Northward Hill is a 52.5-hectare (130-acre) biological Site of Special Scientific Interest Kent. It is a Nature Conservation Review site, Grade 2, and is also designated High Halstow National Nature Reserve The site is managed by the Royal Society for the Protection of Birds.
This site has mixed woodland, scrub, ponds, grassland and bracken. It has the largest heronry in Britain, with more than 200 pairs, and insects include the scarce sloe carpet and least carpet moths.
There is access by public footpaths from High Halstow.
|Site of Special Scientific Interest|
|Area of Search||Kent|
|Area||52.5 hectares (130 acres)|
|Location map||Magic Map|
Robert Ernest 'Bob' Scott (11 May 1938 – 26 March 2009) was a British ornithologist and Royal Society for the Protection of Birds (RSPB) staff member. He worked for the RSPB for close to 40 years, beginning as a warden and eventually becoming head of Reserves Management. He is credited with discovering numerous new British birds, four before his 32nd birthday. He retired from the RSPB in 1997 but continued to work in conservation in Britain and other countries, notably in Bulgaria where he had previously been awarded a medal from the government. He died of cancer in 2009.Heron Trail
The Heron Trail is 15 1⁄2-mile (24.9 km) long cycling trail that links with National Cycle Route 1 between Higham and Strood, then it heads around the Hoo Peninsula via Regional route 18 (now renamed National Cycle Route 179 ) passing through 'Hoo St Werburgh', 'High Halstow' and 'Cliffe' before returning to Higham. It has a mixture of rural and maritime interest, with views of the River Medway and River Thames.
In 2005, the RSPB worked with Medway Council to establish the route on the Hoo Peninsula.High Halstow
High Halstow is a village and civil parish on the Hoo Peninsula in the unitary authority of Medway in South East England. It was, until 1998, administratively part of Kent and is still ceremonially associated via the Lieutenancies Act. The parish had a population of 1,781 according to the 2001 census, increasing to 1,807 at the 2011 census.Originally known as Hagelstowe (in Textus Roffensis), Hagelsto or Agelstow, it was named from an Old English word denoting a high, holy place. The area has been occupied by Romans, Saxons and Normans.
The village lies on the junction of the ancient roads from Hoo and Cliffe to the Isle of Grain, now a crossroads to the north of the A228 road. One of the highest points on the Hoo peninsula, at 30 to 50 metres above sea level, the modern village consolidates into a single community the four hamlets of Clinch Street, Fenn Street, Sharnal Street and High Halstow Street.High Halstow NNR
High Halstow National Nature Reserve is on the Hoo Peninsula north of Chatham. It is also part of the Northwood Hill Royal Society for the Protection of Birds Reserve (which is 270 hectares of grazing marsh, woodland and farmland). It was declared a National Nature Reserve in 1951.The reserve and the woodland lies on the hill to the north of the village of High Halstow.
The woodland, is situated on London Clay, comprises large oak trees and hawthorn scrub, with several sycamore trees. English elm was formerly abundant but has largely been killed by Dutch elm disease. The woodland has a diverse flora with over 200 plants recorded, including trees and shrubs.
It is also noted for its diversity of butterflies. A number of rare moths have been recorded at the site. The sloe carpet (Aleucis distinctata), least carpet (Idaea vulpinaria) and a colony of the white-letter hairstreak butterfly have been noted on the reserve. Also nine species of dragonfly have also been recorded in the reserve.
The reserve is also home to a flock of nightingales. Also the UK's largest and most famous colonies of little egrets, they have been nesting at the site since 2000, reaching approximately 93 pairs by 2007.
The reserve may be visited either from (grid ref TR220606) the carpark off Northwood Avenue, to the South-of the woodland. Or from Buckland Farm (the RSPCA Farm and carpark), to west of the woodland. The reserve has a nature trail with attractive sea views and long distance views of the River Medway.
The Saxon Shore Way long distance path passes through the reserve between Cooling and High Halstow.Hoo Peninsula
The Hoo Peninsula is a peninsula in Kent, England (United Kingdom) separating the estuaries of the rivers Thames and Medway. It is dominated by a line of sand and clay hills, surrounded by an extensive area of marshland composed of alluvial silt. The name Hoo is the Old English word for spur of land and features in the Domesday Book as Hoe. There are industrial facilities associated with various energy industries.List of RSPB reserves
The Royal Society for the Protection of Birds (RSPB) is Europe's largest wildlife conservation charity.
This is a list of RSPB reserves.List of Sites of Special Scientific Interest in Kent
Kent is a county in the south-eastern corner of England. It is bounded to the north by Greater London and the Thames Estuary, to the west by Sussex and Surrey, and to the south and east by the English channel and the North Sea. The county town is Maidstone. It is governed by Kent County Council, with twelve district councils, Ashford, Canterbury, Dartford, Dover, Folkestone and Hythe, Gravesham, Maidstone, Thanet, Tonbridge and Malling and Tunbridge Wells. Medway is a separate unitary authority. The chalk hills of the North Downs run from east to west through the county, with the wooded Weald to the south. The coastline is alternately flat and cliff-lined.In England, Sites of Special Scientific Interest (SSSIs) are designated by Natural England, which is responsible for protecting England's natural environment. Designation as an SSSI gives legal protection to the most important wildlife and geological sites. As of May 2018, there are 98 sites designated in Kent. There are 21 sites which have been designated for their geological interest, 67 for their biological interest, and 10 for both reasons.
Sixteen sites are Special Areas of Conservation, eight are Special Protection Areas, twenty-three are Nature Conservation Review sites, thirty-three are Geological Conservation Review sites, eleven are National Nature Reserves, nine are Ramsar internationally important wetland sites, eleven are Local Nature Reserves, thirteen are in Areas of Outstanding Natural Beauty, one is on the Register of Historic Parks and Gardens of Special Historic Interest in England and two contain Scheduled Monuments. Seventeen sites are managed by the Kent Wildlife Trust, four by the Royal Society for the Protection of Birds and seven by the National Trust.North Kent Marshes
The North Kent Marshes, located in the north of the county of Kent on the Thames Estuary in south-east England, is one of 22 Environmentally Sensitive Areas recognised by the UK government's Department for Environment, Food and Rural Affairs (DEFRA). It lies within the Thames Gateway regional planning area.The north of Kent has historically been marshland and the part which still survives, stretching from Dartford in the west, to Whitstable in the east, has been recognised as one of the most important natural wetlands in northern Europe. Monitored by local land owners and wildlife custodians, the RSPB claim up to 300,000 migrant birds use the mudflats of the Thames marshes as a regular haven in their migratory journeys between the Arctic and Africa.The RSPB have over recent years acquired considerable stretches of Cliffe marshes on the Hoo peninsula. They maintain reserves at Cliffe pools, Northward hill, High Halstow and Elmley Marshes, Sheppey. The Medway Council's Riverside park at Gillingham is another example of managed open public access to the marshes.
The North Kent Marsh with its stable water level is an important habitat for the water vole. There are thirteen key sites throughout Britain. Shorne and Higham marshes, with parts of Cliffe and Cooling marsh, Allhallows and Grain marshes and the Isle of Sheppey among them.The marshes are protected by the Kent and Medway Structure Plan, and a strong local environmental pressure group. The marshes also offer invaluable natural flood protection for London.Northward
Northward may refer to:
Northward, Isles of Scilly, part of Old Grimsby, England
Northward (band), a band composed of vocalist Floor Jansen and guitarist Jørn Viggo Lofstad
HMT Northward, a requisitioned trawler of the Royal Navy during World War IIOutline of the Book of Mormon
The following outline is provided as an overview of and topical guide to the Book of Mormon:
Book of Mormon – sacred text of the Latter Day Saint movement, which adherents believe contains writings of ancient prophets who lived on the American continent from approximately 2200 BC to AD 421. It was first published in March 1830 by Joseph Smith as The Book of Mormon: An Account Written by the Hand of Mormon upon Plates Taken from the Plates of Nephi.St Mary Hoo
St Mary Hoo is a village and civil parish in Kent, England. It is on the Hoo Peninsula in the borough of Medway. According to the 2001 census it had a population of 244, falling to 238 at the 2011 Census.The first appearance of the name is in 1240. St Mary's Church at St Mary Hoo was the parish church and gave its name to the village, and although it remains a Grade II building, dating from the 14th century, it has been reconstructed as a private house. Formally rebuilt in about 1881 of local ragstone, it has an unrestored 15th century southwest window that is noteworthy.
Newlands Farmhouse nearby along the ridge track to Northward Hill is a Grade II farmhouse which was built in 1746.
The Old Rectory at St Mary Hoo is a Grade II house built in the late 18th century. It has a special place in scandals involving the royalty. The rectors from 1788 to 1875 were a father and son, both named R. Burt. The senior of the two, the Rev. Robert Burt, one of the prince's Chaplains in Ordinary, whose debts (of £500) were paid by the prince to release him from the Fleet Prison, performed the illegal marriage ceremony between Prince George (afterwards King George IV) and Mrs Fitzherbert in 1785. A plaque commemorating this event remains hidden in the old church of St Mary.
St Mary's Hall, also at St Mary Hoo, was built in the 17th century and added to in 1830. It was the home of the Victorian farm innovator Henry Pye between 1845 and 1909.
Fenn Farm House was built in the 15th century. In 1760 it was re-faced during the reign of George II. It was listed as a Grade 2 historic building in 2001.