 1 and given this nickname by the Marines due to frequent ambushes and firefights there; together with Go Noi Island directly to the south it was a Vietcong and People's Army of Vietnam (PAVN) stronghold and base area.[1] The Dodge City area was completely flat and criss-crossed with numerous small waterways. Dodge City was the base for the Vietcong R-20 Battalion and the PAVN 1st Battalion, 36th Regiment.[2]:426

The operation was planned as part of the South Vietnamese Government's Le Loi Accelerated Pacification Campaign and called for the 1st Marine Regiment to cordon and search the entire Dodge City area.[2]:425–6


On the morning of 20 November 7 Marine Battalions moving overland and by helicopter established the cordon meeting light resistance losing 1 Marine killed and 25 wounded and 2 helicopters shot down. Two towers were flown into the northern area of the cordon and these would be used by snipers and for directing artillery and air support. At midday 2nd Battalion, 7th Marines began sweeping from the western side of the cordon towards the railway lines and at 16:30 Company G 2/7 Marines encountered a PAVN bunker complex in an area nicknamed the "Horseshoe" (15°53′35″N 108°10′48″E / 15.893°N 108.18°E), the Marines withdrew leaving behind 6 dead.[2]:427

On the morning of 21 November 2/7 Marines, supported by Company D 1st Battalion, 1st Marines and Company L 3rd Battalion, 26th Marines planned to resume their assault on the Horseshoe but were hit by intense fire before they had moved into position and the attack stalled.[2]:427–8

2/7 Marines attacked the Horsehoe again on 22 November. Company E was hit by close-range fire as it crossed a small stream losing 7 killed and 23 wounded in 10 minutes before it could withdraw.[2]:428 Company D 1/1 Marines attacked from the north losing 2 dead and 17 wounded before disengaging.[2]:428–9

On the morning of 23 November 3/26 Marines moved from the southwest of the cordon towards the Horseshoe joining up with 2/7 Marines. Company H, 2/7 Marines overran several enemy positions and recovered the bodies of the 6 Marines lost on 20 November.[2]:429

On 24 November air and artillery strikes were directed against the Horseshoe and then in the afternoon 2/7 Marines reinforced by Company K, 3/26 Marines attacked again. At 15:30 the assault was stopped by strong enemy fire and by 18:30 the Marines withdrew again having lost 5 dead and 31 wounded.[2]:430

On the morning of 25 November after preparatory artillery fire 2/7 Marines moved forward encountering no resistance as the defending PAVN 3rd Battalion, 36th Regiment had withdrawn.[2]:430

Over the next 4 days the Marines reduced and searched the cordon area. From midnight on 28/29 November a 6-hour artillery barrage hit the cordon area and then the 3rd Battalion, 5th Marines attacked along Route 4 clearing out numerous small bunkers and defensive positions.[2]:431–2

On 1 December 3/5 Marines encountered a strong enemy bunker position in an area nicknamed the "Hook" (15°53′33″N 108°12′25″E / 15.8925°N 108.207°E) losing 2 dead and 28 wounded before pulling back to allow artillery and air support to attack the enemy positions. 3/5 Marines attacked again on 2 December but made no progress. On 3 December 3/26 Marines joined the attack on the Hook and after an extensive air and artillery bombardment succeeded in penetrating the defensive positions by the evening of 4 December. On 5 December after a napalm attack the Marines overran the remaining defenses finding 75-100 PAVN dead.[2]:433

On 6 December Company E, 2/26 Marines encountered a PAVN bunker complex nicknamed the "Northern Bunker Complex" just south of the La Tho River (15°55′N 108°12′E / 15.91°N 108.2°E).[2]:433 On 7 December 3/26 Marines, Company H, 5th Marines and Company A, 7the Marines attacked the complex, quickly becoming pinned down and losing 10 dead and 23 wounded. The Marines withdrew into night defensive positions to allow for air and artillery strikes.[2]:434

At 11:20 on 8 December 3/26 Marines supported by 12 M113s from the ARVN 2nd Troop, 4th Cavalry attacked the Northern Bunker Complex finding 79 dead PAVN from the previous day's fighting. Company H was pinned down by a final line of bunkers, but the Marines used an improvised explosive device to destroy a large bunker and counted a further 39 PAVN dead in the defensive lines. Company A overran another bunker line clearing 12 bunkers and killing 47 PAVN and later engaged in a firefight with another PAVN unit killing 20 PAVN for the loss of 6 Marines. Company L engaged a PAVN platoon killing 15 PAVN for the loss of 5 Marines. As night fell Company I's lead Platoon was cut off and Sergeant Karl Taylor led a mission to rescue the wounded Marines, in addition to rescuing several wounded he silenced a PAVN machine gun position before being mortally wounded. Sergeant Taylor would be posthumously awarded the Medal of Honor for his actions.[2]:435

On 9 December following an artillery bombardment (including fire from the USS New Jersey) the Marines began their final assault on the Northern Bunker Complex methodically destroying the PAVN positions, finding over 130 dead in the bunkers and taking 8 prisoners.[2]:435–6


Operation Meade River concluded on 9 December 1968, the Marines had suffered 108 dead and 510 wounded and claiming that the PAVN/Vietcong 1023 killed and 123 captured. The Marines destroyed more than 360 bunkers during the operation. Despite their losses intelligence showed that by late December the Vietcong and PAVN had returned to Dodge City.[2]:436


5th Marines Sweep Through Elephant Grass, 1968 (14994647958)

5th Marines sweep through elephant grass

CH-46 Transport Helicopter, 1968 (14994498289)

A Marine signals a CH-46 into position for a resupply hook-up at Hill 55

Corporal Roland Tancrede Leads Marines, 1968 (15180856322)

7th Marine Regiment patrol

David Crouch Shares a Radio with a Civilian, 1968 (14994593200)

A Marine shares his radio with a civilian.

John Gartrell, Tunnel Rat, 1968 (14994691217)

A Marine Tunnel Rat crawls into a captured North Vietnamese bunker

Korean C-Rations, 1968 (14994590640)

US and Korean Marines share Korean C-rations


 This article incorporates public domain material from websites or documents of the United States Marine Corps.

  1. ^ Kelley, Michael (2002). Where we were in Vietnam. Hellgate Press. pp. 5–150. ISBN 978-1555716257.
  2. ^ a b c d e f g h i j k l m n o p Shulimson, Jack (1997). U.S. Marines in Vietnam: 1968 The Defining Year. History and Museums Division, Headquarters, U.S. Marine Corps. ISBN 0160491258. This article incorporates text from this source, which is in the public domain.

External links

2nd Division (South Vietnam)

The 2nd Division (Vietnamese: Sư đoàn 2) was a division of the Army of the Republic of Vietnam (ARVN)—the army of the nation state of South Vietnam that existed from 1955 to 1975. It was part of the I Corps that oversaw the northernmost region of South Vietnam, the centre of Vietnam.

7th Marine Regiment

The 7th Marine Regiment is an infantry regiment of the United States Marine Corps based at Marine Corps Air Ground Combat Center Twentynine Palms, California. Nicknamed the "Magnificent Seventh", they fall under the command of the 1st Marine Division and the I Marine Expeditionary Force.

Carl A. Youngdale

Carl Albert Youngdale (June 23, 1912 - March 8, 1993) was a highly decorated officer of the United States Marine Corps with the rank of Major General. As an artillery officer, he took part in the three major conflicts of 20th Century and completed his 36 years career as Commanding general of Camp Lejeune.

Hill 55

Hill 55 (also known as Nui Dat Son or Camp Muir) is a hill 16 km southwest of Da Nang, Quảng Nam Province, Vietnam. The hill is located 3 km northeast of the confluence of the Yen, Ai Nghia, and La Tho Rivers.. It was the site of a United States Marine Corps strongpoint during the Vietnam War.

Karl G. Taylor Sr.

Karl Gorman Taylor Sr. (July 14, 1939 – December 8, 1968) was a United States Marine Corps staff sergeant who was killed in action during his second tour of duty in the Vietnam War. He was posthumously awarded the Medal of Honor, the nation's highest military decoration for valor, for his heroic actions on December 8, 1968.

List of allied military operations of the Vietnam War (1968)

This article is a list of known military operations of the Vietnam War in 1968, conducted by the armed forces of the Republic of Vietnam, the United States and their allies.

List of allied military operations of the Vietnam War (M–S)

This article is a list of known military operations of the Vietnam War, a war fought by the United States to try to stop communism in Southeast Asia, conducted by the armed forces of the Republic of Vietnam, the United States and allies consisting of Australia, New Zealand, Thailand, South Korea, and the Philippines. This is not a complete list. Operations are currently listed alphabetically, but are being progressively reorganised as a chronology.

Marine Aircraft Group 39

Marine Aircraft Group 39 (MAG-39) is a United States Marine Corps aviation unit based at Marine Corps Base Camp Pendleton, California that is currently composed of four AH-1Z "Viper" Cobra and UH-1Y "Venom" Huey light attack squadrons, two MV-22 Osprey squadrons, an aviation logistics squadron, a Headquarters Squadron, and the H-1 Fleet Replacement Squadron. The group falls under the command of the 3rd Marine Aircraft Wing (3rd MAW) and the 1st Marine Expeditionary Force (I MEF).

The unit is commanded by a US Marine Corps Colonel, and each subordinate unit is commanded by a Lieutenant Colonel. The Group is known as VENOM.

Operation Pipestone Canyon

Operation Pipestone Canyon was a US Marine Corps, Army of the Republic of Vietnam (ARVN) and Republic of Korea Marine Corps (ROKMC) operation that took place on Go Noi Island, Quảng Nam Province, lasting from 26 May to 7 November 1969.

Operation Taylor Common

Operation Taylor Common was a search and destroy operation conducted by Task Force Yankee, a task force of the 1st Marine Division supported by the Army of the Republic of Vietnam (ARVN), southwest of Hội An from 6 December 1968 to 8 March 1969.


Marine Medium Tiltrotor Squadron 164 (VMM-164), is a United States Marine Corps tiltrotor squadron operating the MV-22B Osprey. Known as the Knightriders, they fall under the command Marine Aircraft Group 39 (MAG-39) and the 3rd Marine Aircraft Wing (3rd MAW). They are based at Marine Corps Air Station Camp Pendleton.

This page is based on a Wikipedia article written by authors (here).
Text is available under the CC BY-SA 3.0 license; additional terms may apply.
Images, videos and audio are available under their respective licenses.