Normal Park

Normal Park is the name of a former football field in Chicago, Illinois. It was on Racine Avenue between 61st and 62nd Streets, extending to Throop Street. Normal Avenue (or Normal Boulevard) is also sometimes given as one of its bordering streets, although Normal Avenue (500W) is about 7 blocks east of Racine (1200W), at least under the current city grid configuration.

Normal Park was the home of the Chicago Cardinals, who started out as the "Morgan Athletic Club" in 1898 and changed their name to "Racine Normals" after they began playing at the field.

Soon after, they became the "Racine Cardinals". According to legend, they assumed that nickname upon acquiring some reddish hand-me-down jerseys from the University of Chicago football team, the Maroons.

The Cardinals joined the new American Professional Football Association (soon renamed the National Football League) and continued to use Normal Park as their home field for several years and continued to be called the Racine Cardinals for a while. They changed their name again, to "Chicago Cardinals", to avoid confusion after the National Football League fielded a team in Racine, Wisconsin.

Starting in 1922, they split time between Normal Park and Comiskey Park before finally abandoning the old field in the late 1920s. The park no longer exists. On the Eastern portion of the site along Racine sits a Chicago Police Department facility and the Western portion of the site is occupied by single family homes built on a cul-de-sac where the field once was. The only evidence of the field is an otherwise unexplained discontinuation of Elizabeth Street, which abruptly ends halfway between 61st and 62nd Streets and then resumes again a half-block north at 61st.

Coordinates: 41°46′53.11″N 87°39′16.34″W / 41.7814194°N 87.6545389°W

External links

Preceded by
first stadium
Comiskey Park
Home of the Chicago Cardinals
1920 – 1921
1926 – 1928
Succeeded by
Comiskey Park
1920 Chicago Cardinals season

The 1920 Chicago Cardinals season was their inaugural season in the National Football League. The team finished 6–2–1, earning fourth in the league. Their final games of the season against the Chicago Stayms Foresters was played after the NFL season was officially over and didn't count towards the standings.

Although the Cardinals' existence traced back as far as 1898, this was their first season as a professional American football team.

54th Yard

The 54th Yard is a CTA rail yard for the Pink Line in Cicero, Illinois. Currently, 5000-series railcars are stored here.

Ashland branch

The Ashland branch (Englewood branch) is a 3.0 mi (4.8 km) long branch currently operated by the Green Line "L" of the Chicago Transit Authority, serving the Englewood and West Englewood neighborhoods of Chicago, Illinois.

Centro Cultural Matucana 100

The Centro Cultural Matucana 100 is a cultural center located in the commune of Estación Central in Santiago, Chile, near Quinta Normal Park. Matucana 100 is a not-for-profit corporation that hosts and plans cultural events and educational programs related to the contemporary arts including dance, theatre, music, photography, the visual arts and cinema. The center takes its name from its street address.

Chilean International Exhibition

The Chilean International Exhibition was a world's fair held in Quinta Normal Park, Santiago, between 16 September 1875 and 16 January 1876 to show Chilean people recent technological and scientific advances.

Chilean National Museum of Natural History

The Chilean National Museum of Natural History (Spanish: Museo Nacional de Historia Natural or MNHN) is one of three national museums in Chile, along with the Museum of Fine Arts and the National History Museum. It is located in Quinta Normal Park.

Comiskey Park

Comiskey Park was a baseball park in Chicago, Illinois, located in the Armour Square neighborhood on the near-southwest side of the city. The stadium served as the home of the Chicago White Sox of the American League from 1910 through 1990. Built by White Sox owner Charles Comiskey and designed by Zachary Taylor Davis, Comiskey Park hosted four World Series and more than 6,000 Major League Baseball games. Also, in one of the most famous boxing matches in history, the field was the site of the 1937 heavyweight title match in which Joe Louis defeated then champion James J. Braddock in eight rounds that launched Louis' unprecedented 11-plus year run as the heavyweight champion of the world.The Chicago Cardinals of the National Football League also called Comiskey Park home when they weren't playing at Normal Park, Soldier Field or Wrigley Field. They won the 1947 NFL Championship Game over the Philadelphia Eagles at Comiskey Park. Much less popular than the Bears, the Cardinals' last season at Comiskey was 1958, and they left for St. Louis in March 1960. The Chicago American Giants of the Negro American League called Comiskey Park home from 1941–1950.Adjacent to the south (across 35th Street), a new ballpark opened in 1991, and Comiskey Park was demolished the same year. Originally also called Comiskey Park, it was renamed U.S. Cellular Field in 2003 and Guaranteed Rate Field in 2016.

Gruta de Lourdes metro station

Gruta de Lourdes is an underground metro station on the Line 5 of the Santiago Metro, in Santiago, Chile. It is located close to the western branch of the Autopista Central and the Basilica of Lourdes. East of the station, Line 5 runs beneath Quinta Normal Park.

The station features a mined train hall and transept. Both tunnels, which have an oval cross section, were excavated from a deep open pit. A street-level pavilion with glazed walls contains the fare control.

At the platform level, the walls are paneled with rectangular tiles in blue tones, which are made of pre-painted perforated aluminum. The tracks lie 24.2 metres (79 ft) below street level.

Harvard station (CTA)

Harvard was a station on the Englewood Branch of the Chicago 'L' and was the northern terminus of the Normal Park Branch. The station opened on November 3, 1906 and closed on February 9, 1992. and demolished during the Green Line reconstruction of 1994–1996. The CTA considered constructing a new station at Harvard after they demolished the old station and a new park-n-ride lot that would have connected to the 63rd station on the Dan Ryan branch, Unfortunately, there was no money available and as a result, the CTA did not build the new station or the park-n-ride lot.

History of the Chicago Cardinals

The professional American football team now known as the Arizona Cardinals previously played in Chicago, Illinois as the Chicago Cardinals from 1920 to 1959 before relocating to St. Louis, Missouri for the 1960 season.

List of former Chicago "L" stations

This is a list of former stations on the Chicago "L". This list includes stations that have been demolished, partially demolished, and stations that are abandoned, but are not open for passenger service.

The majority of these stations existed on now demolished "L" lines, but some exist on current lines.

Million Dollar Backfield (Chicago Cardinals)

The Million Dollar Backfield was a National Football League (NFL) offensive backfield of the Chicago Cardinals in 1947 after an unprecedented amount of money by Cardinals owner Charles Bidwill lured several of the day's top players to the team. The Million Dollar backfield was also referred to separately as the Dream Backfield by Bidwill.

Normal Park branch

The Normal Park branch was a rapid transit line which was part of the Chicago 'L' system from 1907 to 1954. The branch served the Englewood neighborhood of Chicago and consisted of four elevated stations. It opened on May 25, 1907, and closed on January 29, 1954.

Quinta Normal Park

Quinta Normal Park is an urban park in the city of Santiago, Chile. The park is in a commune, or district of the same name, Quinta Normal. The park is bounded by Matucana Avenue to the east, Portales Avenue to the south and Santo Domingo Street to the north. It is home to several museums, including the Chilean National Museum of Natural History. Near the park is the Museum of Memory and Human Rights. The park is also near a public library.The park can be accessed by the Santiago Metro via the metro station that bears its name.

The park was founded in 1841 for greenhouses to cultivate foreign plant species. The park is 35.5 hectares (88 acres). The park is home to a railroad museum. The park is a place for children with a new water feature that children can play in and paddle boats. At the back of the park there are standing grills that anyone can use, to have a barbecue. In 1875 it was the site of the Chilean International Exhibition.Across the street from the north side of the park lies the Sanctuary of Lourdes, which includes a Lourdes grotto.

Quinta Normal metro station

Quinta Normal is an underground metro station on the Line 5 of the Santiago Metro. It is one of the largest metro stations in Santiago, Chile and provides access to Quinta Normal Park and Museum of Memory and Human Rights. Two glazed street-level entrances provide natural lighting for a portion of the station.

Santiago Museum of Contemporary Art

The Santiago Museum of Contemporary Art (Spanish: Museo de Arte Contemporáneo de Santiago or MAC) is located in Santiago, Chile. It is one of the city’s major museums, created in 1947, and is run by the University of Chile Faculty of Arts. Since 2005, the museum has had two separate sites: MAC Parque Forestal and MAC Quinta Normal Park.

The museum specializes in modern and contemporary art and focuses on the development, study, and dissemination of modern art through exhibitions and other activities. It also concentrates on protecting the cultural heritage that forms its collection, which is made up by over 2,000 pieces and files.

One of the museum’s sites is located in Parque Forestal behind the Chilean National Museum of Fine Arts (Spanish: Museo Nacional de Bellas Artes) and sharing its grand Palacio de Bellas Artes building. The other site is located in Quinta Normal Park.

South Side Elevated Railroad

The South Side Elevated Railroad (originally Chicago and South Side Rapid Transit Railroad) was the first elevated rapid transit line in Chicago, Illinois. The line ran from downtown Chicago to Jackson Park, with branches to Englewood, Normal Park, Kenwood, and the Union Stock Yards. The first 3.6 miles (5.8 km) of the line opened on June 6, 1892, and much of its route is still used today as part of the Chicago "L" system.

Division championships (7)
Conference championships (1)
League championships (2)
Retired numbers
Current league affiliations
Seasons (99)
Defunct stadiums of the National Football League
Early era:
Merger era:
Current era:
used by
NFL teams

This page is based on a Wikipedia article written by authors (here).
Text is available under the CC BY-SA 3.0 license; additional terms may apply.
Images, videos and audio are available under their respective licenses.