No. 5 Squadron was a Royal Australian Air Force training, army co-operation and helicopter squadron. The squadron was formed in 1917 as a training unit of the Australian Flying Corps in Britain, readying pilots for service on the Western Front. It subsequently became a naval fleet co-operation squadron, but was later redesignated as No. 9 Squadron RAAF before being re-formed as an army co-operation squadron during World War II. In the mid-1960s, it was re-formed as a helicopter squadron, before being disbanded in December 1989, when it was used to form the Australian Defence Force Helicopter Training School.
|No. 5 Squadron RAAF|
A Boomerang aircraft operated by No. 5 Squadron in 1944
|Active||June 1917 – May 1919|
April 1936 – December 1938
January 1941 – October 1946
May 1964 – December 1989
|Branch||Royal Australian Air Force|
Naval co-operation (1936–1938)
Army co-operation (1941–1946)
Utility helicopter (1964–1989)
|Engagements||World War I|
World War II
|Beau Palmer (1945)|
No. 5 Squadron was formed at Shawbury in England on 15 June 1917, as a unit of the Australian Flying Corps, under the command of Captain Andrew Lang, and was initially known as "29 (Australian) (Training) Squadron" of the Royal Flying Corps. During August 1917, Major Henry Petre assumed command of the squadron. Its Australian Flying Corps designation ("No. 5 (Training) Squadron, AFC") was officially recognised in early 1918. Equipped with a variety of aircraft, including Maurice Farman Shorthorns, Airco DH.6, Avro 504s, Sopwith Pups, S.E.5as and Sopwith Camels, the squadron provided training to Australian pilots in Britain during World War I. After completing their training with No. 5 Squadron Australian pilots could be posted to one of the operational squadrons but to begin with the squadron's main role was to train pilots and observers for service in No. 1 Squadron in the Middle East. Later, when equipped with Camels, the squadron supplied pilots to 4 Squadron, Australian Flying Corps. During the war, the squadron graduated on average of eight pilots per month, who were trained by combat experienced pilots transferred from the operational squadrons. No. 5 Squadron was embarked to return to Australia in May 1919 and was for formally disbanded on reaching Australia the following month.
On 20 April 1936, No. 5 Squadron was re-formed at RAAF Base Richmond as a naval fleet co-operation squadron by expanding No. 101 (Fleet Co-Operation) Flight. Equipped with the Supermarine Seagull V amphibian aircraft, the squadron's detached flights operated from Royal Australian Navy cruisers and the seaplane tender HMAS Albatross. No. 5 Squadron was redesignated No. 9 Squadron on 1 January 1939.
On 9 January 1941, No. 5 Squadron was re-formed at RAAF Base Laverton as an army co-operation squadron equipped with Wirraways. The squadron was relocated to Toowoomba in Queensland on 17 May 1942. On 17 November 1942, the squadron was relocated to Toogoolawah for three months before redeploying to Kingaroy. The squadron was partially re-equipped with Boomerangs in late 1943 and was assigned to several different stations in Australia. On 11 November 1944, No. 5 Squadron was deployed to Piva Airfield at Torokina on Bougainville under No. 84 (Army Co-operation) Wing, and operated with units of the Royal New Zealand Air Force, undertaking reconnaissance, artillery observation, ground attack, and aerial resupply missions in support of Australian ground troops fighting against the Japanese on the island. The squadron also operated detachments on New Britain and New Guinea.
In September 1945, shortly after the end of the war, the squadron received three or four P-40 Kittyhawks, but retained Boomerangs and Wirraways. In early 1946, the squadron was transferred to Western Australia, as a cadre, with the intention of rebuilding the squadron. However, No 5 Squadron was disbanded on 18 October 1946 at RAAF Base Pearce. During the war, 24 members of the squadron lost their lives.
No. 5 Squadron was re-formed in 1964 as a helicopter squadron equipped with Bell UH-1 Iroquois utility helicopters. The squadron saw active service in support of anti-insurgent operations on the Thai-Malay border and then in the Indonesia-Malaysia Confrontation.
On 12 April 1966, No. 9 Squadron RAAF at RAAF Base Fairbairn was renumbered as No. 5 Squadron RAAF (with a 'new' No. 9 Squadron promptly formed for deployment to South Vietnam as part of Australia's commitment to the Vietnam War. The squadron in Malaysia was retitled as No. 5 Squadron Detachment C, which was disbanded the following month, with its members returning to the squadron at Fairbairn. The squadron trained aircrew preparing for service in Vietnam and supported battalions training up for deployment to Vietnam. It also conducted search and rescue sorties.
In the mid-1970s and mid-1980s, the squadron contributed Iroquois to peacekeeping missions in the Middle East Egypt, firstly to Ismailia with the United Nations Emergency Force and then later to the Sinai as part of the Multinational Force and Observers.
The squadron acquired AS350B Squirrel utility helicopters in early 1984, and along with the Iroquois UH1-Hs, the squadron continued the training role and Army support, in addition to providing aid to the civil community in times of natural disaster. In December 1989, No. 5 Squadron was disbanded and absorbed into the Australian Defence Force Helicopter School (ADFHS) in 1990.
5 Squadron or 5th Squadron may refer to:
No. 5 Squadron RAAF, a unit of the Royal Australian Air Force
No. 5 Squadron RNZAF, a unit of the Royal New Zealand Air Force
5 Squadron SAAF, a unit of the South African Air Force
No. 5 Squadron RAF, a unit of the United Kingdom Royal Air Force
5th Special Operations Squadron, a unit of the United States Air Force
5th Space Operations Squadron, a unit of the United States Air Force
5th Space Launch Squadron, a unit of the United States Air ForceNaval squadrons:
5th Battle Squadron, a formation of the United Kingdom Royal NavyGround combat squadrons:
2/5th Commando Squadron (Australia), a unit of the Australian ArmyAerospace Operational Support Group RAAF
The Aerospace Operational Support Group was a support group of the Australian Defence Force based at RAAF Base Edinburgh. It was disbanded in 2016, and reformed as the Air Warfare Centre.AOSG provided integrated, deployable operational support to Air Force, Army Aviation and some Navy combat elements to ensure platform and crew survivability, battle worthiness and mission effectiveness. AOSG delivered information, protection, confidence and assurance to ADF aviation and EW capable Navy platforms and crew from acquisition, through transition into service and full operational capability with the operating Wing or unit.Air Mobility Group RAAF
Air Mobility Group (AMG) is one of six force element groups in the Royal Australian Air Force (RAAF). It is responsible for airlift and air-to-air refuelling operations.Beaufort Palmer
Squadron Leader Beaufort Mosman Hunter "Beau" Palmer, (14 December 1919 – 22 November 2011) was an Australian aviator of the Second World War who was recognised as one of Australia's finest wartime pilot instructors.Combat Support Group RAAF
The Combat Support Group is part of the Royal Australian Air Force.Forward Air Control Development Unit RAAF
The Forward Air Control Development Unit (FACDU) was a Royal Australian Air Force unit tasked with providing training in forward air control to RAAF pilots. It was formed in 2002 from No. 76 Squadron's C Flight and was merged with the RAAF Special Tactics Project on 3 July 2009 to form No. 4 Squadron.Governor-General's Flight RAAF
The Governor-General's Flight was a Royal Australian Air Force transport unit. The Governor-General's Flight was formed at RAAF Station Canberra on 4 April 1945. The unit was equipped with an Avro York named 'Endeavour', an Avro Anson and a Percival Proctor. Although the Flight initially only provided transport for the Governor-General of Australia its role was later expanded to include carrying the Prime Minister and other dignitaries. The Governor-General's Flight was disbanded on 10 July 1947 and No. 1 Communication Unit assumed responsibility for VIP transport. The Flight was re-raised on 1 July 1948 equipped with a B-24 Liberator and a Dakota. The Flight was disbanded for a second and final time on 1 October 1950 with the VIP transport role being transferred to No. 36 Squadron.Lincoln Conversion Flight RAAF
Lincoln Conversion Flight was a Royal Australian Air Force (RAAF) training unit. The flight was formed in July 1955 to provide operational conversion training on the Avro Lincoln heavy bomber and was disbanded in March the next year.List of Royal Australian Air Force Communication Units
During and shortly after World War II the Royal Australian Air Force formed 13 Communication Units. These flight-sized units performed a wide range of support roles including transport, supplying isolated garrisons and supporting training. The Communication Units typically operated small numbers of several types of aircraft.List of Royal Australian Air Force aircraft squadrons
This is a list of Royal Australian Air Force aircraft squadrons. The Royal Australian Air Force (RAAF) was formed in 1921 and traces its lineage to the previous Australian Flying Corps that served during World War I. The list also includes those squadrons that were under Australian and British operational control during World War II, and squadrons that were operated jointly by the RAAF and the Netherlands East Indies.No. 2 Air Ambulance Unit RAAF
No. 2 Air Ambulance Unit RAAF was a Royal Australian Air Force air ambulance unit of World War II. The Unit was formed on 1 March 1942 at RAAF Base Fairbairn and flew its first operational sortie on 7 March. No. 2 Air Ambulance Unit operated throughout Australia during 1942 and began flights to New Guinea in 1943.
Although it remained based in Australia, No. 2 Air Ambulance Unit supported the Allied forces engaged in the New Guinea campaign until the end of the war. Following the end of the war the Unit flew Australian prisoners of war home until November 1945 when its aircraft were transferred to No. 36 Squadron's Air Ambulance Flight. No. 2 Air Ambulance Unit was disbanded on 8 December 1945.No. 396 Expeditionary Combat Support Wing RAAF
No. 396 Expeditionary Combat Support Wing (396 ECSW) is a ground support wing of the Royal Australian Air Force (RAAF). Part of the Combat Support Group, it is responsible for the provision of combat and base support services and maintains the RAAF's "bare bases" at Weipa, Exmouth and Derby in the northern part of Australia's airspace. The wing consists of three expeditionary combat support squadrons, one combat support squadron, an operations support squadron, a combat logistics squadron and two support units, which are located at various bases all around Australia, and in Malaysia at RMAF Butterworth.No. 4 Forward Air Control Flight RAAF
No. 4 Forward Air Control Flight was a Royal Australian Air Force forward air control training unit. The Flight was formed on 1 April 1970 at RAAF Base Williamtown and was equipped with four CAC Winjeel aircraft. The Flight was responsible for training RAAF, Royal Australian Navy and Australian Army pilots and participated in most Australian military exercises. No. 4 Forward Air Control Flight was disbanded on 1 January 1989 and became 'C' Flight of the newly reformed No. 76 Squadron. No. 4 Squadron is the RAAF's current forward air control unit.No. 5 Flight RAAF
No. 5 Flight was a Royal Australian Air Force (RAAF) aircraft flight which was equipped with IAI Heron unmanned aerial vehicles. It was established in 2010 to operate Herons in Afghanistan. Following the withdrawal of the Heron detachment from that country in 2014, conducted training missions in Australia to maintain the RAAF's expertise in operating unmanned aerial vehicles until more advanced types are delivered. The Herons were retired in June 2017, and the flight was disbanded by the end of that year.No. 62 Wing RAAF
No. 62 Wing was a Royal Australian Air Force (RAAF) airfield construction wing of World War II. The wing played a significant role in supporting RAAF and United States Army Air Forces (USAAF) operations in the South West Pacific Area (SWPA).No. 85 Wing RAAF
No. 85 Wing is a Royal Australian Air Force wing. The wing is responsible for planning and coordinating training for the RAAF's Air Lift Group.RAAF Washington Flying Unit
The RAAF Washington Flying Unit was a temporary Royal Australian Air Force (RAAF) unit formed to ferry Australia's first twelve General Dynamics F-111C aircraft from the United States to Australia. It was formed in March 1973 and disbanded in July of that year after the ferry flights were completed.Seaplane Training Flight RAAF
The Seaplane Training Flight was a Royal Australian Air Force unit responsible for providing seaplane conversion training to RAAF air and ground crew.
The Seaplane Training Flight was established on 1 March 1940 at RAAF Base Rathmines in New South Wales. Initially equipped with two Supermarine Seagull aircraft the Flight received Consolidated Catalina aircraft in the second half of 1940 and a small number of Vought Kingfisher aircraft in early 1942.
As part of the expansion of the RAAF's seaplane units the Seaplane Training Flight was expanded to form No. 3 Operational Training Unit on 28 December 1942.Surveillance and Response Group RAAF
The Surveillance and Response Group is a Force Element Group (FEG) of the Royal Australian Air Force with its headquarters at RAAF Base Williamtown.
The group was formed on 30 March 2004 by amalgamating the Maritime Patrol Group and the Surveillance and Control Group. At this time it had a strength of over 2,100 personnel, and comprised No. 41, No. 44 and No. 92 Wings. No. 42 Wing became part of the group when it was re-formed on 1 January 2006.
|Article XV squadrons|
|Joint Netherlands-Australian squadrons|
Military units and formations of the Royal Australian Air Force