The North Caucasus Military District was a military district of the Russian Armed Forces, which became in 2010 the Southern Military District and lately also included the Black Sea Fleet and Caspian Flotilla.
It comprised the Republic of Adygeya, the Republic of Dagestan, the Republic of Ingushetia, the Kabardino-Balkar Republic, the Republic of Kalmykia, the Karachay–Cherkess Republic, the Republic of North Osetia-Alaniya, the Chechen Republic, Krasnodar Krai, Stavropol Krai, and Astrakhan, Volgograd, and Rostov oblasts. It has the same borders as the Southern Federal District. Its last commander was Lieutenant General Alexander Galkin, appointed from January 2010.
|North Caucasus Military District|
Северо-Кавказский военный округ
North Caucasus Military District Coat of Arms
|Founded||May 4, 1918|
|Country|| Soviet Union (1918–1991)|
Russian Federation (1991 – 1 Sept 2010)
|Branch||Russian Ground Forces|
|Part of||Ministry of Defence|
|Decorations||Order of the Red Banner|
The District was originally established on 4 May 1918, and reorganized as a field formation during the Russian Civil War. The First Cavalry Army was formed in the District in November 1919. The District was reformed in the early 1920s with its headquarters at Rostov. Kliment Voroshilov was made district commander. During the 1920s and 1930s, the District became home to many training establishments, which were to multiply greatly during World War II.
In June 1941 the district's first line troops comprised the 64th Rifle Corps commanded by Major General A.D. Kuleshov with the 165th and 175th Rifle Divisions, the 26th Mechanised Corps with the 52nd and 56th Tank Divisions and the 203rd Mechanised Division (103 Mech Div?), the 28th Mountain Rifle Division, and the 157th Rifle Division. The 19th Army was formed in the District in May–June 1941 under former district commander Ivan Konev and was engaged against the Germans from the beginning of Operation Barbarossa. 50th and 53rd Cavalry Divisions were also formed here, joining the Soviet Western Front.
Later the District became the site of the battles around Rostov in November 1941 where the Germans suffered defeat, and the Battle of Stalingrad, which has been described as the most ferocious battle to date. Following the conclusion of the Battle of the Caucasus, the North Caucasian Front and the headquarters of the 56th Army were disbanded in accordance with a Supreme Command directive of the 20 November 1943. The Independent Coastal Army was formed, for the second time, on their base.
Immediately following the war, to demobilize the force, on 9 July 1945 the territory was split into three military districts: Donskoy, Stavropol, and the Kuban. The Donskoy Military District was located in the territory of the Rostov, Stalingrad, and Astrakhan Oblasts, the Stavropol military district consisted of Stavropol Krai, Grozny Oblast, Kabardino-Balkar ASSR, and North Ossetian ASSR, and the Kuban Military District comprised the territory of Krasnodar Krai (formed by the headquarters of the 60th Army). The Kuban Military District comprised the 29th Rifle Corps (73, 102nd Rifle Division and 217th Rifle Divisions), as well as the 9th Rifle Division. By summer 1946 the 29th Rifle Corps had been reduced to commanding the 8th, 9th, and 39th Independent Rifle Brigades. They were reexpanded into divisions in 1951. The staff of the Donskoy Military District was located in Rostov-on-Don, and was considered the heir of the traditions of the North Caucasus Military District. Among the formations in the Don Military District was the 6th Rifle Corps, which had arrived from Latvia in 1945. In early 1946 its three rifle divisions were reduced to independent rifle brigades (the 15th, 18th, and 46th, though the 15th disbanded in 1947).
In 1946 the Donskoy Military District was renamed again as the North Caucasian MD. The official Russian military website notes the work of the soldiers of the district in helping repair the ravages of the war.
The important Kapustin Yar test range was created in the District following the war.
In 1955 the district's forces included the 6th Rifle Corps (68th Mechanised Division and 372nd, soon to become 68th, Rifle Division). Other forces included the 29th Rifle Corps, 9th Rifle, 19th Rifle, 24th Guards Rifle, 46th Rifle, and 73rd Mountain Rifle Division, and the 1st Guards Tank Division.
In 1957 the 12th Rifle Corps became the 12th Army Corps (Soviet Union). At the time it controlled the 42nd Guards Motor Rifle Division and the 92nd Motor Rifle Division (Ordzhonikidze, Severo-Osetinskaya ASSR), which became the 19th MRD in 1964. In 1957 the 29th Rifle Corps became the 29th Army Corps, but nine years later it was moved to Belogorsk, Amur Oblast, in the Far East Military District.
The District was awarded the Order of the Red Banner in 1968.
In 1979 Scott and Scott reported the District's HQ address as Rostov-na-Donu 18, Ulitsa Tekucheva, Dom 135.
In 1980 the 12th Army Corps controlled the 9th Motor Rifle Division (Maykop), the 156th Motor Rifle Division (mobilisation) (Novorossiysk), and the 113th Motor Rifle Division (mobilisation) at Goryachiy Klyuch, Krasnodar Krai. The 113th Motor Rifle Division was formed in 1978, and in 1981 moved to Molkino, Krasnodar Krai. The same year, the 34th Army Corps controlled the 82nd Motor Rifle Division (Volvograd) and 197th Motor Rifle Division (Uryupinsk).
In 1989, the 14th Tank Division was transferred to the MVD, and retitled as the 100th Motorised Division for Special Use MVD.
The official website underlines the importance of the District as a border formation with the task of securing the southern boundary of the Russian Federation. The first conflict the District became involved in during the post Soviet period was the attempted secession of South Ossetia from Georgia to join North Ossetia, which is a federal subject of the Russian Federation. Soldiers from the District became involved in protecting installation in Vladikavkaz from irregular fighters in late 1992.
In 1990, there were three army corps in the district. The 42nd Army Corps at Vladikavkaz commanded the 19th Motor Rifle Division, the 12th Army Corps at Krasnodar, briefly to become the 49th Army, commanded the 9th MRD, and the 34th Army Corps at Volgograd commanded the 82nd Motor Rifle Division. Units directly under district command included the 110th Artillery Division at Buynaksk, the 173rd District Training Centre at Groznyy, one SSM, one SAM, one artillery, and one pipeline brigade. There were also reserve (no equipment) units: an artillery brigade, an anti-tank brigade, and a SAM brigade.
The former 8th Guards Army of Stalingrad fame, was withdrawn from East Germany to the site of its greatest victory, now named Volgograd, in May 1993. While being transferred to the Caucasus, it became 8th Guards Army Corps. The 58th Army's creation was announced on April 26, 1995; previously there had only been corps headquarters in the District (and the 58th was formed from the previous 42nd Army Corps headquarters). 8th Guards Army Corps was disbanded in 1998.
On December 1, 1993, the 136th Motor Rifle Brigade was established at Buynaksk, Dagestan. In 1996-97, the brigade was merged with the 204th Guards Motor Rifle Regiment "Uman-Berlin" as the 136th Guards Motor Rifle Brigade. The 204th Guards Motor Rifle Regiment was transferred to the North Caucasus at some point during the transformation of the 94th Guards Motor Rifle Division, returning from the GSFG, to become the 74th Guards Motor Rifle Brigade in the Siberian Military District.
In 2006 the District included the 42nd Guards Motor Rifle Division at Khankala, in the environs of Grozny in Chechniya, the 20th "Prikarpatsko-Berlinskaya" Guards Motor Rifle Division (which may have absorbed the 56th Guards Air Assault Brigade), the 33rd Independent Motor Rifle Regiment (Volgograd), the 131st Motor Rifle Brigade (Maykop – former 9 MRD), the 58th Army (headquarters at Vladikavkaz) with the 19th Motor Rifle Division, 136th "Umansko-Berlinskaya" Independent Guards Motor Rifle Brigade, and other brigades and regiments, the 4th Air Army, the Transcaucasus Group of Forces, the Caspian Flotilla, and other formations and units. These other formations and units included the newly forming 33rd and 34th Independent Motor Rifle Brigades (Mountain).
The District was the primary Russian military formation responsible for managing the Chechen conflict throughout the First and Second Chechen Wars. Insurgent activity slowly decreased in the early 2000s. Twenty-six soldiers won the star of the Hero of the Russian Federation in the first war, and 43 in the second.
In the first decade of the 21st century, the Armed Forces did not have the primary role in directing the anti-terrorist effort in the North Caucasus region. The Regional Operational Headquarters (ROSh), chaired by the Deputy Director FSB RF (Head of the department for protection of the constitutional structure and the campaign against terrorism) directed and conducted the counter-terrorist operation. Subordinated to it was the Combined Grouping of Troops (OGV) in the North Caucasus drawing on the Armed Forces, the Interior Troops, the FSB, and other agencies.
During the 2008 South Ossetia War, troops from this district were involved in combat operations in South Ossetia and inside Georgian territory.
The Southern Military District was formed on October 22, 2010, and the North Caucasus Military District was disbanded. Lieutenant General Alexander Galkin took command of the Southern Military District.
Order of the Red Banner North Caucasus Military District 2010:
The 10th Terek-Dagestan Army was a field army of the Red Army during the Russian Civil War which was formed on the basis of the Terek-Dagestan group of forces between March 7 and May 29, 1921. The troops became then part of the North Caucasus Military District.12th Rifle Corps
The 12th Rifle Corps (Russian: 12-й стрелковый корпус) was an infantry corps of the Red Army during the interwar period and World War II, formed four times.
The corps headquarters was briefly active between late 1922 and early 1923 as part of the Separate Caucasus Army, and again between early 1923 and early 1924 in Western Siberia. Reformed in 1930 and stationed in the Volga Military District, the corps headquarters moved to the Transbaikal in 1939. There, it was used to form the 36th Army in July 1941.
The corps was again reformed in late 1942 as part of the Transcaucasian Front, spending the war guarding the Soviet–Turkish border. From 1946 it was stationed in the North Caucasus Military District, and briefly became a mountain rifle corps between 1949 and 1954. The last formation of the 12th Rifle Corps became the 12th Army Corps in 1957, and was expanded into the 49th Army in 1992.13th Rifle Division
The 13th Rifle Division was a military formation of the Red Army from 1922 to 1945. serving in World War II. It was disbanded after being defeated in 1941 and reformed from a Leningrad people's militia division later that year.
The division was formed 13.07.1922 in Dagestan (North Caucasus Military District) on the basis of the 1st Dagestan Rifle Brigade. It took the honorific 'Dagestan.' It took part in the Soviet invasion of eastern Poland in 1939. During the German-Soviet War it was listed as serving from June 22, 1941, to September 19, 1941.
On 22.06.1941, it was stationed at the border area Zambra – Snyadovo, as part of the 5th Rifle Corps, 10th Army, itself part of the Western Front. June 22, 1941, was the first fight of the division, and on June 23 it retreated toward Białystok and on 24 June took up the defence of the river Narev. June 26, 1941, division received an order to retreat to Supraselskuyu Forest, where the division was falling apart in unorganized groups.
During late June – early July 1941 small groups from the division attempted to break through to the east, but were dispersed.
The division was formally disbanded on Sept. 19, 1941. It was reformed later that year. During the Sandomierz–Silesian Offensive, the division helped capture Dąbrowa Górnicza on 27 January. For its actions, it was awarded the honorific "Dąbrowa".With 59th Army of the 1st Ukrainian Front in May 1945. The second formation disbanded during the summer of 1945 "in place" with the Central Group of Forces.15th Army (Soviet Union)
The 15th Army was a field army of the Soviet Red Army during the Second World War.
The 15th Army, as part of the 8th Army, took part in the Winter War from February 12 to March 13.Reformed at Birobidzhan, Soviet Union, from the 2nd Red Banner Army in June 1940. It formed in July 1940 as part of the Far Eastern Front. Until August 1945 the army defended the Far Eastern borders of the USSR. On August 5 it was incorporated into the newly created 2nd Far Eastern Front. On August 9, during the Soviet–Japanese War, the 15th Army, consisting of shock troops, participated in the Sungari operation. Its advance units entered Harbin on August 20. Through the end of August the 15th Army destroyed the scattered pieces of the Japanese Kwantung Army. Conducted border operations through mid-1945. Participated in the Soviet invasion of Manchuria and the crossing of the Amur River in August 1945.
Composition April 1943
34th Rifle Division
39th Rifle Division
Novoye Fortified Area
203rd Tank BrigadeComposition August 1945
34th Rifle Division
361st Rifle Division
388th Rifle Division
171st Tank BrigadeIn October 1953, by the order of the Minister of Defense of the USSR dated 23 April 1953, the staff of the Far East Military District, the former 2nd Far-Eastern Front, was reorganised as the staff of the 15th Army, with its headquarters at Yuzhno-Sakhalinsk.
In May 1957, rifle divisions were reformed into motor rifle divisions. On 17 May 1957, the 56th Rifle Division became the 56th Motor Rifle Division (in this case the 357th Rifle Regiment was renamed as the 390th Rifle Regiment); The 41st Rifle Red Banner Division was renamed the 41st Motor-Rifle Red Banner Division. The 79th Rifle Sakhalin Division was renamed the 79th Motor-Rifle Sakhalin Division. All three newly renamed divisions formed part of the 15th Army.
On 1 April 1958 the 41st Red Banner Motor Rifle Division was disbanded.
In 1960 the army headquarters was moved to Khabarovsk on the mainland and assigned a new division, the 129th Motor Rifle Division at Khabarovsk. After briefly being renamed the 18th Army in 1967-69 it was renamed back to the 15th Army and assigned several new divisions, the 73rd Motor Rifle Division arriving from the North Caucasus Military District in mid 1968, two fortified areas being assigned (the 2nd and 17th), the 270th Motor Rifle Division being formed in 1970, and the 81st Guards and 135th Motor Rifle Divisions being transferred from the disbanding 45th Army Corps in November 1972.
In October 1993 the 15th Army was renamed the 43rd Army Corps.23rd Rifle Corps
The 23rd Rifle Corps was a corps of the Soviet Red Army. It was part of the 4th Army. It took part in the Soviet invasion of Poland in 1939.
On 22 June 1941 it was part of the Transcaucasian Military District comprising the 136th and 138th Rifle Divisions.The 45th Army was formed in late July 1941 in the Transcaucasian Military District from the Staff of 23rd Rifle Corps.
At the end of the war the corps joined the new Central Group of Forces in Austria and Czechoslovakia. In accordance with an order of the Central Group of Forces, the 252nd Rifle Division was transported by rail to the Soviet Union via Kaposvár, Budapest, Sighet, Rostov, and Mineralnye Vody, with the rest of the 23rd Rifle Corps from 20 December 1945. By February 15, 1946 the 252nd Rifle Division had fully arrived in the Stavropol Military District (merged into the North Caucasus Military District shortly afterwards).
The 23rd Rifle Corps was reformed in accordance with a General Staff directive of 4 March 1955 and a Ministry of Defense order of 13 June, by renumbering the 79th Rifle Corps in the Group of Soviet Forces in Germany. Its headquarters was disbanded on 4 July 1956, with its divisions directly subordinated to the 3rd Army headquarters.2S3 Akatsiya
SO-152 (СО-152) is a Soviet 152.4 mm self-propelled gun developed in 1968. It was a response to the American 155 mm M109. The development started in 1967 according to the Resolution of the Council of Ministers of the Soviet Union from July 4, 1967. In 1968 the SO-152 was completed and in 1971 entered service. Its GRAU designation is 2S3 (2С3). The fighting vehicle also received the additional designation Akatsiya (Акация), which is Russian for acacia.347th Rifle Division (Soviet Union)
The 347th Rifle Division began forming in mid-September, 1941, as a Red Army rifle division, in the North Caucasus Military District. It was soon assigned to the 58th Army while both it and its Army continued to form up before entering combat in November, as part of the offensive that first liberated Rostov-on-Don. During the German summer offensive in 1942 the division retreated back into the Caucasus, fighting to defend the routes to the oil fields at Baku, until the German forces began to retreat after their defeat at Stalingrad. During 1943 and early 1944 it continued to serve in the southern part of the front, taking part in the liberation of Crimea, before being transferred to the Baltic States region, serving in Latvia and Lithuania for the duration of the war, compiling a distinguished record of service along the way. In 1946 it was reformed as a rifle brigade, and its several successor formations remained part of the Red (later, Soviet) Army until 1959, when it was finally disbanded.43rd Cavalry Division (Soviet Union)
The 43rd Cavalry Division was a cavalry division of the Red Army during World War II.
It was one of the first cavalry divisions formed after the start of the war. The unit was formed in the North Caucasus Military District using the cadre and troops of the district's cavalry training grounds.47th Cavalry Division (Soviet Union)
The 47th Cavalry Division was one of the first cavalry divisions formed after the start of the war. The unit was formed at Novocherkassk in the North Caucasus Military District from reservists and the cavalry depots in the district's cavalry training grounds.4th Air and Air Defence Forces Army
The 4th Air and Air Defence Forces Army (Russian: 4-я армия ВВС и ПВО) is an army of the Russian Air Force, part of the Southern Military District and headquartered in Rostov-on-Don.
The 4th Air Army (4 Vozdushnaya Armiya) was a Soviet Air Force formation and from 1992 to 2009 was part of the Russian Air Force. From 1998 the army was designated the 4th Air and Air Defence Forces Army. It was first established on 22 May 1942 from the Air Forces of the Soviet Southern Front, and fought on the Eastern Front until 1945. In 1949 it was redesignated the 37th Air Army. It was reformed on 4 April 1968 in Poland, and was active there with the Northern Group of Forces for over twenty years, shifting to the North Caucasus Military District in August 1992. The arrival of the Sukhoi Su-24 drastically changed its tasking in the 1980s.
It became the 4th Air and Air Defence Forces Command in 2009 but was reestablished from the command in 2015.52nd Cavalry Division (Soviet Union)
The 52nd Cavalry Division was one of the first cavalry divisions formed after the start of the war. The unit was formed at Novocherkassk in the North Caucasus Military District likely from the reservists and cavalry depots in the district's cavalry training grounds.Aleksandr Postnikov
Aleksandr Nikolayevich Postnikov-Streltsov (Russian: Александр Николаевич Постников-Стрельцов; born 23 February 1957) is the former commander-in-chief of the Russian Ground Forces (since January 2010). He currently holds the rank of Colonel General.He was the Commander of the Siberian Military District since 2007. Previously, he held the positions of Chief of Staff and First Deputy Commander of the Siberian Military District (from 2006-2007), Chief of Staff and First Deputy Commander of the North Caucasus Military District (2004-2006), and Commander of the 20th Guards Army, Moscow Military District, (2002-2004).Aleksei Aleksandrovich Grechkin
Aleksei Aleksandrovich Grechkin (Russian: Алексей Александрович Гречкин, 26 March 1893 – 30 August 1964) was a Soviet army commander.After serving in World War I as an Imperial Russian Army officer, Grechkin joined the Red Army in 1918 and fought in the Russian Civil War. He rose through the ranks in the interwar period and commanded a division in the Winter War. After the Operation Barbarossa, the German invasion of the Soviet Union, Grechkin temporarily commanded the North Caucasus Military District, and as commander of the 56th Army operational group, led troops in the Battle of Rostov. He commanded the 9th Army and the 28th Army in 1943 and was deputy commander of the 3rd Baltic Front in the summer of 1943. After the war, Grechkin successively commanded two rifle corps and the Vystrel commander improvement courses before his 1954 retirement.Alexander Ivanovich Baranov
Army General Alexander Ivanovich Baranov (Russian: Александр Иванович Баранов) (born May 13, 1946) was the Commander of the North Caucasus Military District from July 2004 to May 2008. He is a recipient of the Hero of Russia award.Caucasus Frontier 2008
Caucasus Frontier 2008 were military exercises conducted by Russia starting July 5, 2008. The active phase was during the second week of July.
They were held in several regions of the Southern Federal District, including Chechnya, North Ossetia, Ingushetia, Kabardino-Balkaria, and Karachay–Cherkessia.
The units involved were from the North Caucasus Military District, mainly the 58th Army, the 4th Air Force Army, Interior Ministry troops, and border guards. Some 8,000 military personnel, 700 combat vehicles and 30 aircraft were involved.
The stated goals included practicing assistance to Russian peacekeepers in Abkhazia and South Ossetia, drawing protests from the Georgian Foreign Ministry.
The exercises were held less than a month before the 2008 South Ossetia war, and were almost concurrent to joint US-Georgian exercises dubbed Immediate Response 2008.Gennady Troshev
Gennady Nikolayevich Troshev (Russian: Геннадий Николаевич Трошев) (14 March 1947 – 14 September 2008) was a Russian Colonel General in the Russian military and formerly the commander of the North Caucasus Military District, including Chechnya, during the Second Chechen War. He was awarded a Hero of Russia award.Military districts of Russia
The military districts of Russia are a system of military districts in Russia that serve as administrative divisions for the Russian Armed Forces. Each district features a geographical territory based on Russia's federal subjects, and a headquarters administering the military formations based in the respective territory.
There are currently five military districts in Russia: four regular military districts (Western Military District, Central Military District, Eastern Military District, Southern Military District) and one military command (Northern Fleet Joint Strategic Command).North Caucasus (disambiguation)
North Caucasus or North Caucasian may refer to:
North Caucasus, the part of Russia north of the watershed divide formed by the spine of the Caucasus Mountains.
North Caucasian peoples
North Caucasian languages
North Caucasian Federal District created in 2010
North Caucasus Railway, a broad gauge Russian railway network that links the Sea of Azov (in the west) and Caspian Sea
North-Caucasus Federal University, with campuses in Stavropol and PyatigorskHistorical entities
Mountainous Republic of the Northern Caucasus (1917–20)
North Caucasian Soviet Republic (July–December 1918)
North Caucasus Military District (1918–2010)
North Caucasus Krai (1924–37)
Southern Federal District created in 2000 as North Caucasian Federal District and soon renamed; the current North Caucasian Federal District was part of the Southern Federal District until 2010.Vladimir Boldyrev
General of the Army Vladimir Anatolyevich Boldyrev (Russian: Владимир Анатольевич Болдырев; born January 5, 1949) was Commander-in-Chief of the Russian Ground Forces (2008-2010).
Boldyrev was born on 5 January 1949 in Krasnoyarsky, Volgograd Oblast. He graduated the Moscow Higher Military Command School in 1971, and Frunze Academy in 1978.
He served in various command positions in the Belorussian Military District, and later served in senior staff for operations department in the Transbaikal Military District. He later served as Commander of the 36th Army in 1994, and First Deputy Commander of the Transbaikal Military District in 1998.
In May 2001, he moved to position of the First Deputy Commander of the Siberian Military District, and later became commander. He transferred to the position of the Commander of the North Caucasus Military District in December 2002. He was promoted to the rank of General of the Army in December 2003.
In July 2004, he assumed position of the Commander of the Volga-Urals Military District, which was his third Military District commander position. He served at this position until he became Commander-in-Chief of the Ground Forces in August 2008. In 2010 he was discharged due to age limit.