North Providence, Rhode Island
|• Mayor||Charles A. Lombardi|
|• Town Council||Stephen L. Feola (D)|
Ronald Baccala, Jr. (D)
Stefano Famiglietti (D)
Dino P. Autiello (D)
Kenneth Amoriggi (D)
William Warren (D)
Mansuet J. Giusti (D)
|• Total||5.9 sq mi (15.1 km2)|
|• Land||5.8 sq mi (14.6 km2)|
|• Water||0.2 sq mi (0.2 km2)|
|Elevation||184 ft (56 m)|
|• Density||5,627.7/sq mi (2,182.2/km2)|
|Time zone||UTC−5 (Eastern (EST))|
|• Summer (DST)||UTC−4 (EDT)|
02904, 02908, 02911
|GNIS feature ID||1219763|
According to the United States Census Bureau, the town has a total area of 5.8 square miles (15 km2), of which, 5.7 square miles (15 km2) of it is land and 0.1 square miles (0.26 km2) of it (2.07%) is water.
Within the town, there are several villages and neighborhoods, such as Allendale, Centredale, Fruit Hill, Greystone, Louisquisset, Lymansville, Marieville, Woodville, and Geneva.
North Providence is bordered by Providence to the south, Johnston to the west, Smithfield and Lincoln to the north, and Pawtucket to the east. Has a total of 7 elementary schools, 2 middle schools, and a highschool.
Settled shortly after Roger Williams arrived in 1636, North Providence was incorporated as a town in 1765. It originally included parts of what are today the cities of Providence and Pawtucket. Early colonial settlers built stone-ender houses such as the Joseph Smith House (1705), which is now listed the National Register of Historic Places. In 1874 the eastern part of North Providence became Pawtucket, resulting a large population drop.
Politics in North Providence
North Providence elected its first mayor in 1974; it is governed by a mayor and seven-member town council.
The town has had four elected mayors and one elected by the town council when the incumbent became Secretary of State:
From 1974 - 1994: Salvatore Mancini
From 1994 - 1996: G. Richard Fossa
From 1996 - 2007: A. Ralph Mollis
From 2007 - 2007: John Sisto
From 2007– Present: Charles Lombardi
The Centredale Manor Restoration Project Superfund Site
From at least 1921-1971, the Centredale Manor area of North Providence was contaminated by textile, chemical, and drum recycling industries that discarded toxic liquids and wastes into the surrounding soil and river (EPA 1999). In 2000, the United States Environmental Protection Agency declared a 9-acre (36,000 m2) area including parts of Centredale Manor and Brook Village, both affordable housing units for senior citizens, a superfund site. The agency documented high levels of toxic chemicals like dioxin, VOCs, and PCBs in fish as well as soil from the area. Because of this the area has been fenced off from the community with warning signs against eating contaminated fish, and is undergoing evaluation for clean-up.
Town Council Arrests
On May 4, 2010, three members of the North Providence Town Council were arrested by the FBI and charged in Federal Court with taking a $25,000 bribe so that a developer could build a supermarket in their town.
The town has two major parks, Governor John A. Notte Memorial Park and Capt. Stephen Olney Memorial Park, both have various sports fields, playgrounds; Gov. Notte Park has a freshwater beach and campground.
In 2015, Camp Meehan opened at Gov. Notte Park. Mayor Lombardi championed the sale of the land to the town of North Providence after it was to be built over by condominium housing. The Mayor allowed the land to be beautified using grant funds which were awarded to the town. Camp Meehan includes a newly renovated, modern building overlooking the Wenscott Reservoir which can house 250 guests for weddings and other such events. The Camp Meehan Hall held its first event in 2016.
North Providence has always been filled with lively events. Currently there are a few major annual events:
|U.S. Decennial Census|
As of the census of 2000, there were 32,523 people, 14,209 households, and 8,368 families residing in the town. The population density was 5,720.2 people per square mile (2,207.0/km²). There were 14,867 housing units at an average density of 2,623.9 per square mile (1,012.4/km²). The racial makeup of the town was 91.98% White, 2.65% African American, 0.17% Native American, 1.85% Asian, 0.02% Pacific Islander, 1.58% from other races, and 1.76% from two or more races. 3.85% of the population were Hispanic or Latino of any race.
There were 14,351 households out of which 22.4% had children under the age of 18 living with them, 44.5% were married couples living together, 11.5% had a female householder with no husband present, and 40.5% were non-families. 34.8% of all households were made up of individuals and 13.8% had someone living alone who was 65 years of age or older. The average household size was 2.23 and the average family size was 2.91.
In the town, the population was spread out with 18.3% under the age of 18, 7.5% from 18 to 24, 30.3% from 25 to 44, 24.1% from 45 to 64, and 19.7% who were 65 years of age or older. The median age was 41 years. For every 100 females, there were 87.4 males. For every 100 females age 18 and over, there were 83.5 males.
The median income for a household in the town was $37,897, and the median income for a family was $52,795. Males had a median income of $34,352 versus $27,553 for females. The per capita income for the town was $22,284. About 5.6% of families and 8.1% of the population were below the poverty line, including 9.8% of those under age 18 and 8.7% of those age 65 or over.
Allendale Mill is a historic mill at 494 Woonasquatucket Avenue in North Providence, Rhode Island, on the banks of the Woonasquatucket River.
The oldest buildings in the mill complex were built in 1822 by John Holden Greene for Zachariah Allen. The mill had various fire safety devices that were advanced for the time, including "heavy fire doors, sprinkler system, rotary fire pump, and copper-riveted fire hose to be used in American textile mills. In addition, Allen built a heavy fire wall separating the picker room (filled with highly flammable cotton fibers) from the rest of the mill and set the roofshingles in mortar." The second building, also of 1822, was a company store building. It still stands next to the mill, facing Woonasquatucket Avenue.
Several additions were built onto the original building during the late 19th and 20th centuries. The first was a plain, white, 5-bay section in 1880. Later, two identical 9-bay red-brick additions were built in 1910 and 1947.The mill's 6 buildings over 5 acres (2.0 ha) were listed on the National Register of Historic Places in 1973.Arthur Corvese
Arthur J. Corvese (born January 14, 1956 in Washington, D.C.) is an American politician and a Democratic member of the Rhode Island House of Representatives representing District 55 since January 2003. Corvese served consecutively from January 1999 until January 2003 in the District 71 seat.Capt. Stephen Olney House
The Captain Stephen Olney House is a historic site at 138 Smithfield Road in North Providence, Rhode Island. It is a 2-1/2 story wood frame structure, five bays wide, with a pair of interior chimneys. The principal exterior decoration is in the front door surround, which features pilasters supporting an entablature and gable pediment. The house was built in 1802 by Stephen Olney, a veteran of the American Revolutionary War, on what was then a large farm. His descendants enlarged the house in the 1840s, adding an ell to the south.The house was listed on the National Register of Historic Places in 1974.Cody Wild
Cody Wild (born June 5, 1987) is an American professional ice hockey defenseman.Elisha Brown
Elisha Brown (25 May 1717 – 20 April 1802) was a deputy governor of the Colony of Rhode Island and Providence Plantations. He was the son of James and Mary (Harris) Brown, and the great grandson of early Rhode Island settler and Baptist minister Chad Brown. Brown was a member of the General Assembly, and possessed a large property, which was lost during the financial difficulties of the mid-18th century. During the Ward-Hopkins controversy, he sided with Samuel Ward, and during Ward's term as governor from 1765 to 1767, Brown was selected as his deputy governor.Later in life, Brown moved to Wenscutt, located in North Providence, Rhode Island, and became a member of the Society of Friends. He had first married Martha, the daughter of John and Deborah (Angell) Smith, and a great granddaughter of both colonial president Gregory Dexter as well as Roger Williams' associate Thomas Angell. Following her death, he married Hannah Cushing, the widow of Elijah Cushing, and the daughter of James Barker.He was the uncle of wealthy businessman John Brown and anti-slavery activist Moses Brown.Ernie DiGregorio
Ernest DiGregorio (born January 15, 1951), also known as "Ernie D.", is an American former National Basketball Association player. He was the 1973–74 NBA Rookie of the Year and holds the NBA rookie record for assists in a single game with 25. Due to a severe knee injury suffered early in DiGregorio's professional career, he played only five NBA seasons.Greystone Historic District
The Greystone Historic District is a historic district encompassing the early 20th-century mill village of Greystone in North Providence, Rhode Island. The district most significant elements is the Greystone Mill, a complex of brick industrial buildings on the North Providence side of the Woonasquatucket River, as well as the dam spanning the river and a water tank in Johnston. The village, entirely in North Providence, was developed between 1904 and 1912 by Joseph Benn and Company, the mill proprietors, to provide housing for its workers. The main focus of the village is on junction of Greystone Road and Oakleigh Avenue. The company built a variety of housing types, including duplexes and tenements, which line some of the side streets. There are four houses, dating as far back as 1822, that predate the primary industrial activity here. The most prominent feature of the village is the Greystone (Primitive) Methodist Church on Oakleigh Avenue.The district was listed on the National Register of Historic Places in 2008.Greystone Mill Historic District
The Greystone Mill Historic District encompasses an early 20th-century textile mill complex on Greystone Avenue in Johnston and North Providence, Rhode Island. The complex consists of three brick buildings on the North Providence side of the Woonasquatucket River, a dam spanning the river, and a water tank near the dam in Johnston. The main structure consists of a series of structures combined to form a rambling structure, built between 1904 and 1911 to designs by Frank Sheldon and Son, an architectural firm that was a leading designer of textile facilities at the time.The mill complex was listed on the National Register of Historic Places in 2004. Its elements also contribute to the Greystone Historic District, listed in 2008.Jim Gilchrist
James Walter Gilchrist Jr. is an American political activist and the co-founder and president of the Minuteman Project, an activist group whose aim is to prevent illegal immigration across the southern border of the United States.Joseph Smith House
The Joseph Smith House is a historic house at 109 Smithfield Road in North Providence, Rhode Island, United States. It is a 2½-story wood frame house, six bays wide, with a shed-style addition to the rear giving it a saltbox appearance. The oldest portion of this house, built around 1705, is a classical Rhode Island stone-ender house, whose large chimney has since been completely enclosed in the structure. The lower levels of this chimney are believed to predate King Philip's War (1675–76), when the previous house was burned. The 1705 house was built by Joseph Smith, grandson of John Smith, one of Rhode Island's first settlers. It was greatly enlarged in 1762 by Daniel Jenckes, a judge from a prominent Rhode Island family, for his son, and was for many years in the hands of Jenckes' descendants. The house is the only known surviving stone-ender in North Providence.The house was listed on the National Register of Historic Places in 1978.Lymansville Company Mill
The Lymansville Company Mill is a historic industrial complex at 184 Woonasquatucket Avenue in North Providence, Rhode Island. The oldest portion of the complex, a three-story brick building which originally a textile spinning and carding building, was built in 1884. The mill was significantly expanded in subsequent years, with its last addition taking place in 1951. The Lymansville Company was founded in 1884 and closed in 1957. Auguste Albert Sack, the leading partner in the company, was a German immigrant with significant work experience in New England's textile industry.The complex was listed on the National Register of Historic Places in 2012.In 2016, a developer announced a $14-million plan to develop 101 apartments in the complex. The plan received a state historic building tax credit, as well as town tax incentives.National Register of Historic Places listings in North Providence, Rhode Island
This is a list of Registered Historic Places in North Providence, Rhode Island.
This National Park Service list is complete through NPS recent listings posted June 7, 2019.Otis Angell Gristmill
The Otis Angell Gristmill is a historic mill in Governor John Notte Memorial Park, North Providence, Rhode Island. Built about 1855, it is a well-preserved example of a small 19th-century industrial site, with a stone mill building and a small mill pond. The site was added to the National Register of Historic Places in 2017. The mill building now serves as a local community center.Our Lady of Fatima Hospital (North Providence)
Our Lady of Fatima Hospital (more commonly Fatima Hospital) is a for-profit hospital in North Providence, Rhode Island, which opened in 1954. The hospital is sponsored by the Roman Catholic Diocese of Providence. The Diocese merged St. Joseph and Our Lady of Fatima Hospitals in the 1970s.Ralph Mollis
Angelo Ralph Mollis (born May 24, 1961) is an American politician who served as the Secretary of State of Rhode Island from 2007 to 2015. A member of the Democratic Party, he assumed office on January 1, 2007. He was reelected to a second term beginning January 4, 2011 and was succeeded by fellow Democrat Nellie Gorbea on January 6, 2015.Rhode Island Route 15
Rhode Island Route 15 (Route 15) is a state highway in the U.S. state of Rhode Island. The highway runs 8.3 miles (13.4 km) from U.S. Route 44 (US 44) in North Providence east through Pawtucket to the Massachusetts state line, where the highway continues as Massachusetts Route 15 for 0.23 miles (0.37 km) to Massachusetts Route 152 in Seekonk.Sean Brackett
Sean Brackett (born November 3, 1991) is an American football quarterback for the Massachusetts Pirates of the National Arena League (NAL). He played college football at Columbia University.Whipple–Angell–Bennett House
The Whipple–Angell–Bennett House is an historic house at 157 Olney Avenue in North Providence, Rhode Island. It is a 1-1/2 story gambrel-roofed wood frame structure, four bays wide, with a series of additions extending it to the north and east. Built in 1766, it is one of only two surviving gambrel-roofed 18th-century houses in North Providence. Its additions exhibit the adaptive reuse of and changes in vernacular style in the 19th and early 20th centuries. The interior of the house has retained a great deal of integrity, with original woodwork, plasterwork, and door hardware.The house was listed on the National Register of Historic Places in 1995.William O'Brien (Rhode Island politician)
William W. O'Brien (born July 27, 1969) is an American politician and a Democratic member of the Rhode Island House of Representatives representing District 54 since January 1, 2013.
Municipalities and communities of Providence County, Rhode Island, United States
|Cities and towns|
|Cities and towns|
|Cities and towns|