The Old Royal Palace (Greek: Παλαιά Ανάκτορα Palaiá Anáktora) is the first royal palace of modern Greece, completed in 1843. It has housed the Hellenic Parliament since 1934. The Old Palace is situated at the heart of modern Athens, facing onto Syntagma Square.
|Old Royal Palace|
A view from Vasilissis Amalias Avenue
Location within Athens
|Current tenants||Hellenic Parliament|
|Client||Ludwig I of Bavaria|
|Design and construction|
|Architect||Friedrich von Gärtner|
The palace was designed by Bavarian architect Friedrich von Gärtner for King Otto of Greece and his wife, Queen Amalia, with funds donated by Otto's father, King Ludwig I of Bavaria. Previous proposals had placed the new palace at the sites of Omonoia Square, Kerameikos and even on top the Acropolis of Athens.
After suffering fire damage in 1909, it entered a long period of renovation. During renovations the King and his family moved to the Crown Prince's Palace, from then on known as the "New Palace", one block to the east on Herodou Attikou Street.
Some of the royal family, chiefly the dowager Queen Olga, continued to reside in the "Old Palace" until 1922. In 1924, a referendum abolished the monarchy. The building was then used for many different purposes—housing a variety of government and public services in the 1920s, functioning as a makeshift hospital during World War II, a refugee shelter for Greek refugees from Asia Minor in 1922, a museum with the personal effects of King George I (now part of the collection of the National Historical Museum), and other uses.
In November 1929 the government decided that the building would permanently house Parliament (previously housed in what is now called the Old Parliament House). After more extensive renovations, the Senate convened in the "Old Palace" on 2 August 1934, followed by the Fifth National Assembly on 1 July 1935. Although the monarchy was restored that same year, the building has housed Parliament ever since.
The 23 October 1862 Revolution was a popular insurrection which led to the overthrow of King Otto of Greece. Starting on 18 October in Vonitsa, it soon spread to other cities and reached Athens on 22 October.3 September 1843 Revolution
The 3 September 1843 Revolution (Greek: Επανάσταση της 3ης Σεπτεμβρίου 1843; N.S. 13 September), was an uprising by the Hellenic Army in Athens, supported by large sections of the people, against the autocratic rule of King Otto. The rebels, led by veterans of the Greek War of Independence, demanded the granting of a constitution and the departure of the Bavarian officials that dominated the government. The revolution succeeded, ushering the period of constitutional monarchy and universal suffrage in Greece.Adriaen van Cronenburg
Adriaen van Cronenburg (also Cronenburgh, Cronenburch) (Schagen, c. 1525 – Bergum, after 1604) was a Northern Netherlandish painter. He produced mainly portraits.
Cronenburg was active between about 1547 and 1590, working in the provinces of Friesland and Groningen. He also spent some time in Belgium, especially in Leuven and Antwerp, where he painted the portrait of Katheryn of Berain now in National Museum Cardiff.
Cronenburg's cousin married into two aristocratic families in succession, and it is likely through this connection that he became secretary of Tietjerksteradeel in 1567. Following the Union of Utrecht, Cronenburg left Friesland in 1580 due to his refusal to give up Catholicism. He was allowed to return to Friesland in 1592 and settled in Bergum. The last signed works known are from 1587 and 1590.
The identity of Adriaen van Cronenburg was established by A. Wassenbergh, formerly the director of the Fries Museum, based on his unusual signature, A.a.a.a. van Cronenburg. For many years, the illogical signature was 'corrected' to 'Anna van Cronenburg,' but Wassenbergh showed that the four a's were a rebus for Adriaen. In Dutch A.a.a.a., read as 'A, three a's,' is pronounced 'A, drie a'en,' or Adriaen.
Anna van Cronenburg (1552 – c. 1590) was a documented relation of Adriaen, the daughter of a doctor whose second husband became mayor of Leeuwarden in 1579. The issue of the real identity of the artist was raised in an article in 1934 by G. Marlier.Various works by Cronenburg are in the Fries Museum, and a group of four related portraits of women is in the Prado Museum in Spain. The Prado group are all three-quarter length standing portraits of ladies, two with daughters of perhaps ten years old. One has a skull on a table, like the Cardiff portrait. The four, plus a lost fifth work, were inventoried in the Spanish royal collection at the old royal palace, the Royal Alcazar of Madrid, in 1636, and show their subjects in front of the same background of a Renaissance blind arcade with niches and green drapery, and are virtually the same size (about 1.05 x 0.79 cm).Bohemian Crown Jewels
The Bohemian Crown Jewels, sometimes called the Czech Crown Jewels (Czech: české korunovační klenoty), include the Crown of Saint Wenceslas (Svatováclavská koruna), the royal orb and sceptre, the coronation vestments of the Kings of Bohemia, the gold reliquary cross, and St. Wenceslas' sword. They were originally held in Prague and Karlštejn Castle, designed in the 14th century by Matthias of Arras. Since 1791 they have been stored in St. Vitus Cathedral at Prague Castle. Reproductions of the jewels are permanently exhibited in the historical exposition at the former royal palace in the castle. The crown was made for the coronation of Charles IV in 1347, making it the fourth oldest in Europe.Desay Madu Jhya
Desay Madu Jhyā (Devanagari: देसय मदु झ्या:) is a traditional wooden window in Kathmandu which is celebrated for its uniqueness. The name means "window without equal in the country" in Nepal Bhasa. The window is set into the facade of a residential house in central Kathmandu.
Desay Madu Jhyā is a specimen of the woodcarving heritage of the Newar people of Nepal which goes back more than a thousand years. Newar architecture is characterised by artistic windows and doors set into bare brick walls. The intricate carvings mostly depict religious motifs, ritual objects, mythical beasts and birds. The level of design and carving of the Newar window reached its peak in the mid-18th century. They are found on palaces, private residences and sacred houses across Nepal Mandala.Desay Madu Jhyā is famed for being the only one of its kind. While most traditional windows are bay windows carved with elaborate details, Desay Madu Jhya is a latticed window with multiple frames. Its design looks like the bellows in an old folding camera.
The unique window is set into a house at Yatkhā, a street to the north of Kathmandu Durbar Square, the old royal palace complex. The street forms part of the ceremonial circuit in the historic section of Kathmandu through which chariot processions and festival parades pass. The window is a tourist attraction and is part of the itinerary on sightseeing tours of the city.Gelgel, Indonesia
Gelgel is a village (desa) that is situated in the regency (kabupaten) of Klungkung, on the Island of Bali, Indonesia. The village, which lies four kilometers south of the regency capital Semarapura, not far from the coast, contains a number of culturally interesting structures. It is known for its pottery and handwoven ceremonial songket cloth. The village mainly owes its fame to the kingdom of Gelgel, which dominated Bali from perhaps the early 16th century to 1686. There are no traces left today of the old royal palace (puri). The old ancestral shrine of the ruling dynasti, Pura Jero Agung, is still standing in the old palace area. To the east of Pura Jero Agung is another old temple, Pura Dasar, which is a lowland counterpart of the "mother temple" of Bali, Pura Besakih. The village also contains the oldest mosque of Bali, which was built by Javanese retainers of the old kings.Gorkha Municipality
Gorkha (Nepali: गोर्खा, formerly known as Prithbinarayan Municipality) is a municipality in Gorkha District in Province No. 4 of Nepal created in 1996. It was initially named "Prithibinarayan" after King Prithvi Narayan Shah, who was born in Gorkha and united and founded modern Nepal. In 2009, the name was changed to "Gorkha" municipality after the end of the monarchy in Nepal. At the time of the 2011 Nepal census it had a population of 49,272 people living in 13,127 individual households. In 2014, the neighboring Village development committees Nareshwar and Phinam were merged into the municipality.
The old royal palace (Gorkha Durbar), Gorakhnath and Kalika (temple of the goddess Kali) are the main attractions. The lower palace (Tallo Durbar) and a modern park are other major attractions. It is also the starting point of the Manasalu Himal (Mount Manasalu) and Mount Ganesh trekking route. Gorkha Hospital is the hospital and Drabya Saha Multiple Campus and Gorkha Education Campus are the two campuses serving the population.Kathmandu Durbar Square
Kathmandu Durbar Square (Basantapur Darbar Kshetra) in front of the old royal palace of the former Kathmandu Kingdom is one of three Durbar (royal palace) Squares in the Kathmandu Valley in Nepal, all of which are UNESCO World Heritage Sites.
Several buildings in the Square collapsed due to a major earthquake on 25 April 2015. Durbar Square was surrounded with spectacular architecture and vividly showcases the skills of the Newar artists and craftsmen over several centuries. The Royal Palace was originally at Dattaraya square and was later moved to the Durbar square.The Kathmandu Durbar Square held the palaces of the Malla and Shah kings who ruled over the city. Along with these palaces, the square surrounds quadrangles, revealing courtyards and temples. It is known as Hanuman Dhoka Durbar Square, a name derived from a statue of Hanuman, the monkey devotee of Lord Ram, at the entrance of the palace.Maru, Kathmandu
Maru (Devanagari: मरु) is a historical neighborhood in central Kathmandu, Nepal and one of the most important cultural spots in the city. It is linked with the origin of the name Kathmandu, and forms part of what is generically known as Durbar Square (including Kathmandu Durbar Square, Patan Durbar Square, and Bhaktapur Durbar Square), the old royal palace complexes of temples, shrines and palace buildings all of which have been declared UNESCO World Heritage Sites.
Maru is also a market square, a venue for religious festivals and a celebrated residential quarter. It is a crossroads where two ancient trade routes connecting India and Tibet intersect.Maru consists of a large square encircled by temples and rest houses. It presents an example of a temple square typical of traditional Newar urban planning. Streets radiate out from the square, and inconspicuous entryways lead to residential courtyards that are home to silversmiths and other craftsmen.New Road of Kathmandu
New Road (Nepali: नयाँ सडक, Nepal Bhasa: न्हु सडक) is the financial hub and busiest high street of Nepal. It refers to a two lane street in the center of Kathmandu, as well as the surrounding neighborhood. It is one of the busiest marketplaces in the city. Being near the midpoint of the ring road in Kathmandu, as well as the old center of Kathmandu (Kathmandu Durbar Square, also known as Basantapur, Kathmandu), it is one of the central locations in the city.
The road was built during the period of prime ministership Juddha Shamsher Rana after the 1934 earthquake destroyed many buildings in the Kathmandu Valley. It is formally called Juddha Sadak in his honor. The road can also be referred as old Kings Way of Nepal, as the road leads to old royal palace of Royal Families, Kathmandu Durbar Square which is a UNESCO World Heritage Site.
The inhabitants of New Road are mostly Newars.Niccolò Granello
Niccolò Granello, also Nicholas Granello and Granelo Nicolao (1553 - 30 November 1593), was an Italian painter established in Spain, specialized in frescos decorative painting grotesques.
Son of the first marriage of Giovanni Battista Castello ("Il Bergamasco"), Granello came to Spain while still a child, around 1567, accompanying his stepfather, and called by Álvaro de Bazán, 1st Marquis of Santa Cruz to work on his palace in Viso del Marqués. In 1571, his father died and he was appointed painter to the king for King Philip II of Spain. Granello performed some of the decoration of the golden tower of the old Royal Palace of Madrid, where he continued to work until 1575. He went to the Royal Monastery of San Lorenzo de El Escorial with his half-brother Fabrizio Castello and other team members who had accompanied his stepfather from Genoa, including brothers Gian Maria and Francesco da Urbino, Francesco da Viana and others, with whom he worked continuously in the decoration of vaults and some walls of various units of the basilica and monastery of El Escorial until his death.Nyanza, Rwanda
Nyanza (also known as Nyabisindu) is a town located in Nyanza District in the Southern Province of Rwanda.
The old Royal Palace of the Rwandan monarchy is located in the town of Nyanza. It is now the Rwesero Art Museum.
Nyanza was the capital of the Kingdom of Rwanda from 1958 to 1962.
During the Rwandan Genocide the town of Nyanza was the site of a large massacre of Tutsis and Moderate Hutus.Old Royal Palace (Prague)
The Old Royal Palace (Czech: Starý královský palác) is part of the Prague Castle, Czech Republic. Its history dates back to the 12th century and it is designed in the Gothic and Renaissance styles. Its Vladislav Hall is used for inaugurations, being the most important representative hall in the country. It is also home to a copy of the Czech crown.Royal Palace (disambiguation)
Royal Palace may refer to:
A royal palace
list of royal palaces
Palais-Royal, Paris, France
Royal Palace (horse) (1964-1991) a British racehorse
Royal Palace Museum (disambiguation)Sivaganga Palace
Sivaganga Palace is a palace in Sivaganga district, Tamil Nadu, southern India, about 40 kilometres (25 mi) from Madurai. It is an old royal palace, with many historical connections. The palace was used as residence by queens Velu Nachiyar (1780–90), Vellacci Nachiyar (1790–93) and Rani Kaathama Nachiar (1864–77). No remains of the original Sivaganga Palace exist, but a new palace, known as "Gowri Vilasam", was built by Padamathur Gowry Vallabha Thevar (1801-1829) in the year 19th century. A heritage site of Chettinad, it was the property of Rani Velu Nachiar.Syntagma Square
Syntagma Square (Greek: Πλατεία Συντάγματος, pronounced [plaˈtia sinˈdaɣmatos], "Constitution Square") is the central square of Athens. The square is named after the Constitution that Otto, the first King of Greece, was obliged to grant after a popular and military uprising on 3 September 1843. It is located in front of the 19th century Old Royal Palace, housing the Greek Parliament since 1934. Syntagma Square is the most important square of modern Athens from both a historical and social point of view, at the heart of commercial activity and Greek politics. The name Syntagma (Greek: Σύνταγμα) alone also refers to the neighbourhood surrounding the square.Tomb of the Unknown Soldier (Athens)
The Tomb of the Unknown Soldier (Greek: Μνημείο του Αγνώστου Στρατιώτη, translit. Mnimío tou Agnóstou Stratióti) is a war memorial located in Syntagma Square in Athens, in front of the Old Royal Palace. It is a cenotaph dedicated to the Greek soldiers killed during war. It was sculpted between 1930 and 1932 by sculptor Fokion Rok.
The tomb is guarded by the Evzones of the Presidential Guard.Vasilissis Sofias Avenue
Vasilissis Sofias Avenue (Greek: Λεωφόρος Βασιλίσσης Σοφίας) is a major avenue in the east side of Athens, the Greek capital. The avenue was originally part of the Kifisias Avenue. The part from Syntagma Square to the intersection with Alexandras Avenue was renamed after Queen Sophia, the consort of King Constantine I. The avenue begins at the intersections of Amalias Avenue and Panepistimiou Street and ends by Alexandras, Kifissias and Mesogeion Avenues as well as Feidippou Street, with a total length of approximately 3 km. A section of the avenue is part of the old GR-1, and a branch of GR-54.
As many historical buildings and landmarks are located on the avenue, such as the Old Royal Palace (today housing the Greek Parliament) and the National Gardens of Athens, the mansions of very important Greeks and foreigners (today most of them housing embassies and museums) (e.g. the residence of the Greek Prime Minister Eleutherios Venizelos-now part of the British embassy, the mansion of Sophie de Marbois-Lebrun, Duchess of Plaisance-now the Byzantine and Christian Museum, the mansion of business magnate and tycoon Othon Stathatos-today part of the Goulandris Museum of Cycladic Art), Vasilissis Sofias Avenue is one of the most chic and prestigious streets in the Greek capital. Because of the very high price of land on this street, most of the buildings seen on Vasilissis Sofias Avenue were mainly built in the 1950s-1960s, but others built in the beginnings of the 20th century are also commonly seen. Except from residences, medical doctors' private practices, banks, museums, embassies and high-end hotels are common on this historical street.
The westbound lanes turn into Amalias Avenue and Panepistimiou Street, and the northbound of Amalias turns into Vasileias Sofias Avenue and Panepistimiou Street ; there is no traffic flow from the eastbound of Panepistimiou Street as it forms a one-way route westbound, and since the 2000s transit traffic has been excluded. Three Athens Metro stations (Line 3) are on, or near, Vassilissis Sofias Avenue: Syntagma, Evangelismos, Megaro Moussikis (the Evangelismos station is on the avenue).Wat Phra Si Sanphet
Wat Phra Si Sanphet (Thai: วัดพระศรีสรรเพชญ์; "Temple of the Holy, Splendid Omniscient") was the holiest temple on the site of the old Royal Palace in Thailand's ancient capital of Ayutthaya until the city was completely destroyed by the Burmese in 1767. It was the grandest and most beautiful temple in the capital and it served as a model for Wat Phra Kaew in Bangkok.