Secondary Highway 522, commonly referred to as Highway 522, is a provincially maintained highway in the Canadian province of Ontario. The highway is 109.6 kilometres (68.1 mi) in length, connecting Highway 69 near Cranberry with Highway 11 at the community of Trout Creek. Highway 522 serves as the only link between these two routes south of Highway 17 and north of Highway 124. It is often used to access Grundy Lake Provincial Park, a popular camping area for northbound travellers.
Highway 522 was established between Loring and Trout Creek alongside many other secondary highways in 1956. It was extended to the Pickerel River in 1965, but did not connect with Highway 69 until the mid-1970s. It was fully paved by 1980. In 2002, the Trout Creek Bypass opened, shifting Highway 11 around the town. Highway 522 was extended from its eastern terminus south to an interchange with the new bypass as a result.
|Maintained by the Ministry of Transportation of Ontario|
|Length||109.6 km (68.1 mi)|
|West end||Highway 69 – Cranberry|
|East end||Highway 11 – Trout Creek|
|Districts||Parry Sound District|
Highway 522 begins at a junction with Highway 69 in the community of Cranbury. This terminus will be upgraded to an interchange with the future Highway 400 extension by 2021. It travels east and provides access to Grundy Lake Provincial Park, then enters a mostly remote wilderness of the Canadian Shield, dominated by thick forest and rock outcroppings. The route services cottages along the northern shorelines of Kawigamog Lake, Little Long Lake, Wauquimakog Lake and Seagull Lake while passing through the communities of Pakesley, Lost Channel, Ess Narrows Landing, Fleming's Landing, Loring, Spring Creek, Port Loring and Arnstein.
Highway 522 continues through Golden Valley and Bear Valley, south of the Loring Deer Yard, before meeting Highway 524 at Farley's Corners. There the highway briefly curves southwards to Commanda, where it crosses the Commanda Creek and resumes its eastward journey. It passes through Gurd Township for an additional 20 kilometres (12 mi) before entering Trout Creek. Within that town the route is maintained under a Connecting Link agreement between Barrett Street and the junction with Highway 522B (Main Street) downtown. At that junction, drivers must turn south to remain on the highway. It continues another 2.6 kilometres (1.6 mi) to an interchange with Highway 11.
Like other provincial routes in Ontario, Highway 522 is maintained by the Ministry of Transportation of Ontario. In 2010, traffic surveys conducted by the ministry showed that on average, 880 vehicles used the highway daily along the 24.0-kilometre (14.9 mi) section between Highway 11 in Trout Creek and the Commanda Creek bridge while 450 vehicles did so each day along the 47.0-kilometre (29.2 mi) section east of Grundy Lake Provincial Park, the highest and lowest counts along the highway, respectively.
Highway 522 was initially designated in 1956, along with many of the secondary highways in Ontario. However, the route only travelled from Trout Creek as far west as Loring. It was paved into Trout Creek and between Loring and Arnstein, but a gravel road otherwise. The route was paved between Arnstein and Golden Valley by 1958, and to east of Commanda in 1961 Under the funding of a "day labour program", the route was extended west 21.4 kilometres (13.3 mi) along a gravel road to the Pickerel River at Kawigamog Lake on April 25, 1965. The remainder of the route between Commanda and Trout Creek was paved in 1966, and work continued to extend Highway 522 further west. The route was extended as a gravel road to Highway 69 at some point between 1974 and 1976. The remaining gravel sections, west of Loring, were paved in 1978 or 1979.
In 2002, Highway 11 was re-routed along a recently completed bypass around Trout Creek. Highway 522 was then extended south by 3 kilometres (1.9 mi) along the former alignment of Highway 11, terminating at the new alignment of Highway 11 at Exit 301 (interchange with Highway 522 and McFadden Lane). The remainder of the former alignment of Highway 11 running north in Trout Creek was retained in the provincial system and renumbered as Highway 522B, terminating at Exit 306 (interchange with Highway 522B and Hemlock Road).
|Cranberry||0.0||0.0||Highway 69 – Sudbury|
|Mowat Township||1.0||0.62||Grundy Lake Provincial Park Entrance|
|Wilson Township||38.4||23.9||Rogerson Road|
|Farleys Corners||80.5||50.0||Highway 524 north – Carr, Restoule|
|Trout Creek||106.4||66.1||Barrett Street||Beginning of Trout Creek Connecting Link agreement|
|107.0||66.5||Highway 522B north (Main Street)||Highway 522 turns south at intersection; end of Trout Creek COnnecting Link agreement|
|109.6||68.1|| Highway 11 – Barrie, North Bay|
|Exit 301; boundary between Municipality of Powassan and Laurier Township|
|1.000 mi = 1.609 km; 1.000 km = 0.621 mi|
Two new Ontario road numbers appear on the province's 1956 official road map which will be ready for distribution next week. The new numbers are the 500 and 600 series and designate hundreds of miles of secondary roads which are wholly maintained by the Highways Department. More than 100 secondary roads will have their own numbers and signs this year. All of these secondary roads were taken into the province's main highways system because they form important connecting links with the King's Highways
Nipissing is an incorporated (political) township in Parry Sound District in Central Ontario, Canada. It is on Lake Nipissing and is part of the Almaguin Highlands region. Nipissing was surveyed between 1874 and 1881, and was incorporated in 1888. Among the first settlers in the area were the Chapman and Beatty families. Nipissing Township annexed Gurd Township in 1970. The township also contains a community named Nipissing, which is located on the South River near Chapman's Landing, on the South Bay of Lake Nipissing. The township administrative offices are located in Nipissing.
The township includes the communities of Alsace, Christian Valley, Commanda, Hotham, Nipissing and Wade's Landing.Ontario Highway 69
King's Highway 69, commonly referred to as Highway 69, is a major north–south highway in the central portion of the Canadian province of Ontario, linking Highway 400 north of Parry Sound with the city of Greater Sudbury at Highway 17. It is part of the Trans-Canada Highway and the National Highway System.
From its northerly terminus at Sudbury, the highway follows a wide urban arterial route for several kilometres before widening into a full freeway south of Crown Ridge. As of July 2016 this freeway segment extends south 49 km to a point 5 km north of the French River. From there, the route narrows to a two-lane highway to its southerly terminus, located three kilometres north of Highway 559 at Carling. At this terminus, the roadway widens back into a freeway and changes its designation to Highway 400. South of this point, various former alignments of Highway 69 remain in use as parts of Highway 400 or as county or local roads. The highway forms part of the Georgian Bay Route of the Trans-Canada Highway, which continues south along Highway 400.
Highway 69 was first designated in 1936 when the Department of Highways (DHO) assumed the Rama Road between Atherley and Washago. This short route was expanded the following year when the DHO merged with the Department of Northern Development and expanded the King's Highway network north of the Severn River. By the beginning of World War II, the route reached as far north as Britt; a separate segment connected the town of Burwash with Sudbury. However, the rationing of labour and materials due to the war effort resulted in these two sections remaining separated until the mid-1950s.
In 1976, several reroutings and renumbering took place in the Muskoka area. As a result, the portion of Highway 69 between Brechin and Foot's Bay was renumbered as Highway 169, while the entirety of Highway 103 between Coldwater and Foot's Bay was renumbered as Highway 69. Until the 1980s, the highway extended through Sudbury to Capreol, but was then truncated at a junction with Highway 17's route through Sudbury along what is now Municipal Road 55; this portion was subsequently truncated again in 1995 upon the completion of the Southwest and Southeast Bypasses, onto which Highway 17 was rerouted. Throughout the 1990s and 2000s, Highway 400 was gradually pushed north to its current terminus by twinning Highway 69, gradually truncating the southern end of the Highway 69 route.Trout Creek, Ontario
Trout Creek is a community and unincorporated area in the municipality of Powassan, Parry Sound District in Northern Ontario, Canada. It is in geographic South Himsworth Township; is located on Ontario Highway 11, 12 kilometres (7 mi) south of the town centre of Powassan; and is part of the Almaguin Highlands.Wolf River (Parry Sound District)
The Wolf River is a river in Parry Sound District in Central Ontario, Canada. It is in the Great Lakes Basin and is a right tributary of the Pickerel River.