King's Highway 7, commonly referred to as Highway 7 and historically as the Northern Highway, is a provincially maintained highway in the Canadian province of Ontario. At its peak, Highway 7 measured 716 km (445 mi) in length, stretching from Highway 40 east of Sarnia in Southwestern Ontario to Highway 17 west of Ottawa in Eastern Ontario. However, due in part to the construction of Highways 402 and 407, the province transferred the sections of Highway 7 west of London and through the Greater Toronto Area to county and regional jurisdiction. The highway is now 535.7 km (332.9 mi) long; the western segment begins at Highway 4 north of London and extends 154.1 km (95.8 mi) to Georgetown, while the eastern segment begins at Donald Cousens Parkway in Markham and extends 381.6 km (237.1 mi) to Highway 417 in Ottawa.
Highway 7 was first designated in 1920 between Sarnia and Guelph and extended to Brampton the following year. Between 1927 and 1932, the highway was more than doubled in length as it was gradually extended eastward to Perth, where Highway 15 continued to Ottawa. In the early 1960s, that section of Highway 15 was renumbered as Highway 7. In that same decade, the Conestoga Parkway and Peterborough Bypass were constructed. During the 1970s and 1980s, many sections of Highway 7 were widened from the initial two lane cross-section to four or six lanes. Within York Region, the route was upgraded to a limited-access expressway in preparation for the construction of Highway 407.
Soon thereafter, that new tollway would act as justification for transferring the section of Highway 7 through the Greater Toronto Area (GTA) to regional governments. In the west, the construction of Highway 402 between Sarnia and London provided an uninterrupted alternative to Highway 7, resulting in the transfer of the section west of Highway 4. A third transfer took place in Peterborough, briefly separating the route into three discontinuous segments, but has since been rectified by renumbering a section of Highway 7A. From 2007 to 2012, the section of Highway 7 between Carleton Place and Ottawa has been widened to a divided freeway. In addition, work is underway to extend the Conestoga Parkway to New Hamburg as well as to build a new freeway between Kitchener and Guelph.
Location of Highway 7 in Southern Ontario.
Current route Former route
|Length||535.7 km (332.9 mi)|
|Length||154.1 km (95.8 mi)|
|West end||Highway 4 – Elginfield|
| Highway 23|
Highway 8 – Kitchener
Highway 6 – Guelph
|East end||Halton–Peel boundary (near Norval)|
|Length||381.6 km (237.1 mi)|
|West end||Regional Road 48 (Donald Cousens Parkway)|
| Highway 412 – Whitby|
Highway 7A – Port Perry
Highway 12 – Sunderland
Highway 35 – Lindsay
Highway 115 – Peterborough
Highway 28 – Peterborough
Highway 62 – Madoc
Highway 37 – Actinolite
Highway 41 – Kaladar
Highway 15 – Carleton Place
|East end||Highway 417 – Ottawa|
|Major cities||Stratford, Kitchener–Waterloo, Guelph, Brampton, Vaughan, Markham, Pickering, Peterborough, Ottawa|
|Towns||Halton Hills (Acton, Georgetown, Norval), Whitby, Lindsay, Perth, Carleton Place|
The western segment of Highway 7 travels from Elginfield in Middlesex County in the southwest to the Halton - Peel border at Norval near Brampton; a distance of 152.6 kilometres (94.8 mi). A 23.4 km (14.5 mi) portion of this segment, from Waterloo Regional Road 51 south of Baden to Highway 85 in Kitchener is a freeway, forming part of the Conestoga Parkway. Plans to build a freeway bypass of Highway 7 from Kitchener to Guelph are currently underway.
At one point Highway 7 travelled as far west as Sarnia, being the main route to the Blue Water Bridge. Upon entering Sarnia from the east on London Line, drivers encountered a plethora of motels and restaurants, the Sarnia Airport, and attractions such as Hiawatha Racetrack and Waterpark, earning the stretch between Modeland Road and Airport Road the nickname of the "Golden Mile". At the interchange with Highway 40, Highway 7 transitioned into the Highway 402 freeway which continued westwards to the Bluewater Bridge at the American border. Highway 402 was completed between Sarnia and Highway 401 in 1982, resulting in the redundancy of Highway 7 west of London as traffic shifted to the high-speed alternate. This work involved the realigning of Highway 402 to a new interchange with Highway 40, just north of the existing Highway 7/Highway 40 interchange where Highway 7 would continue to a redirected Exmouth Street. Nonetheless, Highway 7 remained provincially maintained until the segment west of Highway 4 was transferred to county jurisdiction on January 1, 1998; a process referred to as downloading. The former highway is now known as Lambton County Road 22 (London Line) and Middlesex County Road 7 (Elginfield Road).
The current route begins at Highway 4, approximately 20 km (12 mi) north of London and immediately southeast of the village of Lucan; the former routing continued west along Elginfield Road through Parkhill and Arkona. Though the highway changes direction several times between Elginfield and Kitchener, it is mostly straight and two lanes wide, except east of New Hamburg where it widens to four lanes. Proceeding east-northeast through farmland, the highway the southern terminus of Highway 23 just 1.2 kilometres (0.75 mi) later. It continues, serving as the boundary between Lucan Biddulph to the north and Middlesex Centre to the south, and later as the boundary between Perth County to the north and Middlesex and Oxford counties, with the tripoint of the three at County Road 120A south of St. Marys. Southeast of St. Marys, Highway 7 curves northeast into Perth County until it reaches downtown Stratford, where it meets Highway 8.
The two highways travel east concurrently for 45.1 kilometres (28.0 mi), passing through the town of Shakespeare as it travels in a straight line through farmland. Southwest of New Hamburg, the route curves northeast into Waterloo Region, eventually widening into the four lane Conestoga Parkway east of Nafziger Road. It follows this divided freeway past interchanges at Waterloo Regional Road 51 (Foundry Street) south of Baden, Waterloo Regional Road 12 (Queen Street / Notre Dame Drive) south of Petersburg, and Waterloo Regional Road 70 (Trussler Road) north of Mannheim, where it enters Kitchener and becomes surrounded by residential subdivisions. Within Kitchener, Highway 7 encounters interchanges at Waterloo Regional Road 58 (Fischer-Hallman Road), Waterloo Regional Road 28 (Homer Watson Boulevard), Waterloo Regional Road 53 (Courtland Avenue), Waterloo Regional Road 15 (King Street), Waterloo Regional Road 14 (Ottawa Street) and Waterloo Regional Road 55 (Victoria Street). The Highway 8 concurrency ends at the King Street interchange, with it diverging southeast onto the Freeport Diversion. Highway 7 exits at Victoria Street, while the parkway continues north into Waterloo as Highway 85. Construction began in June 2015 on a future freeway between Kitchener and Guelph that will make use of a reconfigured Wellington Street interchange, just north of Victoria Street, and tie in with the northern end of the Hanlon Expressway.
Highway 7 exits Kitchener after crossing the Grand River, where it enters farmland again for the brief 10-kilometre (6 mi) journey to Guelph along Victoria Street and Woodlawn Road. Midway between the two cities, the route enters Wellington County. Within Guelph, it meets Highway 6 at the northern end of the Hanlon Expressway. The two routes travel southeast along the expressway to Wellington County Road 124 (Wellington Street, former Highway 24), where Highway 7 branches northeast into downtown Guelph. It exits the city along York Street after crossing the Speed River, travelling parallel to and south of the Goderich–Exeter Railway. At Rockwood, the highway enters Halton Region and begins to zig-zag through several communities in Halton Hills. These include Acton, where the route intersects former Highway 25, and Georgetown. Just east of Norval, the western section of Highway 7 ends at the Halton–Peel boundary. The road continues into Brampton as Peel Regional Road 107 (Bovaird Drive).
The western segment was separated from the rest of Highway 7 on June 7, 1997, when the section from Brampton to Markham was downloaded due to the opening of Highway 407. Part of that segment through Richmond Hill was relocated on a new alignment (as a 6 lane at-grade expressway) in 1987 in order to make way for the future toll route; the former routing incorporated Langstaff Road. Highway 7 through York Region, despite being a suburban arterial and no longer a provincial highway, is still officially named "Highway 7" and received the number York Regional Road 7, displacing Islington Avenue which was redesignated as Regional Road 17. Parts of the Markham portion were once called Wellington Street as well as sideroad allowance (before 1925 when Highway 7 reached the area), stub of the old road exists today west of Markham Road that was a result of re-alignment of Highway 7. The Toronto Star ran a series of articles in 2013 depicting the urbanization of the former route. Among the issues was a proposed name change to "Avenue 7".
The eastern segment of Highway 7 runs from Donald Cousens Parkway (York Regional Road 48) in Markham to Highway 417 in Ottawa, a length of 381.6 km (237.1 mi). Between Brooklin and north of Sunderland, Highway 7 assumes a north-south routing and is concurrent with Highway 12. The section from Sunderland to the eastern terminus of the highway is designated as part of the Central Ontario Route of the Trans-Canada Highway.
Travelling east from Donald Cousens Parkway, Highway 7 exits the urbanized portion of Markham and enters the Greenbelt, a large tract of land north of the GTA restricted from development. It curves north at the community of Locust Hill along a realignment built in anticipation of Highway 407, then curves back to the east as it crosses into Durham Region. It travels north of and parallel to Highway 407 to Brougham, curving to cross the former eastern terminus of the freeway near Brock Road (Durham Regional Road 1). East of the Highway 407 overpass, Highway 7 widens to four lanes and curves around the community of Greenwood and the hill that it stands on. The route crosses the northern end of Pickering, entering Whitby at Lakeridge Road (Durham Regional Road 23). Between Lakeridge Road and Highway 12, the route was rebuilt for the new Highway 407E and West Durham Link, with an overpass constructed at Cochrane Road. East of that, the route enters Brooklin and meets Highway 12.
Highway 7 and Highway 12 travel north concurrently from Brooklin through Durham Region to Sunderland, with Highway 7 eventually departing to the east and entering the City of Kawartha Lakes. Despite its name, the highway passes through a mostly-rural landscape in Kawartha Lakes, bypassing south of Lindsay in the middle of the "city" along a brief concurrency with Highway 35. East of Lindsay, the route meanders southeast towards Peterborough, encountering the divided freeway Highway 115 southwest of the city. The two routes travel east concurrently along the southern edge of the city. Highway 115 and the divided freeway end at Lansdowne Street, onto which Highway 7 turns.
The segment between Peterborough and Perth was built in the 1930s during the Great Depression, as a public works employment project. It was constructed parallel to a CP Rail corridor (now abandoned east of Peterborough) that was built in the 1880s, and used hand-power to dig and build the road whenever possible. From Peterborough to Norwood, the route travels in a straight line through the Peterborough Drumlin Field, connecting to the southern terminus of Highway 28 and crossing the Indian River while otherwise passing through farmland. At Norwood the route suddenly begins to meander as it approaches the undulated Canadian Shield. The section east of Havelock to Perth, unlike the rest of the highway, travels through a relatively isolated area, with few services or residences along the route outside of the several towns that it connects. In contrast to the surroundings west of there, this section is located in dense forest with numerous lakes and muskeg dotting the landscape. It services the villages of Marmora, where it connects with the northern terminus of former Highway 14, Madoc, where it intersect Highway 62, Actinolite, where it meets the northern terminus of Highway 37, and Kaladar, where it intersects Highway 41.
East of Kaladar, Highway 7 begins to serve cottages along the shores of several large lakes that lie near the highway. It intersects the northern terminus of former Highway 38 near Sharbot Lake and later passes south of Maberly before exiting the Canadian Shield and reentering farmland. On the outskirts of Perth, the route meets former Highway 43 and curves northward. It travels around the western and northern shorelines of Mississippi Lake before passing directly south of Carleton Place. Just east of there, Highway 7 widens into a four lane freeway for the remainder of the distance to Highway 417. This section, completed by early 2012, was built by "twinning" the existing two lane highway with a second parallel carriageway to serve as the eastbound lanes. Highway 7 ends at an interchange with Highway 417, where drivers can proceed east to Ottawa or north to Arnprior.
The route which would later become Highway 7 was first assumed by the Department of Highways on February 26, 1920. This route connected Sarnia to Guelph. On April 27, 1921, the route was extended east to the Wellington–Halton boundary. Several days later, on May 4, the highway was extended further east to Hurontario Street in Brampton. The Great Northern Highway, as it was known at the time, was numbered as Highway 7 during the summer of 1925. Assumptions on June 22 and July 2, 1927 extended Highway 7 from Brampton to Peterborough. A portion of the original routing of Highway 12 between Sunderland and Lindsay was renumbered in this process and a concurrency established between Brooklin and Sunderland.
During the early 1930s, the DHO decided that Highway 7 would ultimately serve as an alternative route between Toronto and Ottawa; at that time the only option was via Highway 2 and Highway 16. The first step in this undertaking was to extend Highway 7 as far as Madoc along existing settler routes. This section was assumed on September 17, 1930. On November 18, 1931, construction was accelerated between Madoc and Perth as a major depression-relief project when eight contracts were set to build the new route. Over 2700 men blasted rock, dredged muskeg and endured a constant barrage of blood-sucking insects in order to construct this new link. The majority of it followed along a Canadian Pacific right-of-way (now abandoned past the town of Havelock) which had been cleared in 1881, deviating at times to provide a better alignment, avoid large muskeg or to lessen excavation work, most of which was performed by hand. On February 10 and February 17, the route, still incomplete, was surveyed and assumed as an extension of Highway 7. The new highway was opened to traffic in August, 1932.
Between the 1930s and 1960s, Highway 7 connected Sarnia with Perth; Highway 15 continued from Perth to Ottawa. By the mid-1950s, the well established highway network had changed travel characteristics, and the numbering of Highway 15 between Perth and Ottawa was confusing motorists. The Ottawa Board of Trade petitioned the Department of Highways to renumber several highways surrounding the city. The department performed a series of renumberings similar to these recommendations following the extension of Highway 43 on September 8, 1961. Highway 15 was rerouted between Smiths Falls and Carleton Place to travel concurrently with Highway 29; Highway 7 was extended along the former routing from Perth to Carleton Place and signed concurrently with Highway 15 eastward to Ottawa. This brought the highway to its peak length of 700 kilometres (430 mi).
In the late 1990s and early 2000s, the Ministry of Transportation (MTO) downloaded several sections of Highway 7 to the regional or county governments that those sections lay within. There are three separate issues that led to these downloads.
Due to budget cuts instituted by the Mike Harris government, many highways deemed to serve a local or regional function were downloaded to local jurisdiction. The sections of Highway 7 west of London were transferred to Lambton County and Middlesex County, largely supplanted by the completion of nearby Highway 402 in 1982. On April 1, 1997, the section from Sarnia to Thedford was transferred to Lambton County. The section from Thedford to Elginfield was transferred to Lambton and Middlesex counties on January 1, 1998.
As the construction of Highway 407 progressed across the northern end of the Greater Toronto Area, the MTO transferred sections of Highway 7 to the regions of Peel and York. On June 7, 1997, the section between Highway 410 and Highway 404 was transferred to the regions of Peel and York; the section from Highway 404 to McCowan Road was transferred to York Region on April 1, 1999. Several months later, on September 1, a short section between McCowan Road and Markham Road was transferred. Finally, on January 25, 2007, the section between Markham Road and 185 m (607 ft) east of Donald Cousens Parkway, where the highway narrows to two lanes today, was transferred. Within Peel Region, Highway 410 and Highway 7 ran concurrently north-south between Bovaird Drive and Queen Street. The Queen St. portion of the route was numbered Peel Regional Road 21 on July 10, 1997, but renumbered as Peel Regional Road 107 on March 26, 1998. The Boivaird Drive portion of the route was transferred to the Region of Peel on July 12, 2002 and subsequently numbered Regional Road 107, despite the segment of Bovaird Drive East east of Highway 410 maintaining the designation of Regional Road 10.
In the Peterborough area, Highway 7 was rerouted from travelling through the city to bypassing it along Highway 115. This situation took over six years to set in place. On April 1, 1997, the sections of Highway 7 entering the western edge of Peterborough along North Monaghan Parkway and Sir Sanford Fleming Drive were transferred to the county and city, creating a gap between Springville and the Peterborough Bypass. This situation was rectified on May 1, 2003, when the section of Highway 7A that until then was a continuation of the road south from Springville to Highway 115 was renumbered as Highway 7. The concurrency with Highway 115 was extended southwest to remove the discontinuity entirely.
In 2005, Highway 7 was made the second main arterial for York Region's Viva Rapid Transit service (after Yonge Street), leading to the expansion of the CN MacMillan Bridge and Highway 400 overpass.
On August 22, 2006, work officially began on a project to expand Highway 7 between Ottawa and Carleton Place into a freeway through a process known as twinning, in which a second carriageway is built parallel to an existing road and grade-separated interchanges constructed. Plans for this expansion were first conceptualized in 1979 when a planning study was undertaken. However, budgetary constraints forced an early end to this study in 1981. In 1988, the project was reinstated. A study released that year recommended that Highway 7 be widened to five lanes with a centre turning lane south of Carleton Place as an interim measure; this was carried out in 1993. Full planning on the four-laning of the route began in 1993.
In mid-2005, the Government of Ontario announced the project to the public. The work was carried out over three contracts: from Highway 417 to Jinkinson Road, from Jinkinson Road to Ashton Station Road, and from Ashton Station Road to Highway 15. In July 2007, a C$45 million contract was awarded to R.W. Tomlinson for the first phase of the route west from Highway 417. Bot Construction was awarded the $73.2 million contract for the second phase, which included two interchanges, four overpasses and service roads, in early 2008. The first phase was opened to traffic on July 31, 2008 Towards the end of 2009, the $25.8 million contract for the third phase was awarded to Aecon Group. The second phase was completed ahead of schedule on December 3, 2008, bypassing south of the former route at Ashton Station Road and merging to two lanes west of Dwyer Hill Road. The third phase was completed in late 2011/early 2012, connecting to Carleton Place.
On March 23, 2007, the Government of Ontario announced the approval of an Environmental Impact Assessment for a four-lane controlled-access highway between Kitchener, and Guelph, as traffic on Highway 401 is growing steadily and approaching capacity, along with the current two-lane alignment of Highway 7. This would connect to the Conestoga Parkway via an expansion of the existing Wellington Road interchange, the new junction would be a four level interchange; the government's eventual plan is to have a Highway 7 freeway running from Stratford to Guelph. The eastern end of the proposed Highway 7 freeway would terminate at, and interline with, the Hanlon Expressway (Highway 6), which is also scheduled for upgrades to a full freeway beginning in June 2015.
The following table lists the major junctions along Highway 7, as noted by the Ministry of Transportation of Ontario. In addition, it includes some minor junctions. Highway 7 is maintained under a Connecting Link agreement within Stratford, Guelph, Acton, Georgetown, Omemee, Havelock and Marmora.
|Middlesex||Elginfield||0.0||0.0||Highway 4 – London|
|1.2||0.75||Highway 23 north – Mitchell|
|Middlesex Centre–Lucan Biddulph||10.1||6.3||County Road 50 north (Prospect Hill Road)|
|Perth–Middlesex||Perth South–Thames Centre||12.4||7.7||North Thames River crossing|
|17.6||10.9||County Road 123 north – St. Marys|
|Perth South–Zorra||24.0||14.9||County Road 118 north|
County Road 119 south – Thamesford
|Perth||Stratford||36.0||22.4||Perth 29th Line||Beginning of Stratford connecting link agreement|
|40.0||24.9||Highway 8 west – Goderich||Western end of Highway 8 concurrency|
|43.3||26.9||End of Stratford connecting link agreement|
|Perth–Waterloo boundary||Shakespeare||52.0||32.3||County Road 107||Formerly Highway 59|
|Waterloo||New Hamburg||60.2||37.4||Regional Road 1||New Hamburg Bypass|
|63.5||39.5||Regional Road 4 west (Peel Street)|
|Wilmot||64.4||40.0||Regional Road 4 east (Bleams Road)|
|65.8||40.9||Regional Road 5 north (Nafziger Road)|
|67.2||41.8||Western end of Conestoga Parkway|
Controlled-access highway begins
|68.0||42.3||Regional Road 51 (Foundry Street) – Wilmot Centre|
|73.1||45.4||Regional Road 12 (Queen Street (south) / Notre Dame Drive (north)) – Petersburg|
|76.9||47.8||Regional Road 70 (Trussler Road) – Mannheim|
|80.0||49.7||Regional Road 58 (Fischer Hallman Road)|
|82.4||51.2||Regional Road 28 (Homer Watson Boulevard)||Eastbound entrance via Ottawa Street South|
|85.1||52.9||Highway 8 east (Freeport Diversion)||End of Highway 8 concurrency; no access from Highway 7 to King Street|
|86.4||53.7||Ottawa Street North|
| Highway 85 north (Conestoga Parkway) – St. Jacobs|
Regional Road 55 east (Victoria Street)
|Westbound entrance via Edna Street, eastbound exit via Bruce Street; beginning of Kitchener connecting link agreement|
|94.0||58.4||Woolwich Street||End of Kitchener connecting link agreement|
|Woolwich||94.4||58.7||Regional Road 17 (Fountain Street)|
|Guelph||103.0||64.0||Imperial Road||Beginning of Guelph Connecting Link agreement|
|105.9||65.8||Highway 6 north (Woodlawn Road) – Mount Forest||Northern terminus of Hanlon Expressway; beginning of Highway 6 concurrency|
|109.6||68.1|| Highway 6 south (Hanlon Expressway) – Hamilton|
County Road 124 south (Wellington Street West) – Cambridge
|End of Highway 6 concurrency; Highway 7 exits Hanlon Expressway onto Wellington Street; beginning of former Highway 24 concurrency|
|112.1||69.7||Wyndham Street South|
County Road 124 north (Wellington Street East) – Erin
|Highway 7 turns off Wellington Street onto Wyndham Street South; end of former Highway 24 concurrency|
|116.8||72.6||End of Guelph Connecting Link agreement|
|120.0||74.6||County Road 29 (Eramosa Road) – Eramosa|
|Rockwood||124.1||77.1||County Road 27 (Gowan Road)|
|125.2||77.8||County Road 50|
|Crewsons Corners||131.3||81.6||Milton – Halton Hills Townline|
|Halton||Acton||134.4||83.5||||Beginning of former Highway 25 concurrency; beginning of Acton Connecting Link agreement|
|134.9||83.8||||End of former Highway 25 concurrency|
|136.4||84.8||Churchill Road||End of Acton Connecting Link agreement|
|147.0||91.3||||Beginning of Georgetown Connecting Link agreement|
|152.0||94.4||Hall Road||End of Georgetown Connecting Link agreement|
|154.1||95.8||Halton–Peel regional boundary; end of western segment; road continues east as Peel Regional Road 107|
|Highway 7 is discontinuous for 62.6 kilometres (38.9 mi) between Brampton and Markham|
|York||Markham||216.7||134.7||Beginning of eastern segment lies 185 metres (607 ft) east of Donald Cousens Parkway; road continues west as York Regional Road 7|
|219.6||136.5||Regional Road 30 (York–Durham Line)|
|226.5||140.7||Regional Road 1 (Brock Road) – Brougham, Uxbridge|
|227.3||141.2||Highway 407 west – Markham||Highway 7 passes over former eastern terminus of Highway 407|
|Brooklin||239.1||148.6||Highway 12 south (Baldwin Street) – Whitby||Beginning of Highway 12 concurrency; road continues east as Regional Road 3 (Winchester Road East)|
|Whitby||243.2||151.1||Regional Road 26 south (Thickson Road)|
|Scugog||253.3||157.4|| Highway 7A east – Port Perry, Peterborough|
Regional Road 21 west (Goodwood Road)
|Highway 7A provides a shorter route to Peterborough via Highway 115|
|256.2||159.2||Regional Road 8 (Reach Street) – Uxbridge, Port Perry|
|Saintfield||266.2||165.4||Regional Road 6 east (Saintfield Road) – Seagrave|
|Sunderland||275.4||171.1||Regional Road 10 west (River Street)|
|Brock||278.2||172.9||Highway 12 north / TCH – Beaverton, Orillia||End of Highway 12 concurrency|
|Trans-Canada Highway designation begins.|
|Manilla||285.2||177.2||Municipal Road 2 (Simcoe Street)|| |
|288.3||179.1|| Municipal Road 46 north – Woodville|
Fingerboard Road south
|Formerly Highway 46|
|294.5||183.0||Municipal Road 6 (Eldon Road) – Little Britain, Kirkfield||Community of Oakwood|
|303.2||188.4||Highway 35 / Highway 7B – Fenelon Falls, Minden||Lindsay Bypass; Highway 35 concurrency|
|307.3||190.9||Municipal Road 4 (Angeline Street) – Little Britain|
|308.7||191.8||Highway 35 south – Newcastle|
|310.2||192.7||Municipal Road 36 north – Bobcaygeon||Formerly Highway 36|
|Omemee Connecting Link agreement|
|334.8||208.0||County Road 1 (Lindsay Road)|| |
|Cavan–Monaghan||342.2||212.6||County Road 5 (Lansdowne Street)|
|343.6||213.5||County Road 15 east (Monaghan Parkway)|
|347.2||215.7|| Highway 115 south – Toronto|
County Road 28 – Port Hope
|Highway 7 enters onto freeway; Exit 45; beginning of Highway 115 concurrency|
|351.2||218.2||County Road 11 (Airport Road)||To Peterborough Airport|
Sir Sandford Fleming Drive
|356.9||221.8||Bensfort Road||Access to and from westbound Highway 7/115 via Kennedy Road; no access to eastbound Highway 7/115|
|358.5||222.8||Ashburnham Drive||Access to and from eastbound Highway 7/115 via Neal Drive|
|359.9||223.6||Lansdowne Street East|
County Road 30 north (Television Road)
|End of freeway and Highway 115 concurrency; signalized intersection; Highway 7 turns east onto Lansdowne Street|
|Peterborough||Otonabee–South Monaghan||367.2||228.2||Highway 28 north – Lakefield, Bancroft||Formerly Highway 134|
|377.0||234.3||County Road 38|
|Norwood||386.8||240.3||County Road 45||Formerly Highway 45|
|Havelock||395.9||246.0||Canadian Pacific Railway crossing||Beginning of Havelock Connecting Link agreement|
|397.7||247.1||Mary Street||End of Havelock Connecting Link agreement|
|Hastings||Marmora||414.0||257.2||Crowe River bridge; beginning of Marmora Connecting Link agreement|
|County Road 14 (Forsyth Street)||Formerly Highway 14 south|
|415.3||258.1||Maloney Street||End of Marmora Connecting Link agreement|
|Madoc||431.6||268.2||Highway 62 – Belleville|
|Actinolite||445.1||276.6||Highway 37 south – Belleville|
|Lennox and Addington||Kaladar||467.1||290.2|| Highway 41 north – Denbigh|
County Road 41 south
|Frontenac||Central Frontenac||507.2||315.2||County Road 509 north||Formerly Highway 509|
|508.5||316.0||County Road 38 – Kingston||Formerly Highway 38|
|Lanark||Maberly||519.8||323.0||County Road 36 (Bolingbroke Road south / Elphin Road north)|
|Perth||542.5||337.1||County Road 511 north – Lanark|
|543.2||337.5||County Road 43 south (Wilson Street) – Smiths Falls||Formerly Highway 43|
|Lanark Highlands||564.0||350.5||County Road 15 north (Ferguson Falls Road) – Lanark|
|Beckwith||573.0||356.0||County Road 7B (Townline Road) – Carleton Place||formerly Highway 7B; erroneously signed Lanark County Road 29 on Highway 7|
|Carleton Place||576.8||358.4||Highway 15 south – Smiths Falls, Kingston|
|577.4||358.8||County Road 29 (McNeely Avenue)||Formerly Highway 29|
|County Road 17 north (Appleton Sideroad)|
County Road 17 south (Cemetery Sideroad)
|584.4||363.1||Ashton Station Road|| |
|588.2||365.5||Regional Road 3 (Dwyer Hill Road)|
|595.8||370.2||Regional Road 36 (Hazeldean Road) – Ottawa|
|598.3||371.8||Highway 417 / TCH – Arnprior, Ottawa|
|1.000 mi = 1.609 km; 1.000 km = 0.621 mi|
Numbering of the various provincial highways in Ontario has been commenced by the Department of Public Highways. Resident engineers are now receiving metal numbers to be placed on poles along the provincial highways. These numbers will also be placed on poles throughout cities, towns and villages, and motorists should then have no trouble in finding their way in and out of urban municipalities. Road designations from "2" to "17" have already been allotted...
Route map:Actinolite, Ontario
Actinolite is an unincorporated compact rural community in geographic Elzevir Township in the Municipality of Tweed, Hastings County in Central Ontario, Canada. It is on Ontario Highway 37, just south of Ontario Highway 7 and north of the village of Tweed. The community also lies on the Skootamatta River just north of that river's mouth at the Moira River. Greyhound Canada express buses between Toronto and Ottawa use Actinolite's Log Cabin Restaurant as a rest stop.Black Lake (Sharbot Lake)
Black Lake is a lake in the municipality of Central Frontenac, Frontenac County in Eastern Ontario, Canada. It is part of the Saint Lawrence River drainage basin.
The primary outflow, at the west, is an unnamed creek that flows to Sharbot Lake, which in turn flows via the Fall River, the Mississippi River and the Ottawa River to the Saint Lawrence River.
Sharbot Lake Provincial Park envelops the northern, western and southern sides of the lake. Ontario Highway 7 runs along the north side of the lake.Brougham, Ontario
Brougham is a community within the northern part of the City of Pickering, in Durham Region of Ontario, Canada. Some of its lands are affected by plans to build the proposed Pickering Airport. There are concerns because some of its buildings are of architectural significance. There is one bus in the area; the 52 York University passes through with a stop at Brock Road. The population is about 150. The children go to school at Valley View Public School in its neighbouring town of Greenwood. It has slowly reduced in population and business as the 407 wound its way through in the early 2000s. It currently houses an Antique Restoration, Pickering Animal Shelter, Hot Tub Outlet and RV dealership, as well as a handful of historical buildings dating back to the Mackenzie Rebellion. In the past, the hamlet has been home for a Mac's Milk (Formerly Beckers) as well as a Family Run Hardware Store, a small restaurant as well as a small mechanic shop, most of which closed down in or around the time that the plans for the 407 development came to realization.
The Hamlet of Brougham is the designated future sight for the Highway 407 ETR/Ontario Highway 7 Bypass as the 407 expands through Eastern Durham Region. at this juncture, the proposed plans for the 407 lead from the Hamlet, and run parallel with Highway 7 until it reaches Bowmanville for the time being.
To the north of the Hamlet, there is the historical site of Thistle Ha', which consists of a plaque on the side of the road; and an old Historical Hotel that has fallen into disuse. Rumour has it that at the corner of Brock Road. and Concession 5, there once stood an Inn that William Lyon MacKenzie used as a staging area for activities during the Mackenzie Rebellion, although at this time, such claims are not wholly verified.Cloyne, Ontario
Cloyne is a small village in the township of Addington Highlands, Lennox and Addington County, Ontario, Canada. It is located on Ontario Highway 41 about 20 kilometres (12 mi) by road north of Kaladar at the crossroads of Highway 41 with Ontario Highway 7, with the settlements of Bishop Corners and Northbrook in between, and 43 kilometres (27 mi) by road south of Denbigh, with the settlements of Ferguson Corners and Vennachar Junction in between.
The village offers a number of services for residents, snowmobilers, cottagers and campers, particularly those visiting Bon Echo Provincial Park to the north on Highway 41. There are also number of small shops, providing townspeople and visitors access to groceries, antiques, chainsaw carvings, hardware supplies, gas, and hunting and fishing gear. Cloyne is also home to the North Addington Education Centre and a Pioneer Museum. The northern end of the village features an oversized wooden white lawnchair, which is able to comfortably seat well over a dozen tourists for photograph opportunities.Dollar, Ontario
Dollar is a former community of Markham Township, now the city of Markham and town of Richmond Hill, Ontario, Canada and was located near the corner of Leslie Street (3rd Line) and 15th Avenue (Highway 7). In 1869, Dollar was granted a post office, which was located on the north-west corner of Line 3 (Leslie Street) and 15th Avenue. In 1871 Dollar also had general store, a blacksmith shop and a church. The Zion Wesleyan Methodist Church was built about 1870 on Lot 10, Concession 3, on the east side of Line 3, just south of the intersection.With the arrival of the railroad through Markham Village and Unionville in the 1870s, the importance of smaller communities like Dollar began to fade. When rural mail delivery was instituted in 1914, Dollar was put on Rural Route #2, Gormley.
In 1962 the name "Dollar" was rescinded and the hamlet ceased to exist. On January 1, 1971, the north side of Ontario Highway 7 was annexed to the town of Richmond Hill. The last three historical homes were demolished in 1972 to prepare for the construction of the Best Western Parkway Hotel Toronto North (Richmond Hill). Today the former hamlet of Dollar is in close proximity to Ontario Highway 404. The site of the former post office is now the Times Square shopping centre. The city of Markham is planning for significant future development on the south side of the intersection.Drummond/North Elmsley
Drummond/North Elmsley is a township in eastern Ontario, Canada in Lanark County. It is situated on the north shore of the Rideau River between the town of Perth and the town of Smiths Falls. It is a predominantly rural municipality. The township offices are located in the hamlet of Port Elmsley.Jacksons Lake (Lennox and Addington County)
Jacksons Lake is a small lake in the Moira River and Lake Ontario drainage basins in Addington Highlands, Lennox and Addington County, Ontario, Canada.
The lake is about 380 metres (1,247 ft) long and 110 metres (361 ft) wide and lies at an elevation of 214 metres (702 ft) about 5.5 kilometres (3 mi) west of the community of Kaladar and 2 kilometres (1 mi) north of Ontario Highway 7. The primary inflow at the northwest and outflow at the southeast is an unnamed creek that is a right tributary of Little Skootamatta Creek. That creek flows via the Skootamatta River and Moira River into the Bay of Quinte on Lake Ontario at Belleville.Kaladar
Kaladar is a compact rural community and unincorporated area in the municipality of Addington Highlands, Lennox and Addington County in Eastern Ontario, Canada. It is located at the junction of Ontario Highway 7 and Ontario Highway 41.
To the north is a quaint little town by the name of Northbrook. Further north is Bon Echo Provincial Park. Other nearby natural areas are the Kaladar Pine Barrens Conservation Reserve and Puzzle Lake Provincial Park.
This area was first settled following the construction of the Addington Road in 1857. It was originally named Scouten after its first postmaster. The former Canadian Pacific Railway Havelock Subdivision rail bed passing through the town has been turned into a rail trail and become part of the Trans Canada Trail. The Kaladar fire tower was situated at the north end of the village just off the highway, but was removed some time in the 1970s or 1980s.
The name is also used for Kaladar Township, a geographic township, in which Kaladar lies roughly at the centre.Marmora and Lake
The Municipality of Marmora and Lake is nestled along the banks of Crowe River and Beaver Creek. A picturesque municipality, home to more than 4,000 full time and seasonal residents many of whom enjoy outdoor recreation and relaxation on Crowe Lake. Midway between Toronto and Ottawa on provincial highway 7 in beautiful Hastings County in Central Ontario, Canada.Norman Ryan
Norman "Red" Ryan, (July 8, 1895 – May 23, 1936) was a notorious gangster in early 20th century Toronto, Ontario. He came from an Irish Catholic upbringing and he took to the streets as a young man to engage in crime. He was called the 'Jesse James of Canada' and he was known for armed robbery, safecracking, and other major theft. He killed six people in his career. He was arrested in Minnesota on December 14, 1923 and given life imprisonment, which he served in Canada. He served his sentence at Kingston Penitentiary. He was killed in a liquor store in Sarnia by a police officer after being shot 3 times.
In prison he lived the life of a model prisoner and became a poster child for the prison reform movement in Canada. A large-scale movement to change the parole system with such supporters as Prime Minister R.B. Bennett, several major newspapers and major politicians, led to Ryan's release from prison in 1935.After his release he hosted a popular radio program on CFRB where he denounced the criminal lifestyle and his own past life. He was photographed at the Toronto police games in 1935 standing next to John "Duke" McGarry (a Toronto hotelkeeper and the official starter of the games), Dr MM Crawford (the chief coroner of Toronto), Frank Denton (York County Judge), EJ "Eddy" Murphy (a well-respected lawyer who had known Ryan from his childhood), and Percy J. Quinn (Toronto city alderman).
At the same time that he was leading this life, he got together with gang members Edward McMullen and Harry Checkley, and went on a ten-month-long armed robbery spree across the province of Ontario. He lived a Dr Jekyll/Mr Hyde existence and he successfully kept his robberies secret from the public eye.
In the early morning of February 29, 1936, he and his gang broke into a car garage in Markham village with the intention of stealing a 1935 V8 Chevrolet Master Sedan. As they were pulling away the car, the owner of the garage and his son came out to confront them. After a bitter melee fight in the stolen car, both father and son were shot by the gang members. The stolen car was abandoned on the side of Ontario Highway 7 and the gang members took to their own car to flee the scene. The local constable pursued after them but gave up the chase after the gang members fired over fifty rounds into his car. The father, who had been shot in the head with a sawed-off shotgun, succumbed to his injuries and died a week later. As a result, a large reward was placed on information leading to the arrest of the gunmen.
Ryan denounced the shooting on his radio programme and he went to police headquarters in Toronto, where he presented himself to the chief detective as an undercover man to help solve the case.
Harry Checkley and Ryan were killed by police bullets at a liquor store in Sarnia a few months later on May 23, 1936. Constable Jack Lewis died in the altercation. The last broadcast of Ryan's programme on CFRB came directly before the news broadcast about his death in Sarnia. Edward McMullen tried to flee into the United States but he was gunned down at the Blaine crossing in British Columbia/Washington after he opened fire on the border guards when they decided to search him. The Archdiocese of Toronto refused to give Ryan a Catholic burial.
On October 2nd 2018, the Sarnia Historical Society dedicated a plaque on the building where Jack Lewis passed away.Omemee, Ontario
Omemee is a community within the city of Kawartha Lakes, Ontario, Canada, formerly known as Victoria County. Located on Ontario Highway 7, which is the Trans-Canada Highway, Omemee is one of the major communities in the Kawartha Lakes, as the proclaimed "city" is vastly rural and has but one major population centre. The community had a population of 1,247 in the Canada 2011 Census. It is located between the city of Peterborough and the community of Lindsay. Lindsay is the largest population centre in the city of Kawartha Lakes, and serves as the administrative centre as it did with Victoria County.
Omemee was the early childhood home of musician Neil Young, and of his father, author and sportswriter Scott Young.
In late 2014 Omemee’s Youngtown museum closed for good, and shipped its content to neighbouring town Lindsay for display.August 2016 Omemee was featured on Canadian comedian Jonny Harris’ CBC Still Standing program. Filmed at Thanksgiving the year prior, in the town's city hall, the episode focused on Neil Young and his childhood friend, taking rifle shooting lessons from the town doctor and going adventure diving in a swimming pool.Otonabee River
The Otonabee River is a river in Peterborough County in Central Ontario, Canada. The river flows from Katchewanooka Lake, at the north end of the community of Lakefield, through the city of Peterborough to Rice Lake. It is in the Great Lakes Basin and forms part of the Trent-Severn Waterway.Queensborough, Ontario
Queensborough is an unincorporated community in the municipality of Tweed, Hastings County, in Central Ontario, Canada. It is located north of Ontario Highway 7 on the Black River, about 20 kilometres (12 mi) north-west of the village of Tweed and 15 kilometres (9.3 mi) north-east of the town of Madoc.Scugog River
The Scugog River is a river in the city of Kawartha Lakes in Central Ontario, Canada. It is in the Kawartha Lakes region, is part of the Great Lakes Basin, and is a branch of the Trent-Severn Waterway.
The river flows north from the northeast end of Lake Scugog, goes under Ontario Highway 7, heads through the community of Lindsay where it passes through Trent-Severn Waterway Lock 33 and associated control dams, and reaches its mouth at Sturgeon Lake. Sturgeon Lake flows via the Otonabee River and the Trent River to Lake Ontario.Sharbot Lake
Sharbot Lake is a suburban community and unincorporated area in the municipality of Central Frontenac, Frontenac County in Eastern Ontario, Canada. It is part of the Land O'Lakes Tourist Region and is located on the eponymous Sharbot Lake.Sharbot Lake (Ontario)
Sharbot Lake is a lake in the municipality of Central Frontenac, Frontenac County in Eastern Ontario, Canada. It is part of the Saint Lawrence River drainage basin. The eponymous community of Sharbot Lake is located at the centre of the north shore of the lake.
The primary outflow, at the northeast, is the Fall River, which flows via the Mississippi River and the Ottawa River to the Saint Lawrence River.
Sharbot Lake Provincial Park is named for, and is partly on the northwest shore of, the lake, but mostly envelops the neighbouring Black Lake. Ontario Highway 7 runs roughly along the northwest side of the lake, and the former Ontario Highway 38, now County Road 38, crosses the lake at the location of the community of Sharbot Lake. The same crossing point is used by the multi-use K&P Rail Trail (part of the Trans Canada Trail), formerly the rail bed of the Kingston and Pembroke Railway.
Sharbot lake is named after an Indian Chief named Francis, who was Mohawk and his wife Algonquin.Sharbot Lake Provincial Park
Sharbot Lake Provincial Park is a park under the auspices of Ontario Parks in the municipality of Central Frontenac, Frontenac County in Eastern Ontario, Canada. The park has an area of 80 hectares (198 acres) and was established in 1958.This recreation class campground has 194 camp sites, 178 of which are treed. In 2010 the campground hosted more than twenty-nine thousand visitors, of which more than twenty-six thousand were overnight campers. Although the park is on the northwest shore of Sharbot Lake, it is mostly along the shore line of the neighbouring Black Lake, having two sandy beaches on this latter lake.
Ontario Highway 7 parallels much of the park.Sulphide Creek (Hastings County)
Sulphide Creek is a creek in the Moira River and Lake Ontario drainage basins in Tweed, Hastings County and Addington Highlands, Lennox and Addington County in Ontario, Canada.