No. 101 Flight RAAF was a Royal Australian Air Force fleet co-operation flight equipped with amphibian aircraft. The flight was formed on 1 July 1925, and operated from the Royal Australian Navy seaplane tender HMAS Albatross between 1929 and 1933. After Albatross paid off the flight's aircraft operated from the RAN's heavy cruisers HMAS Australia and HMAS Canberra. No. 101 Flight was expanded to form No. 5 Squadron on 20 April 1936.
|No. 101 (Fleet Co-Operation) Flight RAAF|
Two Supermarine Seagull III seaplanes of No. 101 Flight being hoisted onto HMAS Albatross
|Branch||Royal Australian Air Force|
|Role||Maritime patrol, survey, artillery spotting|
|Joe Hewitt (1932–1933)|
|Patrol||Fairey III (1925–1926)|
Supermarine Seagull III (1926–1936)
No. 101 (Fleet Co-Operation) Flight was formed at RAAF Station Point Cook near Melbourne on 1 July 1925. The unit was initially equipped with Fairey III float planes, and began flying in support of the Royal Australian Navy (RAN) that year. In October 1925 the flight was transferred to RAAF Station Richmond outside of Sydney. On 31 March 1926 the first two of six Supermarine Seagull III amphibian flying boats which had been purchased to re-equip No. 101 Flight arrived in Australia. All of the aircraft were delivered by June that year, and at this time most of the flight's personnel were members of the RAN. In August that year the flight's base was relocated to the Queensland town of Bowen.
The flight took part in a survey of the Great Barrier Reef between mid-1926 and early 1929. Its role in this survey built upon trial flights conducted in the area by RAAF Fairey IIIs during 1924 and 1925. In August 1926 the flight's base was relocated to the Queensland town of Bowen. The survey of the Barrier Reef was conducted in company with HMAS Moresby during 1926 and 1927.
In 1926 the Commonwealth Government ordered a seaplane tender, HMAS Albatross, and the RAAF was instructed to provide an air wing for the ship once she was completed; the service had not received any warning that the ship was to be ordered, and was surprised by this decision. At this time No. 101 Flight's Seagull IIIs were the only RAAF aircraft which were potentially suitable for being operated from a seaplane tender, though Albatross' designers were not informed of this. In the absence of advice from the RAAF, they designed a ship capable of operating nine Fairey IIIs which fortunately had similar dimensions to those of the Seagull III. In January 1928 the Cabinet decided to not form a RAN fleet air arm, and directed that the RAAF would provide the pilots and maintenance personnel for Albatross's air wing while the RAN would contribute observers and radio operators for the aircraft. When embarked, Albatross' air wing would come under the control of her captain.
In February 1929 No. 101 Flight returned to Point Cook and began final preparations to operate from Albatross. Six Seagulls were embarked in Melbourne on 26 February that year. The role of No. 101 Flight while embarked on Albatross was to conduct reconnaissance flights, spot artillery fire and track hostile ships. As the Seagulls could not be launched from Albatross' catapult the ship could only conduct flying operations in calm weather, and had to stop to load and unload aircraft. Nevertheless, historian Chris Coulthard-Clark has judged that "despite the fact that embarkation of the Seagull III was an expedient which meant that only air operations of quite limited scope were possible, these planes were able to satisfy reconnaissance, gunnery, torpedo spotting and survey requirements provided sea conditions were favourable".
Albatross undertook a program of trials and operations in 1929. In April 1929 all of No. 101 Flight's personnel were recalled from leave as the seaplane tender made an emergency deployment from Sydney as part of the search for Charles Kingsford Smith's aircraft Southern Cross, which had gone missing during a flight off north-western Australia. The ship sailed on 12 April, but was recalled to Sydney six hours later after it was confirmed that Southern Cross had been located. During June that year, Albatross and No. 101 Flight took part in a large exercise involving much of the RAN and The New Zealand Squadron off Queensland. Following this exercise, the seaplane tender undertook a cruise to New Guinea during July and August with Governor General Lord Stonehaven and Lady Stonehaven embarked. In October Albatross participated in a joint RAAF-RAN exercise in Port Phillip Bay which tested the tender's ability to launch an air raid and the RAAF's ability to repeal such an attack.
From 1930, Albatross regularly conducted lengthy cruises around Australia, and to New Guinea and New Zealand, and training exercises with other RAN warships. When the tender was not at sea, No. 101 Flight operated from Richmond. During the early part of this period No. 101 Flight suffered from serious tensions as many members of the unit disliked their commander from December 1929, Squadron Leader Victor Scriven, who was an exchange officer from the Royal Air Force. Scriven behaved in a high-handed manner, and engaged in dangerous practices such as attempting to recover a Seagull on board Albatross while the ship was moving; this incident nearly resulted in the deaths of the aircraft's crew. On 19 March 1930 one of No. 101 Flight's Seagulls crashed during a fleet exercise near Doughboy Island off Tasmania, killing one member of the crew and badly injuring several others. On 7 August 1930 all of the flight's aircraft flew in formation over Brisbane. As a result of the low morale in No. 101 Flight, Scriven declared it to be unable to conduct naval co-operation tasks during late 1930 or early 1931. Following this incident he was relieved of command and replaced by Squadron Leader Joe Hewitt. During September 1931 and September 1932, No. 101 Flight aircraft made trial flights from the heavy cruisers HMAS Canberra and HMAS Australia respectively while these ships conducted cruises in the islands to the north of Australia.
During their early service from Albatross, the performance of No. 101 Flight's Seagulls declined due to wear on their mechanical components and growth in weight from rust and water soakage. As a result of these problems, by 1931 the RAAF found it difficult to keep Albatross's air wing up to strength. That year, the Seagulls were overhauled at Cockatoo Island Dockyard in Sydney; this improved their performance, and the aviation writer for The Referee newspaper jokingly suggested "a flying equivalent of monkey glands" had been used to rejuvenate the Seagulls.
In March 1933 it was announced that Albatross was to be paid off and placed in reserve as part of reductions to the defence budget. At this time the Sydney Morning Herald reported that No. 101 Flight's aircraft were "out of date", and that the seaplane tender herself was considered obsolete due to rapid advances in aircraft carrier design. No. 101 Flight was retained after Albatross paid off on 26 April 1933, and continued to be based at Richmond. The seaplane tender was briefly activated during several periods in the 1930s to support seaplanes which were visiting Sydney Harbour; on these occasions No. 101 Flight personnel formed part of her complement.
Following the decommissioning of Albatross, the Naval Board agreed to a proposal that No. 101 Flight regularly operate from the RAN's two heavy cruisers. Over time, this arrangement was extended to the service's other cruisers.
In August 1934 the Commonwealth Government approved the purchase of 24 Supermarine Walrus aircraft to re-equip No. 101 Flight as part of an broader expansion of the RAAF. These aircraft began to be delivered in early 1935, with Australia receiving her Walrus during a visit to the UK ahead of operating with the Royal Navy in the Mediterranean. In June 1935 the Chief of the Air Staff, Air Vice-Marshal Richard Williams, stated that the flight was to be expanded to a full squadron. No. 101 flight was renamed No. 5 (Fleet Co-Operation) Squadron in August 1936.
The Aerospace Operational Support Group was a support group of the Australian Defence Force based at RAAF Base Edinburgh. It was disbanded in 2016, and reformed as the Air Warfare Centre.AOSG provided integrated, deployable operational support to Air Force, Army Aviation and some Navy combat elements to ensure platform and crew survivability, battle worthiness and mission effectiveness. AOSG delivered information, protection, confidence and assurance to ADF aviation and EW capable Navy platforms and crew from acquisition, through transition into service and full operational capability with the operating Wing or unit.Air Mobility Group RAAF
Air Mobility Group (AMG) is one of six force element groups in the Royal Australian Air Force (RAAF). It is responsible for airlift and air-to-air refuelling operations.Combat Support Group RAAF
The Combat Support Group is part of the Royal Australian Air Force.Forward Air Control Development Unit RAAF
The Forward Air Control Development Unit (FACDU) was a Royal Australian Air Force unit tasked with providing training in forward air control to RAAF pilots. It was formed in 2002 from No. 76 Squadron's C Flight and was merged with the RAAF Special Tactics Project on 3 July 2009 to form No. 4 Squadron.Governor-General's Flight RAAF
The Governor-General's Flight was a Royal Australian Air Force transport unit. The Governor-General's Flight was formed at RAAF Station Canberra on 4 April 1945. The unit was equipped with an Avro York named 'Endeavour', an Avro Anson and a Percival Proctor. Although the Flight initially only provided transport for the Governor-General of Australia its role was later expanded to include carrying the Prime Minister and other dignitaries. The Governor-General's Flight was disbanded on 10 July 1947 and No. 1 Communication Unit assumed responsibility for VIP transport. The Flight was re-raised on 1 July 1948 equipped with a B-24 Liberator and a Dakota. The Flight was disbanded for a second and final time on 1 October 1950 with the VIP transport role being transferred to No. 36 Squadron.Lincoln Conversion Flight RAAF
Lincoln Conversion Flight was a Royal Australian Air Force (RAAF) training unit. The flight was formed in July 1955 to provide operational conversion training on the Avro Lincoln heavy bomber and was disbanded in March the next year.List of Royal Australian Air Force Communication Units
During and shortly after World War II the Royal Australian Air Force formed 13 Communication Units. These flight-sized units performed a wide range of support roles including transport, supplying isolated garrisons and supporting training. The Communication Units typically operated small numbers of several types of aircraft.List of Royal Australian Air Force independent aircraft flights
This is a list of independent Royal Australian Air Force aircraft flights. It includes flights which did not form part of a parent squadron and flying units of less than squadron status.No. 112 Air-Sea Rescue Flight RAAF
No. 112 Air-Sea Rescue Flight was a Royal Australian Air Force unit of World War II. The Flight was formed at Darwin, Northern Territory on 23 December 1944 and was equipped with PBY Catalinas. The Flight's role was to carry out search and rescue operations as well as air-sea rescue support to other aircraft during attacks on Japanese targets.
Following the end of the War No. 112 Air-Sea Rescue Flight evacuated former prisoners of war from Borneo and Morotai to Australia and provided a regular courier and supply service to Australian outposts in East Timor and the Northern Territory. The Flight was disbanded at Darwin on 16 September 1947.No. 1 Air Ambulance Unit RAAF
No. 1 Air Ambulance Unit was a Royal Australian Air Force air ambulance unit of World War II. The Unit was formed in February 1941 and was disbanded in June 1944 after seeing action in the Mediterranean Theatre of World War II.No. 2 Air Ambulance Unit RAAF
No. 2 Air Ambulance Unit RAAF was a Royal Australian Air Force air ambulance unit of World War II. The Unit was formed on 1 March 1942 at RAAF Base Fairbairn and flew its first operational sortie on 7 March. No. 2 Air Ambulance Unit operated throughout Australia during 1942 and began flights to New Guinea in 1943.
Although it remained based in Australia, No. 2 Air Ambulance Unit supported the Allied forces engaged in the New Guinea campaign until the end of the war. Following the end of the war the Unit flew Australian prisoners of war home until November 1945 when its aircraft were transferred to No. 36 Squadron's Air Ambulance Flight. No. 2 Air Ambulance Unit was disbanded on 8 December 1945.No. 396 Expeditionary Combat Support Wing RAAF
No. 396 Expeditionary Combat Support Wing (396 ECSW) is a ground support wing of the Royal Australian Air Force (RAAF). Part of the Combat Support Group, it is responsible for the provision of combat and base support services and maintains the RAAF's "bare bases" at Weipa, Exmouth and Derby in the northern part of Australia's airspace. The wing consists of three expeditionary combat support squadrons, one combat support squadron, an operations support squadron, a combat logistics squadron and two support units, which are located at various bases all around Australia, and in Malaysia at RMAF Butterworth.No. 4 Forward Air Control Flight RAAF
No. 4 Forward Air Control Flight was a Royal Australian Air Force forward air control training unit. The Flight was formed on 1 April 1970 at RAAF Base Williamtown and was equipped with four CAC Winjeel aircraft. The Flight was responsible for training RAAF, Royal Australian Navy and Australian Army pilots and participated in most Australian military exercises. No. 4 Forward Air Control Flight was disbanded on 1 January 1989 and became 'C' Flight of the newly reformed No. 76 Squadron. No. 4 Squadron is the RAAF's current forward air control unit.No. 85 Wing RAAF
No. 85 Wing is a Royal Australian Air Force wing. The wing is responsible for planning and coordinating training for the RAAF's Air Lift Group.No. 96 Wing RAAF
No. 96 Wing (96WG) is a fixed-base support wing of the Royal Australian Air Force (RAAF). 96WG was stood up in 2014 after the renaming of 396ECSW to 96WG. Part of the Combat Support Group, it is responsible for the provision of combat and fixed base support services and, through its subordinate Squadrons, maintains the RAAF's "bare bases" at Weipa, Exmouth and Derby. The wing consists of ten fixed base squadrons, which are located at various bases all around Australia, and in Malaysia at RMAF Butterworth.RAAF Washington Flying Unit
The RAAF Washington Flying Unit was a temporary Royal Australian Air Force (RAAF) unit formed to ferry Australia's first twelve General Dynamics F-111C aircraft from the United States to Australia. It was formed in March 1973 and disbanded in July of that year after the ferry flights were completed.Seaplane Training Flight RAAF
The Seaplane Training Flight was a Royal Australian Air Force unit responsible for providing seaplane conversion training to RAAF air and ground crew.
The Seaplane Training Flight was established on 1 March 1940 at RAAF Base Rathmines in New South Wales. Initially equipped with two Supermarine Seagull aircraft the Flight received Consolidated Catalina aircraft in the second half of 1940 and a small number of Vought Kingfisher aircraft in early 1942.
As part of the expansion of the RAAF's seaplane units the Seaplane Training Flight was expanded to form No. 3 Operational Training Unit on 28 December 1942.Supermarine Seagull (1921)
The Supermarine Seagull was a British amphibian biplane flying boat developed from the Supermarine Seal by the Supermarine company. The Seagull was constructed of wood. The lower wing was set in the shoulder position and had two bays. The engine was mounted in a nacelle slung from the upper wing and powered a four-blade propeller in tractor configuration. The fuselage had an oval cross-section and had a planing bottom with two steps.Surveillance and Response Group RAAF
The Surveillance and Response Group is a Force Element Group (FEG) of the Royal Australian Air Force with its headquarters at RAAF Base Williamtown.
The group was formed on 30 March 2004 by amalgamating the Maritime Patrol Group and the Surveillance and Control Group. At this time it had a strength of over 2,100 personnel, and comprised No. 41, No. 44 and No. 92 Wings. No. 42 Wing became part of the group when it was re-formed on 1 January 2006.
Military units and formations of the Royal Australian Air Force